Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official First Spouse Thread-'Cause Consolidation is a beautiful thing.

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my single unc Abigal Adams today, and it doesn't appear to have a blemish on it, using a 10X loupe. I WON"T be sending ot in for a First Strike designation, as I think it's a lot of BS. Besides, the Mint outdid itself with the superb packaging; it would be a shame to put it in a slab. I hope they continue to do as fine a job with the rest of the series.

Just one gripe - I ordered silver eagles (proofs and "W"s) at the same time. They were delivered in 2 separate trips by Fed Ex, and no one was home, so I had to go to the Fed Ex office and sign for them. With the First Spouse coin today, they left it inside the front door!!! When I went to the Fed Ex website, it said "release authorized"! By whom??? It would have been very easy for someone to have taken it. I'll be contacting Fed Ex about that.

Still, I'm just happy that the coin arrived, and look forward to the Martha Washington.

BTW, my order # was 25427XXX, placed at 12:29 p.m.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    My proof MW came today and I was miffed that the Fedex man did not want my signature. The tracking info said the same as yours,'delivered to front door, released authorized'. I also am not slabbing it, for the same reason as you. I never opened it, just listed it on eBay.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

Well the FEDEX guy just left my 5 MW PF's. Had to sign the computer for them he said.

My question is for those opening and looking them over carefully.
    ARE there lots of tiny pin holes on them. On my 5 I can see them using a 16X loop.
    Are they on everybodies????????????????image
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    mckaletamckaleta Posts: 131
    why does everyone make mini-orders of those spouse coins? why is this desirable? possibly because you can sell them individually sealed and keep a couple for yourself? does ordering individually increase your chances of having your order fulfilled? i just dont understand if you want 10 coins, then why dont you order all ten at once. why the ordering games?

thanks for any insight.
    Sometimes I wish I was dead. Wait, not me. You. - Jack Handy
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Also, small orders has lesser chance of credit card problems.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why does everyone make mini-orders of those spouse coins? why is this desirable? possibly because you can sell them individually sealed and keep a couple for yourself? does ordering individually increase your chances of having your order fulfilled? i just dont understand if you want 10 coins, then why dont you order all ten at once. why the ordering games?

thanks for any insight. >>

I would have ordered individually if I did not feel there was going to be a rush.

Thought process would be like this, I would have gladly paid the $4.95 per coin to have them shipped separate, only because they are worth more in sealed cartons than raw. It is easier to flip one sealde box than a box of 5 or 10.

But because of the worry of a quick sellout, I ordere boxes of 5 just because once I got thru, I did not want to take a chance of messing it up, and getting stuck on hold again.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that Home Shopping Network has had ICG grade over 1000 proofs and 1000 unc in 70 grade, to quote the host of the show "HSN has a special deal with the Mint" I wonder how many 69's they will come up with when the sell out of the 70's at $1399.00 a pop for the Proof and $1299.00 a pop for the Unc.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    There were no bulk orders according to the U.S. Mint. So how did HSN get all these? Probably all their employees ordering.
  • Options
    PCGS FS DCAM 70 MW

So is this the first one of these on ebay? Prices do not seem to be overly insane.

No one seems to be touching this one
    DCAM 70 MW

Lot of last minute sniping perhaps.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    that seems like an insane amount to me if I was a buyer but not as a seller.

mine are not being graded, just flipped and one for my wife

the ones i have all look problem free, in every aspect....the box is cool, too, more interesting to look at than the coin.

• Options

<< <i>PCGS FS DCAM 70 MW

So is this the first one of these on ebay? Prices do not seem to be overly insane.
    >>

A $2,000 profit (including grading+shipping fees) for a half oz. of modern gold sounds pretty insane to me.
  • Options

Same coins?????
    One @ $2650???? With 19 bidders????????? Woweeeeeeeee
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    I was comparing the insanity to the 2006 FS DCAM Buffalo that went for over $5000.00 last year and with a mintage of over 280,000. I guess their are degrees of insanity.
  • Options

Has anybodies coin have tiny pinholes??????????
    I have 5 that do...Does this take away a 70??????
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anybodies coin have tiny pinholes??????????
    I have 5 that do...Does this take away a 70?????? >>

Depends on if they were caused post minting or not also if they are in prime focal areas it will take away from a 70.
  • Options

<< <i>I was comparing the insanity to the 2006 FS DCAM Buffalo that went for over $5000.00 last year and with a mintage of over 280,000. I guess their are degrees of insanity. >>

I guess if that FS/70 spouse was a one oz. commem, it would fetch around the same.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS FS DCAM 70 MW

>>

A $2,000 profit (including grading+shipping fees) for a half oz. of modern gold sounds pretty insane to me. >>

I don't see this as insane, then again, I am the one profiting from this quite generous bid so why would I complain. The coin was at 1200ish until the last 30 seconds or so, so I can only assume that this other one I am selling will pop by the snipers. G-d bless the free market economy. image
  • Options

Greeniejr,
    I'm very happy for you as I'll also be trying to sell a few.
    Did yours have any tiny pinholes scattered around the coins??????????
    I'm worried it might cause the coin to not go as a 70.........
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    Congrats! That was a nice flip!

If you don't mind sharing, how did you do with your submission (how many 69s 70s etc) and did you look or just send them in?

PCGS hasn't received mine yet, but I'm hoping for a decent turnaround.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greeniejr,
    I'm very happy for you as I'll also be trying to sell a few.
    Did yours have any tiny pinholes scattered around the coins??????????
    I'm worried it might cause the coin to not go as a 70......... >>

Thank you for the well wishes. I really didn't look very closely at the coins so I really can't say. Got one really ugly Martha and Abigail that looked like heck with a naked eye so I didn't send it in. As far as the grades, Martha went 70-70-69-68 and Abby went 69-69-69-69. We'll see what the 69 singles and 69 pair finish with tommorow.
    Edited: They were sent 5day express
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    >>

A $2,000 profit (including grading+shipping fees) for a half oz. of modern gold sounds pretty insane to me.

I don't see this as insane, then again, I am the one profiting from this quite generous bid so why would I complain. The coin was at 1200ish until the last 30 seconds or so, so I can only assume that this other one I am selling will pop by the snipers. G-d bless the free market economy. image >>

I move you be granted the "YOU SUCK" award. Do I have a second to the motion?
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options

2nd
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    All opposed?
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

• Options

Same side
    DONNYJF
  • Options

<< <i>All opposed? >>

Greeniejr let me be the first to tell you officially, "YOU SUCK.™" image

P.S. I know I am bending the rule, but he did buy it first. image

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Well, I opened my martha's tonight...pretty disappointed.

One had the capsule out of the hole in the felt...it is pr68-pr69 at best.

The other one, the capsule was open and the coin and capsule pieces were rattling around...the coin was maybe a 70...but not after the dings caused by the capsule.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I got mine today, but haven't opened it yet. I realized that the credit card i used to pay for it, had been canceled early last week as my wife paid off the balance and quickly put the ole' kabosh to it. The balance paid off was much less than the cost of the coin, and the US Mint didn't bother to charge my card before it was sent out and the card canceled. can you say "Free Coin?". Do i suck, or what!?
  • Options

<< <i>can you say "Free Coin?". Do i suck, or what!? >>

Nothing in life is free. The mint will catch on and suspend your account until you make good.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got mine today, but haven't opened it yet. I realized that the credit card i used to pay for it, had been canceled early last week as my wife paid off the balance and quickly put the ole' kabosh to it. The balance paid off was much less than the cost of the coin, and the US Mint didn't bother to charge my card before it was sent out and the card canceled. can you say "Free Coin?". >>

Let's see, you make a contract with a Federal agency to pay for an item you ordered and think they are just going to give it too you because you cancelled your credit card before the charged it? If I were you I would be calling the Mint and making some arrangments to pay before they make arrangments for your next address. You might just live to regret the question "Do i suck, or what!? "
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

<< <i>Do i suck, or what!? >>

If you keep the coin without paying for it, then you are a common thief. Yeah, you suck alright.

P.S. YOU may think you got away with something, but I guarantee that you'll be hearing from bill collectors within 90 days.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Even if you cancelled your card, the charge had been pre-arthorized already, your account will remain closed but it will have a balance due when you get your next statement.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    You also might want to think twice before posting incrimintating information on the internet. It has come back to haunt many people. A radio news program mentioned that some companies look at My Space and other social web sites to see if potential employees have things posted there. Now you know why they didn't call you back for a second interview!

I'm sure that you'll be billed despite closing the account. I've had that happen before with a monthly subscription that I forgot to move to my new card and they kept accepting the charges and billing me.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Years ago my uncle played some games with the mint and 5 guys showed at the house looking for him, he'd used our address, and although I was a kid, I knew what FBI meant.
  • Options
    Well this pr69dcam cleared $1,125.00 . Makes me think seriously about sending the two I have in for grading.

Ebay Link

• Options
    Mine are there at PCGS now. I hope they come back soon!
  • Options
    Then there is the 70DCAM that went for $2881.00

Ebay Link

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent it off to get graded tody. One of each. Hopefully I will have an answer in 5 days. Here's a picture of one of them.

• Options
    remaining orders get pushed back one day, each day.

everyday it's two weeks and one day.
  • Options
    My backorders are staying at 8/1 & 8/17...not creeping forward (#25428XXX)
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My backorders are staying at 8/1 & 8/17...not creeping forward (#25428XXX) >>

"First Strike" deadline is not going to be met by a lot of buyers...

MS/PR First Spouse Gold Coins (Washington/Adams) Jul 20th
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>Do i suck, or what!? >>

If you keep the coin without paying for it, then you are a common thief. Yeah, you suck alright.

P.S. YOU may think you got away with something, but I guarantee that you'll be hearing from bill collectors within 90 days. >>

allright, everyone calm down. I guess it is tough to use sarcasm online without using a little emoticon, which i left out. They didn't catch the error, but I had no intention of not making good on it. i called back the other day and paid via debit card. they had me on hold for a few minutes, and i was just trying to give 'em their money! i can imagine what the hold is like if someone has a simple question or trying to order something. they need to get their act together.
    my joke wasn't taken in the context it was given, so i'll insert the smiley in this post and try to use a little more direct humor in the future image
  • Options

<< <i>My backorders are staying at 8/1 & 8/17...not creeping forward (#25428XXX) >>

i'm sure i will catch up to you 5 days and then leap "ahead" and

i have a higher order number, to boot on both outstanding orders.image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I think you are beyond hope on that order number but I wish you luck all the same. My number is even higher than yours but I did get 2 proofs and 4 uncirculated earlier.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I got all my orders up to order # 25426XXX @ 12:28

Backorders start at # 25427xxx @ 12:30

About 400 orders are between my last order received and my first order not received.

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    My father's (5) Martha uncs are backordered at 12:37 expected 8/1/07 ship ? We hope.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order #25427XXX for the unc Martha has been holding at 8/1; I received the Abigail Adams unc. last week. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "8/1" orders are filled before that date; it has happened to me before.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    How come most of the orders are for 8/1 and beyond and my order #25440*** is for 7/27. I really dont expect to get these but it all doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    I was originally on the 'creeping 15 days in the future' plan, but then they emailed me and said one coin will be shipped, two are b/o until 8/1 and one b/o until 8/17. Wow, this thread is going to 300!image

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my 5 MW PF's that were ordered at 12:01 on the 19th yesterday. Got the other 15 on the 22nd... Go figure
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file