Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

I just have to share my happiness, so please forgive me.

I just added 60+ cards to my Ripken Set Registries, and now I'm ranked 2nd in the Basic Set with 70.3% complete (out of 330 cards), and I'm ranked 4th in the Master Set with 10.54% complete (out of 2210 cards). SWEET!!

I won't be in second for long, because the person in 3rd (Basic Set) has one of the most impressive sets I've ever seen. He has 62.12% of the set complete, and they're ALL TENS!! Mine only has a weighted GPA of 9.21. He is only .02 below me in the Set Rating category, so I wanted to feel proud while I still can.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Congrats Jeff!! I dont have the discipline to do a set that big. I am a huge Ripken fan though.
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations...

from #6 on the basic set.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    congrats as well
    big ripken fan
    i have a lot of ripken raw from my childhood, great collection

are you going up to Cooperstown this summer, it will be an oriole haven for a weekend? i'm sur ethere will be a few ripken cards available that weekend, i can't wait

GO O'S!!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Yes, I will be in Cooperstown that weekend with my Brother and my Father. I wouldn't miss that for the world. That place is gonna be PACKED!
    Does anyone know why the Ripken Basic Set has recently jumped up from 333 cards to 489 cards?!?!?! I went from having the set over 76% complete to only 52% complete!! Luckily I had already submitted my 75% complete freebie request, and I already got my vouchers in the mail, but this still sucks!!
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    It's because of the crap they are doing with the Primary set now. Now the Primary set is basically what the Basic set was supposed to be, and they've added basically anything that isn't a parallel or insert into the basic set. Even his minor league issues. It just boggles my mind how his rare minor league issues are considered basic. Also the discs, stickers, Meadow Gold, Drake's, Fleer Box sets, etc... It's quite dumb IMO.
  • I've seen the number of 'oddball' issues that are considered part of the basic set...how did that get through?

I'd think that the collectors of the basic set should get together and weed out the extraneous issues...would make the basic set truly a basic set again, and get rid of the riff raff.
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it would help though, apparently it was PSA's call to add all the oddball stuff to the basic set so they could make the primary set. There's a few threads about the excess in the basic sets and it basically sounds like PSA doesn't care even after people bring it to their attention.
    Wow... that's a lot for that card.

2001 Topps Auction

edit: This is a Pop 4 by the way.
    Yea, I was watching that auction...I had a feeling it would go over $100. There seems to be a lot of Ripken collectors right now.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I have the 5th highest Basic set which I started with my tax return back in Feb. Since I've been tracking my collection I've seen 7 new ones pop up. Definetly been fun. Just hit 50% this weekend! Been Sandbagging on the Rookies though. Maybe next Tax Return I'll get one of them.
    I've been watching your set rise! Nice cards! I like the amount of 10s you have. At first I started to collect only 9s and 10s, but lately I've been upgrading my 9s, and only buying 10s when available. I'm only buying Basic Set cards at the moment, but I'm getting to the point where I have to start submitting my own raw cards to finish the set. I'm well on my way. I've noticed Michael Wynne hasn't stopped collecting, even though his set is "retired" or at least not clickable. I would love to be able to view his set again! Anyway, have fun!
    My progress has slowed a lot recently. Money got kinda tight for a couple months. But it should be picking up here soon. Only about 20 of the cards on my registry were submitted by myself. I actually have 25 that I'm submitting at the end of the month. Hopefully I'll pull a few 10's. The rest I bought on EBAY or at local shows. I'm really trying to get the 80's knocked out before diving deep into the 90's.

As for the Michael Wynne collection I remember one day I took a look at his percentage and figured that he had like 20 cards to go or something like that. Then I actually found the PSA 10 pops for every card and in a way figured what cards he needed to complete his set. Regardless his set is amazeing, and when it's finished I wouldn't be surprised if it gets put in the Hall of Fame.
    The only thing I'm curious about is, I bought a ton of cards off of him from his set when he decided to retire it. Once I registered the cards I bought off of him, his set was retired and there it sat. His numbers didn't go down. Now I see that he's adding cards to his set again, but it's still retired. I'm wondering how that whole retirement thing works. Unless he replaced the cards that he sold me. I don't know... still a very nice guy to deal with!
    As far as I know his set has never been retired. Then again I've only been looking at it since about February. I know all the retired sets that I've seen have a big bold black R next to them.
    So I've been looking at the set and trying to figure out which are the hardest cards in the set to acquire in high grade.

My Vote is for:

1985 Topps
    1986-88 Leaf
    1992-94 Pinnacle
    Definitely the 1985 Topps, with only 7 10s and 138 9s. Also, I agree with the '86 to '88 Leaf. The Pinnacles I've managed to get two out of those 3 in 10s. One you didn't mention yet is the 1982 Fleer, with only 84 10s. 1982 Topps too... I think it's more of a centering problem. Also, the 1996 Studio. For some reason it has a hard time getting a 9 or 10. I'm not sure what the deal is with the 1985 Topps. I should sub all of my raws to see if I can get lucky! Out of my entire collection, I've only submitted about 30 myself, including my 1982 Topps Traded that I've had in a screw-down case since 1987. I bought it at a card show for $9, got it back last year in a PSA 9! I was pretty happy about that one.

Here's my last Ripken sub:

01 1 14095238 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 PINNACLE 214 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 2, 1 HIGHER)
    02 1 14095239 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 STUDIO 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 4, 0 HIGHER)
    03 1 14095240 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1999 FLAIR SHOWCASE 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. ROW 3 (POP 2, 3 HIGHER)
    04 1 14095241 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1995 ULTRA 258 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 3, 0 HIGHER)
    05 1 14095242 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1996 ULTRA 11 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 1, 0 HIGHER)
    06 1 14095243 MINT 9 1998 ULTRA 143 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 1, 0 HIGHER)
    07 1 14095244 MINT 9 2000 ULTRA 170 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 2, 0 HIGHER)
    08 1 14095245 MINT 9 2002 ULTRA 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 3, 0 HIGHER)

01 1 14097799 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1993 PINNACLE 20 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 2, 4 HIGHER)
    02 1 14097800 GEM MINT 10 1994 ULTRA 9 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 3, 10 GRADED)
    03 1 14097801 MINT 9 1995 LEAF 134 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 5, 2 HIGHER)
    04 1 14097802 MINT 9 1995 STADIUM CLUB 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 5, 3 HIGHER)
    05 1 14097803 MINT 9 1996 BOWMAN 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 4, 2 HIGHER)
    06 1 14097804 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1996 DONRUSS 145 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 1, 5 HIGHER)
    07 1 14097805 MINT 9 1996 SP 30 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 2, 1 HIGHER)
    08 1 14097806 MINT 9 1996 STADIUM CLUB 424 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 2, 4 HIGHER)
    09 1 14097807 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1996 STUDIO 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 1, 4 HIGHER)
    10 1 14097808 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 ULTRA 11 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 4, 1 HIGHER)
    11 1 14097809 MINT 9 2000 SP AUTHENTIC 20 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 9, 3 HIGHER)
    12 1 14097810 GEM MINT 10 2001 STUDIO 3 CAL RIPKEN JR. (POP 9, 12 GRADED)

<< <i>As far as I know his set has never been retired. Then again I've only been looking at it since about February. I know all the retired sets that I've seen have a big bold black R next to them. >>

I guess I thought it was retired since I couldn't view it. He must just have it set to private maybe? I dunno...
    You are correct. When they set their privacy to "ON" their set isn't visable to the public. To see some retired sets go to the T206 registry for example. When you get there under the top 5 All-Time Finest there will be a link: "Click here to view the entire all time finest list." you'll see about 20 Retired sets, they're the ones with a boxed in R in the weighted GPA box. Hope this clears it up for you.
    That makes sense. I just don't know why you would want to post your set online just to have it private.
    Did you see the 95 Fleer PSA 10 that was just put up for $100? I'll be really surprised if he gets that much for it.
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>Did you see the 95 Fleer PSA 10 that was just put up for $100? I'll be really surprised if he gets that much for it. >>

Me too, that guy is known for being a little off.
    Yeah, I figured maybe he was inspired by the 2001 Topps card. He may not actually want to sell it, unless someone wants to pay $100 for it.

I'm going to concentrate on submitting my own raws for now, unless a card on my "need list" pops up on the bay. I have 4 vouchers that I can send in right now, so I'll try to take care of some more low pops.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Did you see the 95 Fleer PSA 10 that was just put up for $100? I'll be really surprised if he gets that much for it. >>

A couple things about that seller:

First, he's a liar. That card is a pop 2.

Second, I've had dealings with him before and Roger is 100% right when he says the guy is a little off. I bought a graded Tony Gwynn card from him about six months ago and he ends up sending me not only the card but a DVD called 'Butt Studs' and the room number of a motel in Newark. Very classy.
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>

A couple things about that seller:

First, he's a liar. That card is a pop 2.

Second, I've had dealings with him before and Roger is 100% right when he says the guy is a little off. I bought a graded Tony Gwynn card from him about six months ago and he ends up sending me not only the card but a DVD called 'Butt Studs' and the room number of a motel in Newark. Very classy. >>

You would think with only 2500 cards in his ebay store he would find time to check the pop reports everyday to make sure all of his listings are update with the right pop reports.

<< <i>I bought a graded Tony Gwynn card from him about six months ago and he ends up sending me not only the card but a DVD called 'Butt Studs' and the room number of a motel in Newark. Very classy. >>

See, that ticks me off... I've bought TONS of cards off this guy... where's MY DVD?!?!
    I think the 2002 Fleer Tradition card is gonna be really tough also. I looked into it a bit. The Ripken #2 card is a Short Print. Plus the boxes are going for $60-$70 on Ebay. There are 36 packs per box and short print are typically inserted 1:3 packs. I see this as a card that will truely hinder everyone on the registries sets.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much the 1982 Fleer PSA 10 has been selling for of late? Are there still less of those in PSA 10 than the 1982 Topps Traded?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

<< <i>Does anyone know how much the 1982 Fleer PSA 10 has been selling for of late? Are there still less of those in PSA 10 than the 1982 Topps Traded? >>

There are (85) Fleer and (81) Topps Traded PSA 10s. I'm not sure how much they're been selling for recently. More than I want to spend right now...

<< <i>I think the 2002 Fleer Tradition card is gonna be really tough also. I looked into it a bit. The Ripken #2 card is a Short Print. Plus the boxes are going for $60-$70 on Ebay. There are 36 packs per box and short print are typically inserted 1:3 packs. I see this as a card that will truely hinder everyone on the registries sets. >>

Wow, you have a point there... there are none graded, and there are only 2 raw cards on the bay at the moment. One is pretty OC, and the other is using a stock photo (I think). I better try to pick up some raw cards somehow, to send in... thanks for helping me notice that one!
    Does anyone have a 1987 Topps Ripken PSA 10 for sale or trade? Please let me know if so.
    I'm so stoked right now! I won that 86 Leaf PSA 10 that was up last night! Cost me only like $45. I've sent in 5 86 Leaf Ripkens and got back 4 8's and a 9OC. So I'm glad to finally put this one to rest.
    I was planning on bidding on that card last night, but my power went out due to the wind storm we got (Northeast Ohio). I'm not too upset about missing out on it, I don't want to upgrade that one yet. Nice pick up!
    I pulled everything out of my set on the registry that wasn't a 10 (except for my Fleer RC just because it would drop me to 6th) including the 86 Leaf PSA 9OC that I had. So at least I can shore up the hole I just made.

I'm trying to put together a PSA 10 set, so having a couple non 10's was really irritatng me. I don't know why. I'm just like that about certain things.

Right now I'm eyeing the 96 Topps PSA 10 thats on the Bay right now. If I can pick that one up it should bring me back up to 50% so I'm not too stressed about the completion % right now. Plus I'm gathering together a bunch of Ripken's that I picked up at a card show this past weekend. Hopefully a couple will grade out. I plan on submitting:

1 88 Topps
    1 91 Fleer
    2 91 Studio's
    4 91 Ultra's
    4 94 SP's
    Plus anything else I can pick up before the end of the month.

<< <i>Does anyone know how much the 1982 Fleer PSA 10 has been selling for of late? Are there still less of those in PSA 10 than the 1982 Topps Traded? >>

SMR has them at $430 but I think I've seen them going for between $350-$380.

As far as pop there are (81) PSA 10 82' Topps Traded & (85) PSA 10 82' Fleer. So yes there are less of the Fleer then the TT

Hope this helps...
    I limited my set to 9s and 10s simply for money reasons. I'm slowly upgrading the ones that I can. I do have (5) 8s and (1) 8.5 in my set that came from my own personal sub, but (3) of them are the highest graded of that card, and the others have a very low pop. Those will be upgraded all in good time. I gotta respect the sets that are all 10s. That takes a lot more patience than I have. I started buying some raws that I will be submitting this week, so wish me luck! I may have some extras that I could send your way! It's good so see someone else whos as passionate about this set as I am!
    Once you get close to the 90% mark, I would put your 9s back in to help you get over 90% so you can at least get your free grading vouchers. Those are always nice! image

There's a 1991 Studio on the Bay right now, but it's a bit high for my taste. That same card by the same seller didn't sell for $20 not too long ago.

<< <i>Once you get close to the 90% mark, I would put your 9s back in to help you get over 90% so you can at least get your free grading vouchers. Those are always nice! image

There's a 1991 Studio on the Bay right now, but it's a bit high for my taste. That same card by the same seller didn't sell for $20 not too long ago. >>

I saw that and thought about grabbing it, but I know that of the 2 that I'm about to send in at least 1, if not both are going to be a 10.

Growing up, even though I was a die hard Red Sox fan, Ripken was my favorite player. I used to look at his cards and try to mimic his batting stance when I was in little league! He always had a great attitude and was always giving back to the community which I admired. I have an 800 ct box filled with raw cards of his. I went through and pulled out stuff that I could use when I first started this set but didn't get many 10's. I have no idea what I'm gonna do if/when I finish this set but you never know.
    I think I'm gonna set up a photobucket account when I get home and start putting pics of my set up. Been meaning too, just never got around to it. Girlfriend just deployed to the Persian Gulf so I have a ton of time that just opened up.
    You should post them up on the registry, I like when people do that. I have all mine scanned and up, but I don't like my scans. They're really blurry.

I've been collecting Ripken cards since 1987. I've grown up two states away from my Father, he lives in northern Maryland. My Brother and I would visit him about 2 weeks out of the year (since I was 2 years old). He would take us to Orioles games whenever he could, so some of my favorite memories of my Dad was at Memorial Stadium watching the O's. By default I turned into a Ripken fan. I would collect any card that I could get my hands on. I have over 3500 raw Ripken cards. It's strange, because I really only collect his cards. I only have one autograph, it's a ball that I got for my 18th birthday. It was before COAs were a must. I have a couple boxes of magazines (SIs and Becketts), but that's about it. I kindof figured that my hoarding of Ripken cards is my subconscious missing my Dad. It makes sense.
    I just bought 5 boxes of '87 Leaf. Hopefully I'll pull a Ripken or 2 worth submitting. If nothing else I can at least submit all the Bonds and Maddux RC's. I think there are a couple more big RC's also, like Bo Jackson, Mark Maguire, or Rafael Palmeiro. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky.
    I have one of the (11) 9s, and there's only (1) 10 so far. Good luck! I've had some luck in the past submitting 1987 Donruss, never tried Leaf.
    I've already gone through 7 boxes of '86 and 5 boxes of '87 with none even close to a 10! The biggest issue is the centering. It's painful to look at some of these cards. That's why I jumped all over the '86 that was just on Ebay. Also a few months back I saw the '87 pop up on the bay. It went for almost $200 if I remember correctly.
    I bet Michael Wynne has it...

I have (3) '86 Leafs that I might get lucky on (on one anyway). Maybe I'll sub them this week too. Might as well do them all at once!
    I don't know how much I believe Michael Wynne's collection. It seems like every time a really rare PSA 10 appears on Ebay his collection gets updated. I think he could be just taking the serial #'s from cards that appear on Ebay and then entering them into his set. You said yourself that you bought a bunch of cards from him a while back so I really don't know how willing I am to believe his set. If he unlocked his set and posted a couple pics of his rarer cards then I'll believe it.
    His ebay name is holdyoudada, when he out bids you, you know it, because it hurts. He is actually still buying high-dollar Ripkens. I saw him bid on one recently. I was looking back at my past emails, and as it turns out, he offered me a lot, but I didn't buy as many as I thought. I did however buy a ton off of another guy who broke up his set, and at the same time deleted it from the registry. THAT guy by the way, is a very generous person. Just recently he gave me three leftover PSA Ripkens that he found in his collection, just out of the blue. He's a member of this board. I don't want to say his name because I'm not sure that he wants me to. All I know is, that was very cool of him.

WOAH!! What the heck happened to that 1996 Topps PSA 10?? That sucks. I hope you get it (I'm not trying for it).
    I just looked at his profile on Ebay and saw the cards he's been buying (the 2001 Topps card that just went for $130+) so I guess I have to retract the statement I made earlier. It looks like he's just a big Orioles fan. Everything he bought was Ripken, Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer, etc

You were right on how he outbids everyone. His star rating is almost 1200 and he's definitely thrown down some cash for a lot of his cards.
    Sorry to see you missed out on that '96 Topps. Too rich for my blood.
    Yeah I'm not going to pay that much for a card that is so readily available. Had it been something from the 80's, when quality control wasn't as stressed as it is now, I could see paying that much. But everything from the 90's is gonna be better off then something from 10 years prior. Take the 85 Topps Ripken #30 and the 2001 Topps Ripken #1.

1985: (7) 10's and (138) 9's. That is 1.28% and 25.23% respectfully of the (547) Graded
    2001: (4) 10's and (13) 9's. That is 14.29% and 46.42% respectfully of the (28) Graded (Note: None graded lower than an 8)

Basically what I'm saying is spend the money on a card that you have a 1% chance of getting, as opposed to spending it on a card that you could just as easily pull from a box, send in, and have a 14% chance of getting graded a 10; not to mention everything else you are going to pull from the box. It all boils down to lazyness and a lack of effort.