Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    So does the ink that was supposed to be applied to the card in fact stick to the dirt on the rollers or is it that the rollers scrape ink off as they roll by?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know what causes snow on cards during the printing process?
    I was just curious. >>

Learned long ago ... It was caused by dirty/worn rollers as the card sheets went through their final printing process. My guess is that black was the final step in the 4-color (blue, red, yellow, black) printing process, which is why black areas are more often affected than colored areas.

Scott >>

Actually, it's cyan, magenta, yellow and black (CMYK in the biz) and my understanding is the same as Scott's.
    I had the good fortune to look thru Don's set and some of his other ones recently, and they were nothing short of incredible. Page after page, slab after slab, truly little works of art.
    Don, again, I'm really sorry about that glass of merlot. I"m sure they won't ding you too hard for the ST.

edited to add- from the few times I've been on press checks it seemed to be caused by too fast a paper feed, and the ink not covering the blanket (that rolls onto the plate, that hits the paper) properly.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>So does the ink that was supposed to be applied to the card in fact stick to the dirt on the rollers or is it that the rollers scrape ink off as they roll by? >>

I'd imagine that no problem existed with the ink getting on the sheet, and that the sheet was just fine until the final roller(s) ran over it and essentially "pulled" spots of the ink off of the sheet.

Scott
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL!!! image

Anthony, the merlot didn't leave too bad of a stain!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
    ....and some more 1963 eye candy.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I'm curious since I had never heard of these. Why didn't PSA label these "Presentation Set" since they are different size and production? How would a buyer know that these were from a presentation set?
    Steve, PSA won't label them that way because they have no absolute assurance that they are from a presentation set. Unlike SGC who did it in the early years, PSA has never labeled cards 'presentation set'. I kind of wish they would.

A buyer would never know for sure unless someone like myself sell some and advertise them that way. Also, I can prove they are from my buy and the boxes they came in.

I am sure a number of pres set cards have made their way into the hobby in holders and no one knows they are from a pres set except they might marvel at how nice the cards look.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Unlike SGC who did it in the early years, PSA has never labeled cards 'presentation set'. I kind of wish they would. >>

You would think they would, especially if someone could offer the effective equivalent of a provenance, like you could.

It's not a precise analogy but these seem like their proper category would be a little bit like tiffany sets. Essentially similar but distinctive enough to make a note of.
    GDM67....I agree with you and it would be pretty cool.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    I think using the PSA "pedigree" service you could probably get some text added to the flip denoting the card was from a presentation set. Nothing really PSA endorsed, but they might do it.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I recently picked up this sweet looking PSA 8 1963 McCovey. The color really jumps out, so I figured this might be one of the Presentation set versions. I also notice that the card is a whole 1/16th of an inch short, left-right. Is that the hallmark of these kinds of cards?

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    sagard....thanks, I may check into that.

digicat....yes, it is and I think it is a very good possibility that your McCovey is from a presentation set. Congrats on such a nice card!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • I've decided to jump in and try to complete this set. I wanted to go after a 1960's set and it was between the 1963 and 1960 but in the end, I just couldn't say no to this one. It will probably be mostly raw with maybe the higher value cards graded. If anyone has any raw commons laying around gathering dust, let me know as I'll be starting from scratch. I'm mainly looking for eye appeal - in the EX range.

Also, does anyone have a blank Excel spreadsheet for this set?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Mike, the best of luck in collecting your '63 set....they are beautiful cards and a fun one to collect. You will really enjoy these cards.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Just got some upgrades in and I'm trying a new scanner.

imageimageimage

Really gorgeous cards of three legends.
  • Is there a card in this set that is NOT gorgeous?
  • In answer to your question... and just my opinion...YES. The floating heads, including the over-priced Rose rookie card are less than pleasing. Other than that I feel this set has some of the best photography and color of any set... period. It iwll be a sad day when I have to part with my set.......

Dave C.

Link to my 1963 Topps Basic Set

Link to my 1963 Topps Master Set

My goal for 2007 is to add scans of the cards.
  • Dave,
    All I can say is WOW! You have amassed a truly amazing set. Congrats! I can't wait to see some scans.

Mike

<< <i>In answer to your question... and just my opinion...YES. The floating heads, including the over-priced Rose rookie card are less than pleasing. >>

True.

The hatless pics that are part of most Topps sets of the period are problematic, too, but that affects all of them.

As a rule, one of the prettiest and most challenging sets of the '60's.
  • Mike,

Thanks; it is a labor of time and love.... and bottomless pockets that now have holes in them (i.e., my "head of houshold expenses" has taken the checkbook away).

Dave C.

<< <i>I've decided to jump in and try to complete this set. I wanted to go after a 1960's set and it was between the 1963 and 1960 but in the end, I just couldn't say no to this one. It will probably be mostly raw with maybe the higher value cards graded. If anyone has any raw commons laying around gathering dust, let me know as I'll be starting from scratch. I'm mainly looking for eye appeal - in the EX range.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike >>

I have about 100 raw cards in solid NM condition (about 20-30% will grade PSA 8). PM me or email me: ouray2 AT att.net.
  • I agree with Dave C (who's THE MAN with the best '63 Topps set there is, and a very good guy to buy cards from when he has them on eBay) -- Some of the '63s are pretty funky. (I say this as a '63 lover and collector: my set is just #20). There are 50+ cards of traded players, most without hats, on whose cards Topps tried to fake the team letter or logo in the black&white action insert -- Luis Aparicio comes to mind. I wish Topps had just airbrushed the old team letter off and left it at that. The worst of the head cutouts is the leader card with the bill of Whitey Ford's cap cut off. I know: picky, picky. It's still a great set to collect, and if anybody dislikes the Rose rookie that much, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
    I agree......Dave has a great '63 set.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • A few recent pickups...

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • I find it hard to believe Dave C is not in CU hall of fame, check out his sets, amazing.

Plus he's a great guy, very helpful to this newbie.

Dave C for the CU hall of fame in 2007.

Peace

Doug

Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • hi
    do you have or know of a 63 wrapper from the last series i believe that advertises a mantle mask
    sflayank@aol.com
    i will pay a substantial sum for this wrapper
    Kurt.....those are some oh so sweet cards!! Your scans are perfect too.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Thanks Don. Can't afford 9s but I love highend 8s. The top 4 are from John Amback's recent set break. The bottom 2 are from gametimecollectibles "recent vending find". Gee, I wish one day I could find some brand-spanking-new vending cards.
    My ebay listings
  • Great cards Kurtman,
    Seeing that Gibson reminds me of a question I've always had. The '63 Gibson picture is the same one used for the '61 Topps set. Also, the '63 and '64 Topps Drysdale and the '61 and '62 Topps Drysdale share the same pictures also. I guess Topps recycled picutres alot during this era? Doesn't seem like it would have been that difficult to snap another picture sometime during the course of a season.

On a side note, I'm now about 20% complete with my raw set. Still lovin' it.

Mike
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys...looking for a few 63s in PSA 7 or 8. Prefer 7s but would consider 8s for the right price. If you have some shoot me a message.

Thanks in advance to all.

Jeff

14 63T PEDRO RAMOS
    163 63T DON LARSEN
    191 63T CHECKLIST 177-264
    208 63T 1963 ROOKIE STARS
    221 63T COOKIE ROJAS
    231 63T ELI GRBA
    247 63T YANKEES TEAM
    261 63T BOB MILLER
    307 63T CHET NICHOLS
    355 63T DEAN CHANCE
    505 63T CURT FLOOD
    509 63T CHECKLIST #507-576 COPYRIGHT CENTERED
    532 63T STEVE BOROS
    575 63T DON CARDWELL
    Jeff, don't have any of them but good luck in your search.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'm looking for a PSA 8 or better of #220 Camilo Pascual if anyone knows of one available for a decent price.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • A couple months ago Don's Bob Miller #261 sells for $750 and then last night another sells for $43.
    Great timing Don! Gotta love that!
    63 Miller ebay sale 4/24

edited to add: both were PSA 8s.
    My ebay listings
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    1963ers, believe it or not I just came across a 1963 Presentation Set. Its in a box and contains 5 smaller boxes that house the cards in there series. I just started going thru it for grading. Besides the big boys, what are the commons that are low pops ? The Rose is a stunning card , a 9 for sure, maybe a 10.
  • Bob, Here a few of the commons that have demanded premiums in the past (and a few prices realized on ebay):

