Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    BTW, I finally figured out how to upload the scans of the large HOF Legends Postcards. These cards are great and the autos are crisp and clean. You can check out the scans on my set Fabfranks HOF Auto set
    My HOF legend postcards are Lou Creekmur, Frank Gatski, Sid Gillman, Dante Lavelli, Charlie Trippi, and Bill Willis
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    I'm looking to sell a 2002 SP Legendary Cuts Auto of Ken Strong if anyone is interested, I will take any reasonable offersKen Strong Ebay
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    here are some recent additions to my HOF auto and future HOF auto sets.

Cris Carter

Bill Shaw

Dave Wilcox

Bethea
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Nice cards Jay. You outbid me on the Shaw (actually my snipe didn't go off), but I was able to get another one right after that for a few bucks less. The Wilcox looks nice too.
    Congrats.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well i also had snipe set as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I finally got some scans up of my cards on the registry. If anyone has a chance, please check them out!

Reese3333 HOF Auto Set
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Also, finally picked up a Lombardi. Can't wait to get this one!

Vince Lombardi Cut
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>here are some recent additions to my HOF auto and future HOF auto sets.

Cris Carter

Bill Shaw

Dave Wilcox

Bethea >>

Jay,

Great job on the cards you picked up - congrats! I love the Topps HOF series autographs although they tend to be expensive. Bethea is somewhat tough to find....he doesn't sign a lot. You're getting closer and closer. Soon you'll be where I'm at - with about 25 left which are impossible to find!!

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I finally figured out how to upload the scans of the large HOF Legends Postcards. These cards are great and the autos are crisp and clean. You can check out the scans on my set Fabfranks HOF Auto set
    My HOF legend postcards are Lou Creekmur, Frank Gatski, Sid Gillman, Dante Lavelli, Charlie Trippi, and Bill Willis >>

Frank,

Thanks for posting the scans. Are you going to collect the Ron Mix set...or just picking up autographs of players you need?

I have around 110 of the Goal Line cards autographs (out of 180 possible) and have thought about getting them slabbed.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I finally got some scans up of my cards on the registry. If anyone has a chance, please check them out!

Reese3333 HOF Auto Set >>

Reese,

Thanks for posting the scans...you have a nice start to your registry set. Also, congrats on the Lombardi - you held out for a nice copy of that card.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    What do you guys think about my suggestion to Joe Orlando:

3. Off topic, but I'd really like if PSA would follow BGS's lead (I can't believe I'm saying this...) and start assigning a dual grade for autographed cards...one for the card condition and the second for the autograph condition. In addition, the grade to be used in the HOF autograph registry set should be the autograph's grade...not the card's grade. Otherwise, the GPA is skewed as it is no reflection of the quality of the autograph (which is what really matters when collecting autographs). On the other hand, you could compute the GPA on a hybrid basis based upon both the condition of the card and condition of the autograph. That would be interesting.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>UD made 9 of these

"From my experience, PSA/DNA is not authenticating ANY Luckman autographs."
    They slabbed mine
    image >>

Ullr,

What I should have said was that PSA/DNA is not authenticating any non-certified (Legendary cuts or 1997 Leaf reprint) Luckman autographs. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg- I'm not going to build the Goal Line Art set. I'll add some of the auto's until I can find another auto of the player on a card that would grade 7 or better.
    I think the cards are really nice, but I don't think PSA grades the card. I've only seen "Authentic" grades.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even know a thread like this existed, but then I'm a little slow at times. Just wanted to share something I picked up the other day. I'm not an auto collector, but I am a 60's Bills collector. I recently picked up 7 pics of Bills form a Super Market give away. The lady that was selling wasn't sure if the auto's were real. 6 of the autos were real and 1 (Kemp) was not. Here's a Shaw from 63 or 64. BTW I picked up each for $1 a piece. Joe

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Joe,

Thanks for sharing...I love the old promotional signed photographs. What's funny is that not many people followed the Billy back then outside of Buffalo. Billy Shaw certainly wasn't a household name.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Greg- I'm not going to build the Goal Line Art set. I'll add some of the auto's until I can find another auto of the player on a card that would grade 7 or better.
    I think the cards are really nice, but I don't think PSA grades the card. I've only seen "Authentic" grades. >>

Frank,

I'm not sure if PSA grades the Goal Line Cards....I imagine they do. There is no difference between a Goal Line card and a supersized card which PSA grades. I'm thinking of getting mine slabbed...but I really don't care about the card grade...just the autograph grade.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    There is no difference between a Goal Line card and a supersized card which PSA grades. I'm thinking of getting mine slabbed...but I really don't care about the card grade...just the autograph grade.

I would say that it's imperative that you get those cards slabbed. It's worth it just to protect the card.
    I think they are awesome. The cards are gorgeous and the autos are crisp and clean. Will you submit them with our next group sub?
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg, You are right about Shaw not being a familar name. But in our household he was and we knew from the first time we saw him he was gonna be a good one. As time went on the words HOFer were apparent. Glad you enjoyed it. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    I sent a TTM request to Gene Hickerson and just received a note from his wife that he is very sick. That's too bad....I hope that he'll pull through.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I just added my Bert Bell and am sitting a hair under 90%. I just can't seem to break the 90% barrier!!!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>There is no difference between a Goal Line card and a supersized card which PSA grades. I'm thinking of getting mine slabbed...but I really don't care about the card grade...just the autograph grade.

I would say that it's imperative that you get those cards slabbed. It's worth it just to protect the card.
    I think they are awesome. The cards are gorgeous and the autos are crisp and clean. Will you submit them with our next group sub? >>

Frank,

Good point - I'd love to have them slabbed but doing so will cost at least $2k. Yikes!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Good point - I'd love to have them slabbed but doing so will cost at least $2k. Yikes!

At least get the deceased members and the nicer autographs done first.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they are awesome. The cards are gorgeous and the autos are crisp and clean. Will you submit them with our next group sub? >>

will you all be doing another soon?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they are awesome. The cards are gorgeous and the autos are crisp and clean. Will you submit them with our next group sub? >>

will you all be doing another soon? >>

We typically send in one or two orders a year. Are you interested in joining our submission group?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I FINALLY picked up a George Young auto'd card...and for less than $20 to boot. He has a good chance of being inducted within the next three years.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Very nice Greg. Congrats! (P.S> I need one of thoseimage)
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

We typically send in one or two orders a year. Are you interested in joining our submission group?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I am interested. Do I need to be a Collectors Club member?

Feel free to PM me.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Just updated my HOF Auto set with some nice Goal Line Art Auto cards. These cards are huge and the color and autographs are great. The "Authentic" rating only gives them a weight of 1 for registry points, but the autos were so sharp I didn't mind adding them. You can click on the link to check out the scans.Fabfranks HOF Auto set
  • Options
    VERY NICE FRANK image I really like the 97 Upper deck legends ,great Auto cards.

I have thought more then once on trying to put the set together any insight for me on them ?
  • Options
    Great looking set Frank! I love the Goal Line cards!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    VERY NICE FRANK I really like the 97 Upper deck legends ,great Auto cards.

Hey Art. This set is another labor of love for me. Unlike my complete 10 1989 Score football set, the 97 Legends auto cards do have good value. The only setback is that they have to be graded through PSA/DNA rather than through the regular PSA service. That alone adds $10-$15 per card to the cost.
    Most of the auto cards are readily available. There are some tough ones (A. Shell, M. Ditka, J. Montana, J. Kemp) that initially come to mind. There are also some VERY tough ones (B. Starr, J. Namath, W. Payton, J. Unitas) are just a few. There are also a few idiosyncracies to the set. For instance, there are a few exchange cards that were never signed (S. Luckman, W. Wood, R. Francis). Also, M. Webster never returned his cards to Upper Deck, but some have made their way onto Ebay. The story is that Webster was homeless and destitude and used the cards to pay debts or just gave some away.
    You can check out my set, as well as some scans.
    Fabfranks 1997 Upper Deck Legends Autographs
  • Options
    What a great day! After two years of searching, I've finally found a Jim Finks auto!

Jim Finks 51 Bowman
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Congrats on the Finks card Reese. I missed that one. Darn!image
  • Options

<< <i>What a great day! After two years of searching, I've finally found a Jim Finks auto!

Jim Finks 51 Bowman >>

Beautiful card Reese - and nice autograph also! I know that you've been looking for that card for a while. It's amazing because I paid $250 for mine 1 1/2 ago and the autograph has almost doubled. Finks is a deceptively tough autograph to find and you found a very nice one for your set.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I am interested. Do I need to be a Collectors Club member?

Feel free to PM me. >>

PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Just updated my HOF Auto set with some nice Goal Line Art Auto cards. These cards are huge and the color and autographs are great. The "Authentic" rating only gives them a weight of 1 for registry points, but the autos were so sharp I didn't mind adding them. You can click on the link to check out the scans.Fabfranks HOF Auto set >>

Frank,

Very nice Goal Line art cards....very sweet. I'm slowly building the Goal Line Art set and have around 60% of the possible cards signed. It takes FOREVER to build the set and have gotten many as TTM requests. As a matter of fact, I just received an Earl Campbell last week that was a TTM request.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>VERY NICE FRANK I really like the 97 Upper deck legends ,great Auto cards.

Hey Art. This set is another labor of love for me. Unlike my complete 10 1989 Score football set, the 97 Legends auto cards do have good value. The only setback is that they have to be graded through PSA/DNA rather than through the regular PSA service. That alone adds $10-$15 per card to the cost.
    Most of the auto cards are readily available. There are some tough ones (A. Shell, M. Ditka, J. Montana, J. Kemp) that initially come to mind. There are also some VERY tough ones (B. Starr, J. Namath, W. Payton, J. Unitas) are just a few. There are also a few idiosyncracies to the set. For instance, there are a few exchange cards that were never signed (S. Luckman, W. Wood, R. Francis). Also, M. Webster never returned his cards to Upper Deck, but some have made their way onto Ebay. The story is that Webster was homeless and destitude and used the cards to pay debts or just gave some away.
    Fabfranks 1997 Upper Deck Legends Autographs >>

Frank,

Your 1997 Legends set will be the set of the year one of these days. It is truly one of the greatest sets ever made. It will break the bank though...and many of the tougher cards (Unitas, Payton, Namath, Starr) are topping $1500 to $2k lately. Crazy!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    and many of the tougher cards (Unitas, Payton, Namath, Starr) are topping $1500

I guess I'm lucky in that I only need 3 out of those 4image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>

<< <i>Just updated my HOF Auto set with some nice Goal Line Art Auto cards. These cards are huge and the color and autographs are great. The "Authentic" rating only gives them a weight of 1 for registry points, but the autos were so sharp I didn't mind adding them. You can click on the link to check out the scans.Fabfranks HOF Auto set >>

Frank,

Very nice Goal Line art cards....very sweet. I'm slowly building the Goal Line Art set and have around 60% of the possible cards signed. It takes FOREVER to build the set and have gotten many as TTM requests. As a matter of fact, I just received an Earl Campbell last week that was a TTM request.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I have a number of Campbell's sigs and, honestly, it saddens me to look at the newer ones and see how he obviously struggles. It hits me hard to see a man who appeared to be just this side of invincible during his playing days struggle merely to sign his name now. He was an amazing back and remains an amazing human being, always humble and forever grateful for the game he loved so much in spite the things it took from him in the end.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Frank,

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I have a number of Campbell's sigs and, honestly, it saddens me to look at the newer ones and see how he obviously struggles. It hits me hard to see a man who appeared to be just this side of invincible during his playing days struggle merely to sign his name now. He was an amazing back and remains an amazing human being, always humble and forever grateful for the game he loved so much in spite the things it took from him in the end.

Snorto~ >>

Snorto,

I agree w/ you 100%. What's amazing, is that he is arguably the biggest "star" HOFer that signs for free via the mail. He sent back a nice note and signed my goal line art card w/ great care and added "Peace and Love". A true class act.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What a great day! After two years of searching, I've finally found a Jim Finks auto!

Jim Finks 51 Bowman >>

Beautiful card Reese - and nice autograph also! I know that you've been looking for that card for a while. It's amazing because I paid $250 for mine 1 1/2 ago and the autograph has almost doubled. Finks is a deceptively tough autograph to find and you found a very nice one for your set.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Thanks Greg and Frank,

I appreciate the kind words. Greg, $250 looks like a great price. The last one I saw sold for $419 about a year or so ago, and Ive regretted not picking it up. I am just glad I was able to find another. BTW, another Bert Bell Cut sold for over $400!!!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>VERY NICE FRANK I really like the 97 Upper deck legends ,great Auto cards.

Fabfranks 1997 Upper Deck Legends Autographs >>

Absolutely incredible set! Very Nice!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks Reese.

BTW, another Bert Bell Cut sold for over $400!!!

I know. I was the under bidderimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Reese.

BTW, another Bert Bell Cut sold for over $400!!!

I know. I was the under bidderimage[/q

I have had the hardest time trying to win that card! I bet I have lost more than 5 or 6 times. Oh well, I'll keep trying image
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Frank thanks for the info .I THINK I HEARD SOMEPLACE MAYBE SHOULDABEEN? That some cards or 1 players cards were not really signed by him but his wife any ideas on that?

Also would you say it would be better to just try to buy as many as i can on the bay already graded to forgo the cost of the dna/psa grading fees?
  • Options
    That was the first Bell cut sig that I have seen. I guess I'll have to wait tooimage
  • Options
    Frank thanks for the info .I THINK I HEARD SOMEPLACE MAYBE SHOULDABEEN? That some cards or 1 players cards were not really signed by him but his wife any ideas on that?

In M. Websters case, he signed the cards, just never returned them. I've had 2 or 3 grade by PSA/DNA with no problem.

One player who had his wife sign some of the cards was D. Shell. There is a slight difference in the loop size of the letter "D". I forget which is which. Rumor had it a few slipped thrugh PSA/DNA.

You'll see many of the cards that are graded, only have the "Authentic" grade. Since I had a huge stash of raw autos, it was easier to just submit from my stock. I have more buried somewhere, but we all know the extent of my origanzational skillsimage.

Gregm13 organizes a bulk submission for us a few times a year. I think we are aiming for the end of summe, ealy fall for the next one. I'm sure you will be more than welcome and Greg cuts a deal to save us a few $$.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frank thanks for the info .I THINK I HEARD SOMEPLACE MAYBE SHOULDABEEN? That some cards or 1 players cards were not really signed by him but his wife any ideas on that?

Also would you say it would be better to just try to buy as many as i can on the bay already graded to forgo the cost of the dna/psa grading fees? >>

Walter Payton had somebody help him with one of the Proline issues. Some have his actual sig and some are bogus. This
    is an example of one of the bogus ones. The W is too tight, this card is consistently rejected by psa/dna.
  • Options
    I had a Payton 1991 Proline rejected by PSA.....because the W was too perfect. What's strange is that the rest of the signature looked fine...it's just the W that was odd.

You will find in some of the older auto'd card sets that a small percentage of the cards were either ghost signed or autopenned. Examples that come to mind are 1991 Proline Jim Kelly (autopenned), 1991 Proline Walter payton (ghost signed), 1991 Proline Jack Kemp (autopenned), 1994 Proline Troy Aikman (autopenned), ect...

Regards,

Greg m.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Frank thanks for the info .I THINK I HEARD SOMEPLACE MAYBE SHOULDABEEN? That some cards or 1 players cards were not really signed by him but his wife any ideas on that?

In M. Websters case, he signed the cards, just never returned them. I've had 2 or 3 grade by PSA/DNA with no problem.

One player who had his wife sign some of the cards was D. Shell. There is a slight difference in the loop size of the letter "D". I forget which is which. Rumor had it a few slipped thrugh PSA/DNA.

You'll see many of the cards that are graded, only have the "Authentic" grade. Since I had a huge stash of raw autos, it was easier to just submit from my stock. I have more buried somewhere, but we all know the extent of my origanzational skillsimage.

Gregm13 organizes a bulk submission for us a few times a year. I think we are aiming for the end of summe, ealy fall for the next one. I'm sure you will be more than welcome and Greg cuts a deal to save us a few $$. >>

Frank, Frank,

Loose lips sink ships...

Greg M.

References: