Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Why hasn't the NFL HOF released the 2008 finalist list yet? Wasn't the list suppose to have been released at the end of December?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why hasn't the NFL HOF released the 2008 finalist list yet? Wasn't the list suppose to have been released at the end of December?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, list will be released either this week or next week at the latest. The voter cutoff for mailing the ballots in was late December.

They won't release it until they have all the ballots and have done the final count.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why hasn't the NFL HOF released the 2008 finalist list yet? Wasn't the list suppose to have been released at the end of December?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, list will be released either this week or next week at the latest. The voter cutoff for mailing the ballots in was late December.

They won't release it until they have all the ballots and have done the final count.

Jason >>

Thanks Jason. I'm getting antsy!!

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    LOL..I'm sure we all are..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

The finalists were announced on January 10th last year, so I'm guessing it'll be right around the same time this year.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Was looking at the current finest list today.. We now have 77 sets with 22 being updated in the last 3 days..That's amazing how far this set has come in the last 5 years...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jason, Do you have any "screenshots" from back in the day? I would love to see my percentages/set rating from 4-5 years ago.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, Do you have any "screenshots" from back in the day? I would love to see my percentages/set rating from 4-5 years ago.

Dave >>

Dave, no I sure don't. I have some of my own set printouts, but nothing on anyone else's sets.

Jason
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Jason, Do you have any "screenshots" from back in the day? I would love to see my percentages/set rating from 4-5 years ago.

Dave >>

I was just thinking about this... you had said "4 or 5 years ago" and I was thinking to myself... "self, no way this set has been around that long, heck you've only been in it for a year or so and there about 20 sets registered when you started"

Then I realized, I started my All Time Rushers set back in August of 2004! My HOF set was started shortly thereafter, with the bulk of focus coming around the Nationals in 2005. Which means that the Nationals this year (Again in Chicago where it all started for me) will mark 3 years of this set. I had no idea. I can't believe it's been that long already. Time sure does fly.

• Options
    Just found this on faniq. It was a poll of site visitors asking them to pick who they would vote into the HOF. Certainly the % of yes votes means nothing, but maybe some discussion material. I think it also represents what Jason long has expressed, that many current "fans" know little to nothing about the guys of yesteryear...even guys who played 15 or 20 years ago, as evidenced by the large number of "NO" votes.

Anyway, here are the numbers.

1. Cris Carter, WR (0 points)
    79% a. Yes
    21% b. No
    2. Terrell Davis, RB (0 points)
    50% a. Yes
    50% b. No
    3. Dermontti Dawson, C (0 points)
    33% a. Yes
    67% b. No
    4. Fred Dean, DE (0 points)
    12% a. Yes
    88% b. No
    5. Richard Dent, DE (0 points)
    50% a. Yes
    50% b. No
    6. Randy Gradishar, LB (0 points)
    14% a. Yes
    86% b. No
    7. Darrell Green, CB (0 points)
    75% a. Yes
    25% b. No
    8. Kevin Greene, LB/DE (0 points)
    37% a. Yes
    63% b. No
    9. Russ Grimm, G (0 points)
    45% a. Yes
    55% b. No
    10. Ray Guy, P (0 points)
    50% a. Yes
    50% b. No
    11. Charles Haley, DE/LB (0 points)
    50% a. Yes
    50% b. No
    12. Lester Hayes, CB (0 points)
    44% a. Yes
    56% b. No
    13. Rickey Jackson, LB (0 points)
    18% a. Yes
    82% b. No
    14. Joe Jacoby, T (0 points)
    34% a. Yes
    66% b. No
    15. Cortez Kennedy, DT (0 points)
    27% a. Yes
    73% b. No
    16. Bob Kuechenberg, G (0 points)
    18% a. Yes
    82% b. No
    17. Randall McDaniel, G (0 points)
    38% a. Yes
    62% b. No
    18. Art Monk, WR (0 points)
    82% a. Yes
    18% b. No
    19. Andre Reed, WR (0 points)
    62% a. Yes
    38% b. No
    20. Ken Stabler, QB (0 points)
    52% a. Yes
    48% b. No
    21. Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner (0 points)
    48% a. Yes
    52% b. No
    22. Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR (0 points)
    22% a. Yes
    78% b. No
    23. Derrick Thomas, LB (0 points)
    73% a. Yes
    27% b. No
    24. Andre Tippett, LB (0 points)
    25% a. Yes
    75% b. No
    25. George Young, GM/Administrator (0 points)
    17% a. Yes
    83% b. No
    26. Gary Zimmerman, T (0 points)
    42% a. Yes
    58% b. No
  • Options
    Jason had the best set of 2003 so it's at least 4 years old.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well I know that, it just didn't seem like that long ago. I was surprised. I didn't realize I had been doing this set as long as I had either.
  • Options
    Go to wayback machine (I think it's waybackmachine.org - you can do a google search). Here's the QB set from '03:

QBs
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Go to wayback machine (I think it's waybackmachine.org - you can do a google search). Here's the QB set from '03:

QBs >>

Wow, that's cool. I've never seen that before. I'll be playing with that website for the rest of the day now..lol

That Qb set is actually 2002. The HOF Rookie Players set wasn't even born yet. I hadn't even discovered the Registry at that point.

Jason
  • Options
    Holy Smokes I was third!!! LOL...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here's the HOF RC set back in August 2003. I was inching closer to #1, which I took before the end of October and secured the first Set Winner Certificate...lol

HOF RC- Aug 2003

Even better, here is Nov 1st, 2003. This was when i took over the top spot:

HOF RC Nov 2003

A year later, here is Aug. 2004, I was one card short of finally reaching 100%. Holding off MOSH, who eventually passed me the day before the set registry deadline for 2004.

Aug 2004

And my set for May 2003..Quite a change...lol

JasP24- May 2003

Jason
  • Options
    Oct 2005 (I can't see my actual set contents though)
    17 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.25 40.68% 1.92

Aug 2006
    17 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.47 53.30% 2.58

Today
    13 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.34 94.15% 5.45
  • Options

<< <i>Oct 2005 (I can't see my actual set contents though)
    17 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.25 40.68% 1.92

Aug 2006
    17 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.47 53.30% 2.58

Today
    13 Envoy98 - HOF RC's 6.34 94.15% 5.45 >>

Looks like you got serious in 2007...lol

Jason
  • Options
    That I did. It doesn't look like I upgraded much, just filled in holes, but I actually spent quite a bit of time and money upgrading a lot of the collector-grade stuff I had in my set, especially over the last 6 months. I did have a number of the cards of the guys recently elected in my team & team of the decade sets as well so that helped. As you know, I sold off my non-HOF and Vikings sets and re-focused those funds, albeit limited funds, back to my HOF set. That coupled with my ebay store helped me make a nice dent in the set. Not to mention lots of new collectors buying the stuff I've upgraded and other guys with more funds selling me their upgrades.

What's kind of funny is that the more collectors this set has gotten, the easier it has been to collect. I expected quite the opposite. I expected a lot more competition (which there is when it comes to ebay) but on the boards and among the members of the set, it's not really like that.
  • Options
    For the most part (there are always exceptions) the guys who collect this set are in it for the enjoyment of collecting it. That's how we started, and I'm glad to see we are still a pretty close nit group and not a bunch of cutthroats looking to screw each other over. We've all bought and sold to and from each other. Most of us have no problem helping a fellow HOF RC collector upgrade his set. When I lose cards on ebay, I always hope that the winner is at least someone else on the HOF RC registry. Keep the card "in house" so to speak..lol

While the nature of the Registry is competition, on this set at least, it rarely creates issues between the collectors here. I helped Jon and MOSH both get cards that were out of my price range, but could help grow their sets. I think seeing those monster sets as well as being helpful to each other along the way is one of the things that keeps the set growing. It has gone from zero to the most collected football set on the Registry. When you look at the other sports, the baseball and basketball HOF RC sets have not enjoyed anywhere near the level of interest the football HOF RC set has.

That's a pat on the back to all the "good guys" who collect this set and make it more fun than the average set.

Jason
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I know this is wrong but this is really the only thread Jason reads

Mr Taylor goes to Hawaii

• Options
    I think it's great that Freddie T. finally made the Pro Bowl this year. I've always been a big fan, but I must admit that I never would have thought it possible this year given his age and the emergence last season of MJD. But Taylor was HUGE down the stretch. NO one deserves to be in Hawaii more than him.
  • Options

<< <i>I know this is wrong but this is really the only thread Jason reads

Mr Taylor goes to Hawaii >>

Hey, I read other threads too!!!!

Thanks for the link though..Spread the good word..When the Jags beat the Pats this weekend and Freddy T gets 100+ his legend will only grow..lol

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, If the Jags beat the pats.....I owe you one....as long as they don't beat the colts also..LOL..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I was praying the Jags would beat the Steelers and that SD would beat TEN. I think Jax has the best chance of any to beat the Pats. I am very much looking forward to that game. More than any other, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Even though I don't post much on this thread, I DO read it just about every day. I had to respond to the past few comments from Jason regarding the guys who collect this set. I haven't met any of you guys but I'm quite sure we could sit down, grab a beer and talk cards/football like old friends. I'm glad I discovered the thread(actually credit my wife for that!) and I too like all of you, are a true collector and I have always been a crazy football fan. Growing up in Green Bay will do that to you.

You all seem like great guys and are as passionate about your cards as I am. It's a pleasure collecting this set, I just wish I would have started several years ago when everything was much cheaper!! I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford that Nagurski!!

Doc

• Options
    I did take notice from your list that the guy with the highest pct% of yes votes is 1 we have talked about many times ,will he get snubed again.

Art Monk
  • Options

<< <i>I did take notice from your list that the guy with the highest pct% of yes votes is 1 we have talked about many times ,will he get snubed again.

Art Monk >>

I think Monk has an excellent shot this year...Especially with the extra modern spot now available. If they had that spot the last few years, Monk would have been in already.

Jason
  • Options
    2007 AP All-Pro (1st Team)

OFFENSE

Quarterback
    Tom Brady, New England.

Running Backs
    LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego; Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia.

Fullback
    Lorenzo Neal, San Diego.

Tight End
    Jason Witten, Dallas.

Wide Receivers
    Terrell Owens, Dallas; Randy Moss, New England.

Tackles
    Walter Jones, Seattle; Matt Light, New England.

Guards
    Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh; Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota.

Center
    Jeff Saturday, Indianapolis.

Placekicker
    Rob Bironas, Tennessee.

Kick Returner
    Devin Hester, Chicago.

DEFENSE

Ends
    Jared Allen, Kansas City; Patrick Kerney, Seattle.

Tackles
    Kevin Williams, Minnesota; Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee.

Outside Linebackers
    DeMarcus Ware, Dallas; Mike Vrabel, New England.

Inside Linebacker
    Patrick Willis, San Francisco; Lofa Tatupu, Seattle.

Cornerbacks
    Asante Samuel, New England; Antonio Cromartie, San Diego.

Safeties
    Ed Reed, Baltimore; Bob Sanders, Indianapolis.

Punter
    Andy Lee, San Francisco.

SECOND TEAM

Quarterback
    Brett Favre, Green Bay.

Running Backs
    Adrian Peterson, Minnesota; Fred Taylor, Jacksonville.

Fullback
    Tony Richardson, Minnesota.

Tight End
    Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City.

Wide Receivers
    Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis; Braylon Edwards, Cleveland, and Wes Welker, New England.

Tackles
    Flozell Adams, Dallas; Jason Peters, Buffalo.

Guards
    Logan Mankins, New England; Leonard Davis, Dallas.

Center
    Dan Koppen, New England.

Placekicker
    Phil Dawson, Cleveland.

Kick Returner
    Josh Cribbs, Cleveland.

DEFENSE

Ends
    Aaron Kampman, Green Bay; Mario Williams, Houston.

Tackles
    Pat Williams, Minnesota; Vince Wilfork, New England.

Outside Linebackers
    Shawne Merriman, San Diego; James Harrison, Pittsburgh.

Inside Linebacker
    DeMeco Ryans, Houston; Nick Barnett, Green Bay.

Cornerbacks
    Champ Bailey, Denver; Al Harris, Green Bay.

Safeties
    Darren Sharper, Minnesota; Troy Palamalu, Pittsburgh, and Sean Taylor, Washington.

Punter
    Shane Lechler, Oakland.

• Options
    I'll take any of these guys over TO this year. Welker I might hesitate on, but he caught 110 or so balls and was effectively the running game for NE.
    Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis; Braylon Edwards, Cleveland, and Wes Welker, New England.

Westbrook was solid this year, but I think AP deserved it over him. AP is the only reason the Vikes were in any sort of contention at all. I could believe in an argument for the defensive ends on either team. Kampman and Mario had a terrific year... Good list of guys though. Nice to see Pat Williams and Fred Taylor making the list too.
  • Options
    Finally had my October sub pop...

Thread in Sports Card Forum

I have an extra PSA 10 1990 Action Packed Leroy Butler available. Fielding offers. I know a couple of guys were asking me to let them know if I get more than one on this sub, but it's been so long I don;t remember who!!!lol

Jason
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Hard to argue with the All-Pro picks - they did a great job this year. I doubt anyone would have complained if Peterson made it over Westbrook; that had to be a close call. I bet Westbrook's play where he stopped 1 yard short of a TD to ensure the Eagles could run out the clock sealed the choice for many writers. I would have picked Lechler of Lee and Williams over Kerney.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    We should know the vote counts shortly..I think Peterson missing a few games lost a few of his votes..

Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    All this talk of weighting has gotten me nostalgic. There are a lot of familiar names on this original set weighting thread from January 2003. And, some forgotten names. NFLHOFCollector (Robert) was as involved as Dave, Jason and I in getting the set rolling, but was only on the board for a couple of months. He got cancer shortly thereafter and sold all his cards.

Interstingly, the price slots for each weight don't look a whole lot different today than 5 years ago. The total prices sure have inflated though, as we all know. I made a comment on that thread that a straight 8 NFL HOF set had a total SMR of over $80,000!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>Hard to argue with the All-Pro picks - they did a great job this year. I doubt anyone would have complained if Peterson made it over Westbrook; that had to be a close call. I bet Westbrook's play where he stopped 1 yard short of a TD to ensure the Eagles could run out the clock sealed the choice for many writers. I would have picked Lechler of Lee and Williams over Kerney.

Joe >>

Ugh. DOn't remind me. Cost me a trip to the Fantasy Bowl!
    AP Missing a few games and falling off at the end of the year probably contributed a lot to the decision. Westbrook is just as important to his team too I suppose.

Nice job on the PSA 10 Butlers Jason, now that you own a couple, do you know what the difference is? Or were they simply PSA 9 crackouts? lol
  • Options
    Here are how thw votes shook out..

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Tom Brady, New England, 49½; Brett Favre, Green Bay, ½.

Running Backs

y-LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego, 50; Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia 32; Adrian Peterson, Minnesota, 15; Fred Taylor, Jacksonville, 2.

x-Fullback

Lorenzo Neal, San Diego, 26; Tony Richardson, Minnesota, 14; Greg Jones, Jacksonville, 4; Mike Sellers, Washington, 3; Lawrence Vickers, Cleveland, 1.

Tight End

Jason Witten, Dallas, 33; Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City, 8; Antonio Gates, San Diego, 6; Kellen Winslow, Cleveland, 2; Chris Cooley, Washington, 1.

Wide Receivers

Randy Moss, New England, 50; Terrell Owens, Dallas, 32; Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis, 11; Braylon Edwards, Cleveland, 3; Wes Welker, New England, 3; T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati, 1.

Tackles

Matt Light, New England, 26; Walter Jones, Seattle, 18; Flozell Adams, Dallas, 14; Jason Peters, Buffalo, 12; Joe Thomas, Cleveland, 9; Chris Samuels, Washington, 5; Jordan Gross, Carolina, 5; Jammal Brown, New Orleans, 3; Jonathan Ogden, Baltimore, 2; Jon Runyan, Philadelphia, 2; Jeremy Trueblood, Tampa Bay, 1, Michael Roos, Tennessee, 1; David Stewart, Tennessee, 1, Bryant McKinnie, 1.

Guards

Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota, 36; Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh, 21; Logan Mankins, New England, 18; Leonard Davis, Dallas, 13; Kris Dielman, San Diego, 4; Shawn Andrews, Philadelphia, 3; Chris Snee, New York Giants, 3; Jahri Evans, New Orleans, 1; Eric Steinbach, Cleveland, 1.

Center

Jeff Saturday, Indianapolis, 36; Dan Koppen, New England, 5; Andre Gurode, Dallas, 3; Matt Birk, Minnesota, 2; Nick Hardwick, San Diego, 1; Olin Kreutz, Chicago, 1; Brad Meester, Jacksonville, 1; Kevin Mawae, Tennessee, 1.

Placekicker

Rob Bironas, Tennessee, 41; Phil Dawson, Cleveland, 5; Mason Crosby, Green Bay, 3; Kris Brown, Houston, 1.

Kick Returner

Devin Hester, Chicago, 40½; Josh Cribbs, Cleveland, 8½; Leon Washington, 1.

———

DEFENSE

Ends

Patrick Kerney, Seattle, 30; Jared Allen, Kansas City, 28; Aaron Kampman, Green Bay, 20; Mario Williams, Houston, 8; Osi Umenyiora, NY Giants, 7; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee, 5; Jason Taylor, Miami, 2.

Tackles

Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee, 40; Kevin Williams, Minnesota, 32; Vince Wilfork, New England, 14; Pat Williams, Minnesota, 8; Jamal Williams, San Diego, 4; Kelly Gregg, Baltimore, 2.

Outside Linebackers

DaMarcus Ware, Dallas, 39; Mike Vrabel, New England, 31; James Harrison, Pittsburgh, 14; Shawne Merriman, San Diego, 9; Julian Peterson, Seattle, 4; Keith Bulluck, Tennessee, 1; Jason Taylor, Miami, 1; Ernie Sims, Detroit, 1.

z-Inside Linebacker

Patrick Willis, San Francisco, 30; Lofa Tatupu, Seattle, 22; DeMeco Ryans, Houston, 19; Nick Barnett, Green Bay, 12; Brian Urlacher, Chicago, 4; London Fletcher, Buffalo, 3; E.J. Henderson, Minnesota, 2; Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay, 2; Ray Lewis, Baltimore, 2; James Farrior, Pittsburgh, 1; Keith Bulluck, Tennessee, 1; Will Witherspoon, St. Louis, 1.

Cornerbacks

Asante Samuel, New England, 40; Antonio Cromartie, San Diego, 24; Champ Bailey, Denver, 11; Al Harris, Green Bay, 8; Charles Woodson, Green Bay, 6; Marcus Trufant, Seattle, 6; Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay, 3; Rashean Mathis, Jacksonville, 1; Terence Newman, Dallas, 1.

Safeties

Bob Sanders, Indianapolis, 49; Ed Reed, Baltimore, 35; Darren Sharper, Minnesota, 7; Sean Taylor, Washington, 3; Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh, 3; Jermaine Phillips, Tampa Bay, 2; Ken Hamlin, Dallas, 1.

Punter

Andy Lee, San Francisco, 35; Shane Lechler, Oakland, 13; Brian Moorman, Buffalo, 2.

———

x-two voters did not select a fullback.

y-one voter selected only one running back.

z-one voter selected only one inside linebacker.
  • Options
    Joe, I just sat here and read that whole thread. That brought back some memories..

Here is a quote from me on January 15th, 2003...that made me laugh

<< <i>I am currently only at 5% on the HOF registry, but I am also working on many other sports. >>

I had always thought I started this set in 2001 but apparently it was late 2002.........Now I feel old..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>All this talk of weighting has gotten me nostalgic. There are a lot of familiar names on this original set weighting thread from January 2003. And, some forgotten names. NFLHOFCollector (Robert) was as involved as Dave, Jason and I in getting the set rolling, but was only on the board for a couple of months. He got cancer shortly thereafter and sold all his cards.

Interstingly, the price slots for each weight don't look a whole lot different today than 5 years ago. The total prices sure have inflated though, as we all know. I made a comment on that thread that a straight 8 NFL HOF set had a total SMR of over $80,000!

Joe >>

Joe, if you wouldn't mind sending me an 8.0 gpa set for $80k, I will find you the $80k. image

A guy would have made one helluvan investment for 80k back then... SMR probably hasn't updated much but it's gotta be $175-$250k to do an 8.0 GPA set now.

• Options

<< <i>

A guy would have made one helluvan investment for 80k back then.... >>

• Options
    I'm reading that old thread of you guys talking about the HOF RC set and I can't stop reading the damn thing. Very interesting.
  • Options
    Question for you guys. I think this was discussed before, but I don't remember the answer. I saw that the minimum and maximum number of HOF electees is increasing this year to 4 and 7. I think I remember reading that it would only be 7 if both senior candidates are elected. Is this true? Or is it just max 7 regardless of the senior candidates?
  • Options

<< <i>Question for you guys. I think this was discussed before, but I don't remember the answer. I saw that the minimum and maximum number of HOF electees is increasing this year to 4 and 7. I think I remember reading that it would only be 7 if both senior candidates are elected. Is this true? Or is it just max 7 regardless of the senior candidates? >>

5 is the maximum number of MODERN electees. #6 and 7 can only be Senior candidates. Here's the new rule as it was stated by the HOF:

""""In advance of the Hall of Fame Selection Meeting in February, the selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 17 finalist candidates. At the annual meeting, each of the nominees is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken. First, the two senior candidates are discussed and voted on for election. They must receive the same 80 percent affirmative vote as the modern-era candidates. Next, the there is a vote that reduces the modern-era finalists list from 15 to 10. Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names. The five remaining candidates for Hall of Fame election are then voted on individually (yes or no) for membership.

In order to be elected a finalist must receive a minimum of 80% of the vote. All ballots are collected and counted by the firm Deloitte & Touche. No vote totals are announced – only the winners of the various reduction ballots are revealed to the selectors and the Hall’s representatives. First notification of the makeup of the newest class of enshrinees is made when the Deloitte & Touche representative presents a sealed envelope to Hall of Fame President/Executive Director Steve Perry at the press conference held immediately after the selection meeting.""""

They also increased the number of HOF voters to 44, which is a good thing IMO. I'd like to see an even 50, with some of them comprised of current HOF players or coaches.

It will take 36 YES votes for a player to be elected this year. This is why I think the Senior guys could be in some trouble. 9 NO votes and they don't get in. I know for sure, or at least from what I've heard, of at least 6 potential NO votes for BOTH of these Seniors...I think we will easily get 5 modern guys though.

Jason
  • Options
    Thanks. So the way I see it, there's really only 3 spots that aren't spoken for since spots 6 and 7 are reserved for senior candidates only. Carter and Green are pretty much givens, which leaves 3 spots that seem likely to be filled from the following players/administrators group - D. Thomas, Monk, Kuechenberg, Gradishar, Dent, Reed, Tagliabue, Young, McDaniel, and Guy. Do any of the other semifinalists have a decent chance?
  • Options
    Well, as we know ANYTHING can happen in that HOF meeting...

If I were ranking them by what I feel their HOF chances are this year, it would look something like this:

Final 5:
    Cris Carter
    Darrell Green
    Derrick Thomas
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Richard Dent

Final 15:
    Randy Gradishar
    Art Monk
    Russ Grimm
    Ray Guy
    Paul Tagliabue
    Randall McDaniel
    Ken Stabler
    Gary Zimmerman
    Lester Hayes
    Terrell Davis

Cut as semifinalist:
    Dermontti Dawson
    Charles Haley
    Andre Reed
    Andre Tippett
    Fred Dean
    Kevin Greene
    George Young
    Cortez Kennedy
    Rickey Jackson
    Joe Jacoby
    Steve Tasker
  • Options
    Okay so this was a TOTALLY unoriginal idea image, but I followed Jason's lead on the Future HOF'ers set and created one for baseball. It just went live this week. There's only about 3 legit senior candidates in baseball, so it's just one set. Anyway, if any of you guys do baseball as well, check it out:

Future Baseball HOF Rookies

• Options
    WOW...Look at the POP of some of those cards...lol

Amazing...

Jason

• Options
    Jason i sure hope your top 5 is a little off and includes Art Monk

If for no other reason then at least you will not have to hear me gripe about it anymore image
  • Options
    Jason, Did you hear anything back about the new weights?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Someone please explain to me the specifics with grade weights. Is it just the difficulty of obtaining the card? Have something to do with how high the grade is? ???