Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I blew it! I was on the wagon for nearly five months. I broke down. I checked the local shops near my office. The first one was a vintage goldmine. The second had Heritage for $57. I bought two boxes. I have not opened the panels or the one buyback. Here are the refractors and GU I pulled.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Shawn, If I were you, I'd go ahead and file the complaint with the CC. It can't hurt, and that way the CC company will force Paypal to put the money back in your account. Your CC will protect their interests, and that will help you.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    I know what you mean, I've been on the wagon since A&G, but no more and at $57 a box I would have ended up with all they had.
  • Options
    Hello has anyone gotten official confirmation on the SP's. I am having a hard time determining which are which. The Black backs fall 1 per pack. And the Autos are as hard to get as last year.... Ouch!!!!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Sarge - here's your SP list:

11 luke scott
    231 kevin gregg
    315 jacque jones
    381 casey blake
    409 jon lester
    426 kyle lohse
    427 doug davis
    428 ian snell/matt capps/tom gorzelanny/paul maholm
    429 miguel batista
    430 chien-ming wang
    431 jeff salazar
    432 yadier molina
    433 adam wainwright
    434 scott kazmir
    435 adam dunn
    436 ryan freel
    437 jhonny peralta
    438 kazuo matsui
    441 emil brown
    442 gary sheffield
    443 jake peavy
    444 scott rolen
    445 kason gabbard
    446 aaron hill
    447 felipe lopez
    448 dan uggla
    449 willy taveras
    450 chipper jones
    451 josh anderson
    452 chris young/justin upton/eric byrnes
    453 braden looper
    454 brandon inge
    455 brian giles
    456 corey patterson
    457 los angeles dodgers
    458 sean casey
    459 pedro feliz
    461 chone figgins
    462 kyle kendrick
    463 tony pena
    464 marcus giles
    465 augie ojeda
    466 micah owings
    467 ryan theriot
    468 shawn green
    469 frank thomas
    470 lenny dinardo
    471 jose bautista
    472 manny corpas
    473 kevin millwood
    474 kevin youkilis
    475 jose contreras
    477 julio lugo
    479 tony larussa all star
    480 jim leyland all star
    481 derrek lee all star
    482 justin morneau all star
    483 orlando hudson all star
    484 brian roberts all star
    485 miguel cabrera all star
    486 mike lowell all star
    487 j.j. hardy all star
    488 carlos guillen all star
    489 ken griffey jr. all star
    490 vladimir guerrero all star
    491 alfonso soriano all star
    492 ichiro all star
    493 matt holliday all star
    494 magglio ordonez all star
    495 brian mccann all star
    496 victor martinez all star
    497 brad penny all star
    498 josh beckett all star
    499 cole hamels all star
    500 justin verlander all star
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are boxes 4, 5, and 6:

Box 4
    Miguel Tejada jersey

Box 5
    Johnny Damon bat
    Johan Santana Met variation

Box 6
    Jim Edmonds jersey
    another Carlos Beltran bat
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I'm hard at work putting a complete panel checklist together. It is going pretty well but I need more info. It does appear that they
    are linking up and have a specific batting order.

Keep the rips coming!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Here are boxes 4, 5, and 6:

Box 5
    Johnny Damon bat
    Johan Santana Met variation >>

Very nice, Nick. That's two pulled in our little group. That gives me hope that they're not going to be super rare, cuz unlike the Gordon cutout debacle, I won't consider my set done without one.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Shawn and Craig, don't worry one bit about kvetching. You won't find more sympathetic and helpful people.

To deny/scam a dude his Heritage is more than just not right! I do believe there is a Canto deep in Dante's Hell for people like that.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, Nick.

I've ripped 4 boxes from the case i got from LRcards.

box 1: 4 chromes, 1 refractor, pedro relic
    box 2: 3 chromes, 1 refractor NO RELIC
    box 3: Only 7 cards per pack. Luckily the missing card was the black back - every time. 4 chromes, 1 refractor, edmonds relic.
    box 4: only 7 cards per pack (missing black backs again). But in that box I pulled two autos! johnny o'brien #58/59, and a freddy sanchez redemption. Also included in that box was an ernie banks flashback relic and 3 chromes (jeter) + 1 refractor (dice-k). Talk about a hot box! In fact the banks relic was in the same pack as the redemption.

So out of 8 boxes so far, I've been stiffed on 2 boxes (no relic or auto) and on 2 other boxes I've been stiffed 24 cards. Topps will be getting a letter.

I've had several 8-card packs that had 2 black backs, as well as one pack that had 2 chromes in it. I'll take that kind of randomness anyday.

I have 8 boxes to go - tomorrow is another day.

Kevin I'll compile the panel info after all boxes have been opened.

Peace brothers.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    How do you know if you have $200 or $2000 protection? Also, if I paid via a balance in my paypal account, does that preclude me from filing via my CC company?
  • Options
    Jim, I'd bet that if the money was in your Paypal account, that will have to be recovered from this seller's account before you'll see a refund. If part of the payment was from a CC, you would be covered for that part of the money from them also.
  • Options
    Anybody else notice how cool Ichiro looks in all his Heritage cards (OK, his regular one last year was not so good)? His All-Star one this year is great. Same with his regular one in '06.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    A lot of my cards have crimp marks on the top of them. I guess the crimper that seals the packs must have caught them.
  • Options
    Hey - has anyone pulled an extra #500 justin verlander All Star? My buddy & I busted a total of 26 boxes, and didn't pull a single one.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody else notice how cool Ichiro looks in all his Heritage cards (OK, his regular one last year was not so good)? His All-Star one this year is great. Same with his regular one in '06. >>

I think his cards are generally pretty cool, but you're right, compared to many this year, his AS is very cool. Dan Haren - not so much...
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Hey - has anyone pulled an extra #500 justin verlander All Star? My buddy & I busted a total of 26 boxes, and didn't pull a single one

i got 1 in 6 boxes.

in 6 boxes i just noticed im missing his thrills card though..
  • Options
    Whoa Jim...Id take a few shorted cards for two autos and those chromes!

As far as the protection on paypal. I believe it depends of the reputation of the seller. If he had a large feedback number on ebay
    chances are he is insured for 2K. I believe it shows up on the auction screen.

Kevin
  • Options
    Box number 7 finally yielded a relic other than a jersey.... and it's the Mick! Box number 7, the Mick - coincidence? I think not...
  • Options
    ummmm, you guys might want to check your #440 John Smoltz cards. If you've got an extra of the card on the left, I'd very much like one.

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure others here have noticed that when all of your numbers are in the same position from sorting, say the upper right corner, not all of the horizontal cards go the same way. I know that will give some guys fits when it comes to putting the cards in pages and a binder.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Any more story on the Smoltz Geordie?
  • Options
    The Smoltz is probably right there with the Santana, a variation. We've had, what, 20 or so in the last few year's sets? These are probably the first 2 discovered.
  • Options
    uh oh, looks like the set is getting bigger!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Any more story on the Smoltz Geordie? >>

From my OBC friend Chris Stufflestreet's site, "Perhaps the best known card of the '59 set is #440 of Lew Burdette for two reasons. First, Topps spelled his first name as "Lou," an error they never corrected. Second, Burdette had some fun with the Topps photographer; when posing for his picture, the right-handed pitcher grabbed teammate Warren Spahn's glove and posed as a lefty (According to the story, Spahn posed as a right-hander with Burdette's glove but Topps never used the photo). According to Topps legend Sy Berger in an interview, the picture got past Topps' proofreaders, but didn't fool hundreds of kids who wrote in to let them know they messed up."

Looks like Topps is paying homage to the original. I really hope this is not super rare, because that's not gonna make Heritage collectors happy, at least not this one. If you're gonna do stuff like that, at least make it so that your very loyal fan base can somewhat easily complete the set.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how many ad panels there are possible?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I have 10 different ones so far.
  • Options
    Geordie..thanks for the history!

Im on the ad panels right now, if you can list your panel players from left to right that would help. I have determined that all
    the panels are of players not on the SP list.

Kevin
  • Options
    Phew on that fact, Kevin.

Nice hit, Jason. Are you saying it was the cut?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Kevin, it looks like each player can appear left, right and center on a panel. So it's going to be a massive set to complete.
    I've got close to 300 panels coming so far, wonder how close that will get me.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    OK here is my tally from the 12 boxes in my first case:

Buy Backs - 6 all unopened.
    Panels - 12 different.
    Variations - Santana as a Met.
    SPs - 72 out of 75.
    Inserts - 44 out of 45.
    Chromes - 35 of which 34 are different.
    Refractors - 9 different.
    Black Refr. - Matt Kemp.
    CC's - 12 of which 11 are different (all common except for Ryan Howard).
    Blue Ink - Carl Erskine.
    Red Ink - None.
    Flasback Relic - Ernie Banks seat.
    Autograph Relic - Freddy Sanchez Redemption #ed/25

Last year I didnt have such great pulls from heritage, so this definitely helps even that out some.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice case Nick

here's a binder label i just scanned and sized up

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I won't have my first boxes of Heritage until either tonight or Saturday. I'm not going to go crazy over this set, but I will build the base set and SPs. I'm looking forward to the rip, though I'm not expecting anything spectacular from it. Good luck to everyone and nice pulls thus far.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    OK, I'm up bright and early to start case 2. I will only be opening 6 boxes from this case, so I will post the results 2 boxes at a time. Here are boxes 1 and 2, and they will be pretty hard for me to top:

Box 1
    Miguel Cabrera jersey
    Mickey Mantle seat relic

Box 2
    Blue Ink Bob Blaylock
    Brooks Robinson seat relic
  • Options
    Wow Nick!! What a great start!

