Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Very nice TB and congrats on 2500 imageimage

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Along with this Beauty..............

• Options
    And this Bad boy.........

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    stown Congrats! I bet it does feel good!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ok, who is going to be the first to say "nice balls" ?

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, who is going to be the first to say "nice balls" ? >>

I hope no-one because there is 3 of them image
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Congrats Stown !!!!

Great job. You certainly should be proud of your dedication and perseverance. No dollar amount can be placed on your set because in the end it will always be worth more to you than any amount of money.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Its officially time for a new scanner since mine has taken a turn for the worse, but this little gem was a christmas present to myself image

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, who is going to be the first to say "nice balls" ? >>

Tennessee....I was going to comment on your balls, but I am a happily heterosexual married man so I will refrain.....but I WILL comment on your graphs......tremendous!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    << Ok, who is going to be the first to say "nice balls" ? >>

I am comfortable with who I am...Hey TB You have some Nice Balls!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TB

Nice pickup! Who did you get them from? I've seen ads in SCD with graded sigs.

I've got the Ryan but no Bench or Morgan.

BTW, the most obscure HOF'er I own is a ball with KiKi Cuyler on it.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Bumped, to rescue Mike's missing post...
  • Options
    My newest additions to my Dock Ellis master set. The 1977 cost more then the 1974 & 1975 combined.

• Options
    Alfie

Those are really sweet looking OPC's - you mentioned the relative cost of the 74OPC - do they go higher than Topps?

I may have missed it - but what got you into collecting Doc Ellis? I followed the Pirates in the early 70s - I always liked him.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    And have you read Dock Ellis In The Country Of Baseball? If not, I recommend it, highly.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just purchased:
    imageimage
  • Options
    Stone,

I never got to see Dock pitch, I started collecting him because of all of the stories I've read about him. I've always liked learning about the more colorful characters in baseball history. The 74 ($13.50) & 75 ($9.99) OPC cards cost me less than the topps cards in the same grade. I paid about 4x what I for the 77 topps for the 77 OPC ($43). These were the first high grade OPC Dock Ellis cards I've seen on ebay in the over two years I been watching ebay for his cards, and all 3 showed up the same week!

GDM67,

I have not read that book. I have heard about it. It sounds like a must read.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Just got in the mail today. Beautiful card. The crisp corners, nice deep colors, great centering. The only "down side" would be the vending stamp on the back, but I think it's kinda cool, and gives this card the additional "conversation piece" elemement.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Digicat, That is a beautiful card !
    The Mark almost looks like a stamp put on by some of the old timers when they used to catalog thier cards. I dont know why they would have put it on a 59 Topps, But nonethess that it is what it reminds me of. if it wer a Pre-war card I would say it was.

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I love that Cepeda card. Striking color. Here are a few more for my Perez set that came recently.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    stown,
    belated congratulations on completing your set. Quite an accomplishment to be proud of.
  • Options

<< <i>Digicat, That is a beautiful card !
    The Mark almost looks like a stamp put on by some of the old timers when they used to catalog thier cards. I dont know why they would have put it on a 59 Topps, But nonethess that it is what it reminds me of. if it wer a Pre-war card I would say it was. >>

Digi

That's one sweet card! And I'ld hit it!

Barry

I remember reading in one of Mr Mint's books where he picked up an entire 53T set (I believe the yr?) - only to realize afterwards that the original set collector has placed a very neat "initials" stamp on each card!

Still a great looking card. I've never heard of a vending stamp?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Sting

Some more great cards for the set...

Where you at - %?

mc

That 82D Perez is nothing short of perfection! I gotta say - it's perfect! Just imagine having an entire set like that!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A belated CONGRATS to stown for completing the 55 set image GREAT JOB imageimage

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry

I remember reading in one of Mr Mint's books where he picked up an entire 53T set (I believe the yr?) - only to realize afterwards that the original set collector has placed a very neat "initials" stamp on each card!

Still a great looking card. I've never heard of a vending stamp?

mike >>

i think he got a steal on the PSA 8MK, thanks to the qualifier.. hell, i like the vending stamp being on there! i think what i've heard is that some of the cards that were put into the vending machines would be randomly stamped and if a kid was lucky enough to get a stamped card, he could trade it in to the merchant or get a piece of candy or something? i have no idea if that's accurate.. but something like that i think..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Perry, That is more than likely what the stamp is on the back of digicats card.
    It did remind me however of some of the card backs I have heard of with stamps or writing on the back from collectors like Jefferon burdick or Buck Barker.

• Options

<< <i>Perry, That is more than likely what the stamp is on the back of digicats card.
    It did remind me however of some of the card backs I have heard of with stamps or writing on the back from collectors like Jefferon burdick or Buck Barker. >>

i agree, i think instances like the ones you mentioned, as well as the vending stamps like digicats card, actually add a bit of desirability.. unlike a random pen mark or something by some unknown person..

i did find a stack of 1970's cards once though, and some kid had went through and wrote "good" or "bad" on certain players.. and if the player had switched teams, the kid marked out the old team and wrote the new one.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Perry, That is more than likely what the stamp is on the back of digicats card.
    It did remind me however of some of the card backs I have heard of with stamps or writing on the back from collectors like Jefferon burdick or Buck Barker. >>

i agree, i think instances like the ones you mentioned, as well as the vending stamps like digicats card, actually add a bit of desirability.. unlike a random pen mark or something by some unknown person..

i did find a stack of 1970's cards once though, and some kid had went through and wrote "good" or "bad" on certain players.. and if the player had switched teams, the kid marked out the old team and wrote the new one.. image >>

No doubt PA!
  • Options
    twitching burritos
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Is that the E-coli trying to escape a Taco Bell Menu item #2 ?

• Options
    That's one of my favorite cards of Cha Cha and those Perez cards are terrific. That RBI Leaders card from the '71 set is one that I've always really liked. Three legends.

I have a kid's name and address stamp, like the ones you put on the flyleaf of a book, on the back of one of my '66 Philly cards. Rather less glamorous...image
  • Options
    Finally, something worthy of posting on the mail call thread. Print run of only 20 sets produced.

1996 Select Certified Premium Stock Mirror Red Junior Seau

Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    Hey did I get a great deal on this?

Even though the photo did not show up on the page, I took a gamble

and placed a bid and won. Unopened pack of Topps from 1948 EX/MT item was listed in

the Sports Memorbilia section, and the guy only had vintage stuff, most items he was

selling the many of the photos were missing.

1948 Topp Unopened pack

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options

<< <i>

i did find a stack of 1970's cards once though, and some kid had went through and wrote "good" or "bad" on certain players.. and if the player had switched teams, the kid marked out the old team and wrote the new one.. image >>

Perry

I think that's sounds right - random stamp for a prize? I've never seen it where I lived but I bet that's it.

And, I agree - the card is a beauty - even with the perfectly clean MK.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, not really that proud, but . . .

NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    Great stuff, as usual, fellas!
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    Here is my latest back from PSA.image
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY HIGH GRADE 79/80 OPC HOCKEY !!! & Upper Deck "Ice Scripts" Cards

• Options
    Just got this in today. Michael Tucker unwashed game worn 2006 Mets Alternative Pants. I found out today that these are from the NLCS!!! The tagging is different than regular season tagging, they are unwashed (which only occurs during the playoffs), and I may have found a picture of him wearing these when he was sliding into 2nd base. The way he's sliding matches the exact dirt marks on the pants.

Look at how he is sliding; it matches perfectly with where the dirt is on the pants

• Options
    Kyle

Nice pants! And great photo detective work! Even better.

I have some jerseys - mostly not GU - just auto'ed.

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Just got this in today. Michael Tucker unwashed game worn 2006 Mets Alternative Pants. I found out today that these are from the NLCS!!! The tagging is different than regular season tagging, they are unwashed (which only occurs during the playoffs), and I may have found a picture of him wearing these when he was sliding into 2nd base. The way he's sliding matches the exact dirt marks on the pants.

Look at how he is sliding; it matches perfectly with where the dirt is on the pants

image >>

A little Tide should do the job!!image
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few new ones in ... 2 from the Bay and 2 from my recent sub.

One for my Joe Louis set. This guy has some great cards!!

For some reason I just like the design on these cards. This is the third of the set that I've graded and look forward to completing it someday. I know it's not anything of value but I just like them.

Slowly moving forward on this set.

And lastly an upgrade. I realy like the Wild West!

Happy collecting in the New Year folks.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Excellent Louis!

NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    My new hobby project for the 07 year is collecting Auto's of past and present players from the teams i've been rooting for for close to 30 years now ( Mets - Cowboys - Lakers )

These two are the first to arrive and i can't wait to add to my collection

Always loved Mookie and he actually lived in my hometown of Lakewood for a few years. Also his stepson Preston was classmates with my wife when she was younger

This is a Marion Barber Absolute Spectrum #'d /249

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Gorgeous Delvecchio, Fog! Are you working on the set? I know there are at least 3 board members working on the 72's, myself included.
  • Options
    Just won:

• Options
    Yesterday I got an eight card order from Mickey's that included these nice items...
    imageimage
    imageimage

And today I got these. I think I might work on this set for a few weeks.

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice mailday for me

I have to thank Hobart, a fellow member here for the first 3 auto's. He was a great guy to deal with

Im probablly not keeping this Walls because i didn't realize the sig was signed on one of those clear films
    Im trying to only obtain autos that are signed on the card itself

For the Laker project

Dave
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks Matt

I need an Emmitt auto so anytime your ready to sell one of those babies lmk image

Dave