Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official First Spouse Thread-'Cause Consolidation is a beautiful thing.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Now here's an interesting question:

Why do you suppose the mint are taking so long to get all 25,000 coin orders out the door? Is it because...

a) They are totaly incompetent and couldn't organise a p!ssup in a brewery, or
    b) They knew that around 75% of these were being bought by people who wanted to sell them on for a profit and didn't want to flood the market all at once, so someone at the mint with a brain actually thought let's stream these out slowly that way the interest will remain (sort of a PS3 & iphone type of thing) and as an added bonus if we take extra long not everyone will qualify for a First Strike.

What do you think "a" or "b"? >>

I choose option "c" - They only minted a small amount in advance and those have already shipped. They will mint the rest of the coins in a couple/few weeks and ship them out at that time.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Or D, all coins had been shipped.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image...Are they delaying release all at once? I have to believe what was in the "trade" papers, that the sell out was beyond what was expected.....And final delivery to all by the end of Aug. Perhaps they are minting more now and/or waiting on packaging......time will tellimage
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now here's an interesting question:

Why do you suppose the mint are taking so long to get all 25,000 coin orders out the door? Is it because...

a) They are totaly incompetent and couldn't organise a p!ssup in a brewery, or
    b) They knew that around 75% of these were being bought by people who wanted to sell them on for a profit and didn't want to flood the market all at once, so someone at the mint with a brain actually thought let's stream these out slowly that way the interest will remain (sort of a PS3 & iphone type of thing) and as an added bonus if we take extra long not everyone will qualify for a First Strike.

What do you think "a" or "b"? >>

I choose option "c" - They only minted a small amount in advance and those have already shipped. They will mint the rest of the coins in a couple/few weeks and ship them out at that time. >>

I agree with 'c'.

But, I think they minted all the coins already.

They need the plantches, so I would think they already have enough of those. Then, if they are striking coins, why stop? I would think it is more economical to mint all the coins in one shot. Melt them if they don't sell them.

Edit to add: OK, maybe they couldn't mint all of them, but 10 or 15,000 each should have been OK...

• Options
    1 of my orders went from "in process" to "In stock & reserved" today for all coins except AA proofs. My 1st order was placed 20 mins after sale started.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    my chick called the mint today and asked the rep why is it that each day, the orders are pushed back further. she has 8 seperate orders for 1 coin each. the response from the rep at the mint was that whoever is still showing backorder right now is going to get them. they already sent out cancellation notices via email to everyone who was going to get cancelled. ---- take this at face value. i will believe it once any coins arrive.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    My 4 uncirculated just went "in stock and reserved" and my credit card is charged.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order changed today to:

2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (MW) 1 $410.95 $410.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/20/2007.
    2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (AA) 1 $410.95 $410.95 In stock and reserved

Looks like I'll get them. Too bad the "fullfillment center" can't wait until they have the entire order ready. I bought some proof and some "W" silver eagles at the same time, but the order will most likely be received in 4 separate shipments, for which I was charged $4.95. It's doesn't seem to be very cost-effective, but I'll bet FedEx is happy.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My order changed today to:

2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (MW) 1 $410.95 $410.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/20/2007.

Looks like I'll get them. Too bad the "fullfillment center" can't wait until they have the entire order ready. I bought some proof and some "W" silver eagles at the same time, but the order will most likely be received in 4 separate shipments, for which I was charged $4.95. It's doesn't seem to be very cost-effective, but I'll bet FedEx is happy.

Jim >>

I have that same thought also, maybe they are self insure and would like to spread the rise.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

d) The mint is not the one who needs them sent out fast.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    I looked this morning and my orders are now backed up to 8/1 and 8/17 with the cancel box gone.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>My order changed today to:

Jim >>

The mint only charges you the $4.95 shipping one time(first shipment) the rest ship for free from the same order...
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what is happening over at the USM, 8/1 delivery dates???????

or, another repeat of last week's debacle
  • Options
    seems like some orders are now delayed after later orders......

I would bet later they go in stock and reserved.....
  • Options

<< <i>I called this morning to see what is going on with my 20 coin order placed after 12:00. I followed their rules and their order limits and waited patiently for the website to fill my cart and check out. I got this done at around 12:20 (yes it took that long for me and I work with computers for a living). >>

Unfortunately, when dealing with the mint you have to learn to be very patient. It can take up to four months to receive the coins you ordered (it's happened to me twice). On the other hand, sometimes you'll get a FedEx package the next day.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a very early order #, 25422xx and a order confirmation email from the mint at 12:01. I ordered 20 (5 each) and my cc was charged the next day (20th). Tracking showed 3 boxes shipped and delivered to me on the 21st. I have still not received the 4th box of 5 coins. My account still shows "In Process" and "In Stock and Reserved". When I call the Mint they tell me "We're checking on your order..." I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get my 5 Pf MW's.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image Yah, Orders moved to 8/1 & 9/4........Guess the mint is getting tired of people asking them when are they going to deliver product.. image ...............I have 5 of the coins now and waiting for others. image How long can I delay sending in for F.S.. Do they need to be posted marked by 7/20 or get to PCGS by then?
  • Options
    It appears there will be few PCGS First Strike Spouse Gold coins. Congrats to whomever gets the first two to come back in a 70. This should drive up the prices on First Strike eligible sets. image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    what a bunch of characters over there at the USM

they strive for excellence in customer service, order management and delivery

they are third rate at best

Amazon can ship thousands of orders per day without issues, I understand possibly all of the product wasn't coined on day one - but - they could have estimated within a thousand pieces or so....between prf and unc....and had those minted in a few days

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    If I get a 70 FS for my Martha Washington Proof I won't be selling, but I could imagine it going for good money. I only see a couple up on ebay. This ebayer wants 3000 for his and its only a 69.
    MW Spouse Gold
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

my order placed @ 12:33 now says 5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 08/01/2007.

my order placed @ 12:55 now says 5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 09/04/2007.

1 is mw unc. and 1 is aa unc.
  • Options
    now they will be "bumping" up against Jeff Spouse Gold sales!!!!!!

what a bunch of incompetents
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    So much for getting the first strike label. image

2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD PRF (MW) backordered. Expected to ship on 08/01/2007.
    2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (MW) backordered. Expected to ship on 08/01/2007.
    2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD PRF (AA) backordered. Expected to ship on 08/17/2007.
    2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (AA) backordered. Expected to ship on 08/01/2007.
  • Options
    At least you are getting them.
  • Options
    Not to be a pessimist, but until I have them in my hand I won't be sure that I am getting them.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any pics to post yet or are everyone shipping thier unopened boxes to PCGS?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Pics are all over ebay, My 12:28 order says, in process, In stock and reserved, cancel box gone, but no expected shipping info whatsoever....already received 15, just waiting on last 5 UNC MW's...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I have a backorder date for SEPTEMBER ( order was placed online in the first forty minutes)

1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 09/04/2007.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,
    Does anyone have any pics to post yet or are everyone shipping thier unopened boxes to PCGS? >>

ebay # 320135182522

You don't need sealed boxes unless you wait until after July 20th to send them in and your Mint box is post marked before July 20th.

Why didn't PCGS put "First Spouse Series" on the label????

They put 20th Anniv. on the others. The Mint boxes clearly say "First Spouse Series".

Is PCGS dropping the ball again ??!?! image

Someone lobby PCGS to put "First Spouse Series" on the label.

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    So, if there no reason to send a sealed box, I should open it and inspect them huh?
    Then only send them in if there is a chance for a 70?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>So, if there no reason to send a sealed box, I should open it and inspect them huh?
    Then only send them in if there is a chance for a 70? >>

That's right.

You have until July 20th. If you getting close to the cutoff, you'd want to find out if mailing it on the 19th would be good enough, with a post mark.

If you're mailing them on Monday the 9th, just send in the coins.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I ordered mine at 3:45 and my order is "in process" with the following BO date

2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD PRF (MW) 1 $429.95 $429.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/21/2007.

Go figure

Joe

I know I will never see mine.

• Options
    Mine says the same thing and I ordered it about the same time. I don't expect to see it.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It appears there will be few PCGS First Strike Spouse Gold coins. Congrats to whomever gets the first two to come back in a 70. This should drive up the prices on First Strike eligible sets. image >>

Thank you for the congradulations, one Martha up on eBay right now. $700 is a reasonable opening though I know it won't stay there for long.
    Link
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Gonna be a lucky day {7/7/7}. One first spouse gold proof MW in the mail and 90 miles away from me. To be delivered on 7/9. Everything else is Backordered. This was order #25428XXX ordered at 12:38 PM.

You will see it on eBay. Happy happy joy joy.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    All 8 of mine are shipped also. Happy Day!

Now sell em in the box unopened? Get first strike grading and hope for 70's?

Bought to flip, and then I can use profits to buy the Jeffersons in full quantity.

If I thought they would skyrocket unopened I would sit on them. Just don't know, but I am glad they are out of the mint;s hands and in FEDEX's.

My orders were at 11:55 (early order) and 12:09 fo rthe 3 uncs I ordered.

As a side note

Here is the 1st PCGS 70 auction I have found.

I am a very interested watcher.

• Options
    I got my orders in by 12:25 and 5 Washington proofs and 5 Washington uncircs are on the way this morning. Should be here Monday.
  • Options
    same here, my early order will be delivered, USM called and decision was made to honor early orders (I guess on case by case basis?)

but that order is not in this delivery - who knows what is going on?

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    My 10 BUs shipped 7/7. Any guess on what that 70 will finish at?
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'm going to leave mine in the mint box. This will retain the 1st. strike designation and I believe some will pay extra for the un-opened box in hopes of getting a 70. Once box is opened everyone will think they have been picked over. JMO. jws
  • Options
    PCGS 69

They reached over a thousand now for each.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS 69

They reached over a thousand now for each. >>

I like it....image
    But, I wonder if the weekend bidders brought it up and it may fall?
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS 69

They reached over a thousand now for each. >>

Only 8 Martha FS proofs and 4 FS unc. graded thus far.
  • Options
    Seems dealers would rather sell them raw maybe. Too early yet but you can add 2 more to that list by next week for mine.
  • Options
    Yeaaaaaaaah!
    My 12:06 order of 4 Uncirculated pieces have FINALLY shipped!
    They are in Hapeville, GA and Should be here by Tuesday!

Now I can start breathing again until Mr. Jefferson is offered image
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting interesting.....
    I ordered 20 coins at 12:01 on the 19th and got the confirmation back noting that time. On the 21st, 15 of the 20 coins showed up. The order page still shows "In stock and reserved". I called the mint and they say none of mine have been shipped yet.... Now it gets even better... I just checked my credit card on line and I have not been charged for any of them.

This is just so weird..
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    You may find this hard to believe, but a friend of mine ordered 10-Capitol Visitor Center 1/4 oz. gold commemoratives from the Mint, and
    TO THIS DAY has not been billed!
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Well I am sure I will be billed, but I did just receive my delivery of 5 proof and 3 unc Washington coins. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can sell them, and get ready for the Jefferson and Madison coins which I want to collect.

wooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo

I love the FEDEX guy as much as one man can love another, while still remaining macho. LOL

• Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126

<< <i>Now I can sell them, and get ready for the Jefferson and Madison coins which I want to collect. >>

"It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    Me too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file