Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    For those not familiar with the Ed Delahanty story ... Quite interesting.

Delahanty died when he was swept over Niagara Falls in 1903. He was apparently kicked off a train by the train's conductor for being drunk and disorderly. The conductor said Delahanty was brandishing a straight razor and threatening passengers. After being kicked off the train, Delahanty started his way across the International Bridge (near Niagara Falls) and fell or jumped off the bridge (some accounts say Ed was yelling about death that night). Whether 'Big Ed' died from his plunge over the Falls, or drowned on the way to the Falls is uncertain.
  • Options
    Very nice N172s;

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I just got the first two below from bobsbbcards. He gave me a *very* good deal on the pewter and included the bronze for free. I included the aluminum on the end to show them together.

Thanks, Bob!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW .. great stuff up there guys!

A couple of new arrivals:

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    A couple of highlights (for me at least) that showed up this past week...

A couple of HOFers for my 1950 Bowman set (PSA 4 - PSA 6) that I picked up from a CU HOFer, Rube.

A fairly well centered Lujack for my 1948 Leaf set (PSA 3 - PSA 5).

And for a bit of modern "crap" a 2000 Bowman Chrome Ron Dayne RC auto numbered x/25.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Nice Fuhr Ladder7!! image
    PAVEL BURE "THE RUSSIAN ROCKET"

I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

Successful Transactions with: bigfische, BobaFett72, Karb
  • Options
    I was also jazzed to pick up the last single I needed to complete this 1972 NFLPA Vinyl Sticker set. I have no idea why, but I just really dig these weird bastids.

For those unfamiliar, these measure around 2 3/4 x 4 3/4" and were distributed via retail vending machines. The set includes a few HOFers as well as rookies from Staubach and Plunkett. I have included some of the highlights below since a lot of collectors have never encountered them.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

Snorto~
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was also jazzed to pick up the last single I needed to complete this 1972 NFLPA Vinyl Sticker set. I have no idea why, but I just really dig these weird bastids.

For those unfamiliar, these measure around 2 3/4 x 4 3/4" and were distributed via retail vending machines. The set includes a few HOFers as well as rookies from Staubach and Plunkett. I have included some of the highlights below since a lot of collectors have never encountered them.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

Snorto~ >>

Those are fantastic! Are they rare? Expensive? Either way, congrats on finishing the set...and thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snort

Wow - thanx for sharing those! And no - I've never heard of them or seen them before.

Are they hard to find?

I guess people would peel them and put them on a mirror or window?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Just got these today for my 1970 set. McDowell is tough to find!

Brian
  • Options
    Stone and AJW, no these are not that expensive. The 20 card set books at $150 in the Beckett annual and I spent about that much with shipping putting it together. Even there, you could probably come in less than that if you found a nice starter lot. There are two versions of the Butkus and Namath, each have a reverse photo version to the regular, but those are not factored into the set price and do not carry a premium over the regular versions. There are a couple of short prints but they are common players, so no huge premiums there either. If memory serves the most expensive singles were the Staubach and Namath at around $20 each is all. They aren't that rare and putting the set together for those so inclined should not be too difficult with just a bit of patience.

I really dig these kind of oddball items and they are not nearly as many options in football as baseball. It's nice to see these getting some love from someone other than myself. Maybe I will snap some photos of the Mattel Instant Replay sets I picked up tomorrow and keep the oddball theme going.

Snorto~
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing and RARE Ed Delahanty card! Really cool.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

That IS a sweet '55 Clemente, especially for the grade. Congrats!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I'll be cracking and resubing this card...I have NO idea why its only a 6...been looking at on and off to see if I can figure it out..
  • Options
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    1945-46 Felices Cuban Issue

Negro Star and Baseball HOFs:

Martin Dihigo

Ray Brown

Ray Dandridge

Ultimate chase card - ala the 1933 Goudey Lajoie: Napoleon Reyes
    Same first name - coincidence? I think not!
    Wondo

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    i cant get pics to show upimage tried 3 times now
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff guys!

MajorDanby, That Clemente is gorgeous. Tough centering on that card even in higher grades but that one is a beauty. image
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Got the card back signed today. Back into the cracked slab for now.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Can't let this thread drop too much farther....

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't let this thread drop too much farther....

image >>

That is a BLAZER! I cant believe its only a 7! Very Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>MajorDanby, That Clemente is gorgeous. Tough centering on that card even in higher grades but that one is a beauty. >>

thanks. I thought I paid a good price for it too. I've been scouring for a VG-EX version of it, but I saw the centering on this and couldn't resist.

Also, nice card rube. A real blazer!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A few new Award Winner additions...

1982 NL ROY - Steve Sax (LA)
    The speedy 2nd baseman enjoyed an impressive rookie season with a .282 avg, 180 hits, 49 stolen bases, and an All Star selection.

1987 NL ROY - Benito Santiago (SD)
    Also took home the Silver Slugger award at Catcher for his productivity with the bat, with 18 hrs, 79 rbi, and .300 avg.
    (Win the 2002 NLCS MVP award during the SF Giants' trip to World Series heart break)

1989 NL CYA - Mark Davis (SD)
    Took a year off from his mediocre career with a brilliant 1.85 era, 44 save, All-Star season.
    (more importantly, was part of the trade that put MVP Kevin Mitchell and Dave Dravecky into Giants uniforms)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Rube: Love those 50 Bows. Are you on the registry? That Albert card is GLEAMING!

Bobsbbcards: I cant believe that’s a 7. Very nice card man. Those are tough because of their borders, yes?

Digicat: I always love seeing your new additions.

• Options
    As many of you know, I am putting together a Pavel Bure player set. I found this card on eBay that I thought was "OK", but when it came in the mail today, I thought it was SPECTACULAR!! I really love this card and I would venture to say it is my favorite of all of the Bure's I have put together so far!! image The scan is a little on the poor side, but hey, what can you do...

PAVEL BURE "THE RUSSIAN ROCKET"

I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

Successful Transactions with: bigfische, BobaFett72, Karb
  • Options
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Just got this one in the mail today. My first PSA/DNA auto card.

• Options
    Cal Koonce is a very difficult card to find in a 9.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A new addition to my award winner sets..

Vida Blue - 1971 AL MVP & CYA
    24-8 record, 8 shutouts, 312 innings pitched, 301 strikeouts (vs 88 walks), and a 1.82 era. Wicked.

Gene Tenace - 1972 World Series MVP
    With Reggie Jackson injured, Gene Tenace stepped up and exploded for 9 RBI (accounting for more than half of Oakland's 16 runs), going 8 for 23, with 4 homers and a double.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Geordie,

I can't see your pic.

These are some nice cards, though!
  • Options
    bob...i hate you. ive been searching for that card in a solid grade for what seems like decades.

good buy!
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Couple back from PSA today. Pele rookie

Clemente Bazooka Panel

Both listed on Ebay right now.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Heres what I got yesterday in the mail.

and the big card

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

just got this great looking seaver for my 74 set
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

just got this 1974 seaver for my set
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geordie,

I can't see your pic.

These are some nice cards, though! >>

Josh - thanks for the heads up. Comcast apparently gave all their customers more storage space for their personal web pages, but since then, I've had challenges with keeping my images posted and showing up. I just uploaded all my graded Buters to Photobucket, so there shouldn't be any more issues from here on out. What a pain!

Geordie
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This completes my T205, T206 (-Wagner and Plank) and T207 Hall of Famer run image

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>This completes my T205, T206 (-Wagner and Plank) and T207 Hall of Famer run image

Steve >>

Congratulations man! That's a great accomplishment! Now if you only had a quarter million dollars lying around, you could finish it up!

• Options

<< <i>This completes my T205, T206 (-Wagner and Plank) and T207 Hall of Famer run image

Steve >>

CONGRATS that is great, start saving your pennys for the last two!!!!!!!!!
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

Steve >>

Wow! Quite an accomplishment, good for you! image
  • Options
    This came in the mail yesterday, another pick-up for my newly founded Vintage Football collection! image