Home U.S. Coin Forum

The official Platinum Reverse Proof Set Thread

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, I will vote for Hillary Swank.

I think that she is adorable. >>

imageimage >>

ME TOO!!!! image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI...Most recent Mint stats, as posted by ericj96 in another thread.....

WEEKLY SALES REPORT AS OF DEC 17TH

2007-W UNC PLATS
    $100...931
    $50....904
    $25....927
    $10....3312
    4 COIN SETS 2423

ANNIVERSARY TWO COIN HALF PLAT PROOF SET

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS!
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    As of the 17th means the 13 thru the 16th,

14,000+ sets in only 4 days is pretty spectacular.

2,000 dollars x 14000 = 28 million dollars in 4 days

In 4 days the total mint orders were APPROX 40,000
    thus 35% of the orders were for Reverse Plat sets.
    It would seem, that when Mint orders are around 100,000
    we should be at or near sell out on the Rev Plat Sets.

So still holding to my 12/26 prediction for sell out.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I believe there will be NO sellout. These coins will be available until July next year. The flippers are going to be toast. Just MHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>As of the 17th means the 13 thru the 16th,

14,000+ sets in only 4 days is pretty spectacular.

2,000 dollars x 14000 = 28 million dollars in 4 days

In 4 days the total mint orders were APPROX 40,000
    thus 35% of the orders were for Reverse Plat sets.
    It would seem, that when Mint orders are around 100,000
    we should be at or near sell out on the Rev Plat Sets.

So still holding to my 12/26 prediction for sell out. >>

The big question is, who purchased these sets? We know there aren't that many platinum collectors and I believe the largest part have been bought by flippers. This set will go the way of the First Spouse Coins if that is true.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The big question is, who purchased these sets? We know there aren't that many platinum collectors and I believe the largest part have been bought by flippers. This set will go the way of the First Spouse Coins if that is true. >>

It appears that way. As time progresses, more flippers & collectors alike will be canceling their order. Pre sales on eBay have not been stellar. On the other hand, I have not seen a First Spouse PCGS coin sell below Mint Issued price & the TJ's auction results are better than what they were a month ago. The believe of the imminent demise of the First Spouse coins may be somewhat premature.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • I'm a long time lurker...

I think the majority of the buyers are like me. I have an order sitting in my cart trying to decide whether to keep or cancel. If they all ship on the 31st, whether they sell out or not, there will be no market for flipping. If by some miracle only a few thousand ship in the first batch, those will shoot up. I got my order in at around 12:10. I keep going back and forth on whether to keep or cancel, and the only way I'd keep is if I can get them graded (which I've never done) right away. Decisions, decisions... Ughhh. I'd love to just keep it, but I know they'll be going for cheap if a big wave ships and people need to recoup their money. Even 14,000 is a HUGE number. I don't see a sellout. Lots of cancel buttons will be hit soon if the ship date doesn't move.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    another way to look at this

at 1520 platinum, you have a 430 investment. Platinum is strong and supply disruptions are likely to continue.

<< <i>I'm a long time lurker...

I think the majority of the buyers are like me. I have an order sitting in my cart trying to decide whether to keep or cancel. If they all ship on the 31st, whether they sell out or not, there will be no market for flipping. If by some miracle only a few thousand ship in the first batch, those will shoot up. I got my order in at around 12:10. I keep going back and forth on whether to keep or cancel, and the only way I'd keep is if I can get them graded (which I've never done) right away. Decisions, decisions... Ughhh. I'd love to just keep it, but I know they'll be going for cheap if a big wave ships and people need to recoup their money. Even 14,000 is a HUGE number. I don't see a sellout. Lots of cancel buttons will be hit soon if the ship date doesn't move. >>

What you will be doing is entering the PCGS PF70 lottery with a ticket cost of $100. It's a heads they win and tails you lose game that I refuse to enter, good luck to all that do.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    You may not want to enter but I sure will!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Welcome MichiganFan!

How long have you been lurking out there?

It's more fun being out of the shadows!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they have not even got into "unlimited" order phase yet, or at least that was to be possibly considered after a week. If those numbers are hard (sales) the mint may have surprised most of us by getting their sellout.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    The Mint will lift the "one set per household limit" after today.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    FYI: I just posted a poll for all you 10th Anniversary APE buyers. I thought it would be interesting for us to see what's motivating members toward making their purchases.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image Oh boy...."In stock and reserved". Cancel button still there but not for long.

• << <i>image Oh boy...."In stock and reserved". Cancel button still there but not for long. >>

Ditto..My order from 12:13 on the first day, just became 'In stock and reserved', so I should have it in by next week! image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Same here ordered 4:15 cental time First day
  • Just checked my bank account and saw this

Pending Debit Card: US MINT -$1,954.90

Checked order status and its In stock and reserved

Order Date: 12/13/2007 at 12:05 AM
  • My CC also just took a hit to cover my order as well. Must be shipping soon.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Mine also, coins should be here tomorrow. If noone buys mine on ebay tonight, it will be off to PCGS tomorrow.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    All three of my sets are in stock and reserved. One set to NGC. One set to PCGS. Hopefully to match my other reverse proof gold and silver by both TPG's. It will be a crap shoot. One will remain sealed. The third one I ordered 3 days after they went on sale. It looks like they have had these minted. My guess is maybe 15-20K may be minted already. Perhaps all 30K by end of the year.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cancel button is gone.........
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Ditto on my 12:19 order...."in stock and reserved"...cancel box gone.

Put your order number from the Mint in "reference",
    Fill in the two yellow boxes, and you can track your shipment quicker than the Mint can inform you
    FedEx Alternate tracking link
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

• << <i>Ditto on my 12:19 order...."in stock and reserved"...cancel box gone.

Put your order number from the Mint in "reference",
    Fill in the two yellow boxes, and you can track your shipment quicker than the Mint can inform you
    FedEx Alternate tracking link >>

These should ship out on Wednesday for delivery on Thursday of next week image

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
  • Just for the record, my cancel button is gone as well now. Order # 27474XXX.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Now my canceled button went............"POOF"image.....So tomorrow(possible) or later. Better get your shipping boxes & slips ready for grading.
  • My cancel button is gone now too, how much is it to get them graded anyway?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now my canceled button went............"POOF"image.....So tomorrow(possible) or later. Better get your shipping boxes & slips ready for grading. >>

i am pretty sure i am going to open mine up and just try for a possible 70 on the ERP...or send the whole thing back. $2k buys a lot of enjoymentimage

• << <i>My cancel button is gone now too, how much is it to get them graded anyway? >>

<< <i>Because of the value of the individual coins, all submissions must be made under the Regular Service level or higher tiers. All First StrikeSM/10th Anniversary set submissions must be made on a separate submission form clearly marked with the request “10th Anniversary Set Designation.” Mint packaging will be returned upon request at a cost of $2 per set (except in cases where PCGS ships using the customer’s account number, i.e. Fed-Ex and other services). >>

The least expensive way to submit one set for the First Strike® - 10th anniversary insert would cost $109.95:

Regular submission tier x 2 = $60
    First Strike® designation x 2 = $20
    OGP return = $2
    Processing fee = $5
    Return shipping with up to $5,000 insurance = $22.95

Total for one set = $109.95

• << <i>

<< <i>My cancel button is gone now too, how much is it to get them graded anyway? >>

<< <i>Because of the value of the individual coins, all submissions must be made under the Regular Service level or higher tiers. All First StrikeSM/10th Anniversary set submissions must be made on a separate submission form clearly marked with the request “10th Anniversary Set Designation.” Mint packaging will be returned upon request at a cost of $2 per set (except in cases where PCGS ships using the customer’s account number, i.e. Fed-Ex and other services). >>

The least expensive way to submit one set for the First Strike® - 10th anniversary insert would cost $104.95:

Regular submission tier x 2 = $60
    First Strike® designation x 2 = $20
    OGP return = $2

Total for one set = $104.95 >>

Also add the $5 handling fee. image

• << <i>I believe there will be NO sellout. These coins will be available until July next year. The flippers are going to be toast. Just MHO. >>

I have multiple accounts and the mint is pulling out all the stops on cross referencing to cancel orders. They use to just cross refernce mailing address, now they seem to be doing zip codes with names and credit card numbers. If they Really had 30K sets they would not be trashing orders so quickly and ferverantly. You are wrong, IMO.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe there will be NO sellout. These coins will be available until July next year. The flippers are going to be toast. Just MHO. >>

I have multiple accounts and the mint is pulling out all the stops on cross referencing to cancel orders. They use to just cross refernce mailing address, now they seem to be doing zip codes with names and credit card numbers. If they Really had 30K sets they would not be trashing orders so quickly and ferverantly. You are wrong, IMO. >>

Seems the non -buyers of the Plat set are hoping the price goes down ..GOOD LUCK
  • Yep, that's right total for one set = $109.95. To grade just the Reverse Proof would be $67.95:

Regular submission tier x 1 = $30
    First Strike® designation x 1 = $10
    Processing fee = $5

Total for just Reverse Proof = $67.95

IMO, you are much better off sending the set in for grading since there is additional value to the First Strike® -10th anniversary Proof DCAM. The Proof should be the key to a perfect set and also will have a lower total poulation than the Reverse Proof since many sets will be opened and no longer qualify for the designation. Even in a 69 it will be sought after by those looking to put together a graded 10th anniversary set.

Went to cancel my order and the cancel box has disappeared.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>Went to cancel my order and the cancel box has disappeared. >>

If you really dont want them....you can refuse to sign for it, it goes back to the mint and you get charged nothing. Takes a few weeks for them to credit it back to you though.

<< <i>

<< <i>Went to cancel my order and the cancel box has disappeared. >>

If you really dont want them....you can refuse to sign for it, it goes back to the mint and you get charged nothing. Takes a few weeks for them to credit it back to you though. >>

I would never do that, prefer to pay the return postage.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    one set.. order #27470xxx.. "in stock and reserved".. cancel button gone.. Fedex "alternate Tracking" page returned no results.. i just checked my phone banking.. the charge was made some time this afternoon so either Fedex has the set in its possession and i'll get it tomorrow.. or Saturday since they deliver overnight Priority home delivery on Saturdays..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>one set.. order #27470xxx.. "in stock and reserved".. cancel button gone.. Fedex "alternate Tracking" page returned no results.. i just checked my phone banking.. the charge was made some time this afternoon so either Fedex has the set in its possession and i'll get it tomorrow.. or Saturday since they deliver overnight Priority home delivery on Saturdays.. >>

The Mint never ships FedEx overnight saturday delivery. If they ship on Friday, it would be delivered on Monday. Once the Mints creates the shipping label it will show under the alternate tracking method.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Official numbers so far........

From our friend David Harper......

Roughly half of the 10th anniversary platinum American Eagle two-coin set sold in the first couple of days they were available. The total was 14,682 out of a maximum of 30,000. Sales for the first week were limited to one set per household.

The 2007 annual uncirculated dollar coin set was added in the box at the lower right with a sales number of 31,778. This includes the 2007-W uncirculated silver Eagle.

Buffalo bullion gold coin numbers did not change this week, so perhaps it is now the end of the line for this 2007 piece as well as the 2007 American Eagle bullion coins.

Commemorative sales ended Dec. 14, so the numbers are probably close to ultimate total sales.

Numismaster Link
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered 12/18
    27539XXX in stock and reserved cancel box gone
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Santa brings me a new pair of underwear and socks, I'll be grateful image

HE>I

• << <i>If Santa brings me a new pair of underwear and socks, I'll be grateful image >>

He already brought your present early with that MS68 Cherrios Sac image

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's true, FLBuff...
    Santa delivered early with that Sacky... The problem is: the shock of what that coin did to me is precisely what caused me to need some new undies image

HE>I

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Commemorative sales ended Dec. 14, so the numbers are probably close to ultimate total sales.

2007 American Legacy Set less than 28,000. Scarce?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    Dolly Madison UNC seems to be a winner with 8,000 plus coins sold thus far.
    Flbuffalohunter you forgot to add shipping the coins to PCGS also. So more than $109
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    The pre-sales on ebay seem to be doing OK. Most are in the $2,200 range, but at least one set went for $2,900
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
    I think they have these all minted. I placed my third order 3 days later and its in stock and reserved. Repeat of the 1995 W 10th Anniversary set-they melted those that did not sell out the 50,000 minted. I think these had a cut off date in 95 though. If they lift the limits these may sell out by end of the year. If not I see these selling into 08. Nothing set in stone, just surmising.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file