Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I think having his name in the news might help his chances. Simply because it brings him just a little more cred...As far as the NFL pushing, NONE of the voters work for the NFL. All are members of the media (aka big mouths..lol)...If the NFL office actually attempted to push someone or something like that to the voters I would have to believe it would be all over the news and become another scandal...

The voters COULD individually have the same thoughts that you posted and only they would know..If could swing a vote, change a mind or 2 and that could be the difference...Its going to be a close vote for both seniors this year...More than a few HOF voters were up-in-arms after the Seniors were announced...

I'd still be shocked to see both Seniors go in, but I've been shocked by more than a few of the HOF committees recent decisions so who knows...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey guys, I need a bit of your advice regarding PSA if you can. I have several cards that are graded with OC qualifiers but at least some of them are, in my opinion, close to getting one grade lower without the qualifier. I was wondering if it's worth it to even resubmit them or if it's impossible to get the qualifier removed? Some are 9OC's that I'd be happy to have an 8.

Any thoughts??
    Doc
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    You could crack them and resubmit with a "no qualifiers" submission. Is it worth it? Well typically a straight 7 will sell for more than an 8OC, and it would give your registry sets more points. If the submission costs and risks are worth it, only you can answer.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Made a HUGE jump today in the set. From 46th to 38th. Also crossed the 30% complete milestone. Top 30 overall is my goal for 2008.

I got a few 9's of the 1970's guys Lambert, Page and Webster cracked out of SCD slabs. I would trade those for 8's of the same and other HOF rookies if anyone is interested in helping me out. My first goal is to complete the set and then upgrade so if I can upgrade you on these three let me know and we can work out a deal.

I posted my grades in another post.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow, that might be the nicest PSA 2 I've ever seen...

Based on the scan it looks like PSA 5-6 material..Must be a major malfunction somewhere??? Can't be just the spots on the back..Ive seen way worse with a better grade attached. I'd pop it in a second, resubmit and see what happens..

This is the lowest graded card I own:

Its from the same set, its a grade higher and look at the difference..Something doesn't make sense here..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Got to be some paper loss thats a automatic 2
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Chipboy strikes again! Just won the PSA 9 '71 Greene for $5,000:

Mean 9

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Who is Chipboy? Never heard the name before...

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    It's actually chipboy 999. He also snagged the Lenny Moore 9 recently, as well as a PSA 9 '66 Namath that went for a ton. Based on his bidding history, he seems to win just about every auction he bids in. Far as I know he's not a registry guy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    WOW! I'm blown away by that price. I would think a PSA 10 would go for that, not a 9.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    gees andy
    I thought you were chipper using a 2nd ebay id.

he just paid 1100 for a oc stabler psa 9

another bulldog has been let out of the dog pound......lets see if portland animal control can catch him....
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    and another thing.....how on earth can that card be a psa 2????????

even if it has a surface wrinkle ?????

very nice card for the grade.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Yes, definalty a 7 in a 2 holder. It will be off to PSA again next week.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave- That card has tremendous eye appeal. Even if it comes back a 2, It makes a great addition to any collection.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, definalty a 7 in a 2 holder. It will be off to PSA again next week. Here is another scan after I scraped some of the dried glue off the back. Looks like I just pulled it out of a pack!! LOL..

image >>

How much did you pay for it?

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Dave - I concur with the sentiment that it is the nicest looking 2 I've ever seen.

Here's my 5 from that set - image
  • Options
    Well guys, I just noticed that today marks the one year anniversary of this thread. 2500 post's in a year is absolutly awesome. Lets keep it up for 2008.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and stays safe!!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Anyone have a real nice, centered PSA 9 Morten Andersen rookie for sale?
  • Options
    2008 Pro Bowl Rosters have been announced:

2008 Pro Bowl

Still want to see who is selected All-Pro this year, plus some guys could bow out of the Pro Bowl which could mean others being added...Based strictly on this roster, here are some of the players we will have to consider adding to the Future HOF Modern set next month:

Walter Jones- 8th Pro Bowl
    Alan Faneca- 6th Pro Bowl
    Randy Moss- 6th Pro Bowl
    Terrell Owens- 6th Pro Bowl
    Jason Taylor- 6th Pro Bowl

On the flip side, here are some players on the modern list who did NOT make the Pro Bowl this year..Are all of these guys still future HOFers?

