Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Ian - what I don't like about some of them is how grainy the pictures are. Surely there's a clean-looking picture of Gibson (circa 1959) that they could use. I kinda wish they would have stuck to the original Grandstand Glory concept with player pictures. Consider:

Grandstand Glory 2001 & 2002
    imageimage

Grandstand Glory 2003 & 2004
    imageimage

vs:

Flashbacks 2005 & 2006
    imageimage

Flashbacks 2007 & 2008
    imageimage

I dunno. My opinion is that the Grandstand Glory cards were more appealing. Not real happy with some of the later grainy photos.

<< <i>

<< <i>and that ugly POC is already up to $207. I really think Topps should hire Garret to do their 1/1 cuts. I think it would add even more appeal to collectors. For several years their 1/1 cuts have been a complete joke. Garret could really spruce those up. >>

I think the dog in your icon could spruce those up... >>

Angie is very respectful of my cards. She's been a remarkable Lab, as a matter of fact. Most Labs like to chew everything in sight in their first couple of years.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Here is my 1 box break. $65
    Buyback- Hank Bauer
    Panel- Kendall, Cubs, Iguchi
    T&N Drysdale/Peavey & Banks/Arod
    Flashbacks BF's Brooks Robinson and Gibson. NF- Dalai Lama & Hawaii
    NAP Holliday, Fielder
    Chrome- Justin Upton, Big papi, Vladdy
    Chrome Refractor Gary Matthews
    Relic Dimitri Young

SP's 409, 432, 438, 444, 450, 461, 471, 488 & 496

• magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Johan on the Mets. Card is sharp >>

Any showed up on eBay yet?

To answer my own question Johan-Mets
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    that bauer is the best one I have seen

K
  • so what's the deal with the variants like the santana, are they #d different, is there a list of them?
    What's up with this?

Card #s 198 & 310, neither are SPed. According to Topps' website and the Reds & Cardinals checklist cards, they are both checklisted properly.

edit: these aren't SPed either. I pulled two of the 198s and six of the 310s.

• magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    1 of a kind ! Get em on eBay Geordie.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Is there anything similar in the 1959 set?
    I just checked. In '59 #198 was Jim Davenport and #310 was Luis Aparicio

<< <i>

<< <i>Johan on the Mets. Card is sharp >>

Any showed up on eBay yet?

To answer my own question Johan-Mets >>

Four of them at the moment
  • Geordie, the blue owens should be your black back, and the red your normal one, atleast that's how mine are.
    Doran - look again. There's a green and black back 198, while the 310 is only in green back. Remember, all black backs parallel a green back in the base set.
  • Case (LR) scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Considered a box or two from the local store, but they're $80 a pop - a little too expensive for me to bite. Thanks for the scans everyone - 08 is looking pretty solid already (and a bump up from 06 and 07 IMO).
  • Sorry Geordie, didn't read your entire post....well the wife just brought a box home for me, so a little more ripping.
  • Box 4, last one until next week:

Buy Back= Andy Pafko
    Ad Panel= Lance Boradway/Ross Ohlendorf/ Matt Capps
    Ink= 0
    Relic= Zimmerman Jersey
    FB=1
    T&N=1
    NAP=1
    Chrome=4
    Refractor=1
    SP= 7

Is card 317 the only one with an upside down back? Thought it was funny as it was facing the wrong direction in the pack as well.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Sweet cards - just ripped my first box

Buyback - Walt Dropo with a couple nice creases
    Ad Panel - Manny, Brian Bannister and Horacio Ramirez
    Pedro Martinez CC jersey
    3 reg Chromes
    1 Chrome Refractor
    1 NA
    2 T&N
    4 flashbacks
    not sure on the SP count, haven't looked at the list yet
    and a black back in every pack

anyone notice yet that card # 317 (NL Hitting Kings) is backwards? Maybe a mirror of the 1959 card? It's a sideways card the faces to the left while all the others face right

also the Okajima card has a photo from one of last years cards that looks like the blew it up abou 5x. really sticks out. Dice-K's is from the same shoot and is normal sized

The Manny Baseball Thrills card is really nice looking
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all the guys that ordered from svu, I just wanted to update you all and let you know that my case did show up today like he promised, but there's more to it than that. When I emailed him to thank him for sending the product I asked if all the guys that bought heritage from him were going to receive their cases, and here is what he emailed me:

PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS THAT EVERYONE ELSE IS GETTING REFUNDS. HOWEVER, DUE TO THE LARGE AMOUNT THAT IS OWED BY ME IT WONT BE SOON. I AM TRYING TO RAISE CASH TO TAKE CARE OF THIS. I OWE OTHERS FOR PRODUCTS THAT WENT LIVE WEEKS AGO. ITS A HORRIBLE DILEMMA. I AM RUINED. I AM VERY SORRY TO EVERYONE, AND I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN. RESPECTFULLY, JOHN

His email sounds kind of sincere, but who knows. Why it was me that got the case instead of others who ordered before me I do not know, but trust me, me having the case is sort of bittersweet knowing that all you guys that I enjoy trading with this time of year didnt get theirs. Good luck to everyone in getting their refunds.
  • I told you it's because you told him you were 6'8" 350lbs and you were the smallest out of 6 brothers. I do hope some of you guys end up with cases and if not I hope the refund process goes smoothly.
  • This makes me really sick -- thank you so much for sharing this information Nick.

Craig in Texas
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Whew, take a 2 hr break and I missed ~50 posts!

regarding 2001: 97sp's are all high #s 311-407. 220 base, then 1-80 are in both red and black back.

They are purported to be equal in value (red vs. black) and they are not nearly as tough as the high#s.

However, I find the blacks are harder to find and everyone seems to have the black lo#s on their wantlist.

2005 had 220 whiteback variations. Each whiteback had a grayback counterpart. And all white/gray numbers were the non-sp numbers.

• parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Craig, brother parker, my local dealer has a ton of heritage leftover...he might be able to sell a few boxes or even a case to you if you are still in the market.

he's on ebay too - spin4cards

spin4cards@aol.com.

His name is Mark Spinelli.

If you go that route tell him i sent you.
    Peace.
  • Guys, it really stinks how things have played out with that seller on eBay, it makes me feel a little guilty cracking my boxes. I really hope it all works out in the end with refunds, but I know it must really feel like a kick in the gut (or even lower) to not only not have boxes to open, but also knowing that a refund isn't a certainty. Like has been said before, I hope it doesn't sour the Heritage experience too much. I'm sure the trading will go on for some weeks if that's any small consolation...
  • I appreciate that brother Jim but I will not be buying any more until I get this SVU18 deal settled. Once I get this deal settled then I may contact your buddy.

Craig in Texas
  • Thank you for the kind comments 517 and thank you Nick once again for sharing what SVU18 told you. I am still enjoying watching other people and I will hopefully be able to share my great pulls once I get this orderal resolved.

Craig in Texas
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry to hear about the problems some of you guys are having. Hope everything works out.

If it makes you feel any better, my 2nd box sucked.

no buyback
    travis Hafner jersey
    some other stuff

one cool thing is no dupes at all after 2 boxes.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS THAT EVERYONE ELSE IS GETTING REFUNDS. HOWEVER, DUE TO THE LARGE AMOUNT THAT IS OWED BY ME IT WONT BE SOON. I AM TRYING TO RAISE CASH TO TAKE CARE OF THIS. I OWE OTHERS FOR PRODUCTS THAT WENT LIVE WEEKS AGO. ITS A HORRIBLE DILEMMA. I AM RUINED. I AM VERY SORRY TO EVERYONE, AND I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN. RESPECTFULLY, JOHN

Wow that stinks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My case from LRCards arrived today too, so I decided to start with that case first. After 3 boxes, here are the highlights:

Box 1
    Carlos Beltran bat
    Matt Kemp Black Refractor

Box 2
    Lance Berkman jersey
    Carl Erskine Blue Autograph

Box 3
    Hank Blalock jersey

• << <i>one cool thing is no dupes at all after 2 boxes. >>

Lucky! Heck, by the middle of my second box I was even getting black number doubles.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!

• << <i>My case from LRCards arrived today too, so I decided to start with that case first. After 3 boxes, here are the highlights:

Box 1
    Carlos Beltran bat

Box 2
    Lance Berkman jersey

Box 3
    Hank Blalock jersey >>

That's already better than my first 6 boxes Nick.
    Man this whole ebay thing is putting a damper on the festivities. I hope you all get your money back quickly. The one good thing
    to know is that it is REALLY early in the heritage year. There will be PLENTY of trading left and retail mania will be starting next
    week.

I haven't heard from Stone in a while...did he pull the Mantle cut and move to the South of France? He could at least throw
    is a bone and leave a scan...oh well.

I could also use some more panel info!

Thanks
    Kevin
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Can I interupt this fun for just a second??

I'm one of the guys getting hosed by an eBay seller. When you say "I hope you get a refund", what does that mean??

This is my first paypal claim so I don't know how it works. If the seller doesn't have the money in his account (which I assume mine doesn't as he's made off with a 5 figure scam) where does the money come from?? Does paypal have insurance to credit my account or am I out of luck?? I really would like to know how this works.

Obviously, those of us getting hosed would love to be joining the rest of you.

In the meantime, keep the breaks and the scans coming, we're all enjoying them.

Save those Reds chromes for me.

shawn
  • If you look at the Owens cards, his autograph is slightly different on the cards. Very strange.
  • Shawn,

I wish I knew the answer to your questions since I am in the same boat! Anyone else out there know the answers???

Craig in Texas

<< <i>My case from LRCards arrived today too, so I decided to start with that case first. After 3 boxes, here are the highlights:

Box 1
    Carlos Beltran bat

Box 2
    Lance Berkman jersey

Box 3
    Hank Blalock jersey >>

WOW that is a nice start...that is actually how I started, even though my boxes were from different cases. Good luck with the rest.

Kevin
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    If you look at the Owens cards, his autograph is slightly different on the cards. Very strange.

also look at his black teeshirt.. it hits the red border in the one card. doesnt hit it in the light blue card. and of course team letter and name is not same color..
    Shawn

It depends, I am not sure how paypal works presales (I assume that is what you guys did?)

If the seller does not have any money in his account you would be paid from the paypal fund depending
    if he was a 200.00 or 2000.00 dollar in buyer protection. The best advice I could give you is if you paid by CC
    to go that route.

lejascards seems to know more about this then I do. Maybe he will chime in here with some advice too.

Storm is another that knows the ins and outs.

From what I understand though Paypal allowed 20 days if it was a presale.

Hope this helped.

Steve
    Good for you.
    As for Stone he PM'd me earlier in the day, said the UPS man left him his case and he would be off ripping all night and chewing gum.

LOL

Steve

Good for you.
  • "From what I understand though Paypal allowed 20 days if it was a presale. "

20 days after the 45 days to file? Or 20 days to file?

Craig in Texas

<< <i>Can I interupt this fun for just a second??

I'm one of the guys getting hosed by an eBay seller. When you say "I hope you get a refund", what does that mean??

This is my first paypal claim so I don't know how it works. If the seller doesn't have the money in his account (which I assume mine doesn't as he's made off with a 5 figure scam) where does the money come from?? Does paypal have insurance to credit my account or am I out of luck?? I really would like to know how this works.

Obviously, those of us getting hosed would love to be joining the rest of you.

In the meantime, keep the breaks and the scans coming, we're all enjoying them.

Save those Reds chromes for me.

shawn >>

Shawn - have you contacted your credit card company yet? Don't they have the power to reverse charges?

• Here are my best Heritage cards so far:

Ad Panel box toppers:

Stadium seat cards and original 1959:

Chrome cards: (The dust is from the scanner)

By the SP lists I've seen floating around, I also got 14 SPs in 2 boxes. Not too bad, but I don't think I'll buy any more full boxes.

Well, maybe 1 more. image
  • Does anyone know if there are other team variations like the Santana or is that the only one?
    What is with all the print dots on the last cards? Supposed to be like that?

also the dale long was an insert?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only opened 2 boxes and I got this buyback:

Has anyone put together a edited spread sheet with all the SPs yet?

I've got a lot of packs to open - but it have to wait till tomorrow - I'm tired.

mike
    Mike
  • Steve, All 6 of my chromes have those little 'dots' in the player photo background. I assume that's part of the design, and yes, the Dale Long was the 1959 original. Of course I was hoping for a Mantle, but it's cool anyway.
  • Steve, the dots are actually just the dimples in the chrome design and the Long was a box topper
    Stone, nice centering for a buy back
  • Does anyone think Topps will release the production numbers of the buybacks? I mean, all I have seen are commons.

Craig in Texas
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Geordie,

Haven't tried my CC company yet. Filed with paypal, my seller has until 3/5 (my birthday of all days) to respond, which he won't, and I'll win the claim. I just didn't know how it worked if the seller doesn't have the money in his account?? I'm suppose to be safe for up to $2000, but if the money is not there, where does it come from?? If it's a lost cause, I'll do my CC company next. I've been given some tips on who to get answers to this question from since no one posting seems to know (Thanks Steve)

I'm as excited as the rest of you about doing heritage again, so I apologize for hijacking this thread with my own problems, I'll try to take it somewhere else so we can continue with the box breaks on this thread.

Thanks guys,
    shawn
  • I was wondering the same thing parker.
    Shawn, you're not hijacking the thread, I hate the fact that the ripping fun has been so limited due to a couple of faulty sellers. Hopefully it all works out soon and you can pick up some cards from another vendor, trading will be going on for quite some time.