Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Page turn...
  • Options
    The Plow Boy is one of the rarest of tobacco issues...I'd love to keep it...but trying to dangle it at someone with an E99 or E100 that I need image
    The others just arrived at the house as well.

• Options
  • Options
    Here are two recent purchases.

T206 Walter Johnson Portrait:

1913 Sporting News Postcard (M101-3) Ty Cobb:

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I wish there was an emoticon with a guy's jaw dropping to the floor. Great stuff, all.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Plow Boy is one of the rarest of tobacco issues...I'd love to keep it...but trying to dangle it at someone with an E99 or E100 that I need image
    The others just arrived at the house as well.

image >>

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>T206 Walter Johnson Portrait >>

Mmm, very nice. So, what gives it the 5?

Some new additions to my Rookie of the Year set...

1962 AL ROY - Tom Tresh (Yankees)
    Entered the league with high expectations, and seemed poised to deliver. 20 hrs, 93 rbi, with a respectable .286 avg. Added a go-ahead 3 run homer in game 5 of the World Series that year to his already impressive rookie season.

1971 NL ROY - Earl Williams (Braves)
    Enjoyed an impressive rookie sesason that included five 2-HR games, finishing the year with 33 hrs, 87 rbi, and a .260 avg.

While he won no awards, he was a Bay Area star during my youth..

Dave Stewart
    The last major leaguer to post 4 consecutive 20+ win seasons (1987 - 1990), and the ace of a potent Oakland team that went on to claim 3 consecutive pennants and 1 World Series. Also set the single-season balk record in 1988 with 16 balks.

He was the MVP of the 89 World Series for his masterful owning my SF Giants. He pitched a shutout in game 1, then after getting a week long break to rest (due to the quake) he trotted out to the mound in game 3 to continue administering the whipping. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    It might not amount to an official award, but anyone who saw them head-to-head knows Dave Stewart owned Roger Clemens.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Hey ! How bout a TTM from Charlie !

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a big edition for my Bert Jones Basic Set I recently started

1974 Topps Rookie PSA 9 (Pop 9)

very happy.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Just picked these up about an hour ago! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options

Hey, nice Bert Jones card. But I had to go out and refresh my memory on Bert Jones, and I came across this Lite Beer commercial with Jones and L.C. Greenwood.
  • Options
    Latest to arrive in the mail..solid E98 Hof'er

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely sick pre-war collections here.

Thanks for sharing, to all of y'all image

Edited to add: And post-war, too image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Very sweet haul, Tek!

Dave "Boo" Ferris... Bill "The Bull" Johnson... is it just me or are nicknames on vintage cards a big part of their charm for anyone else too?

Snorto~
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn fine cards packman!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Thanks. The Cobb postcard is my favorite. The scan does not do it justice. The Johnson has corner dings at the top left and bottom right. The bottom right is minor. I feel that the card is undergraded. Here are some more new cards:

• Options
    Packman, you are my new idol! GREAT stuff.

Rick
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice Ford. Are you working on the '53 Bowman Color set? It is one of my favorite modern sets.

Rick: Music related sets are an equal passion of mine. Here is an Italian sticker/card from 1969 of the Doors.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teknobaily- Those are some SWEEET Bowmans! image
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Lothar52---Sweet Ford!! I'm looking for one of those for my set alsoimage
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    hey pack

NICE CARDS MAN!

eBay? or show find...
  • Options
    Here is a postcard from 1909 showing a small town team. I really like the image.

• Options

Great postcard, packman. Isn't that Tom Waits in the front row holding the bat?
  • Options

<< <i>Rick: Music related sets are an equal passion of mine. Here is an Italian sticker/card from 1969 of the Doors. >>

I always like seeing this stuff when you post it. I'm amazed that they got Jim to smile.

<< <i>Great postcard, packman. Isn't that Tom Waits in the front row holding the bat? >>

• Options

<< <i>Here is a postcard from 1909 showing a small town team. I really like the image.

image >>

Some of those guys have some scary eyes! Cool picture...lots of character in it.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Here are some very rare Will Clarks I've picked up recently. I had no idea what these cards even looked like before they popped up on eBay. I believe they were included as inserts in Giants Magazine, the team issued ballpark magazine. As you can see, the 1992 All-Star is in full panel form. The cards are the same size, though the 1992 panel has been scaled down just a bit. Each card is slightly larger than standard size, making it just a bit frustrating to store and display.

For some reason, I can't get the 1992 to scan without the yellow streaks. I have that trouble with some cards, even though the 1991 scanned perfectly.

Anyway, I'm really thrilled (pun intended) to add these to my collection.

1991 Pacific Gas & Electric

1992 Pacific Gas & Electric All-Star

• Options

<< <i>Teknobaily- Those are some SWEEET Bowmans! image >>

Thanks a lot man! I'm looking to pick up a Jackie Robinson Rookie as my next one...

I'll be posting a "mail call scan" for that one FOR SURE!!!

• Options

<< <i>Very sweet haul, Tek!

Dave "Boo" Ferris... Bill "The Bull" Johnson... is it just me or are nicknames on vintage cards a big part of their charm for anyone else too?

