Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    FYI....Melisa's name is on the account but the ship to address was a
    Dan Dockry from California

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is a little off topic, but I saw the posts about the Shaw rookie. I lived in Buffalo and saw his whole carreer. Recently a lady from Buffalo had some old Bills Pictures, compliments of a Super market. She wasn't sure if the autographs were real and I picked up 7 of them for $1. a piece. 6 were real autos and 1, (Kemp) was a printed auto.(not real) Just thought I' d share a neat item from a HOFer, long before he ever dreamed of being in the hall. I would guess this was taken and signed 1963 or 1964. Enjoy, Joe

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Make sure you post those on the hof autographs thread. Greg would love to see those I'm sure.

Cool pieces, and you can't beat that price!
  • Options
    Alright someone fess up. Who got the PSA 9 1971 Topps Charlie Sanders? It was listed yesterday and is already gone.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Not me...I e-mailed about the availability but never got a response...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright someone fess up. Who got the PSA 9 1971 Topps Charlie Sanders? It was listed yesterday and is already gone. >>

Man, that didn't take long for my pop 3 Sanders to become a pop 4. I wonder when the first Wehrli 9 will emerge. That card seems to have more l-r centering issues than the Sanders, though that could just be from the samples I've seen so far.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Alright, I fess up. It was me. I offered $100 and he took it. Does anyone want it. I would take $200 and double my money.

Nevermind, I can't rip someone off like that. How about $125 for my trouble.

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
  • Options
    $100? NICE!

By the way, what's the story behind the "Got my PRO Grades" thread? I chuckled, but figured there's a better back story. image

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright, I fess up. It was me. I offered $100 and he took it. Does anyone want it. I would take $200 and double my money.

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! >>

Scott,

Did you really buy it or are you just pulling our collective legs?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Alright, I fess up. It was me. I offered $100 and he took it. Does anyone want it. I would take $200 and double my money.

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! >>

Scott,

Did you really buy it or are you just pulling our collective legs?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, he said $100..He's kidding..lol

If he said $1,000 I might believe it...I was ready to offer him $600 so hopefully it was more than that otherwise he left money on the table by not answering my message...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Alright someone fess up. Who got the PSA 9 1971 Topps Charlie Sanders? It was listed yesterday and is already gone. >>

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    I'm 99.9% sure it was a Registry guy, I doubt a Lions or a 1971 Topps collector would pay the big bucks..So just watch the Registry..There are only a few of those to go around so once I gets added we'll know who the lucky guy is...

Jason
  • Options
    Well, that dodn't take long..Went to look at updated sets and the first one I see, low and behold Mr. Mike's Card Closet himself has a brand spanking new PSA 9 Charlie Sanders RC!!!lol

Congrats on the pickup Mike, that's a tough one!

Now what do you want to trade it for???lol

Jason

• Options

Ahh yes I was happy to get that card. I really had to talk my wife into it though image

For now I would like to hold onto it. In time we will see what happens ...

It's not often that I get a hold of such a nice card so I have to enjoy for a while.

For the record: I didn't e-mail the seller, he contacted me.

Awesome seller!! and I must be living right image
  • Options
    So much for saving up your money Mike.

I didnt even see that card hit the radar, and you scarfed it up.

I love that there is a 2 minute gap between Jason saying we will see who it is when they register it, and you registering it. Thats funny
  • Options
    Nice pickup Mike!!

What am I missing with this card? $61!!!!!!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    avonex is a big fat shill. That's where I'd lay my money.
  • Options

<< <i>For the record: I didn't e-mail the seller, he contacted me. >>

Lucky you. I wonder why he didn't contact you before the auction?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Mike,

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

Greg M. >>

Getting near page 2.... and I was curious how much Mike paid for that card as well. Your screwing up Jasons tracking system!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

Greg M. >>

Getting near page 2.... and I was curious how much Mike paid for that card as well. Your screwing up Jasons tracking system!! >>

I don't track private sales...They aren't really a good indicator of market value..

Jason
  • Options
    I have 2 cards for sale:

1963 GAI 7 Jim Marshall $40 dlvd
    1993 SP Larry Centers PSA 9 $15 dlvd

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    WOW, what a beauty. PSA 9 Tony Canadeo showed up last night. Only two of them on the Pop report and the top HOF Rookie set already has it. Canadeo
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, what a beauty. PSA 9 Tony Canadeo showed up last night. Only two of them on the Pop report and the top HOF Rookie set already has it. Canadeo >>

Price is probably about right...Especially with PSA 8's selling for $1500-ish...Only problem with big time cards like that is that your market of buyers is MUCH smaller. In fact, I can only think of one or two guys on the HOF RC registry that could drop that kinda bank on a Canadeo 9 and one of them already has the card..lol

Will be interesting to see if someone grabs it. Definitely won't be me...I can't even bring myself to spend $1,000 on the PSA 8 because I was used to seeing them sell regularly in the $200-$300 range a few years back.

Jason
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I also saw an unopened chicle pack on Ebay too for $2800 BIN. Nice to pull a Bronko out of that.1935 Chicle pack unopened
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also saw an unopened chicle pack on Ebay too for $2800 BIN. Nice to pull a Bronko out of that.1935 Chicle pack unopened >>

Wow. That might be the only Chicle pack in existence. I've seen 2 Sport Kings penny packs, but never a Chicle. I'm skeptical because of the wrinkles, but having never seen one before I don't know what the pack should look like. I'd never heard of the dealer either, and he isn't selling anything similar. I would have expected there to be 1 card per pack and not 2, but none of my references tell me. So many red flags. I'd have to hold the pack in my hands and get Murphy and Hart to give the thumbs up before I dropped almost 3 large on something with so many potential problems. If it's real though? Yikes.

Joe

p.s. Sorry for the rambling thoughts, it's exciting for a football wax collector to see something like this!
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    The first thing that crossed my mind was there is no way you're pulling a Bronko...If it was ever there, it's probably long gone..lol

Why wouldn't this seller have the pack PSA authenticated first? Like Joe said, way too many red flags...Very cool to see though even if the chances are probably pretty low that it is authentic and untampered...

Jason
  • Options
    Some new insights (5/24 column) from "Dr. Z" Paul Zimmerman (HOF voter) on some current players.

"Phil of Aberdeen, N.C., the same person I mentioned earlier as a fan of Redheaded Linda (and I think that might be what set her off) wants my list of Hall of Famers from guys playing now. Man, do you know how much work is involved to round up a roster, just to satisfy a rambling whim of yours? Besides, I answered this a few months ago, the very same thing. OK, enough grumping.

Off the very tip top of the head, Brady and Manning and Tomlinson and mmm, maybe Strahan, and Faulk and maybe Dawkins and Urlacher, whom I don't think I'll vote for but will get enough votes from other people. And Zach Thomas, who I will vote for but won't get enough votes, and maybe Jason Taylor and Champ Bailey and definitely Favre and Curtis Martin and Marvin Harrison, Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis, and you know something... I'm getting carried away and naming too many names and I think I'll bag it for a while. The bigger your roster becomes, the more people you upset by leaving their guys off ... just like wedding invitations. Please, no angry emails about whom I left off. Andrew has orders to deny entry to such visitors."

I think Brian Dawkins is one Pro Bowl tyoe season away from deserving an addition to our Future HOF RC set.

Jason

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I also saw an unopened chicle pack on Ebay too for $2800 BIN. Nice to pull a Bronko out of that.1935 Chicle pack unopened >>

Wow. That might be the only Chicle pack in existence. I've seen 2 Sport Kings penny packs, but never a Chicle. I'm skeptical because of the wrinkles, but having never seen one before I don't know what the pack should look like. I'd never heard of the dealer either, and he isn't selling anything similar. I would have expected there to be 1 card per pack and not 2, but none of my references tell me. So many red flags. I'd have to hold the pack in my hands and get Murphy and Hart to give the thumbs up before I dropped almost 3 large on something with so many potential problems. If it's real though? Yikes.

Joe

p.s. Sorry for the rambling thoughts, it's exciting for a football wax collector to see something like this! >>

"There is a 3 quarter inch tear on the right and 1 quarter inch tear on the top and one on the bottom"
    ...just enough to see what cards are inside and know that it's worth more "unopened' than opened and graded. Thanks for looking.

At least, that's my thoughts on it. Just the wrapper would be cool to have. And that Canadeo is amazing! I need to win the lottery. lol
  • Options

<< <i>Some new insights (5/24 column) from "Dr. Z" Paul Zimmerman (HOF voter) on some current players.
    >>

Faulk?? He's a shoo-in, but he hasn't played a down of football in a year and a half. He's officially retired. Someone out of tune enough to not know that is an influential HOF voter??image
  • Options
    Never mind....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some new insights (5/24 column) from "Dr. Z" Paul Zimmerman (HOF voter) on some current players.
    >>

Faulk?? He's a shoo-in, but he hasn't played a down of football in a year and a half. He's officially retired. Someone out of tune enough to not know that is an influential HOF voter??image >>

Well, in Dr. Z's defense, Faulk only "officially retired" about a month or so ago...lol..Curtis Martin, has STILL not officially retired...For HOF purposes, both Martin and Faulk's last season will be considered 2005 as neither was on an active roster last year..Making both of them eligible in 2011..So long as Martin retires as rumored...

Jason
  • Options
    True, he didn't retire until March, but HOF voters must be held to a high standard. It could be Zimmerman does some hardcore research, number-crunching, tape viewing, and interviewing before voting, but based on the tone of his quote and the factual error, I doubt it. It's dissapointing.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>True, he didn't retire until March, but HOF voters must be held to a high standard. It could be Zimmerman does some hardcore research, number-crunching, tape viewing, and interviewing before voting, but based on the tone of his quote and the factual error, I doubt it. It's dissapointing.

Joe >>

He has done more detailed write-ups..In this case he was just throwing some names out..Thing about him is that he has his favorites and he has his guys that he doesn't like..I don't think he's ever changed or been persuaded by any arguments in the voting..He also used to be on the Seniors committee and has written a few books on all-time great players and teams. I don't particularly agree on many of his positions on specific players..But he's been a voter for something like 20-30 years and his opinion is held in very high regard by other voters...

Jason
  • Options
    Modern and Senior FUTURE HOF RC sets are now online!!!!!!!!!!!

All thanks to those who helped put it together and to Cosetta for once again going above and beyond the call to get the set online ASAP.

Jason
  • Options
    Hey Jason,

Are you having problems adding your 1989 Score Supplemental Dawson?
  • Options
    The '85 Dent weighting on the modern set seems really high to me at 4.5. Is this correct?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The '85 Dent weighting on the modern set seems really high to me at 4.5. Is this correct? >>

From what I remember, I think this is a pretty condition sensitve card with only 29/175 being 9 or better. Maybe that's why?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Jason,

Are you having problems adding your 1989 Score Supplemental Dawson? >>

Yes, it won't add. I will e-mail Cosetta on Tuesday if it's still not working then.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>The '85 Dent weighting on the modern set seems really high to me at 4.5. Is this correct? >>

The weights were primarily based on SMR in PSA 9, which the Dent is listed at $60. I actually downgraded the weighting a tad because it never sells that high. For comparison, other cards on the set weighted 4.50:

1991 Favre (SMR $45)
    1999 Torry Holt (SMR $55)

The 1990 Emmitt Smith has an SMR of $65 and it weighted 5.0..I think the Dent is dead on.

Jason

• Options
    Jason --

I could not load my Floyd Little into the Seniors set.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    Just added my sets! Gotta love it. image

I had problems with Dermontti and Little as well. I'm happy I had most of these cards already, I have quite a few of the ones I don't have, already sitting here raw, waiting to be graded. These will be fun, fluid, evolving sets to keep up with each year as well. Thanks again for putting it together Jason.
  • Options
    Just wanted to add my THANKS to JASON!!

Fiinished adding my sets and am happy to be where I am.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    Yes, big ups to Jason and Cosetta for making this happen.

Marc, your modern set is sick. I mean a GPA of 9.8 is unheard of! It's like 10 city. Very nice.
  • Options
    So T.O. didnt make our Modern candidates?? I don't remember any discussion about him. Love him or hate him, I think he deserves to be considered.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>So T.O. didnt make our Modern candidates?? I don't remember any discussion about him. Love him or hate him, I think he deserves to be considered. >>

I was surprised at that omission myself. Ditto for Tiki. Then again, I didn't cast any votes, so I have no room to talk.
  • Options
    With modern candidates, the criteria we voted on were for players considered likely or definite HOF...IMO, Tiki has absolutely no shot..Definitely less chance than say Corey Dillon who also has no shot...T.O. has been so hated in his career, he needs either a dominant Super Bowl performance or very gaudy numbers...He's got great numbers, but I think he will need at least one more Pro Bowl type season...Same for Randy Moss...

Of course, the set is very fluid and totally up for having guys added via vote at any time...I own the Tiki RC and the T.O. RC, but trying to stay true to the set and my beliefs on player evaluations/future HOF chances... I don't think either of those players is a probable or likely candidate right now so I would have to vote no on both of them.

Guys I think are closest to belonging on the set right now are Walter Jones (who is equal in almost every aspect to Orlando Pace) and Warren Sapp. Alot of others here don't like and/or don't think Sapp belongs which is cool, we all have different opinions. But those are the only 2 guys RIGHT NOW I would give a yes vote to if a poll was sent out...Once next season gets underway, there are a few others who I am a season away to thinking they belong...

Jason
  • Options
    To illustrate just how much the football HOF rookie card market has changed in recent years, take a gander at these prices from Superior's March 2004 auction:

PSA 9 '50 Motley: $1,668
    PSA 9 '58 Jurgensen: $1,064
    PSA 9 '65 Warfield: $472

That last one surprised me the most.
  • Options
    I admit I may be a little biased because I am a Giants fan, but I certainly don't agree that Tiki has no shot at the HOF. Based on his rushing stats alone, I'd agree with that. BUT he was a yards from scrimmage machine, and I think we'll all agree YFC is more important than rushing or receiving yards.

Tiki is 10th all-time in YFC (15,631), despite being a feature back for little more than half his career (you can blame the bonehead Giants management for that). He finished top 5 in YFC 4 times, and I believe led the entire NFL in that category from 2000-2006. For his career, Tiki's ahead of Dickerson, Bettis, O.J., Riggins and Brown.

HOF voters have made allowances for some players lack of gaudy career stats (like Warfield and Swann who played in running systems). I'm hoping they view Tiki for the dominant player he was when he's eligible for induction.

• Options
    Well, I'm not nor have I ever been the guy who looks ONLY at a guys stat line to decide if he is a HOFer or not..I agree Tiki had a few dominant years..But in this era, and at his position I don't think that's going to be enough to get a guy in the HOF,...He was voted to only 3 Pro Bowls and selected as a first team all-pro just once...For a RB, that is pedestrian...

He has exactly 540 more yards from scrimmage than Ricky Watters...Watters has a Super Bowl ring and 2 more Pro Bowls than Tiki...Watters hasn't even been a HOF semi-finalist...Watters also scored 91 TD's vs. Tiki's 67 and Watters did all this in 10 fewer career games...

The other type of machine Tiki was? A fumbling machine...Good player for a short period..But not a HOFer IMO...

Jason