Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With Parker being injured...That means my man Freddy T should be headed to Hawaii! If I were him I would decline it like Tom Brady did last year...

Jason >>

The reason Brady declined is he has already been to Hawaii. Do you honestly think you would turn down the Pro Bowl if you never went and you are in your 10th year? Come on Jason, he will go if he is asked.

I was at a charity event some years ago and talked with Donald Driver and Marco Rivera from Packers. They both said going to the Pro Bowl their first times was one the best moments of the football careers.

If you honestly think he won't go let's place a bet. I have a nice lot of Fred Taylor cards, some serial'd and I am sure a few rookies that I will give you if he is asked and he turns it down. You give me a lot of Packers if he does go if he is asked.

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With Parker being injured...That means my man Freddy T should be headed to Hawaii! If I were him I would decline it like Tom Brady did last year...

Jason >>

The reason Brady declined is he has already been to Hawaii. Do you honestly think you would turn down the Pro Bowl if you never went and you are in your 10th year? Come on Jason, he will go if he is asked.

I was at a charity event some years ago and talked with Donald Driver and Marco Rivera from Packers. They both said going to the Pro Bowl their first times was one the best moments of the football careers.

If you honestly think he won't go let's place a bet. I have a nice lot of Fred Taylor cards, some serial'd and I am sure a few rookies that I will give you if he is asked and he turns it down. You give me a lot of Packers if he does go if he is asked. >>

Sorry, I don't do bets...I never said he WOULD decline..He probably won't...Just saying if it was me, I wouldn't want to "backdoor" my way into my first pro bowl 10 years and 10,000 yards into my career...He already got the sour taste once again this year because he SHOULD have been voted, and would have if the fan vote didn't entail ballot box stuffing...In the fan vote Maurice Jones-Drew actually had more votes than Fred Taylor this year!!! Makes no sense...This is the 3rd time in his career he has been the "first alternate"..And would be his 4th Pro Bowl if the Jags had been an NFC team..

If Fred's happy to go, then I'm happy for him. I've met him a few times, even before he was a Jag (my family in Florida are huge Gator boosters/alumni)..He's a great guy, and a great player..

Jason

Edited to add: On Brady...If he were VOTED in last year, I think he would have went..He was going to be an injury replacement, but declined which led to Vince Young going to the Pro Bowl undeservedly IMO...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Well since this is the official hof rc thread thought i would announce i have officialy joined you guys on this great quest.
    Listed my set last night it is listed as Best of the Best and came in at about 80% please take a look and let me know on any hole fillers.
    I will never be in the elite few but would like to settle in someplace in the lower end on the top 10.
    HECK I WAS HAPPY JUST TO MAKE THE 1ST PAGE
    Maybe Jason can sell me back some of the cards he squeezed out of me over the years lol.

I wanted to say as most of you guys who know me are aware i have always collected base sets and Redskins but have always enjoyed watching you guys do your hof sets ,I really just started going after this set about the start of Nov and have been lucky some great cards have been available since then,so i am happy to have been able to reach this pct % point so fast.
    Already having many from my sets like all the 63 topps and 67,s and of course the Skins gave me a nice group to start with.

I have delt with many of you guys before and look forward to doing so in the future

Well gents it is great to join you guys in the hunt

You guys go easy on this old SKINSFAN now ok image
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Nothing like jumping in head first! Very nice set. You just flew by my 6 years of work..LOL.. Glad I could help contribute to your set.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Art, about darn time!!!!lol

Sorry, but my collection is locked away in the secret vault..It will take Nicolas Cage to find them, get them out and available..lol

Coming in at #12 is impressive...No easy (or cheap) feat...Look forward to watch your climb to 100%..No doubt you'll get there eventually.

Best of luck,
    Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Skins Fan,

So you are the @!#$%&* guy who I've been bidding against lately on ebay! What did you do, sell your Google stock, you've been on a buying frenzy. Sincerely, what a great set you've put together, welcome to the party! I'm also a newcomer to the set(Doc's HOF Rookies) and it's been a blast. These HOF guys certainly are passionate about this set as am I. Number 12 is a terrific start.