Junior Seau- 12 Pro Bowls
    Larry Allen- 11 Pro Bowls
    Derrick Brooks- 10 Pro Bowls
    Marvin Harrison- 8 Pro Bowls
    John Lynch- 8 Pro Bowls
    Morten Andersen- 7 Pro Bowls
    Orlando Pace- 7 Pro Bowls
    Michael Strahan- 7 Pro Bowls
    Zach Thomas- 7 Pro Bowls
    Brian Urlacher- 5 Pro Bowls
    Isaac Bruce- 4 Pro Bowls
    Jason Elam- 2 Pro Bowls
    Adam Vinatieri- 2 Pro Bowls
  • Options
    I was really pulling for your boy Freddy T. to make it, JP. I would have had no problem if he made it over Addai (low ypc) or Parker (only 2 TDs). Taylor has his usual high per carry average, and he's probably the hottest running back in the league. I really hope he goes in someone's place.

As for your list, I vote:

Walter Jones- 8th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Alan Faneca- 6th Pro Bowl (Not yet)
    Randy Moss- 6th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Terrell Owens- 6th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Jason Taylor- 6th Pro Bowl (Not yet)

The only real locks out of this group IMO are the top 4 plus Morten Andersen. Second tier would be Urlacher, Lynch, Strahan and Bruce. I think the other guys have some proving to do (Vinatieri's had an awful year).

John Lynch- 8 Pro Bowls
    Zach Thomas- 7 Pro Bowls
    Isaac Bruce- 4 Pro Bowls
    Jason Elam- 2 Pro Bowls
    Adam Vinatieri- 2 Pro Bowls

• Options
    I will run a vote next month..Much like the Senior Set vote we did..There are some other retired guys (ex. Andre Tippett/ Ken Stabler, etc) as well as some active players who didn't make the 2008 Pro Bowl (ex. Reuben Brown/Warren Sapp, etc) that we can also throw into the consideration...I will only request who the majority votes for though..

I agree with your assessment of the list of locks, and guys who are probable HOFers but definitely not LOCKS yet. I don't see anyone that I think deserves to be pulled from the set yet..If Zach Thomas were to retire after this season because of his concussion issues he might be a candidate. Something to think about, as we will also vote on anyone we feel should be removed..

On some of the others, If Walter Jones isn't added this year, I would want see Orlando Pace removed..Jones is easily the better/more dominant player of the 2...Jason Taylor I would only want to see added if Warren Sapp were also included. I think both are close, but not sure I'd vote for either just yet..

Too bad about Fred Taylor..He is once again (3rd time in his career) a 1st alternate...Honestly, at this point, I hope he doesn't go..I'm beginning to think being the greatest RB to never make a Pro Bowl could actually HELP Taylor's HOF chances some day..Especially if he retires with 12,000+ yards which is VERY likely...

Jason
  • Options
    Who here got a Christmas card from 4SC this year?

I mean I knew I bought alot of cards from them, but now Ive got to run out and get them something

• Options
    Hey!! THose are my cards your showing there...LOL..

When I looked about an hour ago your christmas card was there. What happended!!??!!

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here are my two pennies worth on those to add....

Walter Jones- 8th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Alan Faneca- 6th Pro Bowl (No)
    Randy Moss- 6th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Terrell Owens- 6th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    Jason Taylor- 6th Pro Bowl (Yes)
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>2008 Pro Bowl Rosters have been announced:

2008 Pro Bowl

Still want to see who is selected All-Pro this year, plus some guys could bow out of the Pro Bowl which could mean others being added...Based strictly on this roster, here are some of the players we will have to consider adding to the Future HOF Modern set next month:

Walter Jones- 8th Pro Bowl
    Alan Faneca- 6th Pro Bowl
    Randy Moss- 6th Pro Bowl
    Terrell Owens- 6th Pro Bowl
    Jason Taylor- 6th Pro Bowl

On the flip side, here are some players on the modern list who did NOT make the Pro Bowl this year..Are all of these guys still future HOFers?

