Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is Reeves so expensive?

He's alive, and he appeared on manufacturer certified autos (I have one) as well as having lots of trading cards (including Pro Set).

Nick >>

Wrong dan reeves. The dan reeves he got was the owner of the cleveland rams in the 50s and moved them to LA, opening the NFL to the west coast. He was also the first nfl owner to sign a black player.

He died young long ago, real tough autograph since they didn't make cards of owners back then.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The autograph is on a 1967 Philly Rams team card. I'm not sure if Reeves is pictured on the card - it might be a fight w/ PSA for them to add the card to the set (since I believe the person has to be pictured on the card to be added).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Most likely they will give you the "Authentic" option and it will have a weight of 1 on the Registry. Tough autograph Greg. I'm really happy for you.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    All,

Jack is running around 50 auctions for many tough NFL HOFers. Link is below. For those of you who don't n know him, he has an amazing inventory of autographed cards. Many of my auto'd cards are from him.

Regards,

Greg M.

Jack Wallin's auctions

References:
  • Options
    Hey all, I have dozen or so if the group submission is a go.
    Greg, Thanks for the link to Jacks auctions also

Kurt
    Currently working on Football HOF Autographs, 1999 SP Signatures and other on the card autograph sets
  • Options

<< <i>Hey all, I have dozen or so if the group submission is a go.
    Greg, Thanks for the link to Jacks auctions also

Kurt >>

Kurt,

As stated before, we'll probably send in an order in November. I'll let you know when.

Any auto's that you're looking for? I still have some for sale.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Just popped this afternoon. Disappointed the Sanders came back questionable, purchased it the same time as the Hunt, Jones and McAfee. Hopefully it not just because its Barry. Greg, I've seen your subs with the same issue, Al Davis, Etc, what did you end up doing? Resubmit or ask for refund from seller. Closing in on 50% complete. Thanks, Kurt

1 06478830 1989 SWELL GREATS 113 WILLIE DAVIS N/A 5
    2 06478831 1990 MICHIGAN 63 J. DeLAMIELLEURE COLLEGIATE COLLECTION 8
    3 06478832 1989 SWELL GREATS 30 BILL DUDLEY N/A 5
    4 06478833 1990 SWELL GREATS 40 LAMAR HUNT N/A 7
    5 06478834 1991 SCORE 671 STAN JONES N/A 8
    6 06478835 1978 TOPPS 70 JIM LANGER ALL-PRO 7
    7 06478836 1990 SWELL GREATS 75 GEORGE McAFEE N/A 8
    8 06478837 1973 TOPPS 461 JIM OTTO N/A 8OC
    9 06478838 1997 U.D. LEGENDS 57 JIM OTTO N/A 8
    10 06478839 1990 SWELL GREATS 92 ACE PARKER N/A 8
    11 06478840 1990 SWELL GREATS 112 JIM RINGO N/A 8
    12 06478841 1997 PLAYOFF ZONE 18 BARRY SANDERS N/A Not Holdered, Questionable Authentication
    13 06478842 1997 U.D. LEGENDS 62 JACKIE SMITH N/A 8
    14 06478843 1994 TOPPS ARCHIVES 92 ERNIE STAUTNER 1957 REPRINT 6
    15 06478844 1994 TOPPS ARCHIVES 18 BOB ST. CLAIR 1957 REPRINT 8
    16 06478845 1994 TED WILLIAMS CO. 71 HANK STRAM N/A 6
    17 06478846 1990 SWELL GREATS 28 STEVE VAN BUREN N/A 7
    18 06478847 1997 U.D. LEGENDS 130 BILL WALSH N/A 8

Date Received: 08/30/2006
    Date of Grades Posted: 09/27/2006
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified

Currently working on Football HOF Autographs, 1999 SP Signatures and other on the card autograph sets
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hi Guys,

I've been working on the hall of fame set for about 1 yr and 1/2 now. I currently have 174 of the 235 autographs although most of them havent been graded yet.
    If anyone can help me with the following I would greatly appreciate it.

George Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Buck Buchanan
    Nick Bouniconti
    Jimmy Conzelman
    Al Davis
    Turk Edwards
    Jim Finks
    Len Ford
    Benny Friedman
    Bill George
    Tom Landry
    Bobby Layne
    Tuffy Leemans
    Link Lyman
    John Madden
    Wellington Mara
    Blood McNally
    Wayne Millner
    Greasy Neale
    Steve Owen
    Fritz Pollard
    Art Rooney
    Dan Rooney
    Pete Rozelle
    Tex Schramm
    Billy Shaw
    Art Shell
    Lynn Swann
    Jim Thorpe
    George Trafton
    Emlen Tunnell

There are a few easy ones Im still looking for and theres a few that I know I wont be able to get on cards unless the release cuts (Bell, Bidwell, Carr, Chamberlin, Driscoll, Henry, Hewitt( Less than 12 know signatures exist in the entire hobby), Kiesling, Lambeau, Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, Ray, and Reeves.) If anyone can help with any of the above listed, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
    Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Guys,

I've been working on the hall of fame set for about 1 yr and 1/2 now. I currently have 174 of the 235 autographs although most of them havent been graded yet.
    If anyone can help me with the following I would greatly appreciate it.

George Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Buck Buchanan
    Nick Bouniconti
    Jimmy Conzelman
    Al Davis
    Turk Edwards
    Jim Finks
    Len Ford
    Benny Friedman
    Bill George
    Tom Landry
    Bobby Layne
    Tuffy Leemans
    Link Lyman
    John Madden
    Wellington Mara
    Blood McNally
    Wayne Millner
    Greasy Neale
    Steve Owen
    Fritz Pollard
    Art Rooney
    Dan Rooney
    Pete Rozelle
    Tex Schramm
    Billy Shaw
    Art Shell
    Lynn Swann
    Jim Thorpe
    George Trafton
    Emlen Tunnell

There are a few easy ones Im still looking for and theres a few that I know I wont be able to get on cards unless the release cuts (Bell, Bidwell, Carr, Chamberlin, Driscoll, Henry, Hewitt( Less than 12 know signatures exist in the entire hobby), Kiesling, Lambeau, Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, Ray, and Reeves.) If anyone can help with any of the above listed, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
    Reese >>

Reese,

Welcome to the craziness!!! It's great to have new blood in the mix. I have a John Madden for $35 dlvd if you're interested. Dan Rooney will sign through the mail - I sent him a 2000 HOF induction card and received it back w/i a week. Also, I can likely get the following cards for you; Friedman, McNally, Leemans, Tunnell, Rozelle, Schramm, Layne and George but they won't be cheap (except for the George). Let me know if you're interested and I can quote you prices. My e-mail is montooth13@yahoo.com.

BTW - Reeves does exist - I just picked one up!!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Let me know if you happen to have another Madden or if he passes on the one you offered.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Thanks Greg,

I saw that you found a Dan Reeves?!. Thats great I cant wait to see to see the scans once you add it to the registry. I had no idea, I dont think I ever seen anything signed by Reeves! Congrats
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey guys, just a heads up to let you know I was finally able to add my Wellington Mara to my set. Autograph was on a team card that he is pictured in and his name is in the player descriptions. Been trying for a couple of months now and actually forgot about it. Tried again tonite and it finallywas accepted. Keep me in mind if the group submission happens this month.

Kurt
  • Options
    My set has been updated with the Troy Aikman and Dan Reeves. I'm waiting to add the George Allen - even though the auto is tough to see on the card. Has anyone else picked up anything new lately? I saw that Kurt added his Wellington Mara card - very nice!!

Regards,

Greg M.

HOF auto set

References:
  • Options
    Congrats to Ullr for passing MOSH. I don't understand why MOSH wont open his sets for all to view, so based on that I'm glad to see viewable sets in the top 5. Greg, that Reeves is sweet, nice to see one on the board.
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Anyone have a Wilbur "Pete" Henry? I have only seen a check and recently saw a cut on ebay but had no idea if it is even close to being real.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats to Ullr for passing MOSH. I don't understand why MOSH wont open his sets for all to view, so based on that I'm glad to see viewable sets in the top 5. Greg, that Reeves is sweet, nice to see one on the board. >>

Thank you. I was surprised to find that one existed. I had no idea until I saw the one that I now own. Nice Mara that you picked up - anything else new w/ you? By the way, I sent you an e-mail a couple of weeks ago....check your inbox.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have a Wilbur "Pete" Henry? I have only seen a check and recently saw a cut on ebay but had no idea if it is even close to being real. >>

My understanding is that Wilbur "Pete"Henry is very tough. As far as an autographed card, he is impossible to get because no cards were ever made w/ him on it. I've seen a couple of cuts but they are few and far between. In case you're interested, PSA/DNA has a neat section on the website where they have examples of autographs for quite a few players. I've saved some to my hard drive - but only for players whose autograph is possible to obtain on a card.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Hi Greg. Any news on when you want to send in our next submission??
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Greg. Any news on when you want to send in our next submission?? >>

I was thinking right after the new year. How does that sound to everyone?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    As you already know. I'm IN!
  • Options
    I have a dilemna - there are around 20 to 25 autographs cards that I still need which appear to be impossible on cards. What do you think about having Knuckles create cards that I can add to my sets?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    The only problem is that PSA wont grade them. Therefore they would not show up in the set. It will probably be impossible to complete the set.

Maybe we need to talk to the ladies about potentially removing some of the people that passed well before they could have ever signed a card. That would put all of us high in completion %. If a card is ever produced (ie a cut sign like the lombardi's that we have) then they can be added back to the set.

Was there ever a cut sig card for Lambeau issued like for Lombardi?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay,

I can't find anything every having been issued for Lambeau. This is the list that I think is impossible:

Bert Bell
    Charles Bidwell
    Joe Carr
    Guy Chamberlin
    Paddy Driscoll
    Wilbur Pete Henry
    Bill Hewitt
    Walt Kiesling
    Curly Lambeau
    Tim Mara
    George Preston Marshall
    Fritz Pollard
    Hugh "Shorty" Ray
    George Trafton

What I'm thinking of doing is having Knuckles create cards and have them added as authentic (i.e. count for only 1 on the registry). I'm sure that we could convince the ladies to add non-licensed cards only for this purpose. There is no other way to complete the set.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Myself, I dont have a problem with it. So would you then make your own cut auto cards then?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Knuckles on the PSA boards makes incredible auto cut cards. I was thinking of using him. Believe me - if I made them, they'd hardly be a thing of beauty.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    What I'm thinking of doing is having Knuckles create cards and have them added as authentic (i.e. count for only 1 on the registry). I'm sure that we could convince the ladies to add non-licensed cards only for this purpose. There is no other way to complete the set.

I can't see why not. Aren't some of Knuckles creations already slabbed as "Authentic"? If that's the issue, than it just comes down to locating the sigs on either checks, or documents.
    How's this for an idea? Present this list to the ladies at PSA (CJ, Cosetta, etc). Explain how there are no current cards with these HOF'ers auto's on them. See if they will allow authetic PSA/DNA doucmented checks, documents, letters or even memoriblia to be used instead of a card.
  • Options
    Ok - if I have Knuckles create cards for the "impossible HOFers" would you be interested in having a copy made for yourself? I'll send a note to Gayle

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Ok - if I have Knuckles create cards for the "impossible HOFers" would you be interested in having a copy made for yourself?

I am definitely interested Greg.
  • Options
    I would be interested as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    RIP Lamar Hunt. A true class act and hall of famer in the truest sense.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg, the problem with Authentic is the card will not register on the set registry, I've tried and they just won't do it for you with cards that are labeled authentic, It's because PSA don't consider these actual sports cards, so they label them as tradecards and a Authentic grade. You need to send them into PSA/DNA request them add a auto only grade for it to actually register into the set. But it won't be $20. per card, it will be the standard PSA/DNA price $50 - $150. Which I think is so lame, I've tried and asked and argued with PSA about the Authentic only. I even went to the office and asked about it, trade cards can't be added to the set only real licensed cards. I haven't renewed my PSA membership, whats the point in trying to finish a set if you can't get the card added to it.

If you guys could nudge them to change it, I could finally finish my Baseball HOF autograph set. Best of luck to you guys!

I gave up on this set so, I just gave my entire PSA set registry away to one lucky guy for the CU gift exchange, It wasn't much, that person can re-register them back on the NFL HOF autographs. I also threw in a few Non-graded cards so they can send them off themself.

It's funny I was the one who requested PSA to add this HOF autograph set to the registry. Seems like I have no interest in finishing it!

Enjoy!

Here's one of Knuckles creations! and to see more: CLICK HERE!

FRONT:

BACK:

Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    This thread has been dead lately. Has anyone picked anything else up lately? In case anyone was wondering, I plan on submitting a PSA/DNA order the first or second week of Feb - after the class of 2007 is announced. Let me know if you are interested in joining the order.

Lately, I've picked up the following cards:

Dick Stanfel (TTM)
    Beattie Feathers (Jack W)
    Paul Tagliabue (UKRedskins)
    Gene Hickerson (TTM)
    Randall McDaniel (TTM)
    Bruce Matthews (UKRedskins)
    Roger Wehrli (TTM)
    Kevin Greene (E-Bay)
    Lester Hayes (E-Bay)
    Bob Kuechenberg (TTM)
    Ken Stabler (TTM)

I'm still looking for George Young as he will likely be voted in over the next several years.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

You can count me in on that sub. Though I might have enough to go alone!!!. I picked up some more cards recentlu. I will send or post some scans when I have the time to scan them.

Just so you know I found the 93 SP Moon All-Pro just a few days after X-Mas. It looks nice. I get that graded for free!!!

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
  • Options
    Ooops, forgot how to do this???? Greg, I have about 15 ready to go when you are. LMK, Kurt
  • Options
    Kurt,

Send me an e-mail and we can coordinate.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Picked up a 75 Fleer Immortal Roll Bobby Layne signed, a 75 Topps Emlen Tunnell, and won a George Allen signed 77 Topps Redskins Super Bowl card on ebay last night!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    oops!! check that, I got a 55 Bowman thats signed by Emlen Tunnell. Can't think tonight!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    So that was you bidding on the George Allen...I'm the one that tried to outbid you at the last second!! Nice job. The Layne is tough - what did you pay for the Layne and Tunnell? Just curious.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

Yeah, that was me bidding on the George Allen. I read in one of the posts that you paid $250 for your Allen, so thats what I ending up bidding. I was happy to get it for $177.

I paid $150 for the Tunnell. Its been slabbed authentic by PSA/DNA. It has a nice felt tip signature. The corners are a little soft, but there aren't any creases. Probably would grade a 4, maybe a 5. The Bobby Layne was $125. I picked it up from Jack Wallin. The card is in really nice shape, probably a 6 or 7, but the signature isnt great. Its a little hard to see. Ill probably have to upgrade it at some point, but its ok for now.

Anyway I can get in on the submission?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

Check your e-mail. Nice job on the auto's. The Tunnell is a little high but not too bad considering it's already slabbed. I still can't believe you picked up the Allen...I wanted to upgrade mine because the sign is a little light.

I met Jack earlier this week (since we only live 1/2 hour away from each other) and bought 1977 Touchdowns of Nagurski, Dutch Clark and Beattie Feathers. Pretty sweet.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Has everyone been picking up autographs of the likely class of 2007? I have autographs of 13 or 14 of the finalists. I'm sending out TTM's for Dean, Tippett and looking to pick up a Richard Dent. How about everyone else?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Just popped. All of the sticker auto's will be for sale. Kurt

1 06599201 2000 U.D. LEGENDS FB FRED BILETNIKOFF AUTOGRAPH 8
    2 06599202 2005 ULTIMATE COLL. US-DJ DEACON JONES ULTIMATE SIGNATURES 10
    3 06599203 2001 ULTRA BOB LILLY COLLEGE GREATS PREV.-AUTO 9
    4 06599204 1999 DONRUSS PREFERRED 7 DAN MARINO SIGNATURES 9
    5 06599205 2001 TOPPS TEAM TOPPS TTR4 TOMMY McDONALD LEGENDS-AUTOGRAPH 7
    6 06599206 2005 U.D. LEGENDS LS-LM LENNY MOORE LEGENDARY SIGNATURES 9
    7 06599207 2001 FLEER GREATS Y.A. TITTLE AUTOGRAPHS 9
    8 06599208 2006 DONRUSS CLASSICS 268 CHARLEY TRIPPI SIGNIFICANT SIGN.-GOLD 10
    9 06599209 2001 SP AUTHENTIC SY STEVE YOUNG SIGN OF THE TIMES 10
    10 06599210 2004 U.D. LEGENDS LS-BG BOB GRIESE LEGENDARY SIGNATURES 9
    11 06599211 2001 U.D. LEGENDS TT THURMAN THOMAS AUTOGRAPH 8
    12 06599212 2001 DONRUSS CLASSICS 196 ART MONK SIGNIFICANT SIGNATURES 8
    13 06599213 2005 U.D. REFLECTIONS SR-JB JIM BROWN SIGNATURE REFLECTIONS 9
    14 06599214 2001 TOPPS TEAM TOPPS TTR14 CHARLIE JOINER LEGENDS-AUTOGRAPH 8
    15 06599215 2005 TOPPS A-JP JIM PLUNKETT ALL AM.RET.-AUTO.CHR.REF. 9
    16 06599216 2005 U.D. REFLECTIONS SR-CN CHUCK NOLL SIGNATURE REFLECTIONS 8
    17 06599217 2005 DONRUSS CLASSICS 128 DEACON JONES SIGNIFICANT SIGN.-BRONZE 8
    18 06599218 2001 TOPPS TEAM TOPPS TTF4 TOMMY McDONALD LEGENDS AUTOGRAPH 9
    19 06599219 2003 DONRUSS SIGNATURE LS-8 BOBBY DOERR LEGENDS OF SUMMER-AUTO. 8
    20 06599220 2003 DONRUSS SIGNATURE LS-11 DENNIS ECKERSLEY LEGENDS OF SUMMER-AUTO. 8
    21 06599221 1999 UD CENTURY LEGEND SC STEVE CARLTON EPIC SIGNATURES 9
    22 06599222 2004 TOPPS ALL-TIME FFABG BOB GIBSON FAN FAVORITES ARCH.-AUTO. 9

Date Received: 12/01/2006
    Date of Grades Posted: 01/18/2007
    Date Shipped: 01/18/2007

• Options
    Nice grades - I see that you've gone "sticker-less"...good for you. I have around 4 or 5 that I'd eventually like to upgrade. I'm still looking for a nice Jim Brown...

Are you going to join our order next month?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i> I'm still looking for a nice Jim Brown...

<< <i>

Ask and ye shall receive! On ebay ending tonite, free insured shipping. I think it's a nice card. Good clear scans.

My Jim Brown auto on ebay
  • Options
    I've been looking at this set for a couple of months......looks like it would be a fun one. I just started gathering cards for grading and I hope to have some for the next sub. You do this every couple of months?
    I'm with you on the stickers in fact I would rather have an auto on a vintage card from that players NFL days if possible
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>I've been looking at this set for a couple of months......looks like it would be a fun one. I just started gathering cards for grading and I hope to have some for the next sub. You do this every couple of months?
    I'm with you on the stickers in fact I would rather have an auto on a vintage card from that players NFL days if possible
    David >>

David,

Welcome - it's great to add new blood to the mix. I like vintage cards also - as a matter of fact, most of the cards I send out for autographs through the mail are vintage cards. I just sent out requests to Chris Hanburger and Tommy Nobis and sent out 1970 and 1971 cards for each of them.

Over the last year, we sent out 2 or 3 combined orders. You're more than welcome to join in...just e-mail me at montooth13@yahoo.com for more info.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I'm still looking for a nice Jim Brown...

<< <i>

Ask and ye shall receive! On ebay ending tonite, free insured shipping. I think it's a nice card. Good clear scans.

My Jim Brown auto on ebay >>

Jim,

Very nice card - I've always liked the 2001 Donruss Classics. Is that your card?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg I think I have about 30 or so football HOF autos ending tonite, yes that's one of them. There's a couple sticker autos but most are not. Here's a link to all and free shipping if you find anything you like - if you need bigger scans let me know and I'll send some

Ebay auctions ending tonite
  • Options
    What also might be fun and a challange would be sets that mirror the football key card sets player compositions but with autographed cards.
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson