Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hoping you guys might be able to help. I have a 1977 touchdown club Bill Willis auto and a 1975 fleer Immortal roll Ed Healey auto, both PSA/DNA certified without a card grade...just the auto authenticated.. I want to throw these on ebay but I'm wondering what they are worth. I already spent $40 authenticating them. I assume a lot of you have something similar so could you maybe say what you paid or if you have knowledge of value please share. A little help is appreciated. >>

You've come to the right thread!! I would first look on E-Bay and see if there are any others for sale. Another seller, KHW, sells a lot of PSA/DNA authenticated 1975 Fleer IR and 1977 Touchdown cards. I would imagine the Willis would sell in the $25 to $35 range and the Healey $50 to $75....somewhere around there. Nice cards, do you have any more of the 1977 Touchdown cards?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Actually, now that I think of it, PSA may not consider the GLA's "cards" but rather postcards or something else. I'll try and call this week to clarify.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • The only other one I have is a '91 ENOR Ace Parker auto but it hasn't been authenticated yet.
    I finally paid off the Greasy Neale earlier this week and just received it!! The top signature is the actual autograph - the bottom is a facimile. Another one down!

Greg M.

Earle Greasy Neale

References:
  • Nice!
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Another late comer to this awesome thread. I have been trying to keep up with everything and now find a bit of time to hopefully add to this...

While I do not have any cards registered as of yet, I do have some cards and photo's of some older NFL and College HOF'ers you might like to check out. I have been working on the 1977 Touchdown set....only have about 12 so far. Working on the tougher ones in the next few months. I have a few up on my website, with more to come. I hope to contribute to this thread as time and knowledge permits me to!

Jim

http://www.freewebs.com/tnspro/nflautographs3x5s.htm

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Greg,

You produced a 'weighting' list for the autos back from 2006. Do you have an updated list?

Todd
  • UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Greg, I was just looking at your set and saw that your Bob St. Clair was TTM.

Do you still have the address? Did you send $$$? If so how much?

Thanks in advance
    Larry
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi everyone,

Another late comer to this awesome thread. I have been trying to keep up with everything and now find a bit of time to hopefully add to this...

While I do not have any cards registered as of yet, I do have some cards and photo's of some older NFL and College HOF'ers you might like to check out. I have been working on the 1977 Touchdown set....only have about 12 so far. Working on the tougher ones in the next few months. I have a few up on my website, with more to come. I hope to contribute to this thread as time and knowledge permits me to!

Jim

http://www.freewebs.com/tnspro/nflautographs3x5s.htm >>

Hi Jim,

Welcome! Great looking website, you have a great looking collection! If you have a chance you should check out ebay user "hull9howe999." Jack has a huge collection of 77 Touchdown cards. He has really helped me out with some of the those tough HOFers.

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

<< <i>Hi everyone,

Jim

http://www.freewebs.com/tnspro/nflautographs3x5s.htm >>

Jim,

Great site - thanks for sharing!! I've just started collecting postcards...I now include a postcard in every TTM that I send out...so far, I've gotten 10 or so back. I also love the CF HOF auto's...very cool. Once again, I've just stated collecting autographs of Heisman winners. I'm currently around 70% complete w/ auto'd cards. What's nice is that you can complete the entire Heisman set except for 1 or 2 players (Kinnick and possibly Davis).

Welcome to the thread. By the way, Reese is right about Jack Wallin...great guy (who I've met in person 5 or 6 times) and who has multiple complete sets if 1977 Touchdown. I have most of the set - including autographed cards of all the non-HOFers. Now I need auto'd cards of several of the HOFers who I already have auto'd 1975 Fleer cards of. Very neat.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Greg, I was just looking at your set and saw that your Bob St. Clair was TTM.

Do you still have the address? Did you send $$$? If so how much?

Thanks in advance
    Larry >>

Larry,

Good to hear from you. Bob St. Clair is very hot and cold. I've had him sign for free and other times he has returned and asked for $10 per card (which I did on one occasion and he signed promptly). I would suggest including the $ - include $10 and ask that he sign 2 cards. The worst he will do is return 1 unsigned. His addy is:

3312 Parker Hill Rd Santa Rosa Ca 95404

Good luck!

Greg M.

References:
    Todd,

E-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com and I'll reply w/ the weighting.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Reese,

Did you pick up anything nice at the National? Did you find the Unitas auto you were looking for?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Hey Greg,

Sorry, I tried my best to find the autos on the list in Cleveland. but came up empty handed. I only saw four cuts at the show- an 02 SP Legendary Cuts Grange-$1500!!!, 2 of Unitas, and a F/X Cuts Badgro for $200.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>Reese,

Did you pick up anything nice at the National? Did you find the Unitas auto you were looking for?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I actually didn't find anything I was looking for. I ended up spending $200 total, picked up another Rozelle (Hopefully not an autopen), and some 89 Swell autos of Ray Flaherty, George Connor, Dick Lane to upgrade the ones I had, and a box of 2006 SP Legendary Cuts baseball. I was bummed I couldn't find a Unitas I liked, I'll just have to wait until I find one on ebay. It seemed like everything I liked was insanely overpriced.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Thanks guys!

Greg M. where do you get your postcards? Do you make them or are you finding some of the old 'exhibits' that were made?

I have purchased from "hull9howe999" and have nothing but praise for him. I only need a few more of the ones he has....after that...any ideas where to turn? (for the 77 touchdown cards).

Anyone have a Hunk Anderson for sale or trade? Well, I guess I would be interested in any extra's anyone has of anyone...i am up to 14 now! Only 46 more!

Jim

Does anyone know the book value of a complete autographed set of the 1977 Touchdown football cards? Just wondering?

I would assume it would be close to 1,500?

Jim

<< <i>Thanks guys!

Greg M. where do you get your postcards? Do you make them or are you finding some of the old 'exhibits' that were made?

I have purchased from "hull9howe999" and have nothing but praise for him. I only need a few more of the ones he has....after that...any ideas where to turn? (for the 77 touchdown cards).

Anyone have a Hunk Anderson for sale or trade? Well, I guess I would be interested in any extra's anyone has of anyone...i am up to 14 now! Only 46 more!

Jim >>

Jack has several complete sets of the TD cards...so he should have everyone that you need. I have a Hunk Anderson, but it's not for sale. I think that Anderson is one of the tougher autographs in the set....I bought mine from a NJ dealer at the Sun Times show in Chicago last fall. Did you see that there is a 1977 TD set on the registry? I have my graded cards out there...although, I don't have 30 or so graded yet. One of these days!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Does anyone know the book value of a complete autographed set of the 1977 Touchdown football cards? Just wondering?

I would assume it would be close to 1,500?

Jim >>

Jim,

That's tough - probably around $2000 to $2500 would be my guess. You have Leemans and Friedman which are $250 to $350 each plus a slew of $50 to $150 cards. It's a relatively unknown and underappreciated set.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Just got done talking to Knuckles who has agreed to create cards for me of George Trafton and Link Lyman! I am so excited I can't wait to see what he comes up with!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Hey guys,

I came across this auction for a Luckman auto, but it looks strange to me. It has the words "Leaf Experience" stamped on the front of a 97 Leaf Reproduction??? The one I have and the ones I have come across do not say that. Anyone know what this is?

Sid Luckman
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • I have an extra Football Immortals Don Hutson for sale if anyone is interested. $75 delivered. Scan is below. It's a beauty signed in blue pen.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I need advice on a card. I have the below autographed 3x5 of packers hof arnie herber. I know an autographed card of him will never happen for me, I couldn't pull the trigger if I saw one for sale.

Since the 3x5 isn't attractive, anybody see anything wrong with having one of Garrett's beautifl cards made with this thing? As soon as I find it I want to also have a johnny blood mcnally card made, I have a 3x5 of his also and that one is less attractive than this one.

Opinions please image

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i would definetly go for it. with the tape of the index card the value it would bring is rather low. i have thought about getting some made as well. but for me the argument is whether PSA will take them for the set. I dont recall if we have ever figured that one out. PSA will authenticate the auto in a self made card though. So that would be the key for you Jim.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Thanks Jay - I think for me the value would be that I couldn't ruin it or lose it. I would have a great looking card made by knuckles, slabbed authentic, a rare auto of a packers hof player, for under $300. I paid $128 for the index card and I think that was a good buy. They're kind of uncommon.

Thanks again for confirming my decision image

jim
    Like I said the McNally isn't easy on the eyes either. It can't make a gorgeous card but if Knuckes does his magic it'll look a lot better than a 75 fleer or a signature cut card! I think Howie was hoping Blood would sign on the unlined side. Maybe Blood was smarter than that and figured he was getting them signed for resale image

Jim,

Very sweet index cards of Herber and McNally. Knuckles is working on a Link Lyman and George Trafton for me. I'll be sure post some pics he gets finished! Does anyone have index cards of some the more difficult HOF'ers for sale. I am looking for Paddy Driscoll, Turk Edwards, Guy Chamberlin, Len Ford or Steve Owen?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>Jim,

Very sweet index cards of Herber and McNally. Knuckles is working on a Link Lyman and George Trafton for me. I'll be sure post some pics he gets finished! Does anyone have index cards of some the more difficult HOF'ers for sale. I am looking for Paddy Driscoll, Turk Edwards, Guy Chamberlin, Len Ford or Steve Owen? >>

Thanks!

I just got an email from a board member oldschoolpackers, he included a scan of an autographed postcard, curly lambeau. He also had a mcnally and a herber, his mcnally is spoiled by also being signed by red grange. image

has a chamberlain for $850 , a turk edwards for $395. Not sure that's what you're thinking but they're out there. He's high on prices but if he has the only one you can find and you "need" it ...

Richard Simon also catches some nice auto index cards now and then. Not sure what he has but I'll email and ask if he has anything you're looking for.
    Thanks Jim,

I actually asked Albersheims about the Edwards, but he said it was sold. The only other Edwards I've seen recently was at the National, and the guy wanted $695 for an ungraded index card. I haven't seen one on ebay for some time now, so I am really not that sure what they typically sell for.

He did send me a scan of the Chamberlin, which is absolutely beautiful. The only problem I have is that their was a Chamberlin signed page on ebay about a month or so ago, and if I remember correctly it ended in the $400-$500 range, so $850 seems kind of high. Again, I don't see them very often and really can't judge the price range they should fall in.

I would love to own a Curly Lambeau autograph someday, but they are out of my price range right now. I do have a McNally signed 75 Fleer Immortal card and the 2002 Legendary Cuts card of Arnie Herber. They are definately two of my favorite cards in my collection!

Thanks for emailing Richard Simon. I don't think I have bought anything from him before, but I know he has a great reputation in the hobby!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Jim,

I have happened upon his webpage before. His list is impressive. I should ask for a few scans.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I shared this scan with Jim yesterday. He said I should share it here. This is my prize autograph in my collection. Curly Lambeau in fountain pen on a postcard. I will be having it professionally framed and matted with an 8x10 photo of Curly.
    that is sweet!!! you sure know how to make fellow fans jealous. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>Just got done talking to Knuckles who has agreed to create cards for me of George Trafton and Link Lyman! I am so excited I can't wait to see what he comes up with! >>

Reese,

I've been thinking about asking Knuckles to make a few cards for me also. I really wish that PSA would allow us to add such cards to the registry. Should we start a petition?

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Hey guys,

I came across this auction for a Luckman auto, but it looks strange to me. It has the words "Leaf Experience" stamped on the front of a 97 Leaf Reproduction??? The one I have and the ones I have come across do not say that. Anyone know what this is?

Sid Luckman >>

No idea - I have a snipe set for the auction. I looked in my Tuff Stuff master card guide and it doesn't mention anything about a "Leaf Experience" subset or parallel. Strange.

Greg M.

References:
    Sid Luckman >>

No idea - I have a snipe set for the auction. I looked in my Tuff Stuff master card guide and it doesn't mention anything about a "Leaf Experience" subset or parallel. Strange.

Greg M.

Greg,

I haven't seen one like that either. The signature looks good compared to the one I have, and it is completely identical other than that stamp. I know you've been looking for that card, and I wouldn't be broadcasting it on the boards, but it doesn't look right to me.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Reese,

I've been thinking about asking Knuckles to make a few cards for me also. I really wish that PSA would allow us to add such cards to the registry. Should we start a petition?

Greg M.
    >>

I would sign that petition. I don't know how else we could complete this set? If they let us add them, we also would not have to remove anyone we have deemed impossible. There would still be a handful of players, admin, and coaches that I've never even seen, but it would at least get us closer.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>I need advice on a card. I have the below autographed 3x5 of packers hof arnie herber. I know an autographed card of him will never happen for me, I couldn't pull the trigger if I saw one for sale.

Since the 3x5 isn't attractive, anybody see anything wrong with having one of Garrett's beautifl cards made with this thing? As soon as I find it I want to also have a johnny blood mcnally card made, I have a 3x5 of his also and that one is less attractive than this one.

Opinions please image

image >>

Jim,

The autograph is beautiful - it would probably grade an 8 or so....based solely on the quality of the autograph. If you're going to have something made into one of Knuckles custom cards, you're better off buying an "ugly" piece like this (where the autograph is nice but the medium is beat up) because you'll pay a lot less and you won't be destroying a piece that's nice in its own right.

How much is the index card?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Thanks Jay - I think for me the value would be that I couldn't ruin it or lose it. I would have a great looking card made by knuckles, slabbed authentic, a rare auto of a packers hof player, for under $300. I paid $128 for the index card and I think that was a good buy. They're kind of uncommon.

Thanks again for confirming my decision image

jim >>

Jim,

$128 is a good price for the Herber....very nice. He is very tough to find...

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Like I said the McNally isn't easy on the eyes either. It can't make a gorgeous card but if Knuckes does his magic it'll look a lot better than a 75 fleer or a signature cut card! I think Howie was hoping Blood would sign on the unlined side. Maybe Blood was smarter than that and figured he was getting them signed for resale image

image >>

The McNally is very nice... Jack Wallin has several 1975 Fleer McNally's left...which look nice because McNally always signed on the back along the right border.

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim,

Very sweet index cards of Herber and McNally. Knuckles is working on a Link Lyman and George Trafton for me. I'll be sure post some pics he gets finished! Does anyone have index cards of some the more difficult HOF'ers for sale. I am looking for Paddy Driscoll, Turk Edwards, Guy Chamberlin, Len Ford or Steve Owen? >>

Thanks!

I just got an email from a board member oldschoolpackers, he included a scan of an autographed postcard, curly lambeau. He also had a mcnally and a herber, his mcnally is spoiled by also being signed by red grange. image

has a chamberlain for $850 , a turk edwards for $395. Not sure that's what you're thinking but they're out there. He's high on prices but if he has the only one you can find and you "need" it ...

Richard Simon also catches some nice auto index cards now and then. Not sure what he has but I'll email and ask if he has anything you're looking for. >>

Albersheims hasn't updated their site in several years. I bought the Earle Greasy Neale from Kevin Keating, who also authenticates autographs for the FBI (fraud cases?). I'm never heard of Richard Simon...does he have a site?

BTW, It's hard to say whether $850 is fair or not for the Chamberlain. My philosophy is that I'd rather overpay for rare/tough HOFers that have to look another 5 or 10 years before finding another for sale.

Regards,

Greg M.

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>I shared this scan with Jim yesterday. He said I should share it here. This is my prize autograph in my collection. Curly Lambeau in fountain pen on a postcard. I will be having it professionally framed and matted with an 8x10 photo of Curly. >>

The Lambeau is very SWEET...thanks for sharing. I'm still surprised how tough Lambeau is to find. I'm equally shocked that a cut autograph has never been made of him.

Greg M.

References:
    Has anyone ever seen an autographed item of Fritz Pollard? Just curious because I have never seen ANYTHING of his signed...

Greg M.

References:
    I FINALLY added an Al Davis!! I paid $319 from KHW and the card is a 1992 Proline (not stamped) signed in black sharpie and is already slabbed. With Al Davis out of the way, I have an autographed card of every living HOFer and 218 of the 241 total. The remaining auto'd cards I need are:

I will offer a finders fee for any of the cards I need.

Charles Bidwell
    Joe Carr
    Guy Chamberlin
    Jimmy Conzelman
    Paddy Driscoll
    Turk Edwards
    Len Ford
    Joe Guyon
    Wilbur Pete Henry
    Arnie Herber
    Bill Hewitt
    Henry Jordan
    Walt Kiesling
    Curly Lambeau
    Sid Luckman
    Link Lyman
    Tim Mara
    George Preston Marshall
    Steve Owen
    Fritz Pollard
    Hugh "Shorty" Ray
    Jim Thorpe
    George Trafton

References:
    Check out auction 110157144904 on E-Bay. It's is Len Ford's 1953 FB contract that is signed by him, Paul Brown and Bert Bell....incredible!! Ford's salary in 1953 was $9500....amazing!

Greg M.

References:
    There arent too many that would be in the impossible section. for example the 02 SP legendary cuts has Herber, Ford, Layne, Lyman, Christansen, Waterfield, Owens, Edwards. Theres a Tunnell in another Legendary Cuts set as well. So many are out there. There are Thorpe cuts out there as well.

They also all auto on team cards or team related cards to be inculded on the Regisrty. So it might be tough to have them removed.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay,

Of the 23 I need, I believe 9 are obtainable and 14 are impossible to find on a card.

Possible:

Jimmy Conzelman
    Turk Edwards
    Len Ford
    Arnie Herber
    Henry Jordan
    Sid Luckman
    Link Lyman
    Steve Owen
    Jim Thorpe

Impossible:

Charles Bidwell
    Joe Carr
    Guy Chamberlin
    Paddy Driscoll
    Joe Guyon
    Wilbur Pete Henry
    Bill Hewitt
    Walt Kiesling
    Curly Lambeau
    Tim Mara
    George Preston Marshall
    Fritz Pollard
    Hugh "Shorty" Ray
    George Trafton

At one point, I thought that I saw a Joe Guyon cut auto but I'm not sure that one was ever created.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

I'm never heard of Richard Simon...does he have a site?

Here's his site and it's some interesting reading. I trust the guy's word on autos and once in a while he comes up with some pretty rare stuff at reasonable prices. I've bought plenty from him including my blood mcnally and I've never been disappointed. If you email him and tell him what you're looking for he can sometimes find it. Definitely worth the time to ask him.

<< <i>I'm never heard of Richard Simon...does he have a site?

Here's his site and it's some interesting reading. I trust the guy's word on autos and once in a while he comes up with some pretty rare stuff at reasonable prices. I've bought plenty from him including my blood mcnally and I've never been disappointed. If you email him and tell him what you're looking for he can sometimes find it. Definitely worth the time to ask him. >>

Thank you very much! Did you get my PM?

Greg M.

References:
  • UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Greg did you see this auction? Henry Jordans name was spelled wrong so it didn't come up in my searches. I also could have used the Wood, Gregg, and Davis auto's. Oh well I'll keep looking.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
    Ullr,

Thank you VERY much for posting the link...I didn't see that auction and I look for Henry Jordan at least 5 times a week!!! Arghhh..... It's hard to see the autograph but that card alone, if real, is worth 2 x what the buyer paid.

Have you picked anything nice up recently?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    My latest pickup.... I am really happy about finally getting this!

The card reads: To my friend David: I dedicate this athletic memento. Played on Carlisle Indian School team to two championship teams with Jim Thorpe. Made the All American two years 1912-13. And under John W. Heisman two years at Ga. Tech 1917 & 18. I am now 75 years old. Have two children. My son is a doctor & my daughter is a nurse. They both have five children each. And they are ten Little Indians too.

O-Gee-Chidah- Joe Guyon

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333