Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info, Marc! Sounds like a set that I will never be able to afford... But they are nice looking cards.

Chris >>

Can't really call it a set, as the checklist to this day is not fully defined ;-)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that Marc. I pm'd Chris a link to a site that would better explain (pretty much what you just wrote)...I was just too lazy image

And wow...you have a 70? would love to see that....whew.
  • Options
    a couple more additions...the e97's I thought were pretty cool getting the regular murray and then the proof of murray image

• Options
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up 6 new pieces of Topps art from Mike Gidwitz - former owner of the PSA 8 T206.

What's of interest? He sent me these and hasn't received my check yet! image

I picked up a total of 5 from the 77T set:

and this one from the 63T set:

These are the type of items I was talking about when it comes to framing - no matter how ya do it - if ya want good framing - it costs more than the item!

mike

Mike
  • Options
    These have come in over the past week or two.

UCF alum

No picture on ebay, I took the chance and it definitely paid off. Paid about $5 for something that normally goes for $15ish. #'d/50

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    berry nice E's up there!

the latest beaters;
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Some additions to my Rookie of the Year set....

Curt Blefary - 1965 AL RoY (.260 avg, 22 hrs, 70 rbi)
    Ted Sizemore - 1969 NL RoY (.271 avg, 160 hits; hit 3 three rbi triples)
    Carl Morton - 1970 NL RoY (18 wins, 3.60 era, 4 shutouts)
    Bob Horner - 1978 NL RoY (.266 avg, 23 hrs, 63 rbi)
    Marty Cordova - 1995 AL RoY (.277 avg, 24 hrs, 84 rbi)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Moylan auto image

I've always liked that Horner card. Like Eddie Murray, a rare late 70's star who got a solo picture for his rookie card. It's even funnier that the photo is from Candlestick, a place that (to quote Skip Caray), drove Bob to distraction.
  • Options
    Probably the hardest card to come by in this set image

• Options
    Neat card...horrible scan. 2006 Topps Heritage. Jerry Snyder...actual photo is Ed Fitzgerald. Hence..the "This isn't me" inscription on card.image
  • Options
    love that snyder auto. i picked up a red version up a few months ago and still love seeing it!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    Is that Jerry Snyder an intentional error on the part of Topps? Or an actual goof? I love how it's a certified issue *grin*

I know one of the Heritage set's perks is that Topps intentionally tries to replicate variations of years past (font variations, leaving out a card # if it wasn't in the original set, etc).
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    This card is from 2006 Topps heritage set. I also have the original 1957 card. Uncorrected error
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    My dad started picking up Autos, the 58 Hires is mine. Doing a team set of those.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Morgoth,

That Smith rookie is a stunner! Very nice!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Thanks that is one for my dad's collection. He had 8's forever and just decided to get an upgrade image. Dealer is a buddy too so it worked out nice. My 58 Hires Pirate team set now has 2 cards woo hoo.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>My 58 Hires Pirate team set now has 2 cards woo hoo. >>

Don't feel bad about that. I think I'm up to 14 or 15 cards in my 1954 Bowman set? image And most of them are commons.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Picked this up from tsalem for probably not much more than it cost him to have the card signed and slabbed.

I really like these Perez-Steele Hall of Fame postcards. They're a nice size to show off signatures.

Though I wish PSA had centered it better in the holder before slabbing. Thanks to the plastic insert, the card refuses to budge. I hurt myself wacking it on my leg (no, I wasn't wacking "that"!).

Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Just got a scanner and thought I would show a few of my cards.

• Options
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morogth: That 54 Ted Williams sure looks NM! Greeeeeaaaaatt Card!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Finally arrived at the house

• Options
    Mike hey thanks, it is going to be popped and sent in sometime. Even if it comes back in a 6 holder I will be ok. I love that set and that card. Now I need a 55 Ted to make up for the 7 we sold that got popped into an 8 by the dealer.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

My new t206 Ty Cobb PSA 5.

Looks much better in person or picture than the scan, I guess the white borders are hard to see with a white background.
  • Options
    Wow....terrific Cobb congrats! And yes...that is the type card that can look stunning if you scan it in with the black background image
  • Options

<< <i>Wow....terrific Cobb congrats! And yes...that is the type card that can look stunning if you scan it in with the black background image >>

Thanks!

Now to figure out what to use for a black background. image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    More Rookie-of-the-year Madness!
    1979 AL ROY = Alfredo Griffin

My oldest PSA 10. Got it for under $20 too!

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Awesome Cobb, ebay find?
  • Options
    Just snagged the second hardest card from the 1954 Topps baseball card set. This is a tough card I've been searching a long time for.image

• Options

<< <i>Awesome Cobb, ebay find? >>

Yes, I paid over book value but the eye appeal got me. I spent little over $2,000.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Cobb!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Here's a couple more from my Pirates collection. I still think the Clemente RC should be a PSA 8. The team card has Honus Wagner

• Options
    Terrific looking T200....always like them image
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow....terrific Cobb congrats! And yes...that is the type card that can look stunning if you scan it in with the black background image >>

Thanks!

Now to figure out what to use for a black background. image >>

I just leave the lid UP on the scanner
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    One of the nice things about traveling for work is that it can seem like Christmas when I get back home. Today I had almost 20 packages waiting for me... there are bubble mailers, packing peanuts, and bubble wrap strewn across the den.

First up, poppage of a different sort... from GAI. All of these were already certified by reputable companies, but I paid to get them GAI certified so all the certs match to add consistency to the display. With these in hand I am down to needing just 3 more autographed mini-helmets from the NFL top 25 all-time rushers... Fred Taylor, Warrick Dunn, and Curtis Martin.

First up, Sweetness:

The Diesel:

OJ... the one that isn't an evil pr1ck:

Tiki:

Barry, Mr. Sanders if you're nasty:

And lastly, Thurman Thomas:

Snorto~
  • Options
    Next up, some USFL & WFL stuff for my "other leagues" collection.:

Just need to pick up a WLAF official ball to complete my set:

Snorto~

• Options
    Opps... dupe post. Please see below.

Snorto~
  • Options
    That Riggo makes my mouth water image

Do you have a WFL ball, too? If you have one and an image handy, I'd love to see it.
  • Options
    Ok, last batch...

First an all-time classic NFL photo:

Second, I got this well under the going rate with a low buy-it-now on eBay:

Last, with my 1935 National Chicle set (PSA 1 - PSA 3) at a stand still, I decided to start on a well centered 1948 Leaf set (PSA 3 - PSA 5) and received my first 2 pick ups below. I threw in a PSA 10 Thomas Jones SP Authentic rookie just to piss off the vintage elitist sorts:

Hope everyone has an equally cool weekend!

Snorto~
  • Options
    We need a page turn....
  • Options
    That Cobb is amazing!!

Nice full borders, deep red background. Can't imagine any better for the grade. Excellent pick up.
  • Options

<< <i>First an all-time classic NFL photo >>

Which didn't get Pulitzer consideration because the guy's bonehead editor couldn't see what a great shot it was (the HBO documentary on this shot and several other classics, like the color image of Ali standing over Liston in the second fight, is superb.)

I slobbered over the Riggins. I'm simply in awe of the Johnny U helmet.
  • Options

<< <i>That Riggo makes my mouth water image

Do you have a WFL ball, too? If you have one and an image handy, I'd love to see it. >>

As a Cowboys fan, I spent way too much for that Riggins for my liking... but I guess he is not a very prolific signer.

As for the WFL ball... here you go!

Snorto~
  • Options
    John...kinda marches to the beat of his own drummer.

I remembered that ball being kind of light tan and having an unusual color for the stripes, but it was all a bit vague in my mind. That is a truly cool item. I've always thought collecting balls from the various leagues was a good idea for an offbeat sports-related hobby, but you're the first person I've seen who really does it.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Last card for my '55 set arrived. I likee.... image

• Options
    Arrived in mail yesterday . Gotta love all the tape and bandages

Collector of anything to do with the Dallas Cowboys * PSA cards from 60-07 *
  • Options
    Great Snider, Bob!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards