Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i> You wouldn't see Sotherby's pull an auction of a Picasso just because someone jumped up an offered a $100 million (I don't have a clue about art auctions so I'm assuming this is the case). >>

Uh-Oh, cats out of the bag now Mike...

We all know your secret= undercover Art Collector...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.
  • Jason:

I am impressed with both your HOF Rookies set and the football knowledge you have shared with the board. I have enjoyed your comments and have learned a lot about certain players from various posts over the years.

However, regarding the Berry eBay auction, isn't it a violation of eBay's policies to contact a seller to try to get a seller to sell outside of eBay or to end an auction early? If you had placed a bid, and he ended the auction early and sold to another bidder off eBay, wouldn't you be pissed? That being said, once he agreed to your price, he should have honored the deal.

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.

<< <i>Jason:

I am impressed with both your HOF Rookies set and the football knowledge you have shared with the board. I have enjoyed your comments and have learned a lot about certain players from various posts over the years.

However, regarding the Berry eBay auction, isn't it a violation of eBay's policies to contact a seller to try to get a seller to sell outside of eBay or to end an auction early? If you had placed a bid, and he ended the auction early and sold to another bidder off eBay, wouldn't you be pissed? That being said, once he agreed to your price, he should have honored the deal.

John >>

I didn't try to get him to end early OR to sell outside ebay. In his auction he seemed to be in a hurry to get his payment before next weekend. He ran it as a 3-day auction. My offer was to buy outright, whichever way was easiest for him. Based on my conversation with him via e-mail, my belief was that he would re-list as a BIN. Well, that is what he did, but he re-listed at a higher price, and he did it without warning me or letting me know so I could be the one to hit the BIN.

FYI, I would have still purchased the card for the $1,500 BIN..But he knew he was going back on our deal which is why he didn't say anything..He was basically shopping it higher just to see if he could get a few hundred more and would screw me over to do it...Even though my money order was already expedited just as he requested.

My mistake was trusting and or sending money based on someones word. I guess I am spoiled by the majority of football collectors I deal with. Most of which I have absolutely no qualms about sending money or even sending cards based on their word outside of ebay. I do it all the time and there are at least 10 collectors on theispost who can attest to that. Unfortunately, this guy isn't really a football hobby guy..He just so happened to have a card I needed...From what I've been told, these underhanded activities are rampant on the baseball side of things..I hope it never gets like that among the football HOF RC collectors, because if it does my entire set will be on the market...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • I understand where you are coming from. I guess if there were no bids when he switched it from an auction to BIN, then there is no harm if he did it to let you buy through eBay. It was BS for him to up the price after coming to an agreement with you. However, if there were bids when he ended the auction and switched to BIN, then he is doing a disservice (translation -- shafting) those who placed bids. Also, a lot of people, myself included, use a snipe service. I have seen auctions where I believe my snipe would have won, but the auction mysteriously ends early, likely sold off eBay. I know people want to save the eBay fee if they can, but I think the increased price from the snipes would outweigh what its worth.

I have never ended an auction early even when receiving what I thought was a fair offer. I just don't think its fair to the bidders. FWIW, I have never had an auction end for less than the off-eBay offer, but I sure do sweat it out until the snipes hit in the last 10 seconds.

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.

<< <i>I understand where you are coming from. I guess if there were no bids when he switched it from an auction to BIN, then there is no harm if he did it to let you buy through eBay. It was BS for him to up the price after coming to an agreement with you. However, if there were bids when he ended the auction and switched to BIN, then he is doing a disservice (translation -- shafting) those who placed bids. Also, a lot of people, myself included, use a snipe service. I have seen auctions where I believe my snipe would have won, but the auction mysteriously ends early, likely sold off eBay. I know people want to save the eBay fee if they can, but I think the increased price from the snipes would outweigh what its worth.

I have never ended an auction early even when receiving what I thought was a fair offer. I just don't think its fair to the bidders. FWIW, I have never had an auction end for less than the off-eBay offer, but I sure do sweat it out until the snipes hit in the last 10 seconds.

John >>

John, there were no bids when I e-mailed him. I don't e-mail sellers once a bid has been placed, because I agree with you. At that point the auction needs to run its course. I watched WAY to many cards I had snipes set for end early as well. When I learned how and why it was happening then I felt like the only way I can/could stay in the game is to get with the program. Some times I think I've gotten the card cheaper than it would have sold, and other times I've paid more than the next one to auction on ebay...

As Mike stated, ebay needs to find a way to make auctions run their course regardless..But at the same time, an ended auction means about as much as an offline deal for a card. Its only as good as the sellers word.

How about this as an example. Say a collector posts a message right here in this thread that he has a card for sale and is taking offers. He gets an offer from you for the card and accepts it. You send payment next morning. A few hours later, he tells you he has changed his mind and gotten a much higher offer and that your deal is off, no questions.

I view an ebay item with no bids much in the same light as above. And to me, however the agreement was reached, a guys word should be his bond. I can't even comprehend how people can live with themselves any other way. To me, money is worthless if it is gained by distrustful and dishonest means...

Jason
    Well, the Berry PSA 8 fiasco is over and done. I've spoken to the buyer who is keeping the card. Best of luck to him.

Its too bad when dishonorable people are allowed to flourish in this hobby. I hope the football hobby doesn't turn into that but I fear that it is..Anytime or anywhere you have large amounts of money changing hands, you are going to attract the less desirables who are out to make a buck and everything else is secondary.

That being said, I am currently taking offers on any and all cards in my collection. After 8 years in this hobby I feel like it is becoming a place that is no longer fun. I've always viewed those of us on the HOF RC Registry as more of a group or team of guys after the same goal. But more and more its becoming a battle or competition and that's not fun to me. In fact its a drag..I've helped everyone I am friends with on the set..Selling cards to them, giving pricing advice/histories, pointing then towards dealers with cards they need...Only a handful of times in the past has someone "wronged" me. Maybe I've just been lucky to mostly deal with great guys, but if this is where we are going then my heart will not be in it.

Jason

Edited to add: My e-mail is jabeduco@yahoo.com for anyone wishing to send offers.
  • Well with that being said, I guess its time to give my version of the story

As a few of you know, Im the buyer of the tainted 57 Raymond Berry psa 8.

Thursday evening a friend emailed me saying a Berry 8 had just popped up on ebay. It had a $499 starting price. I bid $550 on it to track it, and to keep it from being sold outside of ebay.

Friday morning I get an email saying the auction had ended early. I email the seller, asking if he is giong to relist it. He told me he had made a deal offline to sell it. I dont ask how much, to whom, or try to out bid, I move on

3 hours later the seller emails me saying the deal had fallen through, would I like to make an offer. I make him an offer. He says no, and says he is going to list it as a BIN. I go to ebay, and buy it for $1500 BIN

10 minutes later I start getting emails from the collective here saying to read the HOF thread, then, and only then did I realize this guy had broken a deal with Jason. I bought this card with no malice, or bad intentions. I agree with everyone that ending auctions early should come to a stop, to avoid things like this from happening.

If you end an auction early, you are indeed relying on the integrity of people to follow through. At least on ebay there is some recourse. If your going to swim with the sharks dealing with people off line, dont cry when you get bit.

Jason, we all know you, we all enjoy dealing with you and your vast knowledge. I hope you change your mind

regards

Joe

<< <i>

If you end an auction early, you are indeed relying on the integrity of people to follow through. At least on ebay there is some recourse. If your going to swim with the sharks dealing with people off line, dont cry when you get bit.
    >>

That's great advice Joe, I never would have thought of that.

