Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>by the way, if you want a free 2009 Red Book.. act fast.. NACT is sending one out to the first hundred people who call or respond on this Web page:

free 2009 Red Book

this offer was blasted out in this morning's NN newsletter.. no strings, no shipping charge.. they don't ask you for a CC.. nothing.. (they'll probably add you to a mailing list you can opt out of later.. no idea..) .. i don't know if the 100 are already gone.. they might be by the time you read this..

disclaimer: i have absolutely no relationship of any kind with NACT.. >>

I'm in....let's see if I actually get one...Thanks!
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>by the way, if you want a free 2009 Red Book.. act fast.. NACT is sending one out to the first hundred people who call or respond on this Web page:

free 2009 Red Book

this offer was blasted out in this morning's NN newsletter.. no strings, no shipping charge.. they don't ask you for a CC.. nothing.. (they'll probably add you to a mailing list you can opt out of later.. no idea..) .. i don't know if the 100 are already gone.. they might be by the time you read this..

disclaimer: i have absolutely no relationship of any kind with NACT.. >>

I'm in....let's see if I actually get one...Thanks! >>

Whats the deal with the free red book?
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Free 2009 Red Book - Thanks for the information! image

Hope there are still some left... Board members post if you are lucky enough to get one.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Thx for the info, it did say I would receive in a few days, so we shall see..image Hopefully by then the power will be back on, lost the full fridge/freezer yesterday, big storms in MI DTE will not even answer the phone and it's over 90 deg again today, and my new baby girl was up all night again...I'm too old for this stuff....but free stuff sounds good...
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭
    I hope the redbook actually comes!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    that free redbook just cost you at least 25 trips to the phone (out of your lazy boy recliner, when you are watching your favorite movie) for NACT calling you to buy coins......

No thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>that free redbook just cost you at least 25 trips to the phone (out of your lazy boy recliner, when you are watching your favorite movie) for NACT calling you to buy coins >>

You put your REAL phone number in?????? image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

You will receive your free copy of the 2009 Red Book in a few days.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

-Paul
  • Options
    I just signed up and did not put a phone number. It went through and said I will receive one in a few days.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you all start another thread about the Red Book? Your hijacking this one! image
  • Options

<< <i>Can you all start another thread about the Red Book? Your hijacking this one! >>

Just making small talk while we wait for the price to rise........image
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    OK I am putting one up for a 10 day BIN (NGC ER 69), I can always lower the price a day or so before the auction, but obviously can't raise it. So what say ye of the "2008 Reverse 2007" thread, 625 as a BIN price for now? More? Less? I do use free shipping now, which is slowly raising my DSR on both shipping rankings.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK I am putting one up for a 10 day BIN (NGC ER 69), I can always lower the price a day or so before the auction, but obviously can't raise it. So what say ye of the "2008 Reverse 2007" thread, 625 as a BIN price for now? More? Less? I do use free shipping now, which is slowly raising my DSR on both shipping rankings. >>

I would say mid 5's would be better if you want to sell it. Who knows about the market in 10 days though. It might grow to you.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    The reason I said 625, was one actually sold for that over the weekend (BIN same ER NGC 69), if I got no hits by next Tuesday or Wednesday, I would drop the BIN and make it a starting bid of 450 or 500. Just an FYI, so you know my strategery. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭

<< <i>we already went through the shiney, non shiney, about 100 pages ago -

no price premium, not worth discussing >>

Why isn't this issue worth discussing? I remember the discussion 100 pages ago, but I thought there was no real conclusion as to why some of these coins have brilliantly reflective obverses and/or reverses. If the coins are somehow different than the majority of the coins isnt this exactly the type of thing collectors would talk about? I am not talking about selling these for a premium because of these differences I would just like to know what caused the differences.

Jeff
  • Options
    Me too.I have about 6 of these that look like reverse proofs on both sides.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, I have two NGC's. One is matte on the Obverse and shiny on the reverse.
    Ironically the other is shiny on the Obverse and matte on the reverse. How's that for a
    new Type or Typo as the case may be - Heh!
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I notice PCGS was slabbing them with the reverse facing out front. Now it seems they switch to slabbing them like any normal coin with the obverse out front. Anyone know why they switch?
  • Options
    I believe you have to request the reverse to show on front or they will automatically holder with obverse on front.
  • Options

<< <i>The reason I said 625, was one actually sold for that over the weekend (BIN same ER NGC 69), if I got no hits by next Tuesday or Wednesday, I would drop the BIN and make it a starting bid of 450 or 500. Just an FYI, so you know my strategery. image >>

I didn't know that. My impression was that the 69's get about the same or slightly less in some cases than raw. I thought I saw some PCGS first strike 69's go for low 500's. I thought the buyer got a good deal considering how hard it is to get the coin in that holder.

Edit: I correct myself. Looks like the PCGS 69 FS coins went in High 500's.
  • Options
    Seems that there is still a lot of confusion out there about these coins. One contributor in NN stated he did not know which design was the error since the mint shows a picture of a 2007 reverse in it's graphics for the 2008 ASE. Just shows how valuable this thread has been to those who have followed this issue.
  • Options

<< <i>I notice PCGS was slabbing them with the reverse facing out front. Now it seems they switch to slabbing them like any normal coin with the obverse out front. Anyone know why they switch? >>

Per requests. You want 'em reverse out they'll slab it reverse out.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    got my PCGS 70 FS slabbed normal (obverse facing forward)

thought about reverse facing forward, then thought it would not match the other coins in the collection

also, who wants to resend to PCGS to reholder (they offered to do it for free, I questioned them on this already) when you have the chance of that awful "environmental" conditions getting caught in the hermetically sealed holder and producing a BIG SPOT on her........no thanks
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems that there is still a lot of confusion out there about these coins. One contributor in NN stated he did not know which design was the error since the mint shows a picture of a 2007 reverse in it's graphics for the 2008 ASE. Just shows how valuable this thread has been to those who have followed this issue. >>

If you look at the Mint's image, it is now correct for the '08 redesign.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    That figures, there out of um now........

John Nanney........you still suck....thank you!
  • Options

<< <i>John Nanney........you still suck....thank you! >>

MAJOR!!!!image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    John Nanney........you still suck....thank you!

HMMMMM THANKS . . . I guess ! ! ! image

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    I submitted three ASE 2008/07's and four 2008/08's through NGC at the Balmer show. Is it true that you have to be a paid member in order to be able to track your submission (I only have the free membership provided through my ANA membership)?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>we already went through the shiney, non shiney, about 100 pages ago -

no price premium, not worth discussing >>

Why isn't this issue worth discussing? I remember the discussion 100 pages ago, but I thought there was no real conclusion as to why some of these coins have brilliantly reflective obverses and/or reverses. If the coins are somehow different than the majority of the coins isnt this exactly the type of thing collectors would talk about? I am not talking about selling these for a premium because of these differences I would just like to know what caused the differences.

Jeff >>

Jeff -- remember there have been naysayers from the get-go on the 08/07's -- saying they won't amount to anything...yadda...yadda...

NO ONE can really predict what will be, nor can they stipulate what is worth discussing vs not. If there is interest, let it pan out. I think your question deserves merit.

WHY are they this way? Were there different dies used? If so, then they would be varieties also -- no? Perhaps the FOIA request will shed some light.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    I sumbmitted 20 coins to PCGS at the baltimore show. 10 08/07. When do you think I should call them and about how to mount the coins. I also would like to be able to keep the capsules. Someone please give me some infor if the submitted anything at baltimore or if they just know more than I.

Shannon
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    163 auctions
    -69 55/163 33.7%
    -70 42/163 25.8
    Other 66/163 40.5
  • Options
    NGC POP as of 6/9 2008 W's: 11458

POP numbers increased by only 320 this week after weekly increases of 1409, 554, 411 the last few weeks....

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 4611 2 2257 2352
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6847 1 3756 3090
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    it is fun to watch the numbers for these;

populations, prices, percentages???

at what point will another major upward tick in prices realized for these things occur? if at all.
  • Options

<< <i>I sumbmitted 20 coins to PCGS at the baltimore show. 10 08/07. When do you think I should call them and about how to mount the coins. I also would like to be able to keep the capsules. Someone please give me some infor if the submitted anything at baltimore or if they just know more than I.

Shannon >>

If you want them encapsulated with the reverse of the coin showing on the front of the slab, you have to send customer service an email if you did not write it on your submission form. I would do it ASAP if I were you. I submitted two 08/07 at the b-more show and they were put into the system yesterday. I emailed customer service yesterday afternoon.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sumbmitted 20 coins to PCGS at the baltimore show. 10 08/07. When do you think I should call them and about how to mount the coins. I also would like to be able to keep the capsules. Someone please give me some infor if the submitted anything at baltimore or if they just know more than I.