Snorto~ >>

Absolutley! It adds to the effect of the time period... all the greats had nicknames that none of us will forget, like Hammerin Hank... they just dont have that stuff anymore!

• Options
    A new addition to my CYA rookie set...

Jim Perry, Twins - 1970 AL CY
    Older brother of Hall of Famer Gaylord, Jim continued with the momentum gained during his 20-6 1969 campaign and finished the 1970 season with 24 wins (3 way tie for league leader), 12 losses, 4 shutouts, 168 k's, and a 3.04 era.

• Options

<< <i>A new addition to my CYA rookie set... >>

That is a GORGEOUS card! Looks like a 10 to me!
  • Options
    Here are two more fairly rare Will Clarks. I've scanned each with the standard size card so you can see the size difference. I believe both were Wal-Mart exclusives and were packaged with some sort of collector kit, though I'm not really sure. I do know that both are very hard to find.

Sorry for the huge scans...I didn't realize they would be that big. Of course...they ARE jumbos, so maybe the large scans are appropriate...

The first is the 1993 Upper Deck Iooss Jumbo card. (my example is pretty rough, but I'll take it...)

This one is the 1995 Score Rules Jumbo. (could they have picked a worse picture to go with this terrible card design?)

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    The Thrill was p'od big time for the taking of the Iooss photo. Walter Iooss did a story about his experiences taking those and told the story about Will being upset.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Added 3 more Brooklyn Dodgers to my collection: Preacher Roe, Ralph Branca, and Billy Cox.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won this one:

Slowly collecting Trammell cards.
  • Options

<< <i>The Thrill was p'od big time for the taking of the Iooss photo. Walter Iooss did a story about his experiences taking those and told the story about Will being upset. >>

Really? I've always really liked that photo and the card. Any chance that article is still online? I'd love to read it.
  • Options
    cwazzy, what year/series are those?

Nice Preacher Roe!

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>cwazzy, what year/series are those?

Nice Preacher Roe! >>

Thanks, Alan! Those are 1953 Bowman Black & Whites. Kind of an ugly set overall but the Dodger uniforms help these. image Now if I could just pry one of those Preacher Roe rookies out of your hands I would be in business. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if its online or not. You may be able to search Iooss articles though and find it. I believe it may have appeared in the Beckett issue soon after those cards came out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>cwazzy, what year/series are those?

Nice Preacher Roe! >>

Thanks, Alan! Those are 1953 Bowman Black & Whites. Kind of an ugly set overall but the Dodger uniforms help these. image Now if I could just pry one of those Preacher Roe rookies out of your hands I would be in business. image

Chris >>

Ugly? NO! I think they're nice looking actually. maybe I'll make that my next set!

As for the Roe RC... I'll keep you in the loop...

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

My most recent Ebay purchase. Which will be on the way to PSA shortly.

Dig those threads Hendrix!!
  • Options

<< <i><< A new addition to my CYA rookie set... >>

That is a GORGEOUS card! Looks like a 10 to me! >>

It's got some subtle wear on all 4 corners, but it's certainly in the highest tier of the PSA 7 grade, it might even be high enough to enter 8 territory.

And now, some ROY additions...

Jim Lefebvre - 1965 NL ROY
    Jim finished the 65 season with 12 hrs, 69 rbi, and a .250 avg. His clutch hitting and solid glove work at 2nd base gave him the edge over 2nd place ROY candidate, Joe Morgan. Also made an apperance on the Batman tv show as one of the Riddler's henchmen... and during his first year as a coach for the Giants, punched out Tommy Lasorda during a fight.

Huston Street - 2005 AL ROY
    Took over the closer job in the 2nd half of May, after incumbent closer Octavio Dotel wore out his welcome in Oakland. Promptly blew his first save, but then settled into a groove of reliability and finished the season with 23 saves, 72 k's in 78.3 innings, and a 1.72 era. Also maintained a regular column on ESPN's website during the course of his rookie year.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing this stuff guys - the best!

Packman - sweet Snider and Reggie card!

BTW, I traded for that Snider when I was in Jr High - my cousin Ray took a '59 Teddy for it. I collected the NY centerfielders and didn't realize there was no Topps Mantle that year till the winter set in. No one in my neighborhood would give up their Duke - Ray lived in Boston - so it was an easy deal. It was just laying in a stack of cards for a few years when we discovered it. I only collected Brooklyn teams and NY centerfielders - a whole set was just too much trouble.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

All available for trade or sale

• Options
    got this card recently. This card was in an SGC holder earlier this year and went for about $130 more than what i bought it for. Variance is a researcher's enemy...but a buyer's friend (sometimes!)

• Options
    I love the T3s. The Johnson presents very nicely. I bet the colors just jump of the card. Here are some new additions to my Top 40 baseball card collection, 1951 Bowman Jets, Rockets and Spacemen set and the 1969 Anglo Yellow Submarine set.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Sweet 1951 Bowman Jets, Rockets and Spacemen...never seen those. Very cool.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>got this card recently. This card was in an SGC holder earlier this year and went for about $130 more than what i bought it for. Variance is a researcher's enemy...but a buyer's friend (sometimes!)

image >>

Beautiful
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Just won this one last night.... VERY EXCITING!!!

Solid EX HOF'er....