The race is on,
    Doc

P.S. Let me know if you want to part with that Fats Henry 8!!!
  • Options
    Doc,
    Fear the Skinsfan!!!!!
    I have been beaten by this guy for years. He is as tough as they come in competion and as nice a guy as there is when your not.
    If he says he wants a spot in the top ten, clear a space. He'll be there soon.
    Good Luck Art. Give 'em Heck.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Took me almost two years to get to #12 and I had to have 3 other big sets drop out of my way to get there. You come in and make #12 your home in one night.

Great set though. Welcome aboard. The more collectors, the better!

I was hoping to creep up towards Jay one of these days but I can't touch all 8's of his. I did just add a few cards though. Little 8, Matson 6, Yary 9, Brown 7. I think I have a PSA 8 Staubach coming too.

The Yary I picked up last night. Made a nice jump on my Vikings set. I still need to get the Eller and Tingelhoff in a 9, Page 10 and Tarkenton 8.

• Options
    Yay! Staubach 8 came today. Thank you Santa. (You know who you are). image

• Options
    THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS

Jason not cheap is a understatement working on this set is like buying a whole set of low pops

FUZZ now be nice truth be told i just could not stand battling the famous Fuzz any more he is too tough image

Doc i was thinking the same xxxxxxxx things about your bids lol

Big thanks to Dave and Mike Moore for a couple recent off ebay deals you hof rookie guys are great !!!!!

• Options
    1995...Arizona Cradinals Garrison Hearst, 1070 yads....1 TD. I live near Pittsburgh and I can tell you first hand, Parker isn't anything special at all. If there's a hole, he can run through it but otherwise he's one yard into the line and falls.
    And I also have run across skinsfan in bidding. Even stuff I didn't bid on I go back to see what it went for and there he is, another purchase.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I have a few HOF'ers available. Just posted on the BST board.
    Staubach, Matson, Little, Brown & Yary

I also have a PSA 9 64 Philly Grady Alderman rc for sale.
  • Options
    Happy holidays everybody!

This past year has seen many new sets added, a few go away and even more updated and upgraded. I know 2007 was good to my hof set, here's hoping 2008 is even better for all of us.

• Options
    I'm hoping to get to 96% by the end of 08'

In case anyone is interested, I just listed tons of cards for sale. I've decided to bail on the Future HOF sets (modern and SR.) I just got a bad taste in my mouth when neither player selected this year was in the set. I want to focus all my funds for the current HOF'ers and not in speculation.

Here is the link for all my cards for sale.

Hope everyone is enjoying Christmas!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Dave - many of those players (especially modern) will be elected to the HOF. Unless it's a financial issue, keep the cards, as you will just end up having to buy them back later.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thans to a couple fellow board members 11th has now been reached , I can almost smell that top ten image
  • Options
    I kept most of the "sure fire" hall of famers but had many duplicates. I figure if I sell all the seniors then, if they do eventually get elected, I should be able to get them back at maybe slightly higher prices. I just need to "slim down" my collection a little...

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to a couple fellow board members 11th has now been reached , I can almost smell that top ten >>

Congrats!!

I'm still holding on to a top 20 spot....For now....image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I had the same thought a couple of years back...My collection was expanding, felt like it was getting too big and too expensive and was taking away from my HOF RC set...After having to buy back cards of guys who later made the HOF at twice the cost, I just decided to keep the future HOF guys..Most of them are needed in various key card sets anyway, so thats how I justified it to myself..lol

Dave's been in the set since day 1, so I'm sure he will do what is best for himself and for his collection.

If I were him, I'd just ditch the other sports and stick to football..image

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>If I were him, I'd just ditch the other sports and stick to football.. >>

LOL...That's pretty much what I have done. When I started collecting again in 99' I started with baseball and basketball. Baseball didn't last long but I went all out on the basketball HOF rookies. Right now, I only need 2 cards to complete that set and I'm actively looking. Not a priority though. I also only need about 8-10 cards for my 61 fleer basketball set. I want to finish both sets and just let em sit. Which reminds me, I need to sit down and list tons of basketball cards for sale also.....image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Anyone see the PSA 9 Griese up for auction? Nice looking card.

How about the PSA 7 Bart Starr that just closed @ $821!!!

Seriously? $800? Three bidders willing to pay over $675 for it.
  • Options
    Ok, now that I've sold off a few things I'm working on a "want list" There are several more than this list but I will finish it later. Does anyone have any extra of the following they want to get rid of?

Any of the Chicle's in PSA 4
    48 Bowman Bulldog Turner PSA 6
    48 Bowman Pihos PSA 6
    48 Leaf Luckman PSA 5
    48 Leaf Van Buren PSA 5
    48 Leaf Waterfield PSA 5
    48 Leaf Nomellini PSA 5
    50 Bowman Tittle PSA 6
    50 Bowman Hirsch PSA 6
    50 Bowman Canadeo PSA 6
    52 Bowman Large McElhenny PSA 6
    52 Bowman Large Matson PSA 6
    55 Bowman St. Clair PSA 7
    55 Topps AA Hein PSA 7
    55 Topps AA Nevers PSA 7
    55 Topps AA Fats Henry PSA 7
    62 Topps Tarkenton PSA 7
    63 FLeer Alworth PSA 7

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave i have a Tittle 5 if that helps, nice 1 just got it back from psa was thinking a 6 when i sent it in
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Check out this beauty that I just picked up....another one bites the dust.

Greg M.

Friedman rc
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    WOW! That Friedman is very nice Greg. Congrats! image
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    Now that I have the money, if a PSA 8 Tarkenton shows up I'll have a PSA 7 avialable.

I have a PSA 5 Ollie Matson if you're interested.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave i have a Tittle 5 if that helps, nice 1 just got it back from psa was thinking a 6 when i sent it in >>

I'll pass for now. I really want a 6 so I'll just wait a nice one out.. Thanks anyway

Josh, Let me know when you get your 8.....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    My 2007 HOF Rookie acomplishments.

Started the set.
    Added 63 cards to the set throughout the year for 33% of the set.
    Bought a Bart Starr PSA 7 and Paul Hornung PSA 7 for $300 from a great friend to get me started.
    Upgraded my Henry Jordan, Willie Wood and Ray Nitschke so PSA 8's.
    Crossed the 1.50 rating after my Secret Santa gave me Lou Groza and Bulldog Turner.
    Bought, sold and traded with many members of the registry.

2008 Goals

Add another 30 cards to the set
    Upgrade either Don Hutson (8), Clark Hinkle(5 or 6), Forrest Gregg(9), Jim Taylor(9) or Jim Ringo (8)
    Complete the run from 1973 to present (16 cards to go)

What are your goals for 2008?

• Options
    2007- raised my GPA/Set Rating from 7.49 to 7.76.

2008- Continue moving towards my final goal of a "no upgrade needed" set.

PSA 7's for 1935-1948
    PSA 8's for 1950-1969
    PSA 9's for 1970-1986
    PSA 10's for 1987- Present

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>2007- raised my GPA/Set Rating from 7.49 to 7.76.

PSA 7's for 1935-1948
    PSA 8's for 1950-1969
    PSA 9's for 1970-1986

Jason >>

What about the '33's Jason image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2007- raised my GPA/Set Rating from 7.49 to 7.76.

PSA 7's for 1935-1948
    PSA 8's for 1950-1969
    PSA 9's for 1970-1986

Jason >>

What about the '33's Jason image >>

Yeah, 7's on those as well...lol..Already done, no upgrades needed on those 2...

Jason
  • Options
    Jason you have 1 33 8 you know you need to get the other now come on image
  • Options
    My goal is to finish the set and get the upgrades I want for the year.

That is PSA 4 on the Sport Kings and Chicles.

PSA 5 1948s
    PSA 6 1950s
    PSA 7 1960s
    PSA 8 1970s
    PSA 9 1980s
    PSA 10 1990s

If I can accomplish that, I'll be ecstatic. Then in 2009, I'll work on moving everything up another grade.

I'm hoping to move into the #1 spot on the Vikings set one of these days too....someday.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    2007 - Moved from circa 47% to over 66% complete.
    2008 - Move to 75% complete and upgrade my post 1960 PSA 7's to PSA 8's

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Jason you have 1 33 8 you know you need to get the other now come on image >>

Well, never say never, if one pops up in my price range...lol...Quite possible I could also end up trading down/selling the PSA 8 Grange back to a PSA 7 Grange..A PSA 7 meets my collecting goals, so I would move the 8 if it somehow furthered my set at spots that needed upgrading...

As it stands right now, there are only 15 cards in my entire set that need to be upgraded to meet my standards. All 15 are really tough and/or really expensive...In fact, I would be shocked to pay less than 4 digits for ANY of the upgrades I still need...Luckily, there are still some cheaper cards to chase on the other HOF and Key Card sets...lol

Jason

• Options
    You guys are better than me, I couldn't tell you what my % completion starting the year was or my grade.

I do know I spent a lot of money and time tracking down the cards I need and finding treasures to get to 99% and a place in the top ten.

I would like to find a 1933 thorpe in PSA 5/6, and I may never get the Nagurski, unless one falls from the sky.

Goals for 2008:

Continue to find treasures on the Bay to upgrade my set or trade.

Win the lottery so I can complete the set!
  • Options
    Jason all i can say is if you ever upgrade that very tough 99 card from the 52,s just remember that 7 would love to come back home image
  • Options

<< <i>Jason all i can say is if you ever upgrade that very tough 99 card from the 52,s just remember that 7 would love to come back home image >>

You'll be my first contact on it if/when it ever comes available...With the PSA 8's selling in the 3K+ range its probably a long shot..I used to own a PSA 8 Stydahar that I later sold...The only way I owned it the first time was because of a pop and resubmit to PSA..image

My high price point on the card in PSA 8 is about half of the avg selling price...lol..A longshot, but like I said never say never..Stranger BINs have happened on ebay..lol

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are better than me, I couldn't tell you what my % completion starting the year was or my grade.

I do know I spent a lot of money and time tracking down the cards I need and finding treasures to get to 99% and a place in the top ten.

I would like to find a 1933 thorpe in PSA 5/6, and I may never get the Nagurski, unless one falls from the sky.

Goals for 2008:

Continue to find treasures on the Bay to upgrade my set or trade.

Win the lottery so I can complete the set! >>

I usually print a copy of my set from the PSA Registry about ever 3 months or so. Mainly to keep track of the POPs, but also allows me to see what I've upgraded and how my set rating has grown.

FYI to all, I will be sending the annual "Grade Weight Updates" to Cosetta next month sometime which will change Set ratings slightly...Approx 20-25 cards on the set will need the weights updated since last year. Before you ask, as per PSA guidlines, the weights are based strictly on card value in PSA 8..So if they have changed in the SMR within the past year, the weights will possibly change. If there are cards anyone sees that are way off, my advice would be to e-mail that info to PSA and try to get the SMR updated. Only 1 card is moving more than .5 in weight and that is the 1967 Phiilly Leroy Kelly. Finally got an SMR adjustment from $150 last year to $575 this year, so the weight will go from 2.0 to 4.5..

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Stranger BINs have happened on ebay..lol >>

Jason, what is your best deal you've gotten on a BIN? I still remember you getting a PSA 7 Bob St. Clair for $75 and i missed it by less than an hour. Still ticked about that one..image

There's not any BIN's I can think of except a PSA 5 Namath for $450. Good price but not great.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to give the HOF Rookie collectors a heads up that I am selling my Chuck Bednarik collection, ranked #1 on the PSA Registry and every card, including my prized 1948 Leaf #54 PSA 6, will be up on Ebay starting tonight. Also, I will list some Bednarik memorabilia as well, including the 1960 Eagles/Packers championship program in fabulous condition. It will be a 10 day regular style auction (not fixed price). I've had fun collecting this player set, but I do not see myself upgrading it any more, so good luck to all you guys and gals who bid on this and any other of my cards. I will still keep my modern Lawrence Taylor set because I still have a little more work to do on that before I have reached my goal there.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    John Bednar
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    Very Nice!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    <Jason, what is your best deal you've gotten on a BIN? I still remember you getting a PSA 7 Bob St. Clair for $75 and i missed it by less than an hour. Still ticked about that one..>

I remember Jason picking up a PSA 9 1959 Jim Taylor for a very nice BIN price. I saw it a few minutes after it was gone.

Chad
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to give the HOF Rookie collectors a heads up that I am selling my Chuck Bednarik collection, ranked #1 on the PSA Registry and every card, including my prized 1948 Leaf #54 PSA 6, will be up on Ebay starting tonight. Also, I will list some Bednarik memorabilia as well, including the 1960 Eagles/Packers championship program in fabulous condition. It will be a 10 day regular style auction (not fixed price). I've had fun collecting this player set, but I do not see myself upgrading it any more, so good luck to all you guys and gals who bid on this and any other of my cards. I will still keep my modern Lawrence Taylor set because I still have a little more work to do on that before I have reached my goal there.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    John Bednar >>

Awesome...I'll definitely be a bidder...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stranger BINs have happened on ebay..lol >>

Jason, what is your best deal you've gotten on a BIN? I still remember you getting a PSA 7 Bob St. Clair for $75 and i missed it by less than an hour. Still ticked about that one..image

There's not any BIN's I can think of except a PSA 5 Namath for $450. Good price but not great.

Dave >>

Well, I can only tell you from the cards I still own...Any (like the St. Clair 7) that I sold upon upgrading, I don't track those. Only keep a list of purchase prices from my current collection. Here are a few nice BINs from the past few years followed by the month/year:

PSA 6 1935 Chicle Dutch Clark $625.00---8/2006
    PSA 8 1954 Bowman Doug Atkins $64.95---9/2000
    PSA 8 1955 Topps AA Bruiser Kinard $99.99---4/2007
    PSA 8 1957 Topps Dick Lane $89.99---10/2005
    PSA 8 1958 Topps Sonny Jurgensen $65.00---10/2003 (also got a PSA 7 Jim Brown RC for like $275 from same seller...crazy!!)
    PSA 9 1959 Topps Jim Taylor $275.00---1/2007
    PSA 9 1970 Topps OJ Simpson $349.00---5/2006
    PSA 9 1974 Topps John Hannah $75.00---9/2005

On the flip side, there are a few I overpaid on as well...But without some of these great deals, I'd never be where I am on a government salary...lol

Jason

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Hi guys,
    I finally decided to join this set. If anyone has cards available in the effective highest grade available please send me a PM.
    I would rather just go after the best grade now so I wont have to upgrade later. I am only looking for cards that are centered close to perfect.
    I know this is a very competitive set and thats what has drawn me to it.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Roger-

Some cards where the pop might be 3 or 4 in 10 but none are ever available (77 largent) - I will take a 9.

Happy New Year to you guys, i really admire what you have done with this set. AMAZING!
  • Options
    Roger, welcome to the set...

Only extra HOFer I have available right now is PSA 9 1984 Topps Dwight Stephenson..Only 3 graded higher. Can do $35 DLVD on it.

PM or e-mail me at jabeduco@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Jason
  • Options
    Welcome to the set. You'll have a blast. Unfortuantly, I have no cards to offer at the moment. I did 2 weeks ago, but now all my low pop's are gone. Good luck!!!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    PSA 9 Canadeo on ebay right now. What a gorgeous card! $7k opening bid.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 9 Canadeo on ebay right now. What a gorgeous card! $7k opening bid. >>

Jon I. already owns it..Not sure any other HOF RC collectors can drop that amount for it. WAY outta my price range..lol..Will be interesting to watch, and I agree very nice card.

Jason