Although I'm not sure exactly what recourse you think ebay gives you other than leaving negative feedback. You can apply your statement to EVERY offline deal that many of us make between each other. I don't see that as any different as when I made the offer and he accepted THERE WERE NO BIDS. I made the offer and had the acceptance from him by 18:36 PDT, your initial bid was at 20:20 PDT. Proof is in the pudding, I have all the e-mails and bid histories so lets stick with the facts shall we. Should others who were willing to pay more be angry that you were quickest to the BIN? Honestly what is the difference?

The fact is, you knew 5 minutes after you hit the BIN what the situation was. No payment had been sent because he only takes check or MO. So to say you had no idea what was going on before you purchased this item is false.

I understand though. Your mad about ALL the cards anyone else buys BEFORE you have the chance to. And if the opportunity to undercut or backstab any of us who already have an agreement in place anywhere offline you will take it. So beware to all in any deals you might have among each other. If Joe finds out, he will have no reservations in buying out from under you.

I can promise you I WOULD NEVER do that. If I make a deal with ANY OF YOU to sell any of my cards, I will not go back later and do a deal with someone else and I don't care if it is $1,000,000 more. I refuse to let the business side of this hobby get in the way of honesty an d integrity. Not saying that Joe did, but he definitely enabled the seller to get away with it. It takes 2 to make a deal, so for me that's just as bad.

Jason

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

For everyone's sake, please take a few days off from the boards. I know that you're mad, however you will get your money back and everything will be fine. We've all been burned at one time or another. Several years ago, I bought a raw Joe Namath rc off E-Bay for $500 and it was a fake. I e-mailed the seller repeatedly who blew me off and taunted me in his e-mails how he had screwed me over. In the end, I filed a chargeback and got my money back and it embittered me for a long time.

With that being said, that experience was 1 in 100,000. I have met some of the nicest, most honest and generous people on these boards and have forged several great friendships. Don't let this destroy your faith in others....just think of what a hole you would leave if you decided to sell your collection and move on. I, for one, think that these boards would be a lonlier place.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Wow did this get ugly fast.

Jason, I understand you are upset over this, I would be as well. I think we all would be. However, I'll play devils advocate here. If the agreement was made to purchase offline prior to any bids being placed, then that's one thing. The seller should have pulled the auction immediately. I can't balk at someone making an offer to end before bids have been placed. I myself have emailed sellers prior to bids being placed and asked if they had a BIN in mind. The way I see it though, the seller screwed up here, he should have pulled the auction immediately upon agreeing to your offline offer if he was going to do that. Since he didn't, other user(s) were able to bid. These users then had their bids cancelled only to wonder what had happened. Knowing competition for this card would be fierce, you were smart to try and get it offline before the bidding war hit but apparently the seller figured this out. I guess from my perspective, how do you know Joe was the only one to make an inquiry after the auction ended? Perhaps a few others did as well? The seller renegged on your deal, shameful, but then relists with a BIN and one of the original bidders hit it presumably without knowledge of the offline deal now gone bad. My beef would be with the seller on this, not Joe. Maybe I'm missing some facts, but someone else hitting the BIN as soon as it hit isn't contemptable. You can go either way on his purchasing of it after he hit the BIN, I won't get into that argument as that seems to be an emotional hot-point. I could go either way on that one quite honestly.

It would be a shame to see you leave, it would be a shame to see you sell your set. I really don't think this one bad experience is worth "packing it in". The HOF set has become competitive, but for the most part, many of us post here, curse each other's names when we lose to another snipe and then come on here and congratulate the winner with a snarl. image

I have no dog in this fight, and while I realize the Berry 8 is a great card which rarely shows up, is it worth stepping away completely for? I can understand how feelings can be hurt and things like this can leave a sour taste in your mouth but please reconsider your position on this. I've spoken and dealt with Joe several times, as well as you and I honestly feel you are both stand-up guys who have helped me out in more ways than one and I hate seeing that a card and one dumbass seller could cause a rift like this.

Bottom line is, Mike's original post was dead-on. Jason=Stand-Up guy. Joe=Stand-Up guy, Seller=dumbass. Please don't let this ruin a good thing.

Now, I have another question, how in the heck do you guys find these auctions so fast? I don't get my notifications til 2am and usually mikescardcloset already has a bid placed or has hit the BIN. (See "curse your names" above) image

-Josh

<< <i>Jason,

For everyone's sake, please take a few days off from the boards. I know that you're mad, however you will get your money back and everything will be fine. We've all been burned at one time or another. Several years ago, I bought a raw Joe Namath rc off E-Bay for $500 and it was a fake. I e-mailed the seller repeatedly who blew me off and taunted me in his e-mails how he had screwed me over. In the end, I filed a chargeback and got my money back and it embittered me for a long time.

With that being said, that experience was 1 in 100,000. I have met some of the nicest, most honest and generous people on these boards and have forged several great friendships. Don't let this destroy your faith in others....just think of what a hole you would leave if you decided to sell your collection and move on. I, for one, think that these boards would be a lonlier place.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, I'm actually over being mad..Was over it the day it happened. I could care less about the card at this point...The M.O. was canceled and got my money back already.

I posted what I thought was the final word on it, but I'm not going to let the other party involved skew the story to make it seem "ok". What is most upsetting to me is not that my faith in others that has been reduced, but my faith in the hobby as a whole and in fellow collectors I consider friends. Had it been a complete stranger that ended up buying the card it would have been much easier to accept. But to have someone who I thought would have my back and not let an unknown seller take advantage of any of us is the dagger. Maybe it was my mistake to think that those of us who post here and that talk regularly about football and about the football cards we collect would have a stronger respect for each other. It's things like this that takes the fun out of it for me. And in the grand scheme of things, thats really the main reason I collect.

If it's not going to be fun, why do it?

Thanks for the words though,
    Jason
  • Jason- As much as I would love to buy some of your cards, please re-consider. Bad experiences like this are far and few. Remember all the good deals you've done and all the other good people you've developed relationships with. You will see that these negative experiences, although irksome, are far and few.
    I've had a few similar experiences. I've basically learned not to deal with those people again. I won't respond to the emails, posts, sell items to them, or buy from them, regardless of price. Like you, I believe in integrity in everything I do. If a person deals like crap, they will end up smelling like s%*t.

Think it over and you will realize this situation was just another chapter in your collecting experience.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    I just picked up a PSA 10 1994 SP Faulk for $99 - was that a good deal? I thought then typically sold in the $200+ range.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • I just picked up a 1994 SP Faulk for $99 - was that a good deal? I thought then typically sold in the $200+ range.

What was the grade??

<< <i>I just picked up a 1994 SP Faulk for $99 - was that a good deal? I thought then typically sold in the $200+ range.

What was the grade?? >>

Sorry - PSA 10

References:
  • That wasn't a good deal. It was a great deal! Congratsimage

<< <i>That wasn't a good deal. It was a great deal! Congratsimage >>

Thanks Frank - I slowly want to start upgrading my early 90's rookies that I have in PSA 9 including Favre, Emmitt, Faulk (now done), Bettis, Seau, ect... One down...

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All. This is a great thread and I veiw it from time to time. I was very interested in Joe's (hi Joe) tracking of HOF rookie prices and the increase that has happened. 7 years ago when I started putting together 60's football sets I realized that most of the key players were undervalued and under appreciated at the time. Never did I think that the prices of key players would take off at this incrediable pace. I wish I would have just collected all the key rookies, instead of concentrating on sets. Oh well, hind site is 20/20. Some of you know that I recently completed my 63 Fleer set (thanks Marc) and thought I'd share 2 of the key cards that helped me finish the set. I don't think I will ever be able to do a HOF set, but you never know. I do have a few key cards, (these 2, Namath, Brown, Bounticonti, Unitas and a few more raw HOFer's in mid 6-7 grade) You guys may hook me eventually. Enjoy the scans. I know I do everyday as it took 7 years to complete the set. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

<< <i>

<< <i>That wasn't a good deal. It was a great deal! Congratsimage >>

Thanks Frank - I slowly want to start upgrading my early 90's rookies that I have in PSA 9 including Favre, Emmitt, Faulk (now done), Bettis, Seau, ect... One down...

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I paid $125 for my Faulk about a year ago. They've come down a little bit, but I think $99 is a perfectly reasonable price. Especially considering about 5 years ago it was $650-900 depending on how many TD's he had that weekend.

I just picked up a PSA 10 Cortez Kennedy for my 90's set. Stole it for $10. image Not as good of a deal as my Marvin Harrison PSA 10 for $10, but nice just the same.

I too am looking at upgrading some of my 80's and 90's stuff. I think some of us will be running into each other.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Joe, you've made quite a splash since entering the hobby, and you've been nothing but a class act in our dealings. I hope this hasn't shaken your collecting spirit.

We all know how much joy card collecting brings us. That's a good thing to focus on. Heck, there are times when I've got my eyes glued to my monitor drooling over something. My wife probably thinks it's porn. HECK NO. CARDS BABY. Come to think of it, maybe my wife does wish it was porn. Maybe she thinks that'd be a little more normal. LOL.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>I just picked up a PSA 10 Cortez Kennedy for my 90's set. Stole it for $10. Not as good of a deal as my Marvin Harrison PSA 10 for $10, but nice just the same. >>

Wow that's awesome. I can't believe that card is a pop 14 now. It was a pop 1 less than 2 months ago if I'm not mistaken. And the pop 1 went for several hundred dollars!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    I believe Fletcher bought it for $300 on best offer. Seller was originally asking $400 BIN. Then one went for $200...another for $102.50, then $70. This one was listed as a 1989, which is why I think it went unnoticed. image I already paid, so hopefully it shows up. lol

Edited to add: I just got a PSA 9 Jerry Rice FINALLY! Price wasn't bad either, $198. I've lost more than one at $215 so I'm happy, this one is very well centered too.

<< <i>I believe Fletcher bought it for $300 on best offer. Seller was originally asking $400 BIN. Then one went for $200...another for $102.50, then $70. This one was listed as a 1989, which is why I think it went unnoticed. image I already paid, so hopefully it shows up. lol

Edited to add: I just got a PSA 9 Jerry Rice FINALLY! Price wasn't bad either, $198. I've lost more than one at $215 so I'm happy, this one is very well centered too. >>

Nice job Josh. I just picked up a PSA 10 Junior Seau for $47. I overpaid a little but I was tired of losing out time and time again.

Another one bites the dust!

Greg M.

References:
    lol. I've taken that attitude a few times.

Congrats!

By the way Greg, got your stuff packed up. Going out priority tomorrow. Been busy with work, the new kid and everything else. Should see them Wednesday I would guess. Mike & Joe, your stuff goes out in the morning as well.

<< <i>lol. I've taken that attitude a few times.

Congrats!

By the way Greg, got your stuff packed up. Going out priority tomorrow. Been busy with work, the new kid and everything else. Should see them Wednesday I would guess. Mike & Joe, your stuff goes out in the morning as well. >>

Thanks for the update Josh. Not a problem - I'm STILL waiting for the post office to re-deliver 3 of my PSA orders. My regular post man was off last week (who is great) and his replacement was too lazy to walk up to the door w/ the orders - so he dropped the slips in the mail box even thought my wife was home. That was Wednesday and the orders still haven't been re-delieverd. It really burns my as* because the guy was too lazy to move his fat as* from the truck and walk 100 feet to my front door. Unreal. His replacement has done this before and I've complained because the only other alternative is for me to go after work and it's at least 20 minutes out of my way plus they keep banker's hours.

Whew....time to cool down.

Have a good night....how is the baby doing? Getting any sleep? image

Greg M.

References:
    Thanks to all who sent offers, but I've had time to mull it over and I'm not going to sell. There would be a big void in my daily life if I sold off and left the hobby. I'm not going to let an event, or even a couple of events destroy my belief that basically all of us, at least the NFL HOF RC collectors are good guys. Sometimes, those among us are swayed by temptation, and it's probably going to happen to more than a few of us as this sector of the hobby keeps getting more and more popular. I've definitely learned a few valuable lessons here to add to my overall collecting experiences...

Let's let this be the end of this saga and get back to what this thread was meant to be. I'm really not one for all this soap opera drama BS anyway..lol

Greg, I recently got a new mailman who doesn't come to my door with packages. he simply puts the slip in my mailbox and forces me to stand in the (minimum) 45 minute line at the Post Office. On Saturday, there were 3 cars and 5 people at my house AND it was a weekend...Still got the slip, he never came to the door.image

Jason
  • Jason all i can say as i am glad you have changed your mind.

With that said I know how you feel, something very much like this ordeal has happened a couple of times to me and i felt the same way initially but you cant let 1 or 2 people ruin it for you.

99% of the guys i deal with off ebay like yourself ,Frank and others who know who they are are truly the real giants of the hobby in my book, as you and others are the ones who allow me to enjoy it myself.

I just try to limit the guys i deal with off ebay to a small circle that i have grown to trust over many deals over the years.

Just like in the real game my friend, yes its a hobby we all enjoy but like you said when it comes to large $$$$ of money you have to treat it like a business almost sad to say but true .

But just like in the real world that does not mean that guys like again yourself or Frank ect i would not trust 100% with out question ,People earn trust over time and by the character the display.

PS Just for the record book I concur with another statement I had to turn down a offer for a larger amount on a card I recently sold Jason and I am more then sure most of us here would do the same thing or have already done so.
    For that matter many times cards I make available to a few guys I know I could sell for more but no need to try to gauge out a extra couple $,s

KARMA BABY GOOD OR BAD IT FINDS IT WAY BACK TO YOU !!!!!!!!

OK ENOUGH SAID what this thread needs NOW is a little good old fashion football smack talk so maybe I will just start collecting this set I must have a few HOF RC laying around someplace.

Well off to buy my powerball tickets if i win i will change my name to moshfight4olddcfuzzjasp image look out then guys

Does Craig Zav (#3 set) ever frequent the boards? I don't think I've ever seen him post.

Greg M.

References:
    Isn't that azvike? Or is that someone else? I've dealt with Craig offline before.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    From a man low on the set ranking. I just moved up from 47th to a tie for 46th with a Decon Jones Rookie. I have my Clarke Hinkle going to PSA with my renewal free grade in the next week or so. So I should move up to 46th alone if not a spot higher. The Hinkle should be a 4 and a shot at a 5.

Good luck all.
    Nice! I love those Chicles! One of my favorites along with the 48 Leaf set. You didn't by chance buy that Hinkle from a grey haired guy doing a show in Wisconsin recently did you?
    Okay fess up, who got the PSA 10 Isaac Bruce rookie? I was tempted to make an offer on it as I've been looking for one for a while, but the timing's pretty bad card budget wise. Anyone know what the last one to go the distance sold for, or when the last one sold? I actually have 2 for grading at PSA right now, but it's a crapshoot between 9's and 10's.
    FYI, I bid on the Bruce PSA 10 with the first minute or so of it being listed.

Maybe we should start a list of sellers and buyers who end and have auctions ended early that have already become auctions (they have bids). I'm certain whoever made the offer did so after bids were already placed. Would be hard to track, there are time stamps on e-mails and bids.

I think we as a collective group could make a serious statement by boycotting these buyers and sellers.

Jason

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Jason.

Now back to the cards, is that your Nevers, Shag? I've had my eye on that car for years, but I've never pulled the trigger. Very underrated card.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • I wish I saw that card. I need the I. Bruce in a 10image
    Not my Nevers AA, but it's a real beauty IMO. Benny Friedman also has a card in the '26 Spalding set.
    Meh. I need the Bruce in a 9...so when you guys get your 10's, let me have the scraps please. image

All in all I'm pretty happy with my weekend. I got my PSA 9 Rice and a PSA 10 Cortez Kennedy. Next weekend I'll be looking for some other stuff I'm sure. I just sent off a 27 and 23 card order to PSA for the June special. Looks like the grades are coming back pretty quick on those, so I have my fingers crossed. It's mostly 80 and 90's TEam of the decade and all time team stuff I need to fill holes. I have multiples of most of the cards but sent in the best looking one just to fill my holes and not break the bank. Still a $300 bill to PSA again. I think that puts me up to $2k in the 3 months with them. Ugh.
    Envoy, you could have had this Bruce 9 for $6.21 + s/h:

Isaac Bruce 9
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I missed some drama during my hospital visit. Jason, I'm glad you reconsidered before you did something you would regret down the road. I know it's tough when things like this happen. In fact, it seems that almost every card I win, or am the underbidder on, I get in a bidding war with someone on this board. You guys have cost me plenty...LOL..Its just the nature of the beast..

That being said, I have put my collecting on hold for a little bit to focus on the baby.. (Not saying that I wont be bidding...LOL) I will be sending 75 or so cards to PSA next week for the special consisting of crackouts and raw card buys, but that's about it....

Later guys...

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! I love those Chicles! One of my favorites along with the 48 Leaf set. You didn't by chance buy that Hinkle from a grey haired guy doing a show in Wisconsin recently did you? >>

I picked it up about 4 months ago on Ebay. Just have not along to sending it in.

<< <i>Wow, I missed some drama during my hospital visit. Jason, I'm glad you reconsidered before you did something you would regret down the road. I know it's tough when things like this happen. In fact, it seems that almost every card I win, or am the underbidder on, I get in a bidding war with someone on this board. You guys have cost me plenty...LOL..Its just the nature of the beast..

That being said, I have put my collecting on hold for a little bit to focus on the baby.. (Not saying that I wont be bidding...LOL) I will be sending 75 or so cards to PSA next week for the special consisting of crackouts and raw card buys, but that's about it....

Later guys...

Dave >>

Agree Dave, although I was lusting after Jason's PSA 8 Buoniconti rc image

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Envoy, you could have had this Bruce 9 for $6.21 + s/h:

Isaac Bruce 9 >>

God dang it. I just had a ton of my "favorite searches" expire. I've been working through them to get them updated. Figures I would miss that. And for $6 too.

Dave-Congrats on the baby! I didn't see a post! What did you have? Stats? Pics?
  • Jason:

I'm glad to hear you are sticking with the set. Don't let that bad experience distract you from the fact that everyone on the board agrees with your position (except the eventual buyer).

John
    All,

Let's start a separate thread where everyone can post their buy, sell and trade items for the HOF rookie, HOF hopeful modern and senior sets. I'll go ahead and start it and everyone post what they have....then each person edit their original as cards are added or sold. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    what is a Isaac Bruce 94 Bowman rookie in PSA 10 worth? I made one on a sub a few months ago and have held onto it since then.
  • drewsef- PM sent
  • Some people are idiots!!!! I set a snipe on a Dave Robinson 67 Philly and won it for around $7. One of the underbidders sent me this message. I will edit it for obvious reasons.

Why do you bid at the last second? I bid only against myself. I bid what I will pay. You can bid at any time, out bid me, and my bid will not change. I never understood why f**kers think they are so smart by bidding at the very end of an auction. Such a f**king fallacy by believing that will win you the auction. Look at the f**king value of the card and see what bidding at the end of the auction saved you? Not a f**king cent. God, people like you are so stupid

I am not even going to respond to it, but did send it to Ebay.

Crazy world full of crazy people.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    thats almost as good as the guy who blocked me from bidding on his auctions because I bid against him on Favre cards?? He has some great logic.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Wow, that is amazing VJ. It's truly scary to think that nutjobs like that walk among us each and every day.