Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Official First Spouse Thread-'Cause Consolidation is a beautiful thing.

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone is planning on going forward with this series, is it better to order Proofs or Uncirc?

I only ordered one MW and one AA proofs. My ship date was initially 7/4 and changed twice with the ship date at 7/9 before my order went to In process and ship date changed to 6/28.

My order was confirmed at 12:19 on 6/19.

K. >>

Define better? As a collector, collect the one you like best. For me I like the proofs with the deep mirrors making the frosted devices stand out. As a speculator there will probably be fewer MS coins but they may look kind of dull with these designs.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My CC was charged for the proof coins only. I ordered 20 coins (5 of each) and the cancel box is gone on all 4 lines but the uncs are scheduled to ship on 7/10 now (the date keeps moving). >>

The cancel boxes will come back on the ones that didn't ship.

• I managed to purchase and have received the Martha Washington proof. Abagail is 'in process'. After browsing your forum everyone will consider how lucky I am that not only did I get one of these coins and, maybe, both but that I received them almost overnight! But....
    I can't prove this, since only my wife was here when it arrived, but my First Spouse Martha Washington Proof was loose and not in its plastic holder! Martha wasn't even tucked into her nest! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've only bought a few items from the mint. I am not a speculator, dealer or, even a collector. I'm just someone who wants to leave a little something to the grandkids
    Obviously, since I'm sure the mint would deny this happened and there's no way to prove it, I am stuck with a coin that is no longer proof. There is no way this coin could still be proof after bouncing around in the case against the box and holder all the way from the mint. No, this could not have happened after packaging. These holders could not have come apart in such a confined space, dump the coin and put itself back together!!
    And, if by some miracle the mint did believe me and allow a return, I obviously would not get a replacement since they sold out.
    Frankly, I'm suspicious about a switch somewhere along the line. But everyone knows if you placed the coin on a scale to weigh it, even more flaws could occur. So I can't even do that.
    I am not interested in taking less for this coin. I'm even less interested in profit. So please don't assume I want someone to make an offer. I bought this coin from the few dollars left to me by my best friend and, sadly, late brother.
    I just want to find out if anyone else has EVER received such a shipment.
    But I won't be surprised to hear that I, out of all the thousands who bought these coins, am now the owner of the only non-proof, proof!
    (This is my first posting to a forum. I hope I did it correctly. If not my apologies)
    mutt
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Welcome!! First post and you already hate the mint. Go order something on eBay now.image
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FWIW, on the dealer network, COINNET, Bob Lecce is offering $575 each for futures in quantity, a couple of dealers are offering $625 each in four-coin sets, and one dealer is offering a 20-coin set in sealed boxes when he gets them at $17,000, or $650 per coin
    TD >>

Sounds like $850 per coin. >>

New math.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>
    I just want to find out if anyone else has EVER received such a shipment.
    But I won't be surprised to hear that I, out of all the thousands who bought these coins, am now the owner of the only non-proof, proof!
    (This is my first posting to a forum. I hope I did it correctly. If not my apologies) >>

This has happens more often than you would think. The mint has no problem accepting returns, unfortunately with the demand an exchange might be a little difficult.

This seems to happen more in the items that are sent Fed-ex or DHL. The packages that are sent registered mail seem to be packed better.
  • fastrudy. I don't 'hate 'The Mint'. The Mint is a group of hardworking, dedicated individuals-with at least one exception. What I do hate is incompetence, carelessness and ignorance and these are the obvious qualitites of the individual who works for the Mint who packaged this coin or who inspected the mechanical process.
    If the shipper or processing center has actual access to these coins and this is not as secure an area as the mint itself, then I would be very concerned-if coins were my business-that I am actually getting gold and not gold plated lead!image
    mutt
  • I am having the same problem with my MW UNC. The order date keeps getting pushed back (now 7/10) and I had a confirmation email sent at 12:19 ET. I am 21 and IF I actually by some miracle do receive this coin do I sell it or hold onto it for the future?

• << <i>I am having the same problem with my MW UNC. The order date keeps getting pushed back (now 7/10) and I had a confirmation email sent at 12:19 ET. I am 21 and IF I actually by some miracle do receive this coin do I sell it or hold onto it for the future? >>

Nothing wrong with your unc getting moved back... I can't imagine them having these all minted yet since they didn't know how many of each to make... I assume they minted a set number of each to start and those are the coins being shipped now.
    If your order was in by 12:19 I think you will receive your coins. As far as keeping or selling that is up to you.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image....As far as the mint shipping defective products go....I have read they make extra coins beyond mintage limit to satisfy replacement orders. I would call mint to verify you can get replacement product before returning anythingimage ..........My last "request" at around 1:20 went from hold to in processimage
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a package from FedEx last Friday, and thought I was going to receive the 2 unc. First Spouse coins that I'd ordered. I eagerly opened the box to find just 2 proof silver eagles that I'd ordered at the same time. I didn't think they'd send those FedEx. It was a huge disappointment.

Now my First Spouse coins are showing an expected shipping date of 07/10. It keeps creeping back a day, going from 07/04 to 07/05 to 07/07 to 07/08 to 07/09 to 07/10. I just noticed that when I go to the Track Order page on the Mint's website, it shows the time of my order at 12:30 A.M. instead of 12:30 P.M.!!! I hope they don't look at that and decide that I jumped the gun by 12 hours, and cancel my order. Does everyone else who ordered Tuesday afternoon show a time of XX:XX A.M.?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Does everyone else who ordered Tuesday afternoon show a time of XX:XX A.M.?

Yes, I ordered at 9:40 AM PST or 12:40PM EST. However, it shows up as 12:40AM. So that is pretty normal. May we all get our coins!

Swest
  • My 20th Anniversary Silver set had milkspots, so I called the mint about returning them. The guy I spoke to said that I could return them, but there was no guarantee I'd get a replacement because they had sold out. I figured I was better off keeping my set rather than taking a chance returning them. He also alluded to the fact that they would just use the ones I returned and send them to someone else.
  • ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    Looks like my order of 12:09 is on its way.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like my order of 12:09 is on its way. >>

I have a reserved in stock cancel box gone order at 11:58 and it still is not shipped.

I would love to lnow how the mint decides whose order to ship.

Crazy.

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update.
    I ordered 5 ea (20 total) at 12:01 and got the email confirmation back also at 12:01. 15 of my 20 coins were delivered Friday morning. The Proof MW were the 5 coins not shipped. I called the mint Monday afternoon and was told that my order was still in process. The gal on the phone really didn't want to believe me that I had received a partial order...
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

• << <i>

I have a reserved in stock cancel box gone order at 11:58 and it still is not shipped.

Crazy. >>

If you placed the order before they went on sale at Noon ET, they may cancel your order.

<< <i>What happens to orders placed prior to the "official" on-sale date and/or time?

Any mail orders received prior to an "official" on-sale date or time are held until the official start of sales to be processed. In general our systems are setup up not to take orders early, however, on occasion, some orders have slipped through. If this happens, those orders are cancelled and the United States Mint will attempt to notify the customer and give them the opportunity to re-place their order, if inventory is still available. >>

Source
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are backordered but.....
    a special thanks to TomB image

HE>I

• compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Crazy. >>

If you placed the order before they went on sale at Noon ET, they may cancel your order.

<< <i>What happens to orders placed prior to the "official" on-sale date and/or time?

Any mail orders received prior to an "official" on-sale date or time are held until the official start of sales to be processed. In general our systems are setup up not to take orders early, however, on occasion, some orders have slipped through. If this happens, those orders are cancelled and the United States Mint will attempt to notify the customer and give them the opportunity to re-place their order, if inventory is still available. >>

Source >>

Order Date: 06/19/2007 at 11:57 AM

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.
    Keith
  • What is becoming very clear is the reason why some people prefer to pay more for the coins on eBay than order from the Mint.

I called this morning to see what is going on with my 20 coin order placed after 12:00. I followed their rules and their order limits and waited patiently for the website to fill my cart and check out. I got this done at around 12:20 (yes it took that long for me and I work with computers for a living). The first rep I spoke with tried to tell me that it is taking days for my CC to go through. I have been on the phone with my CC company a few times and each time they assure me that there is no problem becuase my order does not exceed my limit. After telling her that I didn't believe her because I know that what she was telling me isn't true, she put me on hold for 20 minutes and then came back and hung up on me! (what a surprise)

The second rep I spoke with (and yes I did stay calm) said that the proofs were picked and should be shipped that the uncs are backordered (now to 7/16). So I'm not holding my breath, but at least I might get something.

Maybe they ran out of those nice boxes that they come in.....
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    Ha ha...now my order of one(!) MW Unc, which went "in process" from "hold" late last week has been moved again to a ship date of 7/11/07.

Every day it moves back another day. I have a bad feeling about this...image

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

All four of mine proof and UNC now say 7/11/2007 also.
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever gotten an order cancelled because the order was accepted prior to 12:00 selling time?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have a bad feeling about all of this, too, but then again with every setback, there is an opportunity (just don't know where that is at the moment) I'm gonna cancel my orders and hope that helps somone else out, I have ADD real bad and will just buy a couple on eBay.image

<< <i>Has anyone ever gotten an order cancelled because the order was accepted prior to 12:00 selling time? >>

No, I got my Martha's that I ordered at about 11:54.

I don't see why they would cancel it. It was on there website, right on the front page. Put your quantity in and push the add to basket. Now it may have been a mistake on there part to put the Martha Proofs on the front page like that, but I can't see why they would punish the customer.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 MW proofs off to PCGS this morning!

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ha ha...now my order of one(!) MW Unc, which went "in process" from "hold" late last week has been moved again to a ship date of 7/11/07. >>

This is the Mint's attempt to keep the TPG's First Strike/Early Strike submissions to a minimum. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • My order of 2-MW and 2-AA Uncs. @12:06 started off with a shipping date of 07/04. Now they are "in process" and the shipping
    date is 07/16!
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • what is the upside potential on the jefferson spouse MEDALS? i think pretty good. any thoughts?
    Sometimes I wish I was dead. Wait, not me. You. - Jack Handy
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • So it's interesting... my order was placed at 12:55am order 2543XXXX.

Status page shows order in process, item status messages all say "1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/12/2007" with cancel button, but there is a FedEx tracking number and they apparently tried to deliver it this morning...
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Has anybody else who didn't receive a confirmation email had their order vanish from the track order history page?

It happened to me once. In my experience you are hosed. image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NN reports that: First Spouse orders at 25,000 first day of sale
    The Mint says it accepted 25,000 orders from eager buyers in the June 19 sellout of the first two gold coins in the First Spouse series.

Interesting...... out of 80,000 coins possible ... 25,000 orders = 3.2 coins per order ......
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • False alarm. The shipment didn't contain any hags. It was another coin that I had on my order. image
  • I think most people who ordered placed multiple orders. I know I did...I placed 10 seperate orders between 12:11 and 12:47, so far I have recieved one order of two proofs, one each of the Washington and Adams. My next order shows a delivery date of July 3 for two Uncirulated, again one Washington and one Adams. I had hoped to get more than one full set, keep one set and sell the rest and so I placed seperate orders, which seems to be what others have done.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein.

<< <i>NN reports that: First Spouse orders at 25,000 first day of sale
    The Mint says it accepted 25,000 orders from eager buyers in the June 19 sellout of the first two gold coins in the First Spouse series.

Interesting...... out of 80,000 coins possible ... 25,000 orders = 3.2 coins per order ...... >>

NN article someone posted in another thread.

LINK

• Order number: 25428XXX

Order Date: 06/19/2007 at 12:40 AM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.

Backordered. Expected to ship on 07/16/2007.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • My order isn't moving at all.

Now I have them on the 7/17/07 date. This is getting freaky since I ordered in the first 40 minutes and haven't received a single coin yet. I have 3 of each coin ordered.

Swest
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    The mint is not stating if this broke a record for them as the quickest sellout in its history. The rest of mine are dated 7/17/07 also. I ordered in the first hour.
    PCGS graded 69 ... up for auction ... first one I've seen.
    Link ..
  • I gotta say, I like the look of thos boxes!

Swest

<< <i>PCGS graded 69 ... up for auction ... first one I've seen.
    Link .. >>

Mine has some 'dots' on the nose. 69 all the way. The nose will be tough.

Coin World has some stats:

- Almost an even split of Unc. and Proof.

- 25,000 orders handled until the sellout.

- Average order size per house, not per order, per house, three. Not sure what this means...

- No bulk orders accepted.

- the Mint had sufficient order to exhaust the max WITHIN 2 HOURS !!! If your past 2 PM order time, you may be screwed.

- shipping is first in - first out.

- No plans to increase Mintages for 2007, 2008 who knows.

Number of auctions have dropped by 2/3 & the prices realized are going up. image
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Order 25428XXX still backordered until 7/18/07 and creeping up daily. Ordered in first 45 minutes. Originally, I got an email stating the GW Proof will ship out on 7/16, and yesterday's listing showed this; but today, one of each of the four all show the same backorder date. Very strange Mint we have.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Number of auctions have dropped by 2/3 & the prices realized are going up. image >>

This babys are going to be in the $1300-1400 range very soon!
    Keithimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That's where I had mine last week with 100 lookers and no takers. I let them run out and will try again in a couple of weeks. I am not going to give them away.
  • Now here's an interesting question:

Why do you suppose the mint are taking so long to get all 25,000 coin orders out the door? Is it because...

a) They are totaly incompetent and couldn't organise a p!ssup in a brewery, or
    b) They knew that around 75% of these were being bought by people who wanted to sell them on for a profit and didn't want to flood the market all at once, so someone at the mint with a brain actually thought let's stream these out slowly that way the interest will remain (sort of a PS3 & iphone type of thing) and as an added bonus if we take extra long not everyone will qualify for a First Strike.

What do you think "a" or "b"?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file