Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Great stuff guys, that's why this is my favorite thread. image

Just got this Reggie on friday, it's the only one graded this high by Beckett... so says the seller. Does anyone know?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had forgotten I had this proof. I didn't get it from topps but rather from a boardmember a while back.

It was buried - this is a great item for the Carew collectors.

I'm looking forward to PSA holdering proofs as authentic - I think they would look good in the holder and be safeguarded.

Is anyone else working on serious organization? I'm working - but not at any fast pace!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    One last thing...

Does anyone collect team pins?

I have some of these but can't find them anywhere?

Based on having Philly Athletic pins - I would place the date on them at 1954 or earlier.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    nc

I'm clueless on the Leach card.

I like it - good looking - is it his RC?

Nice pickup
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    While Juan Marichal is my new bug, I've also been picking up a LOT of Will Clark cards to add to my gallery. I picked up these three from two different sources. Note the serial numbering...

I also got this card from a board member who emailed me and offered it for free. Thanks, Bob!

These are also some interesting cards. I don't know much about the bookmark, so any info would be appreciated. The Topps cards are from the 2001 Employee set. I've read there were 151 sets produced, and you can sort of see the embossed stamp on each card. Too bad the top card has such bad chipping.

Finally, this is an interesting 1988 Donruss variation. The card on the left is from a wax pack, the one on the right from a factory set. Interestingly, the variation doesn't appear on the main Will Clark card from the set.

• Options
    That's pretty cool having consecutive numbers image

Thanks Stone, yup that's Reggies RC, I also have one of only two graded mint by PSA.

The Beckett card has better eye appeal, but I like the PSA Reggie enough to show it off image

• Options
    Sweet Reggie. I like the centering of the Topps/BVG. That is just a phenomenal set! Nice addition.

NJMH
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

I'd like to meet-up with with PSA grader that graded this slider a PSA 10. And ask him, "if u graded this 100 more times would u even give it a PSA 10, even once?

A PSA 10 of Jim Palmer goes for about $ 200.00 , while a PSA 9 can be picked-up for $10.00 or so.

Makes me wonder what this PSA grader had in mind here? U tell me, here are two examples of mine (this "so called PSA 10" and a PSA 9).

U think there might be a little centering issue on my newly acquired PSA 10? image

rd

imageimage
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Much like AJW above with his Marichal cards, I have branched out past my Perez cards and have started to try and pick off some Vada Pinson cards. Here are some from this month. Still a lot to go but it is fun chasing down some new cards

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    I have not decided what to do with these yet but they were hidden on an ebay listing and I decided to grab them for now.

• Options
    rbdjr1 - that Palmer 9 looks to be trimmed. The sides are all choppy. How's it look in person?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

As far as the bookmarks go, there are some state variations. I've got three different Butlers - Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.

Geordie

• Options
    ajw..fantastic looking marichal rookie.

Got this just today.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Much like AJW above with his Marichal cards, I have branched out past my Perez cards and have started to try and pick off some Vada Pinson cards. Here are some from this month. Still a lot to go but it is fun chasing down some new cards >>

A complete player, maybe the best of his era not in the Hall of Fame. Plus, he was a good looking guy who always looked cool, so his cards are always stellar. Pick up a '67 if you don't already have one, it's one of the nicest cards in that set.

<< <i>Thanks Stone, yup that's Reggies RC, I also have one of only two graded mint by PSA. >>

Glad he's wearing his uniform shorts and not golf pants like Espo on that other card image
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet Reggie. I like the centering of the Topps/BVG. That is just a phenomenal set! Nice addition.

NJMH >>

Thanks, imageimage

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Much like AJW above with his Marichal cards, I have branched out past my Perez cards and have started to try and pick off some Vada Pinson cards. Here are some from this month. Still a lot to go but it is fun chasing down some new cards >>

A complete player, maybe the best of his era not in the Hall of Fame. Plus, he was a good looking guy who always looked cool, so his cards are always stellar. Pick up a '67 if you don't already have one, it's one of the nicest cards in that set.[

GDM67 - Good timing on your post. I picked one up last night, it has not arrived yet but here is the photo of it. I agree, nice looking card.

• Options
    Not sure if I did it right, but here is my first post of a pic. Here are a couple of my last submission. I know everybody probably has a ton of these but I like them. If this works maybe I will put some more up.
  • Options
    Oh well, I tried maybe next time I can get it right.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Couple more:

imageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

stingray,

What's the deal with Darling's flip?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    The Darling card was issued in packs without the #30 on the back of the card, the #30 was added in the factory additions, so there is a flip for both without and with #30.
  • Options
    Kirk, you are going slow and steady on that '84 Donruss set! Good for you! You've picked up a couple of 10s so far I see! image

Here are some recent ones that arrived for my Luis Tiant basic player set (still waiting for it to be an 'official' player set!)

imageimage

And, four cards that recently arrived for my upcoming "Rookies of the '70s" set....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Got these in today's mail...more for my "Rookies of the '70s" set.....

imageimage

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Finally got this in an 8!!!!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Nice Reggie mkg!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
  • Options
    Arny, that's an awesome Duey! image

Really enjoying your RCs of the 70s set. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur
  • Options
    How does that 74 Driessen warrant a 9 with 5 print dots?
  • Options
    Arny

Some sweet cards.

But I have to say - that's a sweet Pedro G. card - I pulled one from a vending box that I think is at least an 8!

He was a great player - who I personally think has flown under the radar - he came up in 78 and played till 1992 - and has a life-time BA of .300!!

Also, why the Garvey card? I went to the same HS as he did - I did not make varsity in senior year - he was not a best friend or anything - in fact - I was best friends with his life-long best friend from his neighborhood - since ST was in the Tampa area - you can see why I/he/many - were Dodger fans.

Great pick ups - you have been picking up some of the nicest cards!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    First two graded TAA cards. A fellow member suggested that I start a registry set, so I did.

#48 with these two cards image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This is BIG!!!!

After 3 years of working - I'm at 60%!!!!

The two new additions: sorry about the size - it was for the registry.

I'm a happy guy.
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanx Geordie

And last for tonite - this is one of the items that I picked up from a tip from Bob aka Bobsbbcards - the price was really, really, really good!

I got some older stuff - I'm gonna have to do some searching since no BB card reference was given to me with the pen & ink art.

This one came with the card - 77T #197 Ed Ott.

I definitely am the "poor-man's CU" baseball art collector. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I definitely am the "poor-man's CU" baseball art collector. image

mike >>

Perhaps but I can promise you that you appreciate your collection more than the over spenders by at least 100 fold image

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Mike -- That '77 Ott art piece is too cool. Nice job.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    That's great art mike - especially when displayed with the card!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Paid what I had to pay but I got it.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    But I have to say - that's a sweet Pedro G. card - I pulled one from a vending box that I think is at least an 8!

He was a great player - who I personally think has flown under the radar - he came up in 78 and played till 1992 - and has a life-time BA of .300!!

mike >>

Guerrero was an absolute monster for most of his career. He's also involved in two all-time great quotes.

Here's one (an exchange between Guerrero and manager Tommy Lasorda in a meeting on the mound):
    "Okay, Pedro," Lasorda said, "the tying run's on, one out in the ninth. What are you thinking?"
    "I'm thinking, don't hit the ball to me," Guerrero said.
    "C'mon, Pete," Lasorda chided, "what else are you thinking?"
    "You really want to know?"
    "Yes."
    "I'm thinking," Guerrero said, "don't hit the ball to Sax either."

The other is from a by OJ Simpson to 911 because his (post-Nicole) girlfriend was "doing drugs with Pedro Guerrero." You need to hear the actual call, as it's pretty hilarious. Apparently, Guerrero was later found not-guilty of a drug conspiracy when his defense lawyer successfully argued that Guerrero wasn't smart enough to realize he was engaged in a drug deal. (really)

Of course, none of this will change my memory of Guerrero terrorizing the National League for a dozen years.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    RedHeart, that's a gorgeous 69 Brock. Tough card in that set, and that's beautifully centered.

Are you working on the Red Heart set? I'm looking at my first Red Heart on eBay - great design.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Stown, those are sweet looking cards, and two I don't have yet for my collection!!!

I'm amazed at how well a nicely centered 5 or 6 presents itself.

Good luck on your set!!

shawn
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Stone, nice pickups on the 63F. Well done on the centering! What are the big names you're still looking for in that set?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    2006 Topps Mickey Mantle Chrome Rookie...

Pretty happy!
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Also picked this up today.

• Options

<< <i>Stone, nice pickups on the 63F. Well done on the centering! What are the big names you're still looking for in that set? >>

Thanx SP

I still need the Mays, Yaz and Koufax.

It's been 3 yrs - as I said - so you can see, I'm in no hurry.

I'm gonna post the final cost of the set vs. SMR when I'm done. I probably won't buy an 8 in the checklist; probably a beater - but not sure.

I rarely get perfectly centered cards since I don't want to pay SMR or above - it's just not that important.
    The money I would spend on that could go to something else - and without my glasses on - they all look like 10s! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Thanks Stone for all the great scans of your 1963 Fleer set!

Some of my favorites :

Vic Power - one of the greatest baseball names ever!

Jimmy Piersall - looks nothing like that guy from 'Psycho'

Don Drysdale = every kid's perfect Dad back then.

Maury Wills - fastest thing on two legs ...

Bob Gibson ... I'm bailing out big-time ... talk about a fast ball!

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you working on the Red Heart set? I'm looking at my first Red Heart on eBay - great design. >>

I am not working on the set but I do own the Mantle and Musial. Those two are enough for me! The Mantle has come up to more of a "Mantle price" in recent years- a nice PSA 8 is around $1300-$1500- but it's still an ownable card compared to his other regional cards of that era including the Dan Dees or Berk Ross. The Musial is one of his nicest cards; right up there with the '53 Bowman.
  • Options
    Here are a couple more from my latest sub

• Options
    Just a couple more now that I know how to load pics, this is great.

Josh

• Options
    Another for the set:

A pop of 5, so far.