Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

No offense...but I detest Fred Taylor. He has f*'d me every year that I had him in my fantasy league! I hope he suffers in obscurity!

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason,

No offense...but I detest Fred Taylor. He has f*'d me every year that I had him in my fantasy league! I hope he suffers in obscurity!

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, he's one of my all-time favorite players on my hometown team and I don't even draft him for fantasy leagues...lol

Was checking his numbers, and he was screwed AT LEAST twice on getting a Pro Bowl nod...

In 1998, his rookie season. His total yards from scrimmage was 1644 and he scored 17 TDs. Not to mention his YPC was 4.6. Who made the Pro Bowl instead?

Eddie George-1604 total yards, 6 TDs, and a 3.7 YPC

Rookie bias....

In 2000, Taylor totaled 1639 yards and 14 TDs. Who made the pro Bowl instead?

Corey Dillon-1593 yds, 7 TDs

All because Dillon broke the single game rushing record that year...

In 2003, Taylor totaled 1,942 yards from scrimmage and couldn't crack the top 3 of Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis and Jamal Lewis..All 3 of them had 1,900+ yards from scrimmage and 14+ TDs each...

So he may not be great fantasy wise because you never know how the coaches will use him, but if you watch his runs on Sunday's the guy is one of the best around. Not a HOF caliber guy, but ZERO Pro Bowls??? That is a monster snub! Can't wait till he makes the Rushers set. Finally he will be recognized as one of the all-time greats..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jason,

Granted Fred Taylor has been a good player in the league - part of what has hampered him has been the injuries that have limited his playing time. When he's healthy...he's one of the better backs on the field.

Maybe he'll end up as the equivalent to Ken Riley - great stats but no respect.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Does anyone need a PSA 8 Art Shell rc? I have an extra from my last submission.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Fred Taylor isn't overlooked, he just gets noticed for the wrong reasons. Injuries! He's missed 32 starts in 9 seasons. He's started and played in fewer than 14 games 4 times. His career 4.6 YPC avg is stellar, and he is one of the best open field runners in football, but he's got to get on the field first. He was never top 5 in Yards from Scrimmage (7th, 6th and 8th) and never top 5 in rushing yards (he was 6th twice). If the guy could just stay healthy he'd have been a monster. It's a shame he wasn't able to. I personally like Fraud, er I mean, Fred. Yes, he's killed me on my fantasy teams before (he's helped too) but he is fun to watch when he plays.

Currently 9513 yards...He will make the 10,000 yard mark this year. The only year he didn't make at least 700 yards rushing he only played in 2 games. By the way, I didn't "Forget to mention" him, I left him off on purpose. I knew he was close (the others were a little surprising), and besides, I was waiting for your reply since I know you're a big Freddy fan. image

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    If anyone is interested, I just got a 1981 Topps Kellen Winslow HOF RC # 150 as a psa 10. The average price of the last 4 sold on ebay was $193 plus shipping. $185 delivered if any of you HOF collectors need him.

Also, I have a psa 8 1973 Topps Jack Ham and a psa 8 1981 Topps Dan Hampton, if anyone is interested.

Brian
  • Options
    On the All Time Rushers and Receivers and Modern future HOF,

I think a player should be an automatic ADD if they score 100 TD's. What do you guys think?

Most of the time the other criterion are hit well before 100 TD's, but aren't there a few guys that are close
    (Moss, Owens, Alexander, Tomlinson,...)
  • Options

<< <i>On the All Time Rushers and Receivers and Modern future HOF,

I think a player should be an automatic ADD if they score 100 TD's. What do you guys think?

Most of the time the other criterion are hit well before 100 TD's, but aren't there a few guys that are close
    (Moss, Owens, Alexander, Tomlinson,...) >>

On the sets above, the automatic additions stemmed from PSA deciding to combine sets..Meaning we had an All-Time Rushers set already, then someone request a 10,000 yard rusher set. Rather than creating a 2nd set that was nearly identical to the All-Time Rushers, PSA decided to combine them. Thats how the automatic numbers were added...

So if you want TDs to be in the mix as automatic, you'll probably have to request a 100 TD set...Problem is, the player selection would be so different PSA might just create the set rather than apply it to multiple other sets. In the end, PSA makes that decision.

IMO, most players that score 100 TDs wouldnt have a problem being added via vote/poll.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Fred Taylor isn't overlooked, he just gets noticed for the wrong reasons. Injuries! He's missed 32 starts in 9 seasons. He's started and played in fewer than 14 games 4 times. His career 4.6 YPC avg is stellar, and he is one of the best open field runners in football, but he's got to get on the field first. He was never top 5 in Yards from Scrimmage (7th, 6th and 8th) and never top 5 in rushing yards (he was 6th twice). If the guy could just stay healthy he'd have been a monster. It's a shame he wasn't able to. I personally like Fraud, er I mean, Fred. Yes, he's killed me on my fantasy teams before (he's helped too) but he is fun to watch when he plays.

Currently 9513 yards...He will make the 10,000 yard mark this year. The only year he didn't make at least 700 yards rushing he only played in 2 games. By the way, I didn't "Forget to mention" him, I left him off on purpose. I knew he was close (the others were a little surprising), and besides, I was waiting for your reply since I know you're a big Freddy fan. image >>

No doubt he has missed alot of games...Just think what his totals would be with those 32 games added back in...He's averaged 84.9 YPG over his career...Multiple that by 32 and hes got 2,718 more yards...

Jason
  • Options
    Fred Dean. Charger folk, why is he not in the all-time set?

Jason, being a Titan's fan it's hard for me to like any Jag image But, I love Fred Taylor. He seems like a class act on top of being an exceptional running back.
  • Options
    Oh tell me about it. Those 2718 yards and probably 16 extra TD's would have done wonders for my fantasy teams! image

If he had stayed healthy his career, he would be in the HOF discussions I think. Problem is, the guy seems to come up lame ALL the time. Even in the games he's started, I'd be interested to see how many he finished. (I couldn't find that stat)

I'm not dissing him at all, just wish he'd stay healthy, I like watching him run. I even said, he's without a doubt one of the best open field runners in the game. I would be curious to know how many TD's he has over 40 yards, I would bet it is up there with the all time greats.

Edited to add: I just scanned about 200 cards for listing on ebay this weekend. First dibs here for any board members. I'll even toss ya free shipping. Graded stuff is pages two through 5. (Nothing but all time team, position, decade and HOF cards) and a couple baseball mixed in.

I'll also spam the BST board as well.

PSA Graded RC's
  • Options
    Josh,

With all the raw cards, you remind me of NewEnglandSportsCards (aka 2 Sharp Corners). How much for the Stanfill rc's and Nat Moore rc's?

Too bad that I already have the PSA 9 1975 Van Herder or I'd buy it in a second. By the way, I received my cards in the mail - thanks. You should have yours in a day or two.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    That's about 1/4 of the raw I have to scan. Quite honestly, you could think of me as NESC. It's singles I got from busting wax or buying in lots or what have you that weren't really gradeable. Most of the newer stuff is probably PSA 7/8 quality, the older stuff (Stanfill included) is probably PSA 6/7 quality. Some would make nice 7's, some would be 5's. If they were gradeable, they would be graded in all honesty. If you need raw ones, I'd be happy to hook you up, but don't buy these with the expectation of grading them. They're not worth grading. Just want you to be aware.
  • Options

<< <i>That's about 1/4 of the raw I have to scan. Quite honestly, you could think of me as NESC. It's singles I got from busting wax or buying in lots or what have you that weren't really gradeable. Most of the newer stuff is probably PSA 7/8 quality, the older stuff (Stanfill included) is probably PSA 6/7 quality. Some would make nice 7's, some would be 5's. If they were gradeable, they would be graded in all honesty. If you need raw ones, I'd be happy to hook you up, but don't buy these with the expectation of grading them. They're not worth grading. Just want you to be aware. >>

Spoken like a true hobby gentleman!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's about 1/4 of the raw I have to scan. Quite honestly, you could think of me as NESC. It's singles I got from busting wax or buying in lots or what have you that weren't really gradeable. Most of the newer stuff is probably PSA 7/8 quality, the older stuff (Stanfill included) is probably PSA 6/7 quality. Some would make nice 7's, some would be 5's. If they were gradeable, they would be graded in all honesty. If you need raw ones, I'd be happy to hook you up, but don't buy these with the expectation of grading them. They're not worth grading. Just want you to be aware. >>

Spoken like a true hobby gentleman! >>

Agreed - Josh is one of the few people that I trust implicitly.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Aw, thanks guys. image I bought many of them with the intention of having them graded, heck, I have a box with about 500 cards sitting in it waiting to go to PSA. I also had a ton of raw sets from the 80's that I b@stardized in an attempt to get cards for my various key card sets, now I am filling them back in with the nicer ones I get that are raw. Got another hundred or so raw cards scanned and just signed up for Auctiva. Looks easy enough, but I don't see a place to put in preferences to save. ie. shipping costs, paypal address etc. Maybe it does it after you enter it the first time. Wish me luck, I've got 200+ auctions to start listing. This should be fun. :
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! Nice pick up Jason! image >>

Great card, that will fit nicely in your sets!!

joe
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! Nice pick up Jason! image >>

I wish...Not for keeps, just picked it up for a friend.

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    And yet ANOTHER PSA 9 Len Dawson rookie listed tonight.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    So was a PSA 10 Larry Allen and a PSA 10 Willie Roaf... image

See what kind of offers they garner.

• Options
    I must have missed it - what did Jason pick up?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>So was a PSA 10 Larry Allen and a PSA 10 Willie Roaf... >>

Wow, you're really shooting for the moon with those BINs!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>So was a PSA 10 Larry Allen and a PSA 10 Willie Roaf... image

See what kind of offers they garner. >>

My max price on the Allen 10 isn't even close so I won't bother with the offer..lol

Tough card though...

Jason
  • Options
    Shoot for the moon, see what the offers come in at. I have a price on both that I would sell them at. I have offers over $700 on the pair already, no official offers via ebay yet though. I'll let em ride for a while and see what happens. I've had a lot of interest in them but no idea what to price them at. I know what the private sale of the other ones sold for and my BIN's are very close. Maybe MOSH will buy them. image
  • Options
    I saw that jason won the PSA 10 J. Riggins RC. Congrats Jason. Aggressive bidding, but there seemed to be quite a bit of interest in that card above the $1500 level.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    So I finally got a chance to check out the NFL network today that Jason has been telling us about. Went to a bar for a beer with some friends, and they had individual Tv's in each booth, I stumbled across the NFL network in my booth.

For 1/2 hour I watched the Giants in training camp, followed by a recap of Da Raiders 83 season where they eeeeked a victory by the Seahawks in the AFC championship, and went on to win the SB. Interviews of Allen, Hendricks, Christiansen, and Alzado in all his glory (pre brain cancer)

If I had that, i would never leave the house. My friends were getting mad enough at me for watching more TV than talking, I cant imagine ignoring my wife for 3 hours to watch "the drive" , or try to explain why I had to watch it.

How many of your guys have the NFL network?

joe
  • Options
    I have it Joe. I mentioned a few days ago that they had a "10 Most Elusive Runners" show on last week. I think it was originally aired a few years ago, but it was great. Barry was # 1, followed by Sayers. Cunningham, McElhenny, Faulk and Grange were a few of the others.
  • Options
    Oh ya, I remember you mentioning that Andy. I guess its like someone telling you about Disney land, and then you going and seeing it for yourself.

Do you ever leave the house when the top 10 RB's is on, that would be really cool to watch. Not a big Raider fan, but trust me, I was glued to the TV watching a recap of the 83 Raiders season. That Marcus Allen cut back in the superbowl for a touchdown is classic.