Shannon >>

If you want them encapsulated with the reverse of the coin showing on the front of the slab, you have to send customer service an email if you did not write it on your submission form. I would do it ASAP if I were you. I submitted two 08/07 at the b-more show and they were put into the system yesterday. I emailed customer service yesterday afternoon. >>

So you are First Strike eligible on these two Jess?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    It may have already been mentioned here but Coin World this month has a couple of ads from dealers offering to buy raw 08/07's for $600.00, which is better realized price than e-bay.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>So you are First Strike eligible on these two Jess? >>

Yep! They are the only two First Strike Eligible coins I had/have. I ordered them back in march for some unknown reason (it was before the 08/07 discovery) and got super lucky. I had one more unopened box I took with me to Baltimore, my subscription box. It was a regular 2008.

I had a few Express vouchers that I used on these two coins and two First Spouse coins. They were received/entered by PCGS yesterday so hopefully I will have some grades by the end of the week! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So you are First Strike eligible on these two Jess? >>

Yep! They are the only two First Strike Eligible coins I had/have. I ordered them back in march for some unknown reason (it was before the 08/07 discovery) and got super lucky. I had one more unopened box I took with me to Baltimore, my subscription box. It was a regular 2008.

I had a few Express vouchers that I used on these two coins and two First Spouse coins. They were received/entered by PCGS yesterday so hopefully I will have some grades by the end of the week! image >>

Ya-Hooser's!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Would someone be so kind as to post the PGCS populations (by MS grade) for these: 393058, 396411, & 396437. Thanks...
  • Options
    PCGS No Date Den Variety Desig VG F VF 40 45 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Total Graded
    (All grades)
    393058 2008-W $1 Eagle First Strike MS MS68---- 4, MS-69---- 5,251, MS-70 --- 868 , TOTAL-- - 6,123

PCGS No Date Den Variety Desig VG F VF 40 45 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Total Graded
    (All grades)
    396411 2008-W $1 Reverse of 2007 Eagle MS MS68---- 7, MS69----512, MS70----37, TOTAL-----556

(All grades)
    396437 2008-W $1 Silver Eagle, Rev of '07 First Strike MS MS68---- 1, MS69-----1,445, MS70-----160 , TOTAL-----1,606

• Options
    I feel like this link is completely of track.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would someone be so kind as to post the PGCS populations (by MS grade) for these: 393058, 396411, & 396437. Thanks... >>

What's this have to do with 2008 ASEs?
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Would someone be so kind as to post the PGCS populations (by MS grade) for these: 393058, 396411, & 396437. Thanks... >>

What's this have to do with 2008 ASEs? >>

They are the PCGS numbers for 2008 ASE's
  • Options
    Right back on track and cruisin' towards 3600!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    these will not be registry coins, correct?
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>these will not be registry coins, correct? >>

I'm thinking they will be. Somewhere in this thread I read that either CW or NN was calling these coins varieties. Ahhhh...what do I know? imageimage
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>these will not be registry coins, correct? >>

I'm thinking they will be. Somewhere in this thread I read that either CW or NN was calling these coins varieties. Ahhhh...what do I know? imageimage >>

the reason i asked is the AH Kennedy were REMOVED from the PCGS registry sets and it would seem to follow some logic that the 08/07 would NOT be included in registry sets, but my knowledge is faint when it comes to this stuff.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>PCGS No Date Den Variety Desig VG F VF 40 45 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Total Graded
    (All grades)
    393058 2008-W $1 Eagle First Strike MS 4 5,251 868 6,123

(All grades)
    396411 2008-W $1 Reverse of 2007 Eagle MS 7 512 37 556

(All grades)
    396437 2008-W $1 Silver Eagle, Rev of '07 First Strike MS 1 1,445 160 1,606 >>

Am I the only one that sees these as a bunch of numbers all jarbled up, can't make heads or tails here?
  • Options

<< <i>Am I the only one that sees these as a bunch of numbers all jarbled up, can't make heads or tails here >>

I almost posted the same thought but held back figuring I was the dumb one...I think the 556 and 1606 are the totals slabbed for the 08/07 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file