Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a "production numbers" spreadsheet for last year's Topps heritage with basic math and using the stated odds kinda the same way that Jason just did, and last year there were 2,443,540 packs. Give or take. image
  • Yeah, I think we're ready for this set...
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    WOW, the real one autos havn't been that "easy" to pull in years, that is explained by the crappy auto checklist. I'm glad that I don't have
    to do the math this year!!

Kevin
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I asked LR if the $600 cases were hobby when I ordered, and he confirmed that they are indeed hobby cases. Can't wait!
  • Off the top of my head math says ...

8 SPs in a box,
    2 chromes,
    4 inserts
    maybe 1 or two other surprises.

There's going to be a lot of packs with nothing but commons.
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Consider 12 boxes = 288 packs = 1 case.

10 refractor chromes
    36 normal chromes
    96 sp's
    19 nap's
    19 t&n
    24 flashback
    24 flashback news
    12 relics or autos
    --------
    240 "special cards" in a 12 box case.

So thats 20 per box...and therefore there are only 4 "dud" packs per box....which is still the highest "dud" rate for any heritage release...another indication that the press run is higher.

Of course we have no idea about the black variation cards (88 total) and how they are seeded. All we know is that based on 1 box break and they are seeded 1 per pack. Oddly the black variation is not published on the pack, and neither is the sp pull rate.
    Its not as bad as Pharber thinks. Consider 12 boxes = 288 packs = 1 case.

10 refractor chromes
    36 normal chromes
    96 sp's
    19 nap's
    19 t&n
    24 flashback
    24 flashback news
    12 relics or autos
    --------

So thats 20 per box...and therefore there are only 4 "dud" packs per box....which is still the highest "dud" rate for any heritage release...another indication that the press run is higher.

Of course we have no idea about the black variation cards (88 total) and how they are seeded. All we know is that based on 1 box break and they are seeded 1 per pack. Oddly the black variation is not published on the pack, and neither is the sp pull rate.
    Consider 12 boxes = 288 packs = 1 case.

10 refractor chromes
    36 normal chromes
    96 sp's
    19 nap's
    19 t&n
    24 flashback
    24 flashback news
    12 relics or autos
    --------

<< <i>Don't forget to consider that retail vs. blasters have different seed rates, so until both players are heard from, no calcs can be too useful yet. >>

All you need is a numbered card that is seeded at the same rate in both hobby and retail products. I would think that the chrome #ed to 1959 would be the one that would be 1:12 in every product. That would mean 2,350,800 total heritage packs. If Jim's figure of 982,000 hobby packs is accurate, then there would be 1,368,800 retail heritage packs available.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    more:

imageimageimage

What do you guys think about that big 'ol stamp on the original '59s. For some reason I didn't think it'd be that big.
    Actually, chrome #/1959 are seeded 1:8, so thats 1959 * 100 * 8 = 1,567,200 packs...which I think is too low for a total pack output. It's hard to say, because topps website says 2 chromes per box, but the wrapper clearly says 3 chromes per box.

also, consider the special edition real-ones (#/59) - there are 46 according to topps website checklist. they are seeded 1:835. that would mean that 59*46*835 = 2,266,190 packs...if and only if the seeding for these in retail is also 1:835.
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    $55 is a pretty good deal for a red ink auto!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
    Flashback relics are pretty nice this year:

• What do you guys think about that big 'ol stamp on the original '59s. For some reason I didn't think it'd be that big. >>

I'm not a big fan of the stamp on the originals - it'll be interesting to see what the first Gibson brings on eBay...

I like the look of the Hughes card with the black background, and the rookie stars card looks pretty neat too. I can't wait to pull 6 Richie Sexson relics this year - it'll help me remember how much the Ms are paying him to whiff 154 times this season.

Bring on the ripping!

<< <i>I can't wait to pull 6 Richie Sexson relics this year.......... >>

Last year there was as much Scott Rolen (Jersey and Bat) as you could handle.
  • Yeah, the I pulled a handful of Rolens, I remember that. The difference is that I don't have to watch him eat up payroll space live at Safeco...
  • Just wondering who has the best price for boxes right now?
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    A lot of us are trying LRCards. Currently at $62 for the first box, and a price break after that for each additional

The key is the shipping is free.

Compare that to anything you could find on eBay with $10 shipping and it's a pretty good deal.

I've never bought from him before yesterday, so I can't vouch for the seller yet, but others here have.

• kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I see you've started early, Geordie!
    IWTDMBII
    Kurt - you saw that, eh? Average $4.50 per, so I took a chance that at least one of them will be a Group A or B. If so, then I got a great deal; if not, then yes, I got a head start.

Ok, I was looking at the pull odds that Paul posted from the back of the pack picture. Group A relics are 1:4100, Group Bs are 1:18000, right? That means a Group B is a tougher pull than a red auto (1:835), a dual auto (1:6869), a clubhouse collection dual relic (1:5582), and a clubhouse collection auto relic (1:6875)?? How much sense does that make? Is it possible that the pack back is misprinted?
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    Geordie,

That's exactly what I though when I read that. If those numbers are real, those will be tough. Maybe I'll get lucky and pull a relic from the toughest group like I did last year (Wright).
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, chrome #/1959 are seeded 1:8, so thats 1959 * 100 * 8 = 1,567,200 packs...which I think is too low for a total pack output. It's hard to say, because topps website says 2 chromes per box, but the wrapper clearly says 3 chromes per box. >>

If we split the difference we're around 1.9 million packs which is very close to what I calculated last year.

Thanks for the scans Geordie.

Why does Topps even need to put a sticker on the 59's? Not sure I see the purpose here.

In other news SVU18 is now Naru. I filed a dispute and escalated it to a claim with Paypal today.

Happy Heritage all,
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Could someone please send me svu18's phone number/contact info if they have it?

Thanks
    Travis
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Anythingu posted on the Beckett site two buyback cards he ripped in his case. Gus Zernial and Hobie Landrith. Yes, a huge 50th anniversary Topps insignia. Just too big.

BEHOLD!!!

Opened one pack so far (I'm at work). Brandon Webb chrome (chromes are numbered CXX this year) in the 7th spot, and a black back (card number and stats are in black instead of the regular green).

For those interested, here are the relic groupings:

Group A
    Berra, Aparicio, Gibson, Mazeroski

Group B
    Minoso (Mr. 1:18000)

Group C
    A. Jones, A. Ramirez, Abreu, Beltran, Delgado, C. Lee, D. Lee, Ortiz, Thomas, I. Rodriguez, Damon, Posada, Verlander, Green, Helton, Dunn, Crawford, Biggio, D. Young, E. Chavez

Group D
    G. Anderson, Blalock, Edmonds, Smoltz, Berkman, M. Cabrera, Tejada, Mussina, P. Martinez, Sexson, Oswalt, Howard, Zimmerman, Hunter, Hafner

• << <i>A lot of us are trying LRCards. Currently at $62 for the first box, and a price break after that for each additional

The key is the shipping is free.

Compare that to anything you could find on eBay with $10 shipping and it's a pretty good deal.

I've never bought from him before yesterday, so I can't vouch for the seller yet, but others here have. >>

I bought a case of 2007 A&G from LRCards. It worked out well for me.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Is that case from a local shop? Hmmm, I wonder if my guy got his shipment today...
  • 12 packs into case #1......

Red Ink
    Early results through two boxes:

Ink: 1 (blue - Bob Speake from the Giants)
    Relics: 0

Which means I got shorted at least a relic. Stated on the box: "Look for one Real One Autograph or Relic Card in every box!" I believe the procedure here is to send the UPC code from the box to Topps for a replacement card, right?

Chrome: 5 (Griffey, Webb, Rowand, A. Miller, V. Wells)
    Refractor: Braun
    Flashbacks: 5
    News Flashbacks: 4
    NAP: 3
    Then & Now: 4
    1959 Buyback: 1

That makes 23 inserts/chrome which leaves 25 other "7th cards" - don't know if they're all short prints or not. If SPs are seeded 1:3, then obviously no. But if they're 1:2, then the numbers work out for the most part.

Geordie

• << <i>What do you guys think about that big 'ol stamp on the original '59s. For some reason I didn't think it'd be that big. >>

I'm not a big fan of the stamp on the originals - it'll be interesting to see what the first Gibson brings on eBay...

I like the look of the Hughes card with the black background, and the rookie stars card looks pretty neat too. I can't wait to pull 6 Richie Sexson relics this year - it'll help me remember how much the Ms are paying him to whiff 154 times this season.

Bring on the ripping! >>

So they take an orignal '59 and put a big stamp on it? Who comes up with these ideas???? Between this and "hey let's hack up a game used Ruth jersey and put it on a piece of cardboard." I'm really hoping there's some sort of 180 degree turn in the hobby. Sorry for the rant, but some things just puzzle me.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Geordie,
    Make sure you keep all the wrappers and the box they came in for Topps. I understand they were sticklers last year.

• rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    More packs, Geordie !!!! More packs !!!

What do you think the Minoso Relic will sell for on eBay ? I could see the first couple that surface selling over $500.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BEHOLD!!! >>

Wooohooooooo

I just checked Walmart-no Heritage but I've got the rip bug bad so I bought a blaster of 2007 Topps '52 Rookies.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
    Box 3:

Chrome: 4 (Zito, Hamels, Ichiro, D. Lee)
    Refractor: Pudge
    Clubhouse Collection: Edmonds
    Flashback Relic: Aparicio
    NAP: 1
    Then & Now: 1
    Flashback: 2
    News Flashback: 2

Box 4:
    Chrome: 2 UGH
    Refractor: 0
    Clubhouse Collection: Helton
    Flashback Relic: 0
    NAP: 2
    Then & Now: 1
    Flashback: 2
    News Flashback: 2

• BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Looks great Geordie, keep them coming!!! You pulled my Griffey refractor already!!

shawn

<< <i>Looks great Geordie, keep them coming!!! You pulled my Griffey refractor already!!

shawn >>

Not a refractor, Shawn - just a regular one. If I pull one, it's yours.

I'm now updated through box #4.
  • There is now a Minoso relic on ebay...
  • tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Wow! You guys are getting me excited! Cant wait to get my 2 boxes from LRcards. I remember opening packs in 1959. I was 15. There was several series. 5 or 6? Maybe 7. When you finished a series you had to wait for a new box to go in the newsroom store.Frasiers News. You had to buy a pack to see if it was the next series. The boxes werent marked what series it was. 5 cents a pack. $1.20 a box. Just Topps, it was great. Dream on. Dave.
  • I thought someone had a checklist but I can't find it. Help please.

Also, blowout is now asking 749.99 +24.99 per case and 67.99 +9.99 per box. I would think they could be more competitive based on what I paid and what I see on ebay.
    Just my opinion.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • I ordered a box Monday night and tonight(Tuesday) it still says pending.

Is this common for LRCards?

Just curious about the order process.

Tim
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Cmon you all, how about some scans?????

Kevin
  • So what is this about svu18 is now naru? I guess Ebay suspended him and now he is starting over? Is this guy really trying to make good on his dealings with those of us who ordered with him? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

Craig in Texas
    Five boxes in so far. I've gotten the standard number of pulls per box, on average. I've also pulled three total "buybacks" which are sequential - #s 95, 96 and 97, which means I'm due for a run that looks something like this:

95 Carl Willey -- Milwaukee Braves
    96 Lou Berberet -- Detroit Tigers
    97 Jerry Lynch -- Cincinnati Reds
    98 Arnie Portocarrero -- Baltimore Orioles
    99 Ted Kazanski -- Philadelphia Phillies
    100 Bob Cerv -- Kansas City Athletics

Chrome: 14
    Refractors: 3
    Then & Now: 9 of 10
    News Flashbacks: 10 of 10
    Flashbacks: 10 of 10
    New Age Performers: 8 of 15
    Blue Ink: 1
    Clubhouse Collection: 3
    Flashback Relics: 1

• Well I'll be taking it easy this year, mainly relying on retail. Sorry to see so many got screwed by ebay sellers, hopefully you all get your refunds or cards. I may order a couple of hobby boxes before the week is out, but probably no ripping until next week (local dealers want $100+/box). So for everybody that's ripping lets see some scans (Geordie this means you!!!). Looking forward to some more great trades this year and hoping everybody pulls some good ink this year.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    You guys are KILLING me! I have not bought any cards in 141 days, and it will probably be three months before I buy any more. My plan was to buy a master set and work on some of the older Heritage sets, but I will have to rip some hobby boxes. I hope I can hold out.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • I can't remember having a product live (I don't have mine yet) without knowing the SPs. That being said, my memory isn't what it used to be. Any sense for SPs yet Geordie?
    Lots of guys living vicariously through you tonight Geordie.

Kevin - Have you worked any magic yet getting an SP list from some of the multiple case breakers?