Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I could sell off about a third of my HOF set and make the opening bid. lol

Love the 50 Bowmans, that one has a TON of color too making it look even nicer.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have about 10 1984 dwights at PSA right now so I will hold off on that card.

One card that I would really like to add is a Gale Sayers RC in PSA 9. I know its a pop 20 but I never see it available.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay and if there is anyway to get a hold of one.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Sayers 9

Here's one for you Roger. Pretty nice on too. I think you could grab one for $2,500 though.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast. You guys are great.
    Now , anyone that has one already, can you guys tell me what you paid approx.

I want the card and will pay fair market value but do now want to OVER pay.

Thanks for any input.

Roger-
  • Options
    I paid $2,600 for mine.

Marc.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Ive seen Sayers 9's sell anywhere between $2100-$3000 over the past few years.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I just made an offer but then looked at his feedback and noticed he didnt take paypal so I cancelled my offer. Just seems fishy.

Roger-
  • Options

<< <i>Now , anyone that has one already, can you guys tell me what you paid approx. >>

I paid $1,600 for mine a little over a year and a half ago, but I think the days of sub $2K Sayers 9's may be done with.

<< <i>I just made an offer but then looked at his feedback and noticed he didnt take paypal so I cancelled my offer. Just seems fishy. >>

I wouldn't worry about buying from them. They're legit. They had a card I wanted a while back and I did some research on them. It's actually a group of collectors/investors that buys cards, waits for them to appreciate in value, and then sells them when the time is right. Or something like that. I'm sure the lack of Pay Pal is due to the high fees.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Ok, I noticed that all of their feedback was .01 cent auctions. Got me worried. Usually a sign of someone running up feedback to pull a scam. Especially since they have a bunch of high $$ cards up right now.
  • Options
    The cards that seller has are amazing! PSA 9 Musial rc? Wow! I know it's not football, but WOW! image
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a PSA 8 Gale Sayers rc for sale?

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a PSA 8 Gale Sayers rc for sale?

Greg M. >>

There are several for sale on ebay right now in the $550 range. That's what i paid for mine a couple years ago. The last few have closed at auction around $430 though.
  • Options
    Both on E-Bay are off centered more than I like. I'm looking for a centered copy...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Hi guys,
    I finally decided to join this set. If anyone has cards available in the effective highest grade available please send me a PM.
    I would rather just go after the best grade now so I wont have to upgrade later. I am only looking for cards that are centered close to perfect.
    I know this is a very competitive set and thats what has drawn me to it.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Roger-

Some cards where the pop might be 3 or 4 in 10 but none are ever available (77 largent) - I will take a 9.

Happy New Year to you guys, i really admire what you have done with this set. AMAZING! >>

Roger,

PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Okay guys, I have read post upon post in this thread and with the few cheap cards I bought on CU last night I have decided to start my HOF rookie collection to go along with my autograph collection.
    Any advice you can provide would be helpful. I am not really looking to have the best set or the highest rated just as many as I can. Lower grades are fine with me as well. So with that being said I am of course going to start with the cheaper ones and work my way up as the income allows. As it is I have a few dollars in my paypal account waiting to be spent!
    I have really enjoyed reading the posts and will continue through the thread. Thanks for any help you can provide and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bob...
  • Options
    Welcome Bob. Just know that once this set gets ahold of you, it doesn't let go!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    not to throw out a sad sob story, but me and the other 30 employees in my company all lost our job the day after Christmas and obviously my cards have to go. Here is a list of my HOF rookies I have. Please PM if interested.

1989 Score Troy Aikman PSA 9
    1989 Score Barry Sanders PSA 9
    1989 Score Bruce Matthews PSA 9
    1989 Score Michael Irvin PSA 9
    1985 Topps Mike Munchak PSA 9 SOLD
    1985 Topps Warren Moon PSA 9
    1984 Topps Jackie Slater PSA 9
    1984 Topps Russ Grimm PSA 9 SOLD
    1984 Topps Morten Anderson PSA 9 SOLD
    1984 Topps Dave Krieg PSA 9
    1984 Topps Roger Craig PSA 9
    1984 Topps Eric Dickerson the RC PSA 9
    1984 Topps Dwight Stephenson PSA 8
    1984 Topps Howie Long PSA 9
    1983 Topps Marcus Allen PSA 9
    1983 Topps Mike Singletary PSA 9
    1982 Topps Ronnie Lott PSA 8 SOLD
    1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor PSA 8 SOLD
    1982 Topps Anthony Munoz PSA 8 SOLD
    1981 Topps Dan Hampton PSA 9 SOLD
    1981 Topps Kellen Winslow PSA 9 SOLD
    1979 Topps Ozzie Newsome PSA 8
    1978 Topps John Stallworth PSA 8 SOLD
    1977 Topps Mike Webster PSA 8 SOLD
    1977 Topps Mike Haynes PSA 8
    1977 Topps Leroy Selmon PSA 8
    1974 Topps John Hannah PSA 8 SOLD
    1973 Topps Jim Langer PSA 8
    1973 Topps Art Shell PSA 8 SOLD
    1972 Topps Charlie Joiner PSA 8 SOLD
    1972 Topps Ron Yary PSA 8
    1971 Topps Ken Houston PSA 7
    1970 Topps Alan Page PSA 9
    1970 Topps Jan Stenerud PSA 8 SOLD
    1966 Philadelphia Bob Brown PSA 7
    1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson PSA 8 SOLD
    1965 Philadelphia Carl Eller PSA 7
    1964 Philadelphia Merlin Olsen PSA 8
    1959 Topps Jim Taylor PSA 8
    1959 Topps Bobby Mitchell PSA 8 SOLD
    1948 Leaf Bobby Layne PSA 5 SOLD

Thank you to all whom have purchased so far and for your kind words, this last few days has really been quite a whirlwind for me and family, but I still have a wonderful wife and stepdaughter and good family and that is the important thing.
  • Options
    Wow...That really bites..

PM sent.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, but I hope things get better for you.
    I sent a PM as well.

Bob...
  • Options
    I am still looking for a few upgrades and to fill some holes. If anyone has anything that'll fill a hole in my set, please let me know.

I am also looking for upgrades and need the following cards.
    Tarkenton PSA 8
    Wright PSA 8
    Leroy Kelly PSA 7
    Sam Huff PSA 7/8
    Lenny Moore PSA 7
    Joe Schmidt PSA 7
    Bednarik PSA 3+

I really would like to get a PSA 7 1962 Ditka as well.

If anyone has any of these, I'd be interested in hearing about them!
  • Options
    I have a couple extra Kelly psa 7,s
  • Options
    Well my G Men gave it all they could, but it wasn't quite enough. 16-0 is amazing. 50 TD passes is amazing. 23 receiving TDs is amazing. And the most points scored by a team in a season, whatever that number is, is amazing too.

Man when they say records are made to be broken, I guess they mean it. First Emmitt breaks Riggins' TD record, then Faulk, then Alexander, then LT2. And who would have thought someone other than Manning would break his passing TDs record just a few years after he set it???
  • Options
    Any of you have any idea what a '48 Leaf Bobby Layne 7 might sell for? Can't decide whether to sell or not but I also can't find any info on even a starting point for price. You'd be the guys who would know.

I say Good Day!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    vcp has no info on a psa 7 for either variation....or anything higher than that.
    psa 6 has 2 sales: $467 and $580 x=$523
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Drew will find another job quicker than you can say Derrick Thomas! image

Seriously....sorry to hear about the job, but you're a smart guy and you will find something perfect for you soon enough! Keep your head up!

PM Sent
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bobby Layne 7? 2K+...Regardless of variation...

Prime example..HOF RC Charley Trippi from the same set...PSA 6's have sold for $178 and $102...PSA 7's have sold $1425, $1404, and $1511...I won the last one at $1511...The Population on the Trippi in PSA 7 is 8 with 8 graded higher....The POP on the Layne in PSA 7 is 9 with 3 graded higher (counting all variations)...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Two more TDs for Hester
    Crown his ass!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Wife got me a Hester Auto mini helmet for Christmas. Man she knows me good!!
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    What is Hester's rookie card? The best one, that is.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just put up a Jack Lamber PSA 9 and an Alan Page PSA 9 on the 'bay

PACKERHOFBIDDER's cards
  • Options
    Jeez. I just spent almost $1000 upgrading 8 cards in my HOF set and I moved up exactly .04 and some cards were 2 full grade upgrades!

I gotta fill these holes before February hits. lol

I wonder how Jon feels when he spends multiple-thousands and sees no improvement. Guess I shouldn't whine. image
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    thanks Arnold and everyone else whom has purchased cards, I am flying out Wednesdy and think I already have another job lined up, but am still obviously cautious and am going to thin out my card collection. I'm sticking to the HOF rookies here, but will have a post later on the B,S,&T board and have tons of mint PSA HOF and better players from the 70-s to 2000's.

And if my pricing is off, I do apologize I don't have VCP and am open to help when I'm out in left field.

Edited to add: I updated my B,S,T post and also have some other Future HOF set stuff available like a 94 Bowman Isaac Bruce PSA 10 and a few 9's, 94 Bowman Tom Nalen PSA 10, 89 Pro Set Randall McDaniel PSA 10, and tons of other cards that fit in the all-time team sets and the like.

• Options
    Mikescardcloset----------- you just got a deal on that 72 PSA 9 Little. I was just trying to talk my wife into it for the past 20 minutes. Checked back and you got it. Oh well I wasn't sussessful in my negotiations anyways.
  • Options
    You should have hopped on the card for that price VJ. Even if you didn't intend to keep it, you could still have sold it for a tidy little profit. Very nice deal Mike!
  • Options
    exactly my point. I think my wife lacks the "football card" gene or the "possible profit " gene.
    If I ever see that one sell again, I will create a chart and spreadsheet and maybe she will comprehend. I even pulled out VCP but no luck.
    She is trying to quit smoking "cold turkey" so I am staying far away right now anyways.
  • Options
    Vince, I am truly sorry for your loss...And I don't mean the 72 Little..lolol

The day I have to get permission from the wife to buy a card is the day I stop collecting.image

Jason
  • Options
    When does the new class get announced. I was thinking it was during the playoffs?

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>When does the new class get announced. I was thinking it was during the playoffs? >>

Super Bowl weekend. It's either the day before the Bowl or the morning of.
  • Options
    Cool..Thanks!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Right now I'm looking forward to the baseball HOF announcement on Tuesday. This is a fun time of year for HOF rookie card collectors, especially those of us (like Jay and myself) who are crazy enough to do all 4 sports!
  • Options
    The next event for HOF inductions will be the release of the list of 17 Finalists who will be considered. Should be out any day now, the HOF voters 15 player ballots were due last month. The All-Pro selections for this year will be released on 10 Jan.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Right now I'm looking forward to the baseball HOF announcement on Tuesday. This is a fun time of year for HOF rookie card collectors, especially those of us (like Jay and myself) who are crazy enough to do all 4 sports!
    >>

I used to be crazy like that But I bailed on baseball and hockey. I still have my Basketball HOF set and only need one card to finish (Lapchick)... In fact, I just made my first non-football card purchase off ebay in over a year..... Malone

Who knows, maybe once my football is done, I'll pick up another sport...

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Great set Dave! There's a few more I'd like to add to my hoops set too.

I set boundaries in each sport, which makes collecting HOF rookies for all 4 feasible for me:

Baseball - 1960 and up
    Football - 1970 and up (with a few sprinkled in from earlier than '70)
    Basketball - 1970 and up
    Hockey - 1980 and up, and a few biggies from the '70's
  • Options
    Opinons on the two seniors, I say both are left out

Not sure how the heck they got on the list to start with, I can think of 100 players easy with better credentials then either of them.

Goldberg is a total what the !@#$%^&!@#$%^ Still scraching my head over that 1

Andy nice pick up on that 65 Eller it looks nice image
  • Options
    For those with NFL Network, they are showing Super Bowl III in its entirety tonight. Will probably be replaying it the next day or so, set your Tivo..A rare treat to watch the Namath guarantee game from start to finish...They will be replaying a bunch of the old Super Bowls this month..Must watch if you want to learn about why some of the old timers are HOFers...lol

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Andy nice pick up on that 65 Eller it looks nice image >>

Thanks Art image

As for the seniors, I hope at least Thomas makes it, or else my 9 will be worthless. I would imagine at least one of the 2 will get in, and the consensus seems to be that Thomas (although not a great candidate) is the more deserving of the 2.
  • Options
    I'm with Art, I don't think either is getting in at this point. The grumblings I've heard from many of the HOF voters is negative towards both of the senior candidates. If one of the 2 were to get in, I'd actually say Goldberg has the better shot, simply because many/most of the voters don't know much of anything about him or his career from over 50+ years ago. If whoever is pitching his case for induction to the HOF panel (which will likely be one of the 5 senior voters who selected him) does a good job he would be the one to sneak in. Most voters know of Thomas and his career as he played in the 60s-70s era. With SO MANY HOFers already in from that time, not to mention DBs, that is going to really hurt his chances.

Jason
  • Options
    The one and only thing that is definite is that we all get surprised every year (case in point Charlie Sanders last year). I would expect this year to be no exception.