Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this card!

• Options
    I don't know if I can wait that long either! Anyone have any retail sightings or is it still too early? I didn't see any yesterday.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Well, even though I'm pretty sick, my birthday was a ok, cause it is heritage season. I was only able to afford 6 boxes right
    now, but hopefully I will be able to get more. I took 5 boxes from one case and then another box from another case. The
    one box was the first I opened and it had ink in it.....can't remember his name,but none the less exciting.

Box two had another long shot surprise...Black refractor!!!! Chipper Jones no less! The rest of the boxes had all GU in them. I really
    have not even had a chance to sit down and look at them. Some of the cards were pretty O/C like the Wang SP, but for the most
    part they looked good. The black was perfect, and 5 of my boxes had 59's as a topper. No Mantle though.

I can't wait to see some more busts. I should have the totals up soon.

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin, sorry to hear you are sick. Happy B-Day and atleast you had some Heritage to open and sounds like a pretty decent rip.
  • Options
    Yeah Kevin, Happy B-Day, hopefully it wasn't you trying to chew 19 sticks of gum while cracking your boxes that made you sick...
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Doran, it has to be the Clubhouse Collection version. There seems to be way too many of the FB relic out there already.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Kurt, that's what I was thinking, which makes me happy because I just grabbed one (clubhouse collection) off ebay with a bin for $3.99. image
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 4 boxes from my local dealer for $62 each. No great pulls, 2 buybacks (scrubs, vg-ex cards - 1 had a small crease).

One box had neither a relic nor an auto.

3 other relics - zimmerman, berkman, posada bat (all available for trade)
    12 chromes
    3 refractors
    7 news
    7 fb
    5 tn
    8 nap

Love the cards, but have found some centering issues. Thankfully no print splotches like last year. I find the photography uneven and a bit disappointing in many cases....looks like they did too much photoshopping and blew up the pictures to make them too grainy. JAcoby looks great and so does pujols, a-rod, and jeter. But glavine looks horrible - like he's got terrible acne. And many of these guys look like they just stepped out of the rain - their faces look drenched.

Geordie, looks like I agree that we won't be lucky enough to think that all cards above 425 are sp's.

And by the way, thanks for the early fix. I still have some 07 chromes for you.

What's up with the Johan on the Mets card?? I have Johan on the twins.

Anyone got any ideas on the advertising panels? how many different ones are out there?
  • Options
    Anyone have any new information on SVU18???

Craig in Texas
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Got the itch as well so I emailed LR Cards to see if I could get any shipping details. Larry responded very quickly w/

"shipping this week wed thru fri - will send track #s 1 day after they ship "

Looks good - can't wait! >>

Thanks for this update. My order was still showing as pending a few hours ago. Perhaps they'll go out in the next day or two and I'll have them the first of next week. I'm not sure I can wait that long!!! >>

Mine still shows as pending too...
  • Options

Here is a list of chrome cards. I think it is accurate.

C-1 Hunter Pence
    C-2 Andre Ethier
    C-3 Curt Schilling
    C-4 Gary Matthews
    C-5 Dontrelle Willis
    C-6 Troy Tulowitzki
    C-7 Robinson Cano
    C-8 Felix Hernandez
    C-9 Josh Hamilton
    C-10 Justin Upton
    C-11 Brad Penny
    C-12 Hideki Matsui
    C-13 J.J. Putz
    C-14 Jorge Posada
    C-15 Albert Pujols
    C-16 Aaron Rowand
    C-17 Ronnie Belliard
    C-18 Rick Ankiel
    C-19 Ian Kinsler
    C-20 Justin Verlander
    C-21 Lyle Overbay
    C-22 Tim Hudson
    C-23 Ryan Zimmerman
    C-24 Ryan Braun
    C-25 Jimmy Rollins
    C-26 Kelvim Escobar
    C-27 Adam LaRoche
    C-28 Ivan Rodriguez
    C-29 Billy Wagner
    C-30 Ichiro
    C-31 Chris Young (SD)
    C-32 Trevor Hoffman
    C-33 Torii Hunter
    C-34 Jason Isringhausen
    C-35 Jose Valverde
    C-36 Derrek Lee
    C-37 Rich Harden
    C-38 Andrew Miller
    C-39 Miguel Cabrera
    C-40 David Wright
    C-41 Brandon Phillips
    C-42 Magglio Ordonez
    C-43 Eric Byrnes
    C-44 John Smoltz
    C-45 Brandon Webb
    C-46 Barry Zito
    C-47 Sammy Sosa
    C-48 James Shields
    C-49 Alex Rios
    C-50 Matt Holliday
    C-51 Chris Young (AZ)
    C-52 Roy Oswalt
    C-53 Matt Kemp
    C-54 Tim Lincecum
    C-55 Hanley Ramirez
    C-56 Vladimir Guerrero
    C-57 Mark Teixeira
    C-58 Fausto Carmona
    C-59 B.J. Ryan
    C-60 Manny Ramirez
    C-61 Carlos Delgado
    C-62 Matt Cain
    C-63 Brian Bannister
    C-64 Russell Martin
    C-65 Todd Helton
    C-66 Roy Halladay
    C-67 Lance Berkman
    C-68 John Lackey
    C-69 Daisuke Matsuzaka
    C-70 Joe Mauer
    C-71 Francisco Rodriguez
    C-72 Derek Jeter
    C-73 Homer Bailey
    C-74 Jonathan Papelbon
    C-75 Billy Butler
    C-76 B.J. Upton
    C-77 Ubaldo Jimenez
    C-78 Erik Bedard
    C-79 Jeff Kent
    C-80 Ken Griffey Jr.
    C-81 Josh Beckett
    C-82 Jeff Francis
    C-83 Grady Sizemore
    C-84 John Maine
    C-85 Cole Hamels
    C-86 Nick Markakis
    C-87 Ben Sheets
    C-88 Jose Reyes
    C-89 Vernon Wells
    C-90 Justin Morneau
    C-91 Brian McCann
    C-92 Jacoby Ellsbury
    C-93 Clay Buchholz
    C-94 Prince Fielder
    C-95 David Ortiz
    C-96 Joba Chamberlain
    C-97 Chien-Ming Wang
    C-98 Chipper Jones
    C-99 Chase Utley
    C-100 Alex Rodriguez
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    opened 3 boxes nothing to brag about yet!

i just bought a buy it now on a yogi berra jersey or bat card for 35$ says 1 in 4100 packs. so i think i did ok there. cant seem to find any bargains on the black refractors this year. i got a couple,, last couple years at 3$ buy it nows.

i like this set alot better then last years.

major hits in 3 boxes were arod chrome 3 relic cards 1 buy back 3 box toppers. can see manny ramirez thrills in the one. topps didnt do a great job of hiding the box toppers.

• Options
    Here are my 6 box totals:

5 Buy Backs.
    Paul Giel
    Granny Hammer
    Joe Ad*ock
    Russ Nixon
    Wally Post

Game Used
    Zimm Jersey
    Hafner Jersey
    Hunter Jersey
    Sexon Jersey

Black Chrome
    Chipper Jones

Refractors:
    Utley
    Man Ram
    Mig Cabrera
    Reyes
    Dontrelle

Auto
    Morrie Martin

18 chromes including Ellsbury and Cano

Everything is for trade. Im looking for ink first!

Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options
    Opened a few packs from the local store while waiting out the SVU18 orderal and pulled this:

Clubhouse Collection Autographed Relic!

Odds are 1 in over 6,000 and it will be hand numbered to 25. Very hard to pull!! Always looking to trade for my vintage needs....

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    Craig

Monster pull..congrats!

Kevin
  • Options
    Thank you Kevin! The guy at the card shop that I went to tonight pulled a Red Ink auto of Joba Chamberlain. Needless to say, he was pretty pumped about it!

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>brian,

I'm not sure about the 110 vs 88 card set. I'm thinking there are 88 black back variations that can also be found in green back and there are 22 additional cards that are ONLY available in black back. Not sure, we'll find out more when everyone starts ripping.

Ian >>

Brian & Ian. There is no question that the black back set is 110 cards, and yes, that makes the "master" set 655 cards this year. Yikes!
  • Options
    Well guys, I'm one and a half boxes in to my case and the only thing of interest that I have to report so far is that I just pulled two chromes from the same pack...
  • Options
    Doran & Kurt - nice pickups on the Minoso jerseys. I was taking another nap trying to catch up after the all nighter. I ain't as young as I used to be - can't do those without some repurcussions! I'm hoping good deals on Minosos are still to be found. I did just pick up a Berra relic, so that's 1 down & 3 to go on the Group As.
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    Just finshed my first 4 boxes. Time flies when you're ripping packs, doesn't it ??

Some observations:

A black-back card in every pack. I like it, but that set shouldn't be hard to finish at all.

Less SPs than last year. I don't know all the SPs yet, but I'm pretty sure I had 1-2 'dud' packs per box. In 4 boxes, I got something like 36-39 SPs. Less than 10 per box.

A lot of cards are out of focus.

The gum still loses flavor before I've gone through the 8 cards in that pack. Seriously.

Now the cards:

Don't have scans yet, but I got Blue Ink. Vito Valentinetti of the Senators.

3 Relics: Zimmerman Jersey (seems overwhelmingly popular so far), F. Rosbinson Seat and a Gibson Seat. Love the photo on the Gibson seat card.

I got two 'Twins' Santanas and a 'Mets' Santana. I'm excited to find out exactly how rare this Mets Variation is.

I got 3 Refractors: (Phillips, Beckett, and McCann)
    11 Chromes ( Jeter, Sosa, Pence, JOBA !!, Bedard, etc.)

2 Buybacks. Here's the funniest thing I've seen in a pack before. The one my dad opened was Andre Rodgers and mine was....... CUT IN HALF !!!

Literally, cut in half about 3/4 of the way down the card. Looks like when the packs were being separated from each other on the conveyor belt, the seam of the pack somehow opened up, the card slid out, then CHOP!!!!

Kinda bummed out that Topps chopped a '59 card in half. What if it was a Mantle ?!?!?!?!

All in all, a blast. Can't wait until my other boxes get here.

Ian
  • Options
    5th pack of my 4th box yielded the inevitable Richie Sexson jersey relic - super...
  • Options
    Big things, Jason, Big things coming.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Funny you should say that Kurt, three packs later I pulled an ARod Refractor - not huge, but not bad...
  • Options

<< <i>Big things, Jason, Big things coming. >>

What Kurt said, Jason. I'm thinking Jeter black refractor, a Mantle seat and some ink.
  • Options
    Has anyone out there received their refund (or case) from SVU18??? Does anyone know this guys address or have any other information? I wish EBay would not have shut him down because now we have no way to track if he is continuing to offer refunds and/or product. Please......any information you have would be greatly appreciated!! image

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    So far I am not impressed with the buy backs...I did pull #9...one off from Mantle.

Does anyone know how many of the Perez variations there are? So far we know Wright and Santana?

Kevin
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    my case should be here today.

I probably should go out and shovel all of that global warming off of the porch and steps for the UPS guy.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Craig,

We know SVU18's name is John Phelan, and he is located in Brooklyn I think.... Where is Nick? I think he has called the guy before, so he should have his contact info.

I have had no contact with him except what I posted earlier in the thread - he sent me the same form letter as everyone else. I haven't raised my paypal dispute to a claim yet, to give him time to respond, but I will do so within a week if I hear no more from him.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had email contact with svu and he has always responded pretty quick. Does that mean anything.....no way. I'm just giving enough time because I can.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I've talked to SVU18 by email and phone. He sent me an email yesterday saying he is still trying to work everything out. I do still have his contact info. I don't want to post it here since so far he seems to be refunding or delivering to everyone, but if you purchases from him and need the info, send me a pm.
  • Options
    Jason (five7teen) - anything good to report in you case so far?
  • Options
    Just for info with my case plus one box I came up short six sp's for the first master set including black back and all insert sets and forty-two sp's short for the second master set I also need about twelve inserts in this second set and five black backs.
    I'll be working on the missing cards for a while before trying to trade for them since values are not yet clear...
    On the chromes I got thirty eight chromes and need 62 I got nine chrome refractors .. I will be building both these chrome sets.
    I did pull a dual redemption auto Mazeroski/ Sanchez and a Posednick redemption auto. I also got a Carl Erskine Blue Ink auto...
    The buybacks are mostly crapola, poorly centered, The one "good" one was Don Zimmer with a bent corner...
    Regards,
    Charlie G
  • Options
    I decided to escalate my svu18 claim after the standard email everyone else got. He hasn't responded to that through the pay pal process yet. If he doesn't respond by
    march 5 it goes in my favor. If he doesn't have the cash will I still be refunded by pay pal?

I've been checking my email every ten minutes for my tracking # from LR. Can't wait, might have to hit a shop this weekend. image
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Knopfler, I'd like Phelan's contact info if you don't mind.
    Has anyone showed him (svu18) this thread? There are at least 5 of us here who bought from him.

Dave

Also waiting on my LR case. image
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    rrpb76 Charlie PM sent.
  • Options

<< <i>Jason (five7teen) - anything good to report in you case so far? >>

Well, I'm an absolute lightweight compared to Geordie's heroics (he is a Dodger fan after all) - I got through 4 and a half boxes last night before calling it a day. Best pull was an ARod refractor. 4 boxes had relics (Torii Hunter, Oswalt, Berkman, and the very predicatble Sexson), and the other box had neither relic nor ink, but had 4 chromes, including two back to back in the same pack. I kept all the wrappers and may send them to Topps, but Murphy's Law would say that I'd simply get another Sexson jersey (do they try to find the biggest players so that the "game worn" jerseys make more cards?). I think I got 4 refractors (including the ARod), but no blacks or anything else special.

At first I thought the idea of not knowing the SPs would be frustrating, but in a way, it's kind of liberating. I sort into hundreds as I go, and all I can tell so far is the 400-500 pile is shorter than the rest, so I have to believe that a good chunk of the SPs are "high numbers" (Geordie already figured that out though).

My thoughts on the set so far are mixed - a lot of the cards have what appear to be blurry/fuzzy photos, which I don't like too much, and the lack of action shots is a little disappointing as well (I know both of those things are in homage to the '59 set). The most attractive card to me so far is the C-M Wang card, and without question the least attractive card is the Torri Hunter card (why does he insist on making a fool out of himself in his cards?), with the Noah Lowry (I think that's the one) card coming in second in the worst category (filthy hat and bar fight look).

All in all, I still enjoy the Heritage product, and I'm not expecting any huge pulls this time around as I've had incredible luck in both Heritage and A&G in the past couple of years. Hopefully I'll dig into some more boxes tonight!
  • Options
    According to brentandbecca, on the blowutcard board, the official release of the SPs will be announced at 2 p.m., EST

• Options
    Wow, I don't like that one bit.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I alwalys say I am not going to get involved in this set but you B@$tards always drag me in. I will hopefully have two hobby boxes by tomorrow.
  • Options
    Topps Heritage Chrome Series 2 list (which reminds me a whole lot of last year's regular chrome set)
    C101 Phil Hughes
    C102 Hideki Okajima
    C103 Chone Figgins
    C104 Jose Vidro
    C105 Johan Santana
    C106 Paul Konerko
    C107 Alfonso Soriano
    C108 Kei Igawa
    C109 Lastings Milledge
    C110 Asdrubal Cabrera
    C111 Brandon Jones
    C112 Tom Gorzelanny
    C113 Delmon Young
    C114 Daric Barton
    C115 David DeJesus
    C116 Ryan Howard
    C117 Tom Glavine
    C118 Frank Thomas
    C119 J.R. Towles
    C120 Jeremy Bonderman
    C121 Adrian Beltre
    C122 Dan Haren
    C123 Kazuo Matsui
    C124 Joe Blanton
    C125 Dan Uggla
    C126 Stephen Drew
    C127 Daniel Cabrera
    C128 Jeff Clement
    C129 Pedro Martinez
    C130 Josh Anderson
    C131 Orlando Hudson
    C132 Jason Bay
    C133 Eric Chavez
    C134 Johnny Damon
    C135 Lance Broadway
    C136 Jake Peavy
    C137 Carl Crawford
    C138 Kenji Johjima
    C139 Melky Cabrera
    C140 Aaron Hill
    C141 Carlos Lee
    C142 Mark Buehrle
    C143 Carlos Beltran
    C144 Chin-Lung Hu
    C145 C.C. Sabathia
    C146 Dustin Pedroia
    C147 Freddy Sanchez
    C148 Kevin Youkilis
    C149 Radhames Liz
    C150 Jim Thome
    C151 Greg Maddux
    C152 Rich Hill
    C153 Andy LaRoche
    C154 Gil Meche
    C155 Victor Martinez
    C156 Mariano Rivera
    C157 Kyle Kendrick
    C158 Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    C159 Tadahito Iguchi
    C160 Eric Gagne
    C161 Garrett Atkins
    C162 Pat Burrell
    C163 Akinori Iwamura
    C164 Melvin Mora
    C165 Joey Votto
    C166 Brian Roberts
    C167 Brett Myers
    C168 Michael Young
    C169 Adam Jones
    C170 Carlos Zambrano
    C171 Jeff Francoeur
    C172 Brad Hawpe
    C173 Andy Pettitte
    C174 Ryan Garko
    C175 Adrian Gonzalez
    C176 Ted Lilly
    C177 J.J. Hardy
    C178 Jon Lester
    C179 Carlos Pena
    C180 Ross Detwiler
    C181 Andruw Jones
    C182 Gary Sheffield
    C183 Dmitri Young
    C184 Carlos Guillen
    C185 Yovani Gallardo
    C186 Alex Gordon
    C187 Aaron Harang
    C188 Travis Hafner
    C189 Orlando Cabrera
    C190 Bobby Abreu
    C191 Randy Johnson
    C192 Scott Kazmir
    C193 Jason Varitek
    C194 Mike Lowell
    C195 A.J. Burnett
    C196 Garret Anderson
    C197 Chris Carpenter
    C198 Jermaine Dye
    C199 Luke Hochevar
    C200 Steve Pearce

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be going the way of Bowman Chrome, oversaturation.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    I guess the question is, will the true Heritage collector consider that "Series Two" set part of the real set?
  • Options
    That blows about having to cross over into the Chrome product. Really blows!

That being said, I'm sorry to hear about the continued problems with SVU. This should be a great time, not one fighting with shady deals. Heritage collectors are true collectors rather than flip artists that populate the modern market and for some to be soured on the experience is troubling. I hope that everybody gets things sorted out. Too much fun to have crap like this being pulled.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    I just called LRCards and got my tracking number. It shipped yesterday, and my location is a one day ship, so my case is on the UPS truck as we speak. The only downside to that is that I am the last house on the UPS route and I get my deliveries around 6PM, but I aint complaining. image
  • Options
    All-nighter Geordie style Nick?
  • Options
    Without a doubt.

Edited to add: Probably not as well as Geordie did his though.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, even though I'm pretty sick, my birthday was a ok, cause it is heritage season. I was only able to afford 6 boxes right
    now, but hopefully I will be able to get more. I took 5 boxes from one case and then another box from another case. The
    one box was the first I opened and it had ink in it.....can't remember his name,but none the less exciting.

Box two had another long shot surprise...Black refractor!!!! Chipper Jones no less! The rest of the boxes had all GU in them. I really
    have not even had a chance to sit down and look at them. Some of the cards were pretty O/C like the Wang SP, but for the most
    part they looked good. The black was perfect, and 5 of my boxes had 59's as a topper. No Mantle though.

I can't wait to see some more busts. I should have the totals up soon.

Kevin >>

Happy Birthday Kevin!

I hope I got my cards today!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well after doing my best to be patient I called around and found a local shop with boxes for $70, I even showed some self control when I got there I only bought 3 of the 4 boxes they had. If there are any highlights I will let you know after the rip.
  • Options
    When I saw TNP777's scan with the Clubhouse Collections cards, my first thought was about a thread from last week on designs that didn't make it and that Topps held onto the design long enough.