Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    lol Dave, I know. I actually saw you were ahead of me before I added my Len Dawson PSA 8. I've got those upgrades going in as well as a Len Ford PSA 8 and a McAfee PSA 6. Just added a Bruce Matthews PSA 10 that I've been looking for as well. image I'd like to pass Eric for #14.
  • lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    There is a Bradshaw PSA 10 rookie in the upcoming Mastro auction. Any guesses as to where it ends? I'll say $19500

Chad
    I don't even know what a PSA 10 71 Topps card would look like. I've seen some 8's that looked like they were dripping wet. I bet a 10 is amazing.

Dave, I think I just put some more space between us and I've got a couple more upgrades going in tomorrow hopefully. I added the PSA 8 Len Ford and traded for a PSA 8 Griese (Upgrade from my 7) and a PSA 9 Steve Young (Upgrade from my 8). I think my deal for the Clark 5 and Jurgensen 8 fell through.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickups--- It's going to be tougher and tougher for me to move up the charts. I have quite a few I want to upgrade but I keep spending all my cash. I will hit a wall soon....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I say between $15,000 and $20,000 for the TB 10.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Another article on HOF snubs...2008 Senior selections should be coming out within the next couple of weeks..

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Biggest Snubs
    By Brad Oremland

The All-Snub Team
    Having acknowledged that some positions actually have too many members in the Canton, here is my All-Snub Team, listing the best eligible player not in the Hall of Fame at every position.

First Team

QB Ken Anderson
    RB Terrell Davis
    FB Daryl Johnston
    WR Art Monk
    WR Bob Hayes
    TE Todd Christensen
    C Dermontti Dawson
    G Russ Grimm
    G Jerry Kramer
    OT Gary Zimmerman
    OT Joe Jacoby

DT Curley Culp
    DT Alex Karras
    DE Rich Jackson
    DE Chris Doleman
    OLB Chuck Howley
    OLB Chris Hanburger
    ILB Randy Gradishar
    CB Lester Hayes
    CB Lemar Parrish
    FS Cliff Harris
    SS Kenny Easley

K Mark Moseley
    P Tommy Davis
    ST Steve Tasker

Coach Clark Shaughnessy
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>Congrats on the pickups--- It's going to be tougher and tougher for me to move up the charts. I have quite a few I want to upgrade but I keep spending all my cash. I will hit a wall soon....

Dave >>

I too would have a way better set if only the cards didn't cost so much. image The money runs out before the cards do. Seems everytime I'm broke, 6 cards I've been waiting to buy show up on ebay and I have to watch someone else grab them. Speaking of which, I haven't seen melomelissa buying anything up lately.
    It's funny how these baby's eat up so much money.....Actually, Now that I think about it, its not that funny.image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Just won this on ebay. An 8 Maybe???? I will be happy with a 7 to upgrade my 6...We shall see

Any 8's listed on VCP?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    That's a nice pickup, Dave. I think the centering's within standards for an 8, though you might have to submit it a few times to get it in an 8 holder. Unless there's something we can't see on the scan, I can't see it coming back anything other than a 7 or 8, with a (very) outside chance for an oc qualifier
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Looks like I'm going to be sending another batch in for the $13/5 day special..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I won this one also......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Sorry to hijack, but I have a card for sale that is worth the intrusion. I now have a PSA 10 #315 Tony Dorsett Rookie available. I will most likely put it on Ebay if I dont get a very strong offer but feel free to make one. No PM's please. Email me at ssgunnip@yahoo.com

Thanks HOF Collectors!

<< <i>Sorry to hijack, but I have a card for sale that is worth the intrusion. I now have a PSA 10 #315 Tony Dorsett Rookie available. I will most likely put it on Ebay if I dont get a very strong offer but feel free to make one. No PM's please. Email me at ssgunnip@yahoo.com

Thanks HOF Collectors! >>

Most definitely worth posting!!!!!

That is one TOUGH HOF RC...124 PSA 9s and just 2 PSA 10s...Is this one freshly graded/will be #3? I know, or at least though I knew who owned the first 2 PSA 10's..

E-mail sent...

Congrats!
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • 5 SKINS on your snub team Jason ,man we get no respect image
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Last sale for Leroy Kelly PSA 8 was on 5/16/07-$861.89!!!
    Last sale for Tommy Nobis PSA 8 was on 4/16/07-$98.89

Hope that helps...

Mark
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Let me throw out this name...Dick LeBeau. Any chance of him making it? Tied for 7th all time in interceptions (62) and has been a defensive mastermind in his coaching career.

<< <i>Let me throw out this name...Dick LeBeau. Any chance of him making it? Tied for 7th all time in interceptions (62) and has been a defensive mastermind in his coaching career. >>

He does get some mention in the Senior committee each year. He's one of those guys like Charlie Sanders..Name has been kicked around for awhile, had a good career, but doesn't SCREAM HOFer...I think he's probably a long shot, but so was Sanders.

Jason
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    After reading through stats recently, the two DB's that really deserve to be in the Hall are Donnie Shell and Ken Riley. Has Shell ever been a finalist?

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Jason,

Do you have a list of the Senior Finalists? The 2 candidates should be chosen very soon.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>After reading through stats recently, the two DB's that really deserve to be in the Hall are Donnie Shell and Ken Riley. Has Shell ever been a finalist?

Greg M. >>

Shell has been a finalist in the past..Like 2002 maybe?

These guys are good, but for me, many others more deserving at SS and CB than Shell and Riley...

No list of Senior finalists yet. I'm going to make a couple of calls today and see if I can get my hands on it. The Senior Committee is meeting either this weekend or next weekend to select the 2 Senior Candidates. Its possible they won't know the Senior Finalists until they show up in Canton, but usually they are "known" about a week in advance of the selections.

Jason
  • Anyone know shoppinglucy's contact info? Email me at ssgunnip@yahoo.com
  • I like the list you posted, but a couple really stand out for me personally.

Tommy Davis over Ray Guy I don't know what the guy was thinking . In my opion Ray Guy changed the Position and the fact that he's on the 75th Anv. team speaks volumes.

Dawson over Mick Tingelhoff at Center. 7 straight Pro Bowl nods and 4 Super Bowls - if he wins one of those he's already in the Hall.

1964 Philadelphia Mick Tingelhoff PSA 10
    myurl

I would love a 1974 Ray Guy psa 9 ?
  • Yak,

WOW ! that Tinglehoff is Amazing !! (thanks for posting)

I'm betting on him getting in this year

Gabbs
  • Yak/Dan,

I would sell you my 9 Guy that used to be your 8, LOL, but Jon already got it.

Scott
  • That's funny Scott, I told you that card was nice when I sold it to you. It only took me 5 years to get my Willie Brown PSA8 , so I guess I can be patient on my Ray Guy PSA 9.

I guess I will share my newest purchase

1964 Herb Adderley PSA 10 1 of 2 I'm pretty sure Mosh has the other Adderley and Tingelhoff !

myurl

<< <i>That's funny Scott, I told you that card was nice when I sold it to you. It only took me 5 years to get my Willie Brown PSA8 , so I guess I can be patient on my Ray Guy PSA 9.

I guess I will share my newest purchase

1964 Herb Adderley PSA 10 1 of 2 I'm pretty sure Mosh has the other Adderley and Tingelhoff !

myurl >>

Dan, congrats on the new pickup..Both of those 1964 Philly PSA 10's are gorgeous!

Jason
    There were about three PSA 9 Ray Guy rookies on eBay a little over a year ago. They all came in succession - and there hasn't been one since. Tough to find that card centered.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Jason,
    Great list as usual. I would change the center to Tinglehoff too. Where's Jim Tyrer at Tackle? I realize they only have slots for two tackles so it's tough to narrow it down. It looks like many on this list could be getting in the Hall in the next 10 years if things roll out the right way. I certainly hope many of them finally make it there. Some have waited far too long to be inducted.

They might want to add Bucko Kilroy as miscellaneous: player, scout, administrator. 60 years of NFL experience helps.

Great list however.

Keep bringing us these fine HOF debating threads.

Are you sure you don't secretly work for the HOF undercover?

Rich

edited, I thought Jason came up with this list. Another guy did.
  • Whats even funnier is that Guy card was originally in a GAI or BGS 7.5 I think. So Dan got it bumped to an 8 after several tries then he sold it to me. I looked at it over and over and thought it could be a 9. I finally sent it in after months and it came back a 9 on the first try. It was a review, not a raw pop. Moral of the story is never give up.

<< <i>

Great list however.

Rich

edited, I thought Jason came up with this list. Another guy did. >>

Nope, that one wasn't mine, but I thought it was a pretty solid list..I wish I worked at the HOF...Maybe after I retire..Wait, its in Ohio, nevermind..lol

Here's my own personal All-Snub team. Remembering that to call someone a "snub" means that they truly belong in the HOF but just havent gotten in yet...

QB Ken Stabler
    RB Terrell Davis
    FB NONE SNUBBED
    WR Art Monk
    WR Bob Hayes
    TE Todd Christensen
    C Mick Tingelhoff
    G Bob Kuechenberg
    G Jerry Kramer
    OT Gary Zimmerman
    OT Jim Tyrer

DT Alex Karras
    DT Gene Lipscomb
    DE Claude Humphrey
    DE Richard Dent
    OLB Derrick Thomas
    OLB Chris Hanburger
    ILB Tommy Nobis
    CB Lester Hayes
    CB Jack Butler
    FS Cliff Harris
    SS LeRoy Butler

K NONE SNUBBED
    P Ray Guy
    ST NONE SNUBBED

Coach Clark Shaughnessy

Just landed a bunch of HOF and Future HOF upgrades. I've got some for sale / trade over on the BST board.

Well, we're up to 68 registered sets now. I see a new guy joined us too and jumped into the #12 spot. "Doc's HOF RC's" - Welcome to the set. I was all excited to jump to #14 here in the next couple of days and now I'm going to move back into #15 where I just was. D'oh!

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I like your list, but its hard to say that LeRoy Butler has been snubbed. This will be his first year he is eligible (sp?). I am sure he will get in rather soon. But I do agree that he does seem to get snubbed over some of the current players at SS. How soon we forget that he is one of the guys that helped change the SS position. To a player that can help in run support, blitz, play coverage, and call the defense. The last is one of his best traits.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Great list however.

Rich

edited, I thought Jason came up with this list. Another guy did. >>

Nope, that one wasn't mine, but I thought it was a pretty solid list..I wish I worked at the HOF...Maybe after I retire..Wait, its in Ohio, nevermind..lol

Here's my own personal All-Snub team. Remembering that to call someone a "snub" means that they truly belong in the HOF but just havent gotten in yet...

QB Ken Stabler
    RB Terrell Davis
    FB NONE SNUBBED
    WR Art Monk
    WR Bob Hayes
    TE Todd Christensen
    C Mick Tingelhoff
    G Bob Kuechenberg
    G Jerry Kramer
    OT Gary Zimmerman
    OT Jim Tyrer

DT Alex Karras
    DT Gene Lipscomb
    DE Claude Humphrey
    DE Richard Dent
    OLB Derrick Thomas
    OLB Chris Hanburger
    ILB Tommy Nobis
    CB Lester Hayes
    CB Jack Butler
    FS Cliff Harris
    SS LeRoy Butler

K NONE SNUBBED
    P Ray Guy
    ST NONE SNUBBED

Coach Clark Shaughnessy >>

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Josh.....Congrats on moving up, then down again...image

Ps.....Love your Alworth, Where'd ya find this one? Its a beaut....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Nabbed it on a BIN for $200 from Champs & Bums. I just added or upgraded 5 more cards about 10 minutes ago (Thanks Joe!) and I've got 4 more incoming, including a PSA 8 Jurgensen, PSA 5 Dutch Clark, PSA 8 Herb Adderly and a PSA 10 Marcus Allen. Very happy with my additions and upgrades lately. I'm hoping to add either the Ditka or some Chicles next. I'll have to see how much $$$ I have left when I get back from Tahoe. image
    I'll give you $250 for it....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    LOL. I've posted 3 times on the BST board with no luck and bid on 3 that showed up on ebay in the last year or so and I couldn't get one. Just on a whim I did a search on ebay and they had posted it about an hour earlier. I had to look at it 3x to make sure I wasn't seeing things and wasn't missing something before I hit the BIN. I wanted an 8 but they're going $500 and sometimes over that so a 7 is gonna have to do for a while. image
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Dear Fellow HOF Rookie Collectors…..

I have been a life long football card collector and in the past couple of years have decided to join you in the HOF Rookie Card quest. Let me first say that after reviewing the PSA Set Registry I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for those of you who have assembled some absolutely stunning sets. Congratulations to you.

My fiancé, eBay user ID: melomelisa (whom I’m sure you recognize), recently discovered this link. I have been following your entries the past few weeks and I have enjoyed the discussions. I even noticed a recent comment one of you posted regarding the lack of melomelisa activity on eBay. Since I know some of you guys are married and would understand this, my recent slow-down on eBay is a direct result of my girlfriend becoming a fiancé (however, I’m not done buying yet).

I just received some cards back from PSA, and on Sunday 8/12/07 I finally began posting my set. I still have several cards to list but should have all cards posted in the next week or so.

My true passion, since I was born and raised in Green Bay, is the Packers. I have collected virtually everything Packer related since I was a kid, particularly cards. Several of my HOF cards came from my own collection I’ve had since I was little.

I look forward to joining your discussions and sincerely hope that you welcome me into your fraternity.

Go Pack!
    Doc
    I am so glad I get to be the first to say this...

What's up Doc? image

Welcome to the HOF rookies set. It's a blast to collect, and even more fun to shoot the breeze with fellow collectors. Just plan to become addicted to it - because you will! And congrats on the engagement.

Andy
    20Barry20
  • Ahhhh, Melomelisa revealed!!!

Welcome aboard Doc, we've been expecting you.

Absolutely great set of cards you have been buying up.

joe
    That is too funny! I'm pretty sure that comment was from me. image

Welcome aboard! Although I say that with a bit of regret as I was poised to move into the #14 spot. You could have waited just one more day to post your set and let me know what that #14 spot felt like for just a short time... Sheesh. image

Great looking set and I've been waiting to see you arrive. I knew you'd make a big splash based on the stuff you were buying.

Congrats on the engagement. My wifes ring is finally paid off but now I have the new baby. It never ends.

Again, welcome to the set and we always welcome new members. It means more competition, but it also mean more cards are graded, more upgrades get posted for us and hey, more competition means better prices whenever we sell anything. It's a good thing all the way around.
    Welcome DOC...Glad to have you on board.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Doc. Check out the Community boards for a Thread dedicated to the Packers, their collectors and fans.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jason inspired me...so I finally rescanned all my HOF rc cards. Check out the scans of the front and back of every card.

Regards,

Greg M.

HOF RC set

References:

<< <i>Jason inspired me...so I finally rescanned all my HOF rc cards. Check out the scans of the front and back of every card.

Regards,

Greg M.

HOF RC set >>

Very nice touch adding the backs...A++..lol

Jason
    FYI for all interested...Azvike (#6 on the NFL HOF RC Set) is selling off his collection. He is currently taking offers for all cards, so check out his set and shoot him an e-mail at azfletch59@cox.net if he has something you are interested in.

Azvike HOF RC Set

Jason
    Wow that's pretty big news. He has some super nice cards. I just sent an email...

Just in case everyone is wondering.... I added the astricks to the title so it's easier to find..

DAve

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I just got off the phone with Pete and got some things from him and a couple things pending. image

Just added a PSA 9 Reggie White USFL rc. I now have a PSA 8 for sale/trade if anyone is interested.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got off the phone with Pete and got some things from him and a couple things pending. image

Just added a PSA 9 Reggie White USFL rc. I now have a PSA 8 for sale/trade if anyone is interested. >>

How much for the 8, my Vikings friend?

jim

(don't let the lombardi fool you, I couldn't find a bud grant pic!)