Jason was saying they replay alot of older games, the classics. I had to leave, but they were replaying a Falcons and 49 game later, but were advertising some other classics.
  • Options
    I don't know why, but aside from the awesome highlights you see on the NFL Network, I get the biggest kick out of hearing some of the greats of the game speak glowingly about fellow great players they played against. You find that a LOT with guys who played against Barry Sanders. I don't think there's really a higher compliment a player can be paid than to have his opponents rave about him.
  • Options
    So I was just checking some stats today and found something that rather surprised me. If Marvin Harrison finishes the upcoming NFL season with the same number of receiving yards he had last year, he will move into SECOND PLACE on the all-time list. 1,366 more yards would give him 15,063, a little more than Tim Brown (14,934), who is currently in second place. 15,063 would put Harrison 7,832 yards away from Jerry Rice's 22,895. It's an extremely tall order, and I for one really never thought we'd see Rice's record eclipsed, but can Harrison do it? At the very least, now I know why Rice hung on so long past his prime!
  • Options
    the NFL Network is the best - I could watch it 24/7. The America's Game Series (Super Bowl Champions) is a must see for any FB fan.
    Some of the old AFL and even WFL segments are great as well.

J
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>So I was just checking some stats today and found something that rather surprised me. If Marvin Harrison finishes the upcoming NFL season with the same number of receiving yards he had last year, he will move into SECOND PLACE on the all-time list. 1,366 more yards would give him 15,063, a little more than Tim Brown (14,934), who is currently in second place. 15,063 would put Harrison 7,832 yards away from Jerry Rice's 22,895. It's an extremely tall order, and I for one really never thought we'd see Rice's record eclipsed, but can Harrison do it? At the very least, now I know why Rice hung on so long past his prime! >>

Marvin is just awesome. It's too bad he was a little older when he entered the league. I think he was closing in on 24 years old instead of entering at say 22. He might have lost two precious years of production. He'll end up second all-time in every receiving category. It always helps playing with a great QB too. Look at how much his stats started climbing per year when Peyton came to town. He's a lock first ballot guy no doubt. Rice had Montana, Young, and Gannon. Harrison has Manning.

NFL network: I would love to get it too but my cable company doesn't offer it. It's on the dish network so I might have to make a change soon. I miss all those old NFL highlights they use to play on ESPN late at night. Now ESPN programming consists of the Poker tour and American Gladiators.
  • Options
    NFL Network is awesome...

Oh yeah, and this thread was on page 2, so I had to bump it. image
  • Options

<< <i>NFL Network is awesome...

Oh yeah, and this thread was on page 2, so I had to bump it. image >>

Anyone else see the latest "Top 10" on NFL Network? Was the Top 10 Single Season Performances...At #3 they had Don Hutson and his dominant 1942 season, which they show quite a few of his VERY RARE highlights/game film...#4 they detailed Night Train Lane's 14 INT season...A TWELVE GAME season!!!

Gotta love the old black and white footage....

Jason
  • Options
    $260 for a PSA 9 '75 Cliff Harris???

Wow
  • Options

<< <i>$260 for a PSA 9 '75 Cliff Harris???

Wow >>

Wow!! Who is Osclabs, Ive seen them buying up some good cards lately? Are they on the boards?

joe
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just upgraded my Ray Nitschke from a 7 to an 8. Most I have ever paid for one card in my life. I will have to sell the 7 to make up some of the cash.
  • Options

<< <i>Just upgraded my Ray Nitschke from a 7 to an 8. Most I have ever paid for one card in my life. I will have to sell the 7 to make up some of the cash. >>

That's a must-have card for a diehard Packers fan like yourself, and now you have it in the highest grade attainable (for the average collector). Congrats!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well as much as I like the NFL network, I am glad to see the chatter come back to cards!!!

troy nice card!!! 63 are tough to find in 8 and above holders.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

Wow >>

Wow!! Who is Osclabs, Ive seen them buying up some good cards lately? Are they on the boards?

joe >>

His name is Danny - he's on the boards under the same name. I've sold him 3 PSA graded Cowboys cards... I guess that he's making a push to finish his Cowboys rc set.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

Wow >>

joe >>

He is on the boards, in fact he made quite a push for my PSA 10 Larry Allen. It however sold to someone else, I'll let the winner of it (and the Roaf) reveal themselves. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wow >>

joe >>

He is on the boards, in fact he made quite a push for my PSA 10 Larry Allen. It however sold to someone else, I'll let the winner of it (and the Roaf) reveal themselves. image >>

Congrats Josh!

I hope you got what you were looking for. Both are real toughies...Just means more cards for your collection..image

At least that's where all my money from sales go (and then some..lol)

Jason
  • Options
    I did well with them, and both sides are happy. Now begins the quest of replacing them. image

I have a couple raw Roaf's I'll send in, but they're 9's at best and I have 2 Allens at PSA right now, both 8's at best I think. But they'll fill a hole. Once my ebay sales are done I have to make the decision on doing my 500 card submission that's sitting on my desk, or buying a couple cards I'd really like to get my hands on. Notably a PSA 9 Montana rc, PSA 10 Emmitt and the remaining 48 Leafs I need. Or I could drop it all on a 33 Sport Kings Thorpe or Grange I suppose. Decisions, decisions. I have the whole weekend to think about it while I'm drinking beer and fishing for big Northern's. I can't wait.
  • Options
    Here's a cool article on NFL.com about future HOF'ers.

NFL - HOF'ers of Tomorrow

Edited to say, we did a pretty good job picking them I think.
  • Options
    According to this writer, here are 2 that we missed on:

Walter Jones, T, Seattle Seahawks
    Decision: Welcome to Canton.
    For the past seven years, he has been the best offensive lineman in the league. That's high praise.

Warren Sapp, DT, Oakland Raiders
    Decision: Welcome to Canton.
    He might be the surliest player in the league -- how was he left off Freeman's All-Jerk squad? -- but he was a dominant inside player for a long time. Like him or not, he should go in.

I voted for Walter Jones on our initial vote. He's definitely one of the guys we will need to re-visit next year when we discuss new additions. He's at LEAST equal to if not greater than Orlando Pace...

Jason
  • Options
    Earl Campbell Today

Earl is the reason I started loving football. It only took one game on a Monday night that I'm sure a lot of you guys remember also. I loved his punishing style of running. Even though he is in terrible shape these days as you can see from this article, I love the way he refuses to blame football even though we all know that not the case. The condition of our past football heroes has been getting a lot of press lately. Does anyone know if there are any charities that are set up to help with ex NFL palyer's medical bills, etc.?
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    What they left out of that story is that Earl was in a car wreck a week and a half ago, and that is why he was using a walker. Yes, he does have health issues relating from the great abuse he took as such a punishing and never giving up until he was on the ground runner, he is far from a bumbling mess as that article makes him out to be. That article is absolutely correct in the beating Earl's body took and how so many former NFL players are basically left out to dry for future healthcare, but is not correct that Earl cannot walk around without a walker. I work with his wife's good friend and have had a few conversations through her with Earl.
  • Options
    The media does tend to amplifiy everything, but car wreck withstanding he does have trouble walking. I saw him about 3 years ago receive some type of award at a Titan's game. He had to driven onto the field via golf cart while the other ex players walked to mid field.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I loved watching Earl Campbell play too. I remember seeing him run for 199 and a few TD's on Monday night. Just bulling over people. Power and speed, a rare combination.

I wonder how other tough runners who dished out their own amount of pain on defenders are doing these days. Guys like Rick Casares of the Bears from the 1950's, Larry Csonka who is now in his 60's, and Jim Taylor of the Packers who is in his 70's.

I think Jerry Kramer of the Packers is involved with retired players who are now struggling. To help them get more pension money from the NFL. I'm not sure what his organization is called however.