John Lynch- 8 Pro Bowls
    Zach Thomas- 7 Pro Bowls
    Isaac Bruce- 4 Pro Bowls
    Jason Elam- 2 Pro Bowls
    Adam Vinatieri- 2 Pro Bowls >>

I think it would be tough to keep Walter Jones, TO, and Moss out of the hall. Faneca and Taylor... close, but not yet. Of the people who did not make it this year on your list, if they don't induct Seau they might as well close their doors. I'd consider Larry Allen, Marvin Harrison, and Vinatieri stone locks too.

BTW, how did Mario Williams not make the pro bowl? Do the voters even watch football?

Joe
  • Options
    Joe i dont think you can say any kicker is a lock ,he should be but kickers or punters just dont seem to get the attention they should.
    The guys that were hurt like Marvin and Zach i dont think this year will take away from what they have already done so agree the are solid picks
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, how did Mario Williams not make the pro bowl? Do the voters even watch football? >>

Good point. He, like Fred Taylor, has come on like gangbusters recently after an average start to the season. Makes me think Pro Bowl voters have their minds made up rather early in the season.
  • Options
    I've never understood why they make the selections before the season is even over...They still have plenty of time to make travel arrangements to Hawaii if they make the picks AFTER the regular season...Fred Taylor torched the #1 defense this past week and it doesn't even factor in because the voting was already complete..Same for Mario Williams and his 3.5 sack game from last Thursday...

Just doesn't make sense..Another reason that I feel All-Pro selections are a far more accurate assessment than Pro Bowl voting...

Jason
  • Options
    To expand on the kicker discussion a bit, I've really soured a lot on Vinatieri in recent years. If it weren't for his Super Bowl exploits, which no doubt were outstanding and clutch, he probably wouldn't even be in a possible HOF'er conversation right now. His long FG this year is just 39 YARDS. And, which I think is even more amazing, he hasn't made a 50-yarder since 2002. That's FIVE YEARS.

You can argue that he's played on some great offenses that aren't afraid to to go for it on 4th down, but the flip side is that, the Colts at least, don't trust him to make a long FG. I've watched the team enough over the past 2 years to know that. Vinny's hit on just 21 of 27 attempts this year with a long of 39. And he's the highest paid kicker in the league??????

Also, if Elam is in the discussion of possible HOF kickers, Jason Hanson has to be too. I'm not calling him a HOF'er, or even a likely HOF'er, but his stats are nearly identical to Elam's while playing for some pretty bad teams (post Barry Sanders of course image ), so he's earned at least a mention:

Elam 392-487 FGs (80.49%) 3 Missed XPs in 602 attempts
    Hanson 380-467 FGs (81.37%) 7 Missed XPs in 508 attempts

Lastly, I am very surprised that Vanderjagt hasn't latched on anywhere. I believe he still has the highest FG% in NFL history. And when he went on TV in Canada years ago and called Manning out for being too passive and not showing enough emotion (when he was more Eli-like than current Peyton-like), I agreed with what he said. Maybe not the best venue, but he may have helped Manning in a way he doesn't even realize.

• Options

<< <i>Joe i dont think you can say any kicker is a lock ,he should be but kickers or punters just dont seem to get the attention they should.
    The guys that were hurt like Marvin and Zach i dont think this year will take away from what they have already done so agree the are solid picks >>

True, it's hard to call a kicker a lock with only one true kicker in the hall. But he's had so many legendary clutch performances, and great overall numbers. I thought Monk was a lock too, so that shows what I know.

Joe
  • Options
    Speaking of Fred Taylor (and if I'm getting too far OT here LMK), here's some trivia:

Other than Taylor, who has the most career rushing yards without ever being selected for a Pro Bowl?

Joe
  • Options
    Antowain Smith?
  • Options
    All,

How about Olin Kreutz? Although he wasn't selected to the pro bowl this year, he is a 6 time Pro Bowl and 4 time All Pro selection. Food for thought. Also, what would be Jason Hanson's best rc? Checking out the All Time Lions set, I'm shocked that Hanson hasn't been added...strange.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Antowain Smith? >>

Damn you're good.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, what would be Jason Hanson's best rc? Checking out the All Time Lions set, I'm shocked that Hanson hasn't been added...strange. >>

Good question. I for one have no idea. I just did a quick search on eBay and saw that Hanson has 1992 Topps, Pro Set and Stadium Club (sweet looking card) rookies. I'm sure there's more, but I don't know what they are.
  • Options
    I agree on the kickers...I think it will take 2,400+ points to be in the serious discussion for the HOF..A few clutch kicks and just 1,500 points I don;t think he'll get in..Of all current kickers, I think Elam is the only one with a shot at 2,400 based on his pace, plus he has the NFL record 63 yarder under his belt as well as a couple of Super Bowl rings himself...Stover might actually be closer to HOF material than Hanson, but still far away...That being said, I would seriously consider voting each of those 2 kickers off the set until we get a clearer picture..

I'm not even sure Gary Anderson is going to get in...He will come up for voting before Morten and obviously Mort was the better kicker that Gary will be compared to...By the time Morten retires and gets in, Gary might be nearing the end of his modern candidacy...

Jason
  • Options
    Here is a little kicker trivia for you ( Jason dont answer i know you know it image YOU ARE UNSTUMPABLE !!!

Who was the only full time kicker to be the NFL,s MVP ?

The jeopardy tyme song is playing
  • Options
    Hornung?
  • Options
    Mark Mosely in 1982.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone working on this set/reading this thread wants/needs them, but W. Lanier and K. Houston rookies in PSA 8 are part of a lot of 6 '71 PSA 8s that's lot 404 in the current Lelands internet auction, which closes later today. It hasn't had a bid yet (opening is at $100).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Mark Mosely,
    Had to be a Redskin.

Publius,
    I figure I am over 5 large at a minimum with them this year. What do you have to do to be on that list? I sure didn't make it.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Mark Mosely in 1982 I think?

<<< EDIT: stupid page not turning bug... I didn't think anyone else had replied yet >>>
  • Options
    Greg you are correct image
  • Options
    Here are a few of the Beauties just recieved back from PSA..

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

All are for sale except the Brown, Kelly, and Howley (already sold)

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    This is the nicest centered Brown rc that I've ever seen.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Due to a fractured fibula, Willie Parker's season came to an end tonight. He finishes the season with 1,316 yards and two TDs. Yes TWO. Got me thinking, has a running back ever had that many yards and that few TDs? Almost doesn't seem possible.

I had Parker on my fantasy team this year and - speaking strictly from a fantasy perspective - I couldn't stand him. Sounds crazy to feel that way about the NFL's leading rusher, but the man just did not find the end zone at all this year. Talk about empty calories.
  • Options
    With Parker being injured...That means my man Freddy T should be headed to Hawaii! If I were him I would decline it like Tom Brady did last year...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Due to a fractured fibula, Willie Parker's season came to an end tonight. He finishes the season with 1,316 yards and two TDs. Yes TWO. Got me thinking, has a running back ever had that many yards and that few TDs? Almost doesn't seem possible.

I had Parker on my fantasy team this year and - speaking strictly from a fantasy perspective - I couldn't stand him. Sounds crazy to feel that way about the NFL's leading rusher, but the man just did not find the end zone at all this year. Talk about empty calories. >>

I've actually benched Parker the last 3 weeks. I've been starting Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson and Earnst Graham instead...

Greg M.

References: