Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    ajw,
    nice piece. Entertainment autos are far tougher than sports sigs in my opinion. That one looks great.

<< <i>

>>

• Options
    In an effort to turn the page, I'll post some more stuff from my recent submissions.....

This came back from PSA. Tough living HOFer signature.

• Options
    ....and a couple of new wide pens from SGC....

imageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom

Nice pickup on the Koufax - and I agree - his auto has been getting expensive.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pickup on the Koufax - and I agree - his auto has been getting expensive. >>

Sandy's always been a little reclusive, no? His auto certainly isn't as available as many other HOFers.
  • Options

Nice one, are you going for the whole set? I am just getting boxers for now and am not sure if I will go for the other athletes after that or not.

<< <i>A new T218.

Apparently Charles made the first round trip flight from New York to Philadelphia in one day.

image >>

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    That Koufax is a real beauty. Awesome Wide Pens as well. You must have a great collection.

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice pickup on the Koufax - and I agree - his auto has been getting expensive. >>

Sandy's always been a little reclusive, no? His auto certainly isn't as available as many other HOFers. >>

Correct Red.

But, I just don't remember it being as expensive as the past year or two? It seems like people want it more today? Perhaps I just didn't pay mind.

I have a few of his autos - wish I could say 100% real? I'm sending it off to PSA this month.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>That Koufax is a real beauty. Awesome Wide Pens as well. You must have a great collection.

Robert >>

Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy my collection, and I think it is nice. I find things I like and collect within my means. The Wide Pens are 70 years old and very affordable and I think they look great in SGC holders. I don't like the mylar sleeve that PSA uses.

The T218 are great cards with great color and very affordable as well. I pick a few up when I see them cheap. With cards that are almost 100 years old, I figure the value is in the artwork more than the subject. With T206, there is a whole group of players that I've never heard about, so why not an aviator I haven't heard about. I even get a bio on the back of the card!
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    tkd, great shot of Feller with the old greenmonster in the background!

1939 R303 and another 1929 R316;

imageimage
  • Options
    Although this forum is also about memorabilia - we don't see much.

I believe I'm the only gameboard collector?

Here's one I didn't think I would ever see - Parker Brothers Peg Baseball circa 1908. I have a 40-50s PB Peg game but this one has eluded me.

It's not in good shape - parts of the cover sides are missing - I would grade it Poor - but the main part of the cover and the inside is OK - you can see the style of the batter in the middle of the lid is akin to the T206s e.g.

If I ever see an exmt version of this - I'll be jumping on it - but this one will do fine for now.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Koufax tk!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Ladder,
    those R303's look great in the oversized SGC holder.
  • Options
    tkd; The SGCs are sharp but with that width, a bit obtrusive. Have you seen or can you steer me to photos of these in a PSA holder?..

• Options

Sheet music for the movie - for 2 bucks.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    First professional jersey for Gomes (2001, Princeton Devil Rays, single A), I'm somewhat amazed that I was even able to track it down.

I'm also loving the auto, which is the earliest Gomes example I have ever seen (from late 2001).

First jersey/one of his first MLB jerseys:
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>tkd; The SGCs are sharp but with that width, a bit obtrusive. Have you seen or can you steer me to photos of these in a PSA holder?..

image >>

Per the pop report, 16 have been graded by PSA but I haven't seen any.
  • Options
    found one...

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to a little nudge by our resident Will Clark collector, Drew (ajw), I finally broke down and ordered this card that has been on my wantlist for a very long time.

Rumored to have been printed to as low as 20 copies - 1992 Donruss Diamond Kings Super. I tried to get the scan to the proper dimensions, so you can see the difference between the regular sized card and the Super.

Geordie
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Been a slow couple of weeks, but did win this one:

• Options

<< <i>found one...

image >>

I like the SGC holder better for that issue, but I admit I haven't seen either in person.

For T3s, I like the PSA holder better.
  • Options
    turning
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>found one...

image >>

I like the SGC holder better for that issue, but I admit I haven't seen either in person.

For T3s, I like the PSA holder better. >>

Now that I've seen both R303 slabs, I agree with you. Also, the T3s look lost in the SGC jumbo.

• Options
    I have never seen one of those jumbo Diamond King cards and never knew they existed in the first place. Definately a scarce item you have there.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple more:

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    For quite awhile Donruss made an offer on wrappers for the larger sized Diamond King Sets. I have most of them myself. They make a nice card for autos.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Hit the Motherload today! Second day off of work due to severe wind chill and for some reason many of my recent purchases all came in the mail today....funny how it works. I have been waiting for a couple weeks...and BINGO!..they are all in the box today!

• Options
    New member here

What an interesting site

Not into collecting since I was a teenager but I do have my complete collection of 50 Bowman FB and BB and 51 BB

All the cards were obtained the "Old Fashioned Way " by buying the gum

You usually bought several packs at a time and the extraneous gum went down the nearest sewer
    You could only chew so much

The cards are all "Raw ungraded "

Anyway here is the scan Most will be interested in

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Welcome Bob!
    You have to get those babies graded!!! They look great!
  • Options
    thats great that you were able to purchase them in packs back in the day. some of us are birth year challenged.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    bigdaddy, great 7's.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    If my 70 year old brain remembers correctly

It was a nickel a pack and you got 5 cards and either 1 or 3 sticks of gum

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Sad thing is I was a real baseball fan and really loved collecting the cards but entering sophomore year in HS
    I was embarrased to tell the rest of the class members cause that was what 10-12 year olds did

So like a fool I gave up my collecting just when the 52 Topps came out

In fact until I read about the collecting hobby in 76 in the local paper I didn't even know there was a Topps

I attended the first PHILLY SHOW at Spring Garden College in 76 and right after that The cards came out of the shoe box
    and into plastic page holders and I would look at them once or twice a year

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to a little nudge by our resident Will Clark collector, Drew (ajw), I finally broke down and ordered this card that has been on my wantlist for a very long time.

Rumored to have been printed to as low as 20 copies - 1992 Donruss Diamond Kings Super. I tried to get the scan to the proper dimensions, so you can see the difference between the regular sized card and the Super.

Geordie >>

Geordie, I'm glad I could give you a little push to make that purchase. That's probably the last shot you'll have at one of those for a long time. I wish the seller still had the Will Clark. I don't know if it's true, but I heard these cards were given to Donruss sales reps who were instructed to give them to retailers, likely one at a time. If that's what happened, it's unlikely more than a handful survived, and the ones that did are probably as single cards somewhere in a dealer's back room.

Does the Standard Catalog discuss these cards? Can anyone else shed any light on them? Here's the checklist (for the regular size cards, that is):

1 Paul Molitor
    2 Will Clark
    3 Joe Carter
    4 Julio Franco
    5 Cal Ripken, Jr.
    6 David Justice
    7 George Bell
    8 Fred Thomas*
    9 Wade Boggs
    10 Scott Sanderson
    11 Jeff Bagwell
    12 John Kruk
    13 Felix Jose
    14 Harold Baines
    15 Dwight Gooden
    16 Brian McRae
    17 Jay Bell
    18 Brett Butler
    19 Hank Morrison
    20 Mark Langston
    21 Scott Erickson
    22 Randy Johnson
    23 Greg Swindell
    24 Dennis Martinez
    25 Tom Phillips
    26 Fred McGriff
    27 Checklist

*I pulled this from baseball-almanac.com and I assume this card should be Frank Thomas. I hope the rest is accurate, but I can't make any promises.
  • Options

<< <i>Hit the Motherload today! Second day off of work due to severe wind chill and for some reason many of my recent purchases all came in the mail today....funny how it works. I have been waiting for a couple weeks...and BINGO!..they are all in the box today!

>>

Big Daddy,
    Nice cards! You always have great vintage to show.
    BTW, good thing your mailman wasn't home for severe windchill!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hit the Motherload today! Second day off of work due to severe wind chill and for some reason many of my recent purchases all came in the mail today....funny how it works. I have been waiting for a couple weeks...and BINGO!..they are all in the box today!

>>

Big Daddy,
    Nice cards! You always have great vintage to show.
    BTW, good thing your mailman wasn't home for severe windchill! >>

Thanks... I appreciate the kind words. I don't know who was more excited when our schools were closed.....my wife who also works in our school district or my kids who attend the schools..I have to admit I think us adults were a little happier! I really feel for those who had to work out in the elements...our high yesterday was 9 and the low with wind chill was around -23.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks to a little nudge by our resident Will Clark collector, Drew (ajw), I finally broke down and ordered this card that has been on my wantlist for a very long time.

Geordie >>

Geordie, I'm glad I could give you a little push to make that purchase. That's probably the last shot you'll have at one of those for a long time. I wish the seller still had the Will Clark. I don't know if it's true, but I heard these cards were given to Donruss sales reps who were instructed to give them to retailers, likely one at a time. If that's what happened, it's unlikely more than a handful survived, and the ones that did are probably as single cards somewhere in a dealer's back room.

Does the Standard Catalog discuss these cards? Can anyone else shed any light on them? Here's the checklist (for the regular size cards, that is):

1 Paul Molitor
    2 Will Clark
    3 Joe Carter
    4 Julio Franco
    5 Cal Ripken, Jr.
    6 David Justice
    7 George Bell
    8 Fred Thomas*
    9 Wade Boggs
    10 Scott Sanderson
    11 Jeff Bagwell
    12 John Kruk
    13 Felix Jose
    14 Harold Baines
    15 Dwight Gooden
    16 Brian McRae
    17 Jay Bell
    18 Brett Butler
    19 Hank Morrison
    20 Mark Langston
    21 Scott Erickson
    22 Randy Johnson
    23 Greg Swindell
    24 Dennis Martinez
    25 Tom Phillips
    26 Fred McGriff
    27 Checklist

*I pulled this from baseball-almanac.com and I assume this card should be Frank Thomas. I hope the rest is accurate, but I can't make any promises. >>

Drew, my 2005 SCD annual has the same checklist, with Frank Thomas representing #8. Fred Thomas was born in 1892 and made it all the way until 1986. The short blurb before the checklists also mentions the possibility of these oversized DKs being salesman samples.

Geordie
  • Options
    Bob:

Those are awesome! I think it's great that you still have the exact cards you purchased in the 50's. Welcome to the boards. It is a great and fun place to spend some time. Please post some more scans soon!

Robert
  • Options
    Couple more T218s

imageimage

Melvin won two gold medals in the 1908 Olympics and was a member of the Irish-American Athletic Club
    Harry was a champion middle distance runner and a member of the NY Athletic Club.

• Options

<< <i>If my 70 year old brain remembers correctly

It was a nickel a pack and you got 5 cards and either 1 or 3 sticks of gum >>

Hi Bob

Those 51s are super! And, welcome! I'm no longer the oldest guy here! Thanx!

Mike
  • Options
    BigDaddy

The mailman was very kind!

Nice cards. That's a real sweet 57T Giffer.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, If it ain't my old lost Uncle Bob! image Nice '51s!

Just got through matting and framing this myself. It's kinda sloppy, but quicker than the three weeks from the custom shop (and lots cheaper). I was able to fill in the torn corner with scrapbook paper. Very fragile issue.

M101-7, Sporting News Supplement OCT 28, 1926 'American League Champions',

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Sad thing is I was a real baseball fan and really loved collecting the cards but entering sophomore year in HS
    I was embarrased to tell the rest of the class members cause that was what 10-12 year olds did

So like a fool I gave up my collecting just when the 52 Topps came out

In fact until I read about the collecting hobby in 76 in the local paper I didn't even know there was a Topps

I attended the first PHILLY SHOW at Spring Garden College in 76 and right after that The cards came out of the shoe box
    and into plastic page holders and I would look at them once or twice a year >>

Welcome to the boards uncbob!

I just hope that one day I will be able to show off cards I've had for 55 years!!!
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Yep
    This site really rekindled my interest and I have been looking at my 51s and 50s for two weeks now in addition to reading the threads here

I also have Sport magazine from 51-58( subscription was allowed to lapse when I entered Navy boot camp
    in Feb 59 )

I still enjoy reading the 50 year old articles --bring back a lot of memories

Here is the cover on the April 53 issue

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Looks like a cold spring day for those 26 Yankees

You did a nice job framing

I would be scared to handle 80 year old news type paper

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Very clever Lad7

I didn't notice it until you mentioned the tear. Nice job.

Bob

That's a sweet Mantle cover Sport mag!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here is another of the Mick

March 57

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    uncbob - welcome, and sweet Bowmans! Very nice cards that have lasted you a long time - I hope for another 55 years. Nice Sport Mags as well! image
  • Options
    Last one I have

Oct 56

Cards/Mags