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I'm up bright and early to start case 2. I will only be opening 6 boxes from this case, so I will post the results 2 boxes at a time. Here are boxes 1 and 2, and they will be pretty hard for me to top:

Box 1
    Miguel Cabrera jersey
    Mickey Mantle seat relic

Box 2
    Blue Ink Bob Blaylock
    Brooks Robinson seat relic >>

very nice - bet you open the other 6 image
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. No, I wont be opening the other 6 boxes because I promised them to a board member that was having trouble locating boxes at a fair price.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys I am in the market for a Manny Ramirez/David Ortiz base card and a Jacoby Ellsbury chrome card. PM me if you have an extra you want to sell. Also I have 2 Matt Cain and 1 Brian Bannister Chrome card for anyone that wants them, also a Richie Sexson relic card to give away.

Another card I have is an 07 Relic Johan Santana Jersey card to anyone that might want it, just LMK and I will send it free of charge..
  • Options
    Heritage sure can be a fickle lady, after a stellar start, here are boxes 3 and 4:

Box 3
    No Auto or relic

Box 4
    No Auto or relic

I guess Topps thought I did too well in the first two boxes. Oh well, on to boxes 5 and 6, and then some serious sorting.
  • Options
    Well my 18 boxes are done, and I am still 1 insert away from my master set. NAP 2 is stopping me from completion so far. Nothing great to report in boxes 5 and 6 of case 2, just basic CC's.

Here is my final tally from all 18 boxes:

Buy Backs - 9 (all still unopened).
    Panels - 17 different and 1 duplicate.
    Black Backs - 2 complete 110 cards sets (almost a 3rd set too).
    Variations - Santana as a Met.
    SPs - 144 total (1 complete set of 75).
    Inserts - 44 out of 45.
    Chromes - 54 chromes - 40 different, 12 duplicate, and 2 tripicate.
    Refractors - 14 different.
    Black Refr. - Matt Kemp.
    CC's - 15 - 13 different and 2 duplicates. (all common except for Ryan Howard).
    Blue Ink - Carl Erskine and Bob Blaylock.
    Red Ink - None.
    Flasback Relic - Ernie Banks seat, Mickey Mantle seat, and Brooks Robinson seat.
    Autograph Relic - Freddy Sanchez Redemption #ed/25
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Three boxes opened so far. 2 Clubhouse, 2 Seats, 1 Buyback (still unopened).

• Options
    I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but for all the black backs is there also a green back? I'm watching all the auctions on eBay, and I've seen all combinations of 'sets' being offered: 315, 425, and 425 with 110 black back versions. With the black back cards I got in my 2 boxes, I didn't get a corresponding green back, but that's only after 2 boxes.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey - has anyone pulled an extra #500 justin verlander All Star? My buddy & I busted a total of 26 boxes, and didn't pull a single one. >>

I think I have an extra Geordie, I'll add it to the Geordie pile.
  • Options

<< <i>Phew on that fact, Kevin.

Nice hit, Jason. Are you saying it was the cut? >>

Alas no Kurt - even a dimwit like me would have figured out how to scan that for you guys...
  • Options
    Not one hall of famer or star buyback on eBay. Very strange. Topps must have only inserted commons because with all the case breakers one would have surely come out by now.
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not one hall of famer or star buyback on eBay. Very strange. Topps must have only inserted commons because with all the case breakers one would have surely come out by now. >>

I was thinking the exact same thing. Someone on here got a Hank Bauer, and that's the best one i've seen so far.
  • Options

<< <i>Not one hall of famer or star buyback on eBay. Very strange. Topps must have only inserted commons because with all the case breakers one would have surely come out by now. >>

Between that and the auto list this year, it seems that Topps has gone with a "cost-out" focus...
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to disputing a paypal purchase through your CC company, will Paypal suspend your account or do anything negative to it?
  • Options
    the buy backs have been a disappointment. I thought it
    might mske up for the weak auto checklist, but we all
    know that isn't the case.

I'm board at work, someone post some scans!

-kevin
  • Options

<< <i>When it comes to disputing a paypal purchase through your CC company, will Paypal suspend your account or do anything negative to it? >>

They shouldn't. It's just another level of safety you're granting yourself. I think most CC companies have a longer dispute period than Paypal's 45 days, it's as long as 6 months in some cases.