Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on landing that PSA 8 Thorpe, Joe! image That'll go nicely with your recently added PSA 8 Grange...and the dozens of other cards you've added recently to leave many of us in the dust.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Alright guys...Going in a little bit of a different dirrection to try and further my HOF RC set. Below I have 2 lists..The first list are cards in my collection that I am willing to TRADE (not selling) for cards that I truly need to meet my collecting goals. I'm not looking to sell any of these, ONLY trade and ONLY for card that I have listed below as needing. If you see any cards you might want and have something that I could use, shoot me an e-mail at jabeduco@yahoo.com and we can discuss.

Cards Available:
    PSA 9 1955 Bowman John Henry Johnson
    PSA 9 1959 Topps Jim Parker
    PSA 9 1959 Topps Bobby Mitchell
    PSA 9 1959 Topps Jim Taylor
    PSA 9 1961 Fleer Jim Otto
    PSA 10 1961 Fleer Don Maynard
    PSA 9 1964 Philadelphia Herb Adderly
    PSA 9 1964 Philadelphia Willie Davis
    PSA 9 1964 Philadelphia Merlin Olsen
    PSA 9 1964 Philadelphia Jim Johnson
    PSA 9 1965 Philadelphia Carl Eller
    PSA 9 1965 Philadelphia Charley Taylor
    PSA 9 1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson
    PSA 9 1967 Philadelphia Dave Wilcox
    PSA 10 1970 Topps Alan Page
    PSA 10 1973 Topps Jack Ham
    PSA 10 1973 Topps Jim Langer
    PSA 10 1978 Topps John Stallworth
    PSA 10 1981 Topps Kellen Winslow
    PSA 10 1982 Topps Anthony Munoz
    PSA 10 1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor
    PSA 10 1983 Topps Mike Singletary
    PSA 10 1983 Topps Marcus Allen
    PSA 10 1984 Topps John Elway
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Howie Long
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Dan Marino
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Eric Dickerson
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Jackie Slater
    PSA 10 1985 Topps Warren Moon

Cards NEEDED that I would considering trading some of the above cards for:
    PSA 7 1935 National Chicle Dutch Clark
    PSA 5 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Sid Luckman
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Bobby Layne
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Steve Van Buren
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Bob Waterfield
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Charley Trippi
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf George Connor
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Leo Nomellini
    PSA 7 1948 Leaf Chuck Bednarik
    PSA 8 1950 Bowman Tony Canadeo
    PSA 8 1952 Bowman Large/Small Joe Stydahar
    PSA 8 1952 Bowman Large/Small Ollie Matson
    PSA 8 1957 Topps Raymond Berry
    PSA 8 1965 Topps Joe Namath
    PSA 9 1971 Topps Terry Bradshaw
    PSA 9 1971 Topps Roger Wehrli
    PSA 9 1971 Topps Charlie Sanders
    PSA 9 1971 Topps Joe Greene
    PSA 9 1972 Topps Roger Staubach

Scans of most of the cards can be seen on my set listed in my signature line below.

Thanks,
    Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Boy, theres some beautiful 48 leafs on right now....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Anyone else on here use VintageCardPrices? I know Mike does because I asked him about some prices earlier today. I decided I'd just sign up for the month at $9.99 and see what it was like and I have to say, I LOVE IT! It has some shortcomings but all in all, it's a slick tool. I have a few suggestions I'll make to them but I really like what it does so far. I'm adding my HOF collection as a group to see how I've done from a real-time portfolio perspective. I'm only through to 1970 but so far, I'm +$1500 and it didn't count a handful of cards that it didn't have prices for that I know I would be on the + side.

Pretty neat tool, especially if you have all of your records available already. I've been keeping track of what I paid for what and it's grade the date purchased and the seller since the beginning. (Well, date and seller is relatively new). I'm curious to see what it ends up at when I'm done...

Oh, I have a PSA 6 Tommy "Two-Five" McDonald available now, I just picked up a PSA 7. $25 dlvd if anyone wants it. My new best friend says the last 5 averaged $32.88. image

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I signed up for Vintage last week too to see what I should bid on my Nitschke. I paid $550 which is 50 bucks more than the previous high but I wanted the card bad and I finally had the money. Still don't have the card but it should be here soon. Scans will be coming.
  • Options
    Yep, been using VCP for a couple of months now. Saves me ALOT of time and effort vs. doing my own personal price tracking that I've been doing since 2003. My biggest complaint is that the site doesn't track auctions with BINs...Every once and awhile some cards are mis-listed but not often...All-in-all its pretty accurate and WELL worth the $$$..For me anyway..They just started tracking football back in October/November of last year...Finally starting to really populate the price database now. I have my HOF set listed there under "My Collection" as well. 27 of the cards still have no tracked price in their system, but the rest do...I'm +30K in the "Net" gain section...lol

SO glad I started this set early!lol

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    They just started tracking football back in October/November of last year...

Stupid question.... so there is no data available in football from before OCt/Nov of 2006??
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>They just started tracking football back in October/November of last year...

Stupid question.... so there is no data available in football from before OCt/Nov of 2006?? >>

In VCP? Nope..Except for the 33 Sport Kings which they started tracking with baseball in 04 or 05...

Everything in VCP for pure football sets is from around 25 Oct 06-Present...

Jason
  • Options
    I knew it didn't start tracking until end of October. But that's fine anyway. Only nice thing I can see about having that information would be to see the price gains certain cards have had. But for all intents and purposes, 10 months is a good sampling.

I did notice they have some trouble with the variations on 48 Leaf so cards like VanBuren and Bobbie Layne aren't priced. They do have some misspellings on it as well. I don't know if thats exactly how they pattern match to put in the database or not but card# 6-red is never going to show up on ebay, neither will "Bobbie "Blonde BoNber" Layne"

All in all though, it's a great site and a great feaure. I have to go finish entering my 1970-1989 stuff now. Back in a while! lol
  • Options
    Speaking of 33 Sport Kings...

Does anyone have a Grange or Thorpe for sale? My budget will allow me to entertain a PSA 3 or PSA 4. I'm also looking for the '35 Chicles for the HOF set...
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of 33 Sport Kings...

Does anyone have a Grange or Thorpe for sale? My budget will allow me to entertain a PSA 3 or PSA 4. I'm also looking for the '35 Chicles for the HOF set... >>

Nope..Have sold a couple in the past, but they don't stay in the inventory too long..lol

I have updated my currently available HOF RCs and Football Key Card set RCs on the Official NFL HOF RC thread on the Buy-Sell-Trade Sports forum...

If you see anything else you want to use that budget on let me know..lol

Jason
  • Options
    Why are people calling Bettis a 'lock' for the HoF? I'm simply asking because he was the prototypical stat compiler, and he never dominated the league to any degree:

Top 5 finishes in rushing yards: 3 (1 second, 2 thirds)
    Top 5 finishes in rushing TDs: 1 (one fourth place finish)

But he's 5th all time in yards and 10th all time in TDs.

I would think someone like Ricky Watters would be more HoF worthy than Bettis. Better yard/carry average (4.1 vs. 3.9), one of the first hybrid RBs to catch the ball out of the backfield, total yards from scrimmage about the same as Bettis'.

I'm not saying Watters is a HoFer, like I'm saying that Bettis isn't, either.
  • Options
    There is, of course, a certain amount of mystique that goes into HOF voting. Bettis had the cool nickname, The Bus. He had a ballsy running style of barreling through people, like Earl Campbell. And he went out on top, winning a Super Bowl in his last NFL game. I think all that, plus the 5th-place rushing yards distinction, will get him in. Again, there are always intangibles to consider.

As for Watters, I do think he deserves at least some HOF consideration. I don't think he should get in, but he certainly did help to redefine the RB position for guys like Tiki, who I hope gets in one day (yes, I am a Giants fan).
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Why are people calling Bettis a 'lock' for the HoF? I'm simply asking because he was the prototypical stat compiler, and he never dominated the league to any degree:

Top 5 finishes in rushing yards: 3 (1 second, 2 thirds)
    Top 5 finishes in rushing TDs: 1 (one fourth place finish)

But he's 5th all time in yards and 10th all time in TDs.

I would think someone like Ricky Watters would be more HoF worthy than Bettis. Better yard/carry average (4.1 vs. 3.9), one of the first hybrid RBs to catch the ball out of the backfield, total yards from scrimmage about the same as Bettis'.

I'm not saying Watters is a HoFer, like I'm saying that Bettis isn't, either. >>

I don't think Bettis is a "lock" either. If I had to give him a % chance, I'd put him at 80%. He comes up in 2011, the same year as Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf, Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin..I think all 4 of those guys will get in before Bettis, meaning i don't think Bettis will make it first ballot.

What puts Bettis over the top IMO, is that he was a driving force behind the great Steelers run of the late 90's early 00's...That run ended in a Super Bowl victory...Prior to him winning the ring, I think he was 50/50 chance..But 13,000+ yards, plus being one of the Steelers emotional leaders will do the trick..He's also well liked among fans and players and he has 6 Pro Bowls to show for it...He was named the Walter Payton Man of the Year for his volunteer and charity work. Don't discount things like that helping a guys HOF case, I think it obviously does.

Watters resume isn't far from Bettis on paper. 10,000+ yards, 5 Pro Bowls and a ring..I think the biggest difference is that Watters was never considered a leader or driving force on any team he every played on...He was more like T.O. in that he was typically more of a distraction than anything. In San Fran he played with Young and Rice, they were the leaders of that team..He also had the bad rep of being a ME ME ME player ON the field and not a team guy. Exactly the opposite of Bettis.

Not discounting Watters from every making the HOF, but I would say he is a longshot at best...Maybe 10-20% chances...

The funniest thing is these guys PLAYED TOGETHER at Notre Dame...lol

Jason
  • Options
    When Bettis comes up in 2011, how many guys are going to be ahead of him in rushing yards? Corey Dillon has an outside chance at surpassing him (needs 2500 yards), Edgerrin James (just over 3k), Ladanian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander (both need less than 5k yards). Would he be viewed differently if by the time his name comes around he's no longer #6 and has moved to 9 or 10?

When Monk retired, wasn't he #1 in receptions? Yet he's still out?

I don't think the football hall is as infatuated with cumulative stats as the baseball hall is. I don't think they'll look at his 13k yards and vote him in immediately, if at all.

• Options

<< <i>When Bettis comes up in 2011, how many guys are going to be ahead of him in rushing yards? Corey Dillon has an outside chance at surpassing him (needs 2500 yards), Edgerrin James (just over 3k), Ladanian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander (both need less than 5k yards). Would he be viewed differently if by the time his name comes around he's no longer #6 and has moved to 9 or 10?

When Monk retired, wasn't he #1 in receptions? Yet he's still out?

I don't think the football hall is as infatuated with cumulative stats as the baseball hall is. I don't think they'll look at his 13k yards and vote him in immediately, if at all. >>

Agreed...The 13,000 alone I don't think gets him in 5 years from now...Its the intangibles that's going to do it, but he is going to wait a few years before he does...Much like Art Monk has had to wait..Monk will likely get in eventually, and you make a valid point. At the time of his retirement Monk was considered a "LOCK" first ballot guy..But as his stats got crushed his beacon got dimmer. People started looking at his on the field performance a little closer, which honestly is borderline HOF material IMO...The same may very well happen to Bettis..Especially after the voters put in Emmitt Smith (2010), Marshall Faulk(2011) and Curtis Martin(2011) who were all leaps and bounds better on the field than Bettis.

I think he will get ALOT of support among the voters though, and will get in after a 3-5 year wait.

The next closest to making the HOF among retired RBs are Terrell Davis, Eddie George and Tiki Barber...While Davis was definitely on the same tier as the Emmitts, Marshalls and Martins, he may not have played long enough to get in. Eddie George and Tiki Barber are most definitely NOT on the same level as the guys mentioned above...If I were ranking them strictly on performance, it would look like this:

1-Emmitt Smith
    2-Marshall Faulk
    3-Curtis Martin
    4-Terrell Davis
    5-Jerome Bettis
    6-Ricky Watters
    7-Tiki Barber
    8-Eddie George

After factoring in all the pro and con issues that go with these players, this is how I would rank their HOF chances:

1-Emmitt Smith
    2-Marshall Faulk
    3-Curtis Martin
    4-Jerome Bettis
    5-Terrell Davis
    6-Tiki Barber
    7-Ricky Watters
    8-Eddie George

Jason

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Curtis Martin(2011) who were all leaps and bounds better on the field than Bettis

I'm not sure about this one, Jason. The rushing stats are almost identical (yards, ypc, and TDs). Granted, Bettis played a few years more (2), but his '95 season with the Rams was a wash (they only gave him the ball 183 times). Bettis had 6 Pro Bowls, as opposed to 5 by Martin. Bettis had the top 3 in rushing three different times and while Martin won the rushing title one year, he really didn't compete for the top three in other years. The receiving totals definitely favor Martin, but I attribute a lot of this to game conditions, team game plans late in the game, etc.

Edited to say: I'll go on record as saying that Bettis really doesn't deserve first ballot election, but I don't think Martin does either...
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Bettis is in
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    alright finally back to debates. well here is my two cents worth. after smith and faulk i dont think any of them should be first ballot hofers. they should have to wait a few years. look at the list of recently added rbs, and the rest are a good notch below. i mean, campbell, payton, sanders, thomas, smith and faulk. the others will have to wait.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>alright finally back to debates. well here is my two cents worth. after smith and faulk i dont think any of them should be first ballot hofers. >>

Curtis Martin topped the 1,000 yard mark 10 years in a row, most of the time by a decent margin too. If that doesn't make him 1st ballot hall worthy, what does? The problem is we were spoiled by some great backs recently and they are going to be stealing votes from each other when they're eligible for the HOF.

This just goes to show how much timing plays into the whole process. If Bettis and Martin were eligible for the first time in different years, there would be no debate. When an incoming group of first-time eligible players is weak, the voters obviously look closer at the players who have been eligible but not elected yet. When a stud group comes along, it changes the whole dynamic, especially if you have players from the same position vying for induction.
  • Options
    well maybe in football some of the key lifetime stats are becoming outdated. like in baseball look at how many people in the last decade and a few years to come will go over 500 HRs. with the diluted pitching in baseball its easier to get to 500 HRs. now 3000 hits still requires a long productive career. maybe in football the o-line play has gotten much better through out the league to have a larger number of backs getting to over 1000 yds.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>well maybe in football some of the key lifetime stats are becoming outdated. like in baseball look at how many people in the last decade and a few years to come will go over 500 HRs. with the diluted pitching in baseball its easier to get to 500 HRs. now 3000 hits still requires a long productive career. maybe in football the o-line play has gotten much better through out the league to have a larger number of backs getting to over 1000 yds. >>

Actually, it was the rule change of 1978 that made the biggest impact..Specifically:

-Rules changes permitted a defender to maintain contact with a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but restricted contact beyond that point. The pass-blocking rule was interpreted to permit the extending of arms and open hands.

This really changed the game into the product we see today. It opened up the pass game, therefore changing defensive schemes allowing teams to spread the field..This cleared the formerly over congested running lanes and has lead to the explosion in 1,000 yard rushers since...

Plus, the 16 game season means a player only needs to average 62.5 YPG to reach 1,000.

On Curtis Martin, when I say "leaps and bounds better on the field than Bettis" I am talking strictly what you see on the field as an RB...Watch tape of each of these guys in their prime, and Martin was CLEARLY the better all-around back. Not really taking anything away from Jerome, because he was a short yardage and TD machine. Did he ever lose yards on a play?lol..He fit perfectly into the Steelers rhythm and is why he became so successful there. Like I said earlier, in his prime he was the catalyst to everything the Steelers did on offense..But if you plugged him into every other offense in the league, he probably would have only been successful in 50% of them...C-Mart on the other hand would have been a dominant back for any team and any offense. The fact that he did it more quietly than Bettis and without as much flash and dance as Bettis doesn't take away how good the guy was year in and year out. That being said, he still might not get in first ballot..I think Deion, Roaf and Faulk are all in front of him in 2011...Very possible he and Bettis could split votes..But I never foresee a scenario where Bettis would go in BEFORE Martin..If Martin waits, Bettis just waits longer...

Take Martin's 3 best seasons vs. Bettis 3 best...

Martin--
    2004 nyj | 16 | 371 1697 4.6 12 | 41 245 6.0 2
    2001 nyj | 16 | 333 1513 4.5 10 | 53 320 6.0 0
    1995 nwe| 16 | 368 1487 4.0 14 | 30 261 8.7 1

Thats a 10 year spread BTW...

Bettis--
    1997 pit | 15 | 375 1665 4.4 7 | 15 110 7.3 2
    1996 pit | 16 | 320 1431 4.5 11 | 22 122 5.5 0
    1993 ram |16 | 294 1429 4.9 7 | 26 244 9.4 0

That's a 5 year spread..Bettis never really had a dominant season after 1997..2000 was the only other time in his last 8 seasons that he finished in the TOP 10 in rushing yards...This is why he is viewed a little more as an accumulator than Curtis Martin is..Martin was still dominating as recently as 2004...In fact, had his BEST season in 2004...

Just my opinion of course,
    Jason
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    This is a nice debate. I'm going to throw this out there, too. During Bettis's years with the Steelers, Kordell Stewart had 32 rushing TDs. I know 'Slash' helped opened up the field for Bettis sometimes, but this surely cut into Bettis's TD totals. He may have ended up 3rd all time if he got a little more than half of those Stewart rushing TDs.
  • Options
    While he may have lost some TDs to Kordell, that didn't detract from his YPC, or his inability to get his overall yardage up. Bettis was a fine back, but to me, to reward a guy who was above average for a really long time with a HoF induction sends the wrong signal.

To me, Martin was light years ahead of Bettis.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curtis Martin is a first ballot lock for the HOF, and sentiment aside, was a much better all-around, more dominant back than Jerome Bettis, hands down.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Curtis Martin is a first ballot lock for the HOF, and sentiment aside, was a much better all-around, more dominant back than Jerome Bettis, hands down. >>

I think he is a lock for induction, but first ballot? Not so sure..

Do you think he will go in ahead of Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf or Marshall Faulk? There's only 6 slots and 2 of them usually go to the Senior candidates..So basically 4 modern guys per year. It would be unprecedented to have FOUR first ballot HOFers in the same year..Any other year and I would agree, first ballot..I think he might haver to wait until 2012...

Jason
  • Options
    c martin was good but i dont think first ballot unless the field was weak.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be unprecedented to have FOUR first ballot HOFers in the same year..Any other year and I would agree, first ballot..I think he might haver to wait until 2012...

I'd be inclined to agree with that. I do think that any other year he'd be a first ballot lock, but in a very strong field, he may have to wait a year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I was the underbidder on the PSA 5 Bednarik. What a beautiful card. I don't believe ive ever seen one centered better......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I did win this though. I love the nicely centered leafs....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Good looking card Dave, congratulations on that!! Who doesn't love the old 48's.

joe
  • Options
    That Walker is a nice looking card. I love how the red pops off the yellow background. That Bednarik was in my sights until about $800. I knew it would go over that but I had my fingers crossed. Sure was a great looking 5. Someday....

Nice pickup Dave. Don't suppose you need a PSA 5 Van Buren to go with it? image
  • Options
    i would be interested in the van buren if it is centered well. I have a 4 now.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Just did my monthly POP report check of the HOF RCs and quite a few amazing new cards out there. Some we have seen on ebay, others haven't shown up just yet. Its actually been about 6 weeks since I last checked them, but here's whats new:

One of each of the following was graded since Memorial Day weekend..

PSA 8 1948 Leaf George Connor
    PSA 9 1963 Fleer Nick Bouniconti
    PSA 8 1963 Topps Bob Lilly
    PSA 9 1965 Philadelphia Mel Renfro
    PSA 9 1968 Topps Bob Griese
    PSA 10 1970 Topps Tom Mack
    PSA 10 1972 Topps John Riggins
    PSA 10 1972 Topps Ron Yary
    PSA 10 1973 Topps Art Shell (1st ever)
    PSA 10 1976 Topps Jack Lambert
    PSA 10 1979 Topps Earl Campbell

Be interesting to see if some of these shake out on to the market. I think the Lambert and Riggins were already on ebay.

Jason
  • Options
    Hello my name is Bobby and I own and operate VintageCardPrices

Just found this thread and wanted to chime in on the comments. First of all thanks for all the compliments and we are trying very hard to make the site the best it can possible be for the members.

I am more of a baseball person and football cards are new to me so it is a constant work in progress. The 48 Leaf set is a complex set and I am always changing it up to try and get all of the different variations. On every page is a "Report a Problem" link, click on it and tell us what is wrong and we will fix it for you in minutes.

We launched Football in September 06 and do have some data on a few of the sets going back earlier. In regards to BIN sales we feel that in most cases they are over priced and they are bought by people who can not wait for a auction format. And are not a true indication of the value. We have a few changes coming very soon to the site that will address the BIN sales for the members.

Look forward to your comments and hope to meet you at the National in Cleveland, we will be in booth #158

• Options

<< <i>Hello my name is Bobby and I own and operate VintageCardPrices

Just found this thread and wanted to chime in on the comments. First of all thanks for all the compliments and we are trying very hard to make the site the best it can possible be for the members.

I am more of a baseball person and football cards are new to me so it is a constant work in progress. The 48 Leaf set is a complex set and I am always changing it up to try and get all of the different variations. On every page is a "Report a Problem" link, click on it and tell us what is wrong and we will fix it for you in minutes.

We launched Football in September 06 and do have some data on a few of the sets going back earlier. In regards to BIN sales we feel that in most cases they are over priced and they are bought by people who can not wait for a auction format. And are not a true indication of the value. We have a few changes coming very soon to the site that will address the BIN sales for the members.

Look forward to your comments and hope to meet you at the National in Cleveland, we will be in booth #158 >>

Bobby, thanks for chiming in..I for one use the site daily...

As far as BINs go, my issue is that any listing that has an available BIN doesn't get tracked. For example, Card "A" is listed with a $9.99 opening bid and a $30.00 BIN. Once someone places a $9.99 bid, the BIN disappears...Therefore the auction runs its course as a regular auction. These items don't get tracked in VCP.

This probably accounts for a low percentage all auctions but does cause the site to miss a few.

Best of luck and keep up the great work,
    Jason
  • Options
    Jasp24,

Agreed and we are addressing this issue and will have it taken care of in the very near future. We have some great new features coming on line hopefully before the National next month.

Bobby
  • Options
    I plan on using the site down the road, but can honestly say, I don't know much about it. I want to wait until there are more football card prices to justify paying 10 bucks a month. Is there a free trial period?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I plan on using the site down the road, but can honestly say, I don't know much about it. I want to wait until there are more football card prices to justify paying 10 bucks a month. Is there a free trial period?

Dave >>

Dave, the football stuff is getting pretty well populated with results. They will hit 1 year on prices in September/October time frame. Of course some cards havent been listed in the past year, but very few.

Once you sign up you won't be able to turn it off..lol..So be prepared for the long haul...

The wishlists work great too..In the rare cases I miss an ebay listing on something I need, I get an e-mail from VCP alerting me to the card.

Jason
  • Options
    I assume the site covers all PSA graded cards including low grades-- (PSA 1, 2, 3......?)

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I assume the site covers all PSA graded cards including low grades-- (PSA 1, 2, 3......?)

Dave >>

Yep..As well as all SGC, GAI and BVG half grades..

Jason
  • Options
    You can do a search for each grade individual grade of Ex. Jim Brown 1958 PSA 7, but if your looking for anything within psa 5 to 9, you have to create a search for each individual grade which can be very time consuming . It would be nice to just do a search for Jim Brown PSA and be able to see all grades found under Jim Brown.
    But if you take the time to set up your searches, it just works GREAT !
  • Options

<< <i>You can do a search for each grade individual grade of Ex. Jim Brown 1958 PSA 7, but if your looking for anything within psa 5 to 9, you have to create a search for each individual grade which can be very time consuming . It would be nice to just do a search for Jim Brown PSA and be able to see all grades found under Jim Brown.
    But if you take the time to set up your searches, it just works GREAT ! >>

When I type in "Brown" as a search, it brings up ALL the Browns that ever played in the NFL. If I click Jim Brown, it brings up every mainstram Jim Brown card ever made, to include the 1958 Topps. If I click the 1958 Topps Jim Brown, it shows the sales of every grade for every service (PSA, SGC, GAI, BVG). You click on the grade (say PSA 7) and it shows the sales of all PSA 7 1958 Jim Brown cards in the past 9-10 months.

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 7 - Last 5 Sales Average Price: $477.60

Date Auction Auction Link Price Extra
    5/27/07 eBay View Auction $521.00

3/31/07 eBay View Auction $455.00

3/22/07 eBay View Auction $460.00

2/24/07 eBay View Auction $492.00

2/22/07 eBay View Auction $460.00

12/30/06 eBay View Auction $521.55

12/11/06 eBay View Auction $475.00

12/10/06 eBay View Auction $416.11

11/26/06 eBay View Auction $430.00

11/26/06 eBay View Auction $440.11

11/10/06 eBay View Auction $486.00

11/6/06 eBay View Auction $455.00

10/31/06 eBay View Auction $481.77

10/31/06 eBay View Auction $510.00

10/25/06 eBay View Auction $450.00

• Options
    VCP is fantastic. I am on it almost daily as well. There are some things I would like to see added and now that I see they are posting here, well all the better! Maybe someone wants to make an official "PSA Set Registry - VCP Request Thread". image

Oh wait, they have forums over there don't they... maybe not such a great idea then.
  • Options
    I was watching the 10 Most Versatile Players in NFL History on the NFL Network the other night. Sammy Baugh was # 1. What impressed me most is that Steve Sabol said that he still to this day might consider Slingin' Sammy the best football player ever. Mighty high praise. So I went to check some of his stats and both the HOF website and Wikipedia have him as still ticking at age 93. Wow, is this true???
  • Options
    We welcome requests and ideas for the site and have implemented a few of them so far to date. If you know us you will find we are very responsive and quick to make the adjustments, customer service is a priority. After all it is the members that use the system to its full extent and can tell us more about what we need or don't need.

Thanks for the compliments and just tell us what you want...

Bobby Binder
    VintageCardPrices
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the compliments and just tell us what you want... >>

Thanks, how bout free service....image

But seriously, is there a free trial period?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    A lot of the features are free...your want list with email alerts, organize your collection any way you want and it will give you costs, print out your want lists to take to shows nice and organized, and much more...The only thing is if you want the values you will have to be a paying member. We ran a special last November where any non-paying Limited members that created a Want List or My Collection got a free VIP upgrade for 2 weeks. Not sure if we are going to do that again but you never know. If you are a paying member or not there are a lot of features of the site that will be beneficial for you as a collector.

Bobby
  • Options
    anyone have opinions or experince crossing over a GAI 9 to a psa holder? this would be for a modern card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's