Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Stone! image
  • Options
    Nice Hank/Mick

- I love the trick photography.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already started a thread about it. Picked this up locally today.

Shane

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I finally got this in the mail today:

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    My mailday

Dave
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Kobe
    What did that Dorsett run you if you dont mind me asking
  • Options
    What did that Dorsett run you if you dont mind me asking

$38 and i didn't mind you asking image

Dave
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>What did that Dorsett run you if you dont mind me asking

$38 and i didn't mind you asking image

Dave >>

That Dorsett is a gorgeous card. $38 seems like a steal.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Compared to most other auto'd Dorsett cards, I like that one. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out!
    Thanks for the info, Kobe!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Just back from SGC

imageimage
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my PSA 9s from a recent 1970s Football submission. Real surprised on the 77 O.J. as it has very visible print streaks.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    TTT or bump
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Bumpity
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

I've seen some great stuff - I always enjoy viewing what you guys have picked up.

Hey Frank

That Mantle is a beauty - and the sig definitely looks real to me. I saw the other thread.

I hope you hang onto it.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a tremendous submission. I've always liked the epic look of the '73 Joe Greene and I also always liked the little "1000 Yarder" designation on the '77's.
  • Options
    tkd - very nice Wide Pens. Dont see those around too much. The SGC holder really shows them off too.
  • Options
    tkd, Yea, those wide pens are clear and bright. Nice pickup.

Once in a while I enjoy Modern, though the qualifier stings a wee bit.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    1st submission came back. While I was hoping for better grades, just happy none were rejected due to evidence of trimming image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that Aaron is only a 5 - what are we missing in the scan?

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>I can't believe that Aaron is only a 5 - what are we missing in the scan? >>

I don't know, you tell me image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Rt bottom corner ding?
  • Options
    Stown

The Henry card is still a beauty - great centering.

Not only what appears to be a ding on the lower right corner - but I will bet if ya 10X the corners you will find wear that will not be seen with the naked eye if ya my age!

I - personally - like cards like that since they're affordable and present extremely well.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lad7

I personally like the Jordan OC - that doesn't bother me as much as others - since the OC can be gotten at a bargain.

I have a feeling more come out OC than not from packs.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mother puss bucket, you guys are right.

The "ding" shows up better in the scan than in hand. Need to look at it really closely, at an angle, and in the light.. Looks like two small indentions but the corner is still sharp.

Oh well, it's one fine looking 5 image
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Yea, it's a beautiful '55.

Stone Thankyou, I pulled this Jordan from a pack back in '87. This has been in a screwdown since submitting it a few weeks ago. I think I kept this one above the others because of the perfect corners and edges. I traded away a couple of others, many years ago, they were centered but with light edge and corner wear.

Not unlike '71 t baseball, '86's are chip-prone and even worse centering woes.

This just in... I was expecting a counterfeit due to lousy scans. Pleasantly surprised. Thanks USPS.

• Options
    Instead of a 10x loupe I bought a pair of 3.0 reading glasses at Target. They're great for magnifying the cards - if you don't get dizzy - and you won't miss much of anything with them.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

Regardless of the crease, that card has awesome eye appeal.

Thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    A couple of more for the upcoming Simms registry........

imageimage

• Options
    Topps 59's I picked up in the last few months. Going for every background color - goofy, I know.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A few more for the set:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Spectacular 1959's! I hate seeing all of the great vintage baseball cards that everyone shows...it makes me want to start collecting them..and I would break the bank if I did that. HMMM! Maybe I could tap into my kids college fund????
  • Options
    sidepocket,
    nice collection of '59s, especially the Musial, it looks great in the SGC holder.

tennesseebanker,
    i guess we are both waiting for the Simms registry. You will be all over me.

ladder,
    That Gehrig is awesome. Nice bright colors.

edited to attribute the Gehrig to ladder, sorry stown, someday we'll both have one image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    sidepocket,

those are really swank cards. i don't keep up w/ 59's, but those are cash money.

stown, if that was a common, not aaron, it would be a 7 (at least). you know how "THEY" do it.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>Stown,
    That Gehrig is awesome. Nice bright colors. >>

Wish I could take credit for it but that beauty belongs to Ladder image

<< <i>stown, if that was a common, not aaron, it would be a 7 (at least). you know how "THEY" do it. >>

Or had 4SC submitted image
  • Options
    Two additions from the '78 set breakup. Only 33% more to go to complete the set. image

imageimage
  • Options
    Boy, Reggie did take a hack!

#200 is a great card. Nice job.
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Boy, Reggie did take a hack!

Odds are it was a swing and miss!
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, Reggie did take a hack!

Odds are it was a swing and miss! >>

I'm wondering if the photos are from the same sequence?
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the photos are from the same sequence?

No, he's wearing different wristbands in both cards

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Boy, Reggie did take a hack!

Odds are it was a swing and miss! >>

I'm wondering if the photos are from the same sequence? >>

look similar, except for white and black wristbands.
  • Options
    LADDER7

I'm inferring from your post that you got a good price - I like it!

SidePocket

Those are sweet 59Ts!

I especially like the Frank Robinson!

Are you doing the set?

Sting - as usual nice cards - how many cards do you pick up a week? Wow.

TB - why Phil Simms - if you've answered this before - I must have missed it.

Very nice
    Good nite
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone, I haven't officially started the 59 set. I'm tempted though - it's a bright, colorful set with lots of HOF'rs. Great looking cards when centered. Next up is Maris I hope, then Berra. I also like the 56T and 69T sets. So far I've avoided attempting to build an entire set, mainly because I like to collect from all the years 1952-1969 and focusing on one set would take up all the collecting $!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Stoney, I grew up a Giants fan and Phil Simms was always one of my favorite players. He always displayed extraordinary character and attitude. I think he is/was overshadowed by some of the great Qb's of that time. I still dont know why he doesnt get better HOF consideration.

• Options
    For my 54 set, very happy to finally find a 7!

• Options
    Another Tiant to add to my Collector's Showcase (nearly all cards done!) until the Tiant set comes to fruition....

LUIS TIANT COLLECTION
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>For my 54 set, very happy to finally find a 7!

image >>

Great card Chris!

He's the reason I'm a Raiders fan.

In 1970 he was the Raider's FG kicker and back-up QB.

That year, it seemed that the Raiders were winning games ya thought were out of reach.

Greatest moment/scenario - Lamonica was playing bad and was taken out of the game - Blanda comes in and miraculous takes them down the field - throws a short TD pass - kicks the PAT; Raiders do the onside kick thing - get the ball back - Blanda returns - move them within FG range - STAYS in the game and kicks the WINNING FG!!!!! Now that's entertainment.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For my 54 set, very happy to finally find a 7!

image >>

Great card Chris!

He's the reason I'm a Raiders fan.

In 1970 he was the Raider's FG kicker and back-up QB.

That year, it seemed that the Raiders were winning games ya thought were out of reach.

Greatest moment/scenario - Lamonica was playing bad and was taken out of the game - Blanda comes in and miraculous takes them down the field - throws a short TD pass - kicks the PAT; Raiders do the onside kick thing - get the ball back - Blanda returns - move them within FG range - STAYS in the game and kicks the WINNING FG!!!!! Now that's entertainment.

mike >>

and one no one will ever see again in pro-football. he and the golden boy were the last of the true footballers out there.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Great story Mike - I did not know that! (I was -3 in 1970)

Chris
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    The Dalva Allen is mine for my 1963 Fleer Oakland Raiders Set

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Greatest moment/scenario - Lamonica was playing bad and was taken out of the game - Blanda comes in and miraculous takes them down the field - throws a short TD pass - kicks the PAT; Raiders do the onside kick thing - get the ball back - Blanda returns - move them within FG range - STAYS in the game and kicks the WINNING FG!!!!! Now that's entertainment. >>

Was that the game against the Chiefs, when Stram put Morris Stroud, his huge tight end (I believe he was 6'8"), back to try and block the field goal by essentially tending goal and trying to swat it away as it went over the crossbar? That was one of the games during that streak, I know.

All of that is a bit before my time to have seen first hand, but thanks to NFL Films, I've seen it several times.

This is the second really great Bowman Blanda we've seen here in the last couple of months.