Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    PSA / DNA CERTIFIED 16X20 AUTOGRAPHED PHOTO
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Halo

Sweet cards! I don't know a lot of these boxers - have ya looked up any of these guys to see who they were and stuff? I've done that with T3 commons since I don't know much about the guys.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>My first T218. I love the colors on these cards

image >>

Tom

I agree - congratulations on your start - the colors are tremendous! And for those who missed the discussion - note the resemblence in the art work between this set and the T9 set:

The litho style cards of the turn of the century are the best - I recommend that people who don't collect this era - at least - pick up a copy to have - they're nice to look at.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Those Jeffries are beauties.

Three just arrived;

imageimage
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    ladder,
    that cobb card is a classic. great addition!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    My laptop is dead, which means no scanner, but I thought I'd add some digital pics. I've been *very* busy adding to my Will Clark collection. I've opened a LOT of bubble mailers in the last week, and this shot shows 92 new cards. Some were a quarter, some were a ten dollar bill, but I don't really remember which is which any more. (Isn't that the way it should work when you're a collector?)

I'm most excited about these cards, though. They're O'Connell and Sons cards, apparently produced by editor of SCD back in the mid 1980s. The cards are on decent stock but the quality control seems a bit lacking. The dimensions vary quite a bit, but I'm thrilled to add the Will Clark to my collection. They only cost a few bucks a piece, probably because not many people know what they are or actively look for them. Many of the old-timer cards use the pictures (or entire design) from vintage Topps card. The images on the Mays cards are quite clearly from the 1958, 1952 and 1959 cards. I wish I knew how many sets were produced, as they don't seem to show up on eBay very often. This is the first time I've seen the Will Clark. (Check out this link for a little more info on O'Connell cards.)

• Options
    Drew

For you - what's the most "oddball" Clark item you own?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Very nice looking cards guys!!

I wish everyday was a mailday like todays . .cards for both of my sets

Dave

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    lOVE THE 55 bowman football, now if only the baseball had looked like that!
  • Options
    Hey bigdaddy those are some great looking cards.
  • Options
    Turn.
  • Options
    Turn.
  • Options
    Turn dammit.
  • Options
    Nice Clark collection ajw, I agree that price really shouldn't matter for ones collection.

<< <i> The images on the cards can really be...um...interesting, I guess. Like this one, for example:

I can't imagine Nolan was real happy when he saw that one (assuming he ever has, of course).

<< <i>

I agree once again image
    Even the serial killers on the true crime cards look less... EVIL image

• Options

<< <i>Drew

For you - what's the most "oddball" Clark item you own?

mike >>

I'd say it's probably the random thimble I posted in this thread. I've actually owned it for a while, but only recently rediscovered it in a box I was digging through. I really doubt it's authorized, but I can't really figure out why someone would make plastic thimbles of baseball players. I concentrate almost exclusively on Will's baseball cards, so there isn't a ton of real odd-ball stuff in my collection. I did just pick up a t-shirt from the Will Clark Baseball Academy. A seller on eBay seems to have a case or more that he sells one at a time.

Here's the thimble again, for anyone that missed it.

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Here are some depressing cards I just got back from PSA.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    well that didnt work will. Crack is on bottom edge.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

Worst of the bunch

Cracked bottom lip.

Another cracked bottom lip.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Here are the others from the same submission, they werent cracked.

The Manning is for sale/trade if anyone is interested.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Just got this - a 70T wrapper proof from Topps.

Not sure how I will display it yet? With a real wrapper - and perhaps a pack.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Two more for my Sparky Lyle collection showed up today. The '78 is from a board member.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey bigdaddy those are some great looking cards. >>

Thanks.....1955 is a great year for football! Just got these 2 51 Bowman in the mail today...great looking 6's!

• Options
    Got this today(horrible scan):

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Bigfische, that's a nice Jeffries. Are you going to submit it? In my opinion, any T218 is a good T218. Congrats!

Mike, where are you finding these wrapper proofs? They're really cool and while you don't have to worry about me bidding you up I do appreciate you sharing them with us. Keep 'em coming! image

Arthur
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    BigDaddyBowman - awesome cards, I really like the photo on the Fears, that's one of the better photos that I've seen in the set. Do you collect 1950 Bowman? I always liked the Bednarik card for some reason. Cool stuff.

- Joe
  • Options
    Bigfische - nice T218, I just started that set myself. My lone card will be going out for grading soon!
  • Options

<< <i>Bigfische, that's a nice Jeffries. Are you going to submit it? In my opinion, any T218 is a good T218. Congrats!

Arthur >>

I really doubt it, i am not a psa member and have never submitted cards. I wouldnt mind piggy-backing on someones sub sometime though if i could find someone willing. I have a few cards i would like graded but im not really in a rush. It will be encapsulated one day though.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>BigDaddyBowman - awesome cards, I really like the photo on the Fears, that's one of the better photos that I've seen in the set. Do you collect 1950 Bowman? I always liked the Bednarik card for some reason. Cool stuff.

- Joe >>

Joe..thanks....I collect stars and rookies of all the bowman and early topps issues, with my favorites being 1948, 1950 and 1951. I am close to completing the stars/rookies of all the Bowman issues...a few still elude me though.

Which Bednarik are you referring too..the 1950 or 1951?

• Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    BigDaddyBowman, the 1950 Bowman Bednarik - love that card. For some reason with the big jersey number and the red brick wall, I have always liked the simple colors in that card. Great collection. Do you collect 1953 Bowman Color baseball? Or are you only into football?

- Joe
  • Options
    turn

imagey
  • Options
    turn

imagey
  • Options
    hmmm.......

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>BigDaddyBowman, the 1950 Bowman Bednarik - love that card. For some reason with the big jersey number and the red brick wall, I have always liked the simple colors in that card. Great collection. Do you collect 1953 Bowman Color baseball? Or are you only into football?

- Joe >>

I only collect football, mainly 1948-1959...with a smattering of 1960 and newer. I have to resist the temptation to start vintage baseball...I will really go broke!
  • Options
    Big Daddy,
    I really love those '51 Bowman football cards. I think it is the old team logos that do it for me. A great card design. The Bednarik is off the chart.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Might as well add to the mix - very nice Bowman FB, BDbowman! image
  • Options
    An upgrade for my basic player registry!

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I've picked up a few cards from board members lately. I got additions to my Sparky Lyle and Bill Mazeroski Collections. I initially planned to do the Maz set in 7 and 8, but this six came up for a song.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Bigfische, Very nice Jefferies.

• Options
    It's not a baseball card, but I'm *really* excited about this one. I won this on eBay the same day I saw David Lynch at a screening of his new film Inland Empire. Lynch is an incredible director and a notoriously difficult autograph. This is a fantastic example in bold gold marker on an Inland Empire postcard. It's a just great piece and I couldn't be happier.

By the way, the movie is amazing. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for three hours, but I'm still not really sure what it was about or how a viewer is supposed to put the pieces together. With all that said, I can't recommend it to anyone, as it is, by far, the least accessible film Lynch has ever made. As my girlfriend says, "I hated it." Well, I thought it was amazing, and I can't wait to get this piece framed and up on my wall...

(nice Hughie Jennings, Ladder7. He's on my list of players to add to my collection, as we both graduated from the same law school...)
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great job on the Lynch auto. I usually like Lynch's films, but if this is his least accessible.. that's really saying something.

• Options

<< <i>I initially planned to do the Maz set in 7 and 8, but this six came up for a song. >>

Nice cards Arch
    The 79T Sparky is very well centered - 78 and 79T fans appreciate that!
    So...

What song did you sing? image

Chris

Nice pickup on the Payton card.

Lad7

I like the Jennings - gonna get it holdered?

thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks aj & Stone, I get all my prewar slabbed or my kids/wife will just yard sale this stuff, after I kick off. Also, when selling it gives piece of mind (and more bang) that they're real and unscrewed with. Some buyers are way to eager with the NEGs and you've got to cover your account.

Just unwrapped this R316;

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words on the 1951 bowman guys!

Got my first 1935 National Chicle today.....I have resisted buying these because of the steep price tag....but I won this on ebay for only about 15 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.....problem is I think I am hooked now!

• Options
    BigD
    The 35 NC's are really nice - I especially like the pastel colors of the set. The Matesic is a super looking 4!

Well - nothing like another set - so good luck! What would the Bronko set ya back in a 3 or 4?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>BigD
    The 35 NC's are really nice - I especially like the pastel colors of the set. The Matesic is a super looking 4!

Well - nothing like another set - so good luck! What would the Bronko set ya back in a 3 or 4?

mike >>

Thanks Mike.
    The Bronko would set me back about the cost of my bed.....because my wife would kick me out and I would be sleeping on the couch!
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I guess this is the definition of "eye appeal"....

I won this for about $5.

Because my scanner is terrible, you can't see the crease that runs the length of the lefthand border. It looks like it got crunched in the printing process. Other than that, the card is damn near spotless.

A great addition to my LSU collection.

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    There was another thread the other day talking about Pedro Cerrano from Major League. Here's a personal favorite from my collection (not super new but I never posted it on this thread when I got it) - Cerrano's uniform from Major League II....

• Options
    A new T218.

Apparently Charles made the first round trip flight from New York to Philadelphia in one day.