Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I think Nobis too but my heart says Dave Robinson. But I believe it is L.C.'s year.

So my picks are Nobis and Greenwood.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree on Greenwood. Not sure on the other one. Maybe Harold Jackson? image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Some food for thought..For those that don't know, of the 15 (now 17) finalists each year, the committee votes more than once during the election day meeting, and at each vote, the roster of players is cut down until they get to a final 6 that they must vote yes or no on. This basically shows you how far each finalist got in the voting process.

Here are how the last 5 MODERN HOF votes went among the finalists...

2003:
    15-11 cut: Ken Stabler, Art Monk, Lester Hayes, Ralph Wilson
    11-7 cut: Randy Gradishar, Claude Humphrey, Bob Kuechenberg, Gary Zimmerman
    Rejected in final 7: Harry Carson, George Young
    Inductees: James Lofton, Marcus Allen, Elvin Bethea, Joe DeLamielleure, Hank Stram*

-=-=-=-=-=-
    2004:
    15-10 cut: Lester Hayes, Jim Marshall, Art Monk, Gary Zimmerman, George Young
    10-6 cut: Harry Carson, Richard Dent, Cliff Harris, Bob Kuechenberg
    Rejected in final 6: Bob Hayes*, Rayfield Wright
    Inductees: Bob Brown*, Carl Eller, John Elway, Barry Sanders

-=-=-=-=-=-
    2005:
    15-10 cut: Richard Dent, Claude Humphrey, Bob Kuechenberg, Roger Wehrli, George Young
    10-6 cut: L.C. Greenwood, Russ Grimm, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas
    Rejected in final 6: Michael Irvin, Harry Carson
    Inductees: Dan Marino, Steve Young, Fritz Pollard*, Benny Friedman*

-=-=-=-=-=-
    2006:
    15-10 cut: L.C. Greenwood, Russ Grimm, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas, Gary Zimmerman
    10-6 cut: Claude Humphrey, Michael Irvin, Bob Kuechenberg, Thurman Thomas
    Rejected in final 6: none
    Inductees: Troy Aikman, Harry Carson, John Madden*, Warren Moon, Reggie White, Rayfield Wright*

-=-=-=-=-=-
    2007:
    17-11 cut: Russ Grimm, Ray Guy, Bob Kuechenberg, Andre Reed, Paul Tagliabue, Gary Zimmerman
    11-6 cut: Fred Dean, Richard Dent, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas, Andre Tippett
    Rejected in final 6: none
    Inductees: Gene Hickerson*, Michael Irvin, Bruce Matthews, Charlie Sanders*, Thurman Thomas, Roger Wehrli

Looking at these lists, you have Claude Humphrey, Jim Marshall, Cliff Harris, and LC Greenwood who are all now Senior Candidates. Of these 4, here's their breakdown over the last 5 years in the voting:

Made it past the first cut down to the final 10 or 11--
    Humphrey- 2 times out of 3 finalist apperances
    Greenwood- 1 time out of 2 finalist apperances
    Harris- 1 time out of 1 finalist apperances
    Marshall- 0 times out of 1 finalist apperances

The only possible way Greenwood will go in over Humphrey IMO is if Nobis gets selected. No way they would put 2 Falcons through the same year. But head-to-head in the most recent voting of 2006, Humphrey made the cut in front of Greenwood. I went with Harris because I think Humphrey is pound-for-pound the stronger candidate than Greenwood and should go in before Greenwood. Doesn't mean he will of course..lol

None of these Seniors were eligible as a modern candidate in the Class of 2007...2004 was the final year of eligibility for Harris and Marshall...2006 the last year for Greenwood and Humphrey..So as you can see, the voters really like to take long looks at guys in their last years as modern candidates. Such is the case this year for Bob Kuechenberg, Randy Gradishar and Drew Pearson. If you haven't already got a Kuechenberg rookie, you better find one soon! I think he's a near lock this year.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Woohoo! After being outplayed for some time now, I'm finally back in the top 20.

Cliff Harris and Bob Hayes are my guess for Seniors.
  • Very interesting post Jason, I never knew that info was avail to the public....or maybe it isn't lol. Either way, thanks for posting.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Brian on the top 20 ranking. My long term goal is just to stay in the top 20. Well just see..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Just got my grades on the Atkins and Dawson. WOO HOO!

$13/5 Day Submission...

Paid $13 for the Atkins off ebay.
    Paid $100 for the Dawson a local show a couple weeks back. I did well with that one. image

1 1954 BOWMAN 4 DOUG ATKINS N/A 6
    2 1963 FLEER 47 LEN DAWSON N/A 8

Date Received: 07/13/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: 07/20/2007
    Date Shipped: 07/20/2007
  • Josh
    Nice one man, seriously nice pull on the Dawson. I know youve been looking for one of those. Congrats

Jason, great info on the HOF, I didnt know that was available as well. Constantly amazing us wtih the stats you find. Is there a site you found those at?

joe
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1 31871789 1948 BOWMAN 36 BULLDOG TURNER N/A 5 from Ebay
    2 31871790 1957 TOPPS 15 JACK BUTLER N/A 7 ..... from Nearmint
    3 31871791 1959 TOPPS 36 GENE LIPSCOMB N/A 7 ..... from Ebay
    3 31871792 1959 TOPPS 36 GENE LIPSCOMB N/A 6 ...... from sportslots
    4 31871793 1970 TOPPS 95 RICH JACKSON N/A 9 ...... from Nearmint pop 4 none higher
    5 31871794 1971 TOPPS 233 LEMAR PARRISH N/A 8 ...... from Ebay pop 18 none higher .....can't believe no 9's or 10's
    >>

Great eye, Vince!
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Crossed this one over from a BGS 9...

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    page turn?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    where are the new posts to this thread ending up?? I cant see any after nearmints on 7/21??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>where are the new posts to this thread ending up?? I cant see any after nearmints on 7/21?? >>

Maybe 78 pages is the max? I replaced the 78 with 79 in the URL and found the new posts.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    no when i hit the button to go to the last page i get the new posts.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    go to your personal settings and adjust the number of posts you see displayed on one page to like 50. this thread for me is only 32 pages long with those settings
    I have that same issue...

BTW....Nice tomlinson!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    yes that is a nice one. mine should be sitting at the PO right now. Picked up the slip out of my PO box last night. Wont be able to claim it until Sat AM!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>yes that is a nice one. mine should be sitting at the PO right now. Picked up the slip out of my PO box last night. Wont be able to claim it until Sat AM!!! >>

Thanks for the compliments on the Tomlinson. How come you can't get your mail until Saturday?
    I have my cards come to a PO box due to the curb side collection in my neighborhood. the area is nice but I really dont want that much cash just sitting on the curb. I live in the surburbs of Chicago and take the train downtown to work everyday. That means that I leave home around 6:30 AM and return aroudn 6:30 PM. So either way I wouldnt be able to go claim the package at the PO until Sat or a day off.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    All,

I forgot where we ended up w/ Rodney Harrison. Is he a HOF candidate?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>All,

I forgot where we ended up w/ Rodney Harrison. Is he a HOF candidate?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

IMO, not even close...As far as Safeties go ALONE, he is well behind current candidates Steve At-water, Leroy Butler, Donnie Shell and Kenny Easley...As far as ACTIVE Safeties go, he is well behind John Lynch and Brian Dawkins...

If he could put in 2-3 more Pro Bowl type seasons he might start sneaking into this group...Until then, that is a mighty long line and half of those guys will never get in..At-water didn't even make the Semi-finals last year and he is the best of the entire group..Not to mention Safety is a tough position to get HOF recognition anyway...

Jason
    Tick tick tick.

Curtis Martin has retired. The five year ticker has started for the first ballot HOF?

<< <i>Tick tick tick.

Curtis Martin has retired. The five year ticker has started for the first ballot HOF? >>

If I'm not mistaken, it started after his last game played, so he would have only 4 years to go.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>Tick tick tick.

Curtis Martin has retired. The five year ticker has started for the first ballot HOF? >>

Actually his HOF clock was already ticking..Since he wasn't on an active roster last season, he will become eligible in 2011 along with Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf and Jerome Bettis...Based on his competition that year, I could see him slipping to the 2nd ballot. It would be unprecedented to have 4 first ballot HOFers in the same year.

Jason

<< <i>

<< <i>Tick tick tick.

Actually his HOF clock was already ticking..Since he wasn't on an active roster last season, he will become eligible in 2011 along with Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf and Jerome Bettis...Based on his competition that year, I could see him slipping to the 2nd ballot. It would be unprecedented to have 4 first ballot HOFers in the same year.

Jason >>

I say precedent it! imageimage

<< <i>

I say precedent it! imageimage >>

Curtis Martin should have taken just one handoff this year, to make things easier on the voters in 2011. image Talk about a tough call. I would imagine Roaf and Deion will get in no question, since they aren't stealing votes from each other. I can't see at least 2 of those RBs not going in, and honestly, all 3 are pretty much equally deserving, and for various reasons. if I HAD to rank them, I'd go Faulk, Martin, Bettis. But I don't think there's much debate that all of them will end up in Canton sooner rather than later.
    I'm thinking I should book my tickets to Canton for Bettis somewhere between 2012-2014. He 'should' be next in line after Faulk and Martin get their due...
    Vintagecardprices emailed this to me the other night.

Wow what a card. $9500 with 20 days to go.
    The next year- 2012, the only current viable candidates are Will Shields and to a lesser extent Tiki Barber. Neither of those guys are first ballot locks, so 2012 will see Bettis and Curtis Martin elected if Martin doesn't get in the Class of 2011.

Still remains to be seen if Morten Andersen, Junior Seau, Jonathan Ogden and Corey Dillon suit up this season. If not, any of these guys would become 2012 candidates...Seau would be 100% first ballot, and Ogden is likely a first ballot as well..Morten Andersen is a lock to get in, but will probably take a couple of tries and Dillon is a longshot, much like Tiki Barber...

Jason
    That's gotta be a $20-25k card no?

What a beauty!
    Has this thread died??? No posts in 4 days. thats gotta be a record. Anyway, here is my most recent purchase..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Nice card Dave! Looks nicer than my 7 which has fish-eyes on it.
    Very nice Freddy 8. Congrats!

• << <i>That's gotta be a $20-25k card no?

What a beauty! >>

You think thats a $20,000 card, Starr 9? Seriously? I had no idea. I was thinking $13k or so.

Imagine collecting baseball where 20K would be the price on half your collection.....

I agree that the Starr 9 will be a lot closer to $10,000 - $15,000 than $20,000 - $25,000. Then again, you never know with us crazy football card collectors! I don't see anyone from the HOF rookies set buying it though.

<< <i>Very nice Freddy 8. Congrats! >>

Thanks....I wish it was an 8....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Last PSA 9 Closed around $30k. In fact, it might still be listed in the SMR at the bottom of the '57's.

I figured this one, even with the popularity would be a little cheaper just based on the pop increase.
    Is this a good price? Seems like a steal to get a 34 year old HOF RC in PSA 9 for $30? What is the going rate for these??

Dave

Link

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Is this a good price? Seems like a steal to get a 34 year old HOF RC in PSA 9 for $30? What is the going rate for these??

Dave

Link >>

Yeah, thats descent...Low end of the price range..I've seen a few sell cheaper, but typically $40-$60 range...

This is a great week to pick up some rookies..I've gotten a couple of really nice deals myself..

Jason
    That's a good deal. Congrats.

I just picked this up tonight. If I can get it into a PSA 9 holder, I'll be ecstatic for the price.

LT Chrome
    Another nice score Dave. Part of what keeps the price down for 9's is the fact that there are 21 Langer 10's. TWENTY ONE. I'm amazed at how high that number is.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Dave,
    You got that Langer for a great price. I didn't like the l-r centering near the top of the card, so I just opened the auction with a nominal bid and forgot to follow up on it. They usually sell for $55-80 range so you made a great buy. Congrats!

Rich
    Thanks Rich! I didn't realize I won it from a board member..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>Thanks Rich! I didn't realize I won it from a board member..

dave >>

Ahem, Hickerson 8 Dave image

joe
    yah....I dont know when I sell to a board member either....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    my bgs 9 crossed to a PSA 9 after a crack out!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Rich! I didn't realize I won it from a board member..

dave >>

No Dave, you misunderstood my post. I wasn't the seller of the Langer card. I threw down the opening bid on it and then didn't make a follow up bid. So I missed when it ended.

Good buy on your part.

I mentioned what they have sold for in the past because I once
    sold a 9 for $80 and a 10 for $225.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on my first post.

<< <i>my bgs 9 crossed to a PSA 9 after a crack out!!! >>

You did a crack and submit not a crossover, correct?

Er...what I mean to say was, did you try a crossover first and it failed or did you crack it out for the first attempt?
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Is $600 too much for a high grade, 50/50 centered PSA 8 Staubach rookie? It seems reasonable to me.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg