Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    wow, gotta love that Namath 'do. The Bradshaw is very nice, but that Payton has incredible clarity, those are some really stunning football cards.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still kindof new to the PSA world, but I am very proud of my Ripken Sets. Out of the 156 cards in my Ripken Basic Registry (47.56% complete), 38 cards are PSA 10, the rest are all 9's. (yay)

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    T Bank, those are exceptional 80T's. That's a tough set to find that kind of quality.

Nice 83D - but I have to say I hate that yellow baseball bat for their name.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    AJ6 where do you keep coming up with these great Venezuelan cards. The 64 Brooks Robinson looks great.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are really outdoing yourselves image

Many great cards, spread across several decades, companies and sports, over the last couple of pages.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Wilt!

rd

image >>

HOT DAMN! RBD, that Wilt is SWEET!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Like the Ripkens!! To bad UD let the presses run on their 92 BB set. I think there is some excellent photography in that set, nice to have in binders, but only the star cards might be worth grading. Picked up this one, a Pop of 5, with only 2 higher:

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    How did we let the 5000th posting on this thread come and go without a celebration?!?!? This is huge, and has been a favorite thread of mine (and a lot of others) for a long time now! Congrats guys - let's make it another 5000!!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Joe Black (1924-2002)

Career: 1952-57 Dodgers, Reds, Senators
    RHP, Mostly Relief
    Innings Pitched: 414
    Record: 30-12
    ERA: 3.91
    World Series: Record: 1-2 ERA: 2.82

After beginning his career in the Negro Leagues, Black won Rookie of the Year honors as a 28-year-old reliever for the 1952 Dodgers. He won 14 in relief and added 15 saves, using a blazing fastball and tight curve.

At season's end, Dodger manager Chuck Dressen started him twice (a win and a loss) to prepare him for starting the first game of the World Series. Black won 4-2, but then lost two close games (also starts) 2-0 and 4-2. His victory was the only one by a black pitcher in the Series until Mudcat Grant won in 1965.

In spring training the next year, Dressen insisted that Black learn several new pitches. He lost control of the two that had brought him success and was never effective again.

reference: baseballlibrary.com

rd

• Options

Here's a lot of (4) obscure baseball players! (Carew, Aparicio, Carlton & Berra) image

rd

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Wilt!

rd

image >>

Those '70s BB cards with the backwards jersey make me laugh. I imagine the photographer saying "OK, can you just turn your shirt around for me now"
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    My latest additions:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

Funny story about this card (a bit silly, but true!)...

I purchased it, thinking it was a card of Earl Averill, the HOF player who played with the Tribe. But it was a card of his son, Earl "Douglas" Averill (Jr.). (I was pretty silly, as I knew Earl Averill, played in a different "era", and considering I was born in Cleveland, and grew-up as a fan of the Tribe. Stupid me! image ).

Oh well, 1960s Venezuela Topps are pretty scarce. (This one is typical of what I have seen. Think the highest PSA grade for 1960 Topps Venezuela series card was a PSA 6?).

Oh well, at least this card "has a story" for me to tell!

rd

edit: P.S. I think PSA was generous giving my card a PSA 1, u think? image

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 5000 posts!

I have really enjoyed the posts over the past few years - some of the best stuff!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Over 5000 posts!

I have really enjoyed the posts over the past few years - some of the best stuff!

mike >>

I couldn't agree more. This thread has probably saved me thousands of dollars as I feel like I'm collecting vicariously through the rest of you.

Of course, it may have cost thousands of dollars as well as you guys showcase some of the best stuff around and I want a piece. image

All in all, my favorite thread and one that keeps me coming back no matter what.

Arthur
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a great thread, and often gives me ideas for new avenues to pursue (though often not at as high a level.)
  • Options
    Speaking of this thread, I just got a new scanner so you guys can expect the mother of all boxing cards post in the next day or so. image

My apologies of anyone's computer crashes due to the size of it.

Arthur
  • Options
    In some ways this one

Cause it looks like an over 50 year old card that a 14 year old had as NUMBER 1 in his deck held together with rubber bands

Which is EXACTLY what it was back in the day before mint etc etc

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Nice !

• Options
    Very nice Wilt up there;

• Options
    It's been a while since I was able to contribute to this thread. With the moving and traveling I've been without a scanner. Finally picked one up yesterday so I've got some making up to do.

The first things I'd like to post are actually from another thread. These were received by me from Griffins as part of the Secret Santa thread. Needless to say, I was blown away by his generosity and by the cards themselves.

1910 T218's

I've been able to pick up a few Dempseys for my registry.

A gew more Dempseys and, officially, the oldest cards I own.

Slowly accumulating Greenwells to make the request for a player set. I've got two others back home but don't have the cert's so I'm delayed for now.

Picked these up relatively cheap. I think they actually look like 8's.

An E75 of HOFer James Jeffries and another 1902 Ogden's of HOFer Jem Mace.

This Dempsey is a card made by a brewing company based on the artwork of the owner. I thought it was a very attractive card so I picked up a few. The Louis is a 1935 U.T.C.

This next item I'm hoping someone can help me identify. I think it's a 1963 Topps Valentine Foldee, not sure though.

Front:

Back:

These are two Post cards manufactured in France, the 1920s I believe.

I picked up some cards from a set of Belgian Chocolate that I think were made in the 50s. A nice Sugar Ray Robinson was in the group.

I don't know who Mr. Wallace Deponino is but I'm glad he took good care of this for me. image

I won't bore you guys with the rest of the stuff I've gotten. As I'm sure you can imagine, it's all mostly Jack Dempsey stuff.

Arthur
  • Options
    Wow that's a lot of stuff Arthur!

Ya know - I like the Topps foldee cards. I see the proofs and original art at the vault - sports related ones are way too cool.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with you Mike. Do you know anything about the issue? The auction title said it was from 1963 but I haven't been able to find any further info about them.

Thanks

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I agree with you Mike. Do you know anything about the issue? The auction title said it was from 1963 but I haven't been able to find any further info about them.

Thanks

Arthur >>

Not much Arthur - other than they came out in other years besides 1963:

This one was from 1971.

Plus, the "foldee" concept was used by other products besides valentines.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Dang, Arthur. Those are some sweet cards. Way to make up for lost time.

Still waiting to see La Motta, though. image
  • Options
    How many are the proud owner of a Marvin Miller auto?

Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many are the proud owner of a Marvin Miller auto?

image >>

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! MY JAW IS ON THE FLOOR!!

edited to say: I hope Miller finally gets his due and is elected to the Hall of Fame. No one impacted the game more than him in the last 30 years. No one.
  • Options

Love that Miller card. Actually, I just love the fact that there is a Miller card. What set is it from?
  • Options

<< <i>Love that Miller card. Actually, I just love the fact that there is a Miller card. What set is it from? >>

It's from 2005 Topps All-time Favorites - limited to 10 - this one is 10/10.

This was a gift from a board member for sending him Topps Heritage.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I hope Miller finally gets his due and is elected to the Hall of Fame. No one impacted the game more than him in the last 30 years. No one. >>

Agreed, on both counts. His book A Whole Different Ballgame, is excellent.

Likely my last Football cards for a while.

imageimage

Jim and Fred put me into 30th place, (at least for a little while), on the '72 Registry.

I'll pick it back up later in the year. Time to get back to my '67 Baseball efforts.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur, nice additions!

I'm pumped about one of my latest purchases. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

Holy Smokes!!! Nice auto there, halosfan. You SHOULD be pumped. Dang. Nice going.
  • Options
    A little more snow than I was hoping for, but I am happy with it.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nice Schmeling. I loved the guy who played him in Cinderella Man. Bad dude.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>A little more snow than I was hoping for, but I am happy with it.

image >>

Nice card Jordan.

A little Head'n'shoulders will clear that right up. image

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to give you more snow Zef...17 inches here today in Albany, NY....have all you want!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be happy to give you more snow Zef...17 inches here today in Albany, NY....have all you want!!! >>

we've had about a foot and with the wind, there is 2 feet at some points on the ground. My stupid dog loves it. She hops around and dives into it like there is a t-bone at the bottom. She's a 30 pound fearless dog that gets buried in more than 12 inches of snow, and when I want her to just "go" because its snowing, she frolics around like friggin Mickey Mouse on acid.

Here she is the other day when the snow just started.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Some additions to my MVP and CYA sets (rookies when I can get them), and my HoF rookie set:

imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Some additions to my MVP and CYA sets (rookies when I can get them), and my HoF rookie set:
    image >>

Awesome looking Sutter! Those 77's can be a beotch with regards to centering, clarity and print defects...but that puppy looks sweet!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    My first Mantle

• Options
    delete
  • Options
    delete
  • Options
    delete
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    nice mantle
  • Options
    It's been a little while, but I picked these up semi-recently from Mickey's:

and

I like 'em!
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    Rose 14, Is that Rose a candy lid ? Ice Cream lid ? What issue is it ? Nice Stuff of one of my favorite players.

• Options
    Hi. yeah, that's a 1973 Topps Candy Lid. I gave up trying to find a close to perfect centering one, and this one looked pretty good. There's been a few threads on these Candy Lids, and I agree they are pretty cool looking.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, how were the candy lids distributed? What kind of candy were they with? What does "lid" have to do with anything?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Did they make any other Lids during the 70's ??

• Options
    Halosfan, that's a sweet Schmeling. Is that the one that just ended a little bit ago? I was watching it but lost track of it at the end. Are you going to use that for your registry?

Nice find.

Arthur