#14 Ramos 326/169/259/100/81
    #21 Keough 224/224/178/138/60/91
    #22 Simmons 106/56/82/176/92/69/67
    #27 Coleman 76/104/118/114/81/91/92
    #34 Schofield 255/159/223/148
    #261 B Miller 76/63/104/750/43
    #310 T Davis 142/305/166/93/58/282
    #354 Zanni 188/291/139/83/76/62
    #382 Houk 108/118

Also, of the LL cards, besides #1 & #3, the #5 NL ERA Leaders goes for high $ (114/184/257/188).

edit: again, all of the above are PSA 8s
    My ebay listings

<< <i>Bob, Here a few of the commons that have demanded premiums in the past (and a few prices realized on ebay):

#14 Ramos 326/169/259/100/81
    #21 Keough 224/224/178/138/60/91
    #22 Simmons 106/56/82/176/92/69/67
    #27 Coleman 76/104/118/114/81/91/92
    #34 Schofield 255/159/223/148
    #261 B Miller 76/63/104/750/43
    #310 T Davis 142/305/166/93/58/282
    #354 Zanni 188/291/139/83/76/62
    #382 Houk 108/118

Also, of the LL cards, besides #1 & #3, the #5 NL ERA Leaders goes for high $ (114/184/257/188).

edit: again, all of the above are PSA 8s >>

The only one on that list that was mine was the Keough for $60 (bought that one for $3 raw). Wish I had more from that list.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. If those results aren't an advertisement for being a patient bidder, I don't know what is. A particular "ouch" on the $750 Miller. Those two bidders must not track the market.
    Kurt.....

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. It has been awhile.

Bob....

We would love to hear more about the presentation set you have. How did you pick it up, what is the story behind it? I have one too.

John....

Yes, patience can be key to picking up tough cards for better prices.

To all....

As Kurt pointed out, I was the seller on that $750 Bob Miller card. I also was the seller on that $282 Tommy Davis card. When I listed them, I had strong multiple bidders. On the Miller card, three bidders went after the card aggressively, so I ended up with a small goldmine out of it. To say I was in shock on that sale is an understatement. Timing can be everything, but not all. I think a good reputation plus a professional listing and the most important of all is a great scan of the card. All of these things aid in the selling process but sometimes Lady Luck just tops all. image
    Don

ebay id truecollector14

<< <i>To all....

As Kurt pointed out, I was the seller on that $750 Bob Miller card. I also was the seller on that $282 Tommy Davis card. When I listed them, I had strong multiple bidders. On the Miller card, three bidders went after the card aggressively, so I ended up with a small goldmine out of it. To say I was in shock on that sale is an understatement. Timing can be everything, but not all. I think a good reputation plus a professional listing and the most important of all is a great scan of the card. All of these things aid in the selling process but sometimes Lady Luck just tops all. image >>

I'd also say having a solid to high end example will also help to bring greater results. I didn't see your Miller but the last one that sold for $43 wasn't a very strong 8 and was marginally centered. But for $750, they must be hoping for a bump from 8 to 10! Congrats on the results.
    I just found the set going thru some boxes of stuff I have. Thats a story in its self that I wont go into. From what I understand there were 200 made, they were handed out to certain people and employees. Thats about all I know about them. I sort of remember having a 61 and 62 also.
    Bob,

I'm not an expert on this set but I believe that, aside from the low pops already listed, a lot of the first series cards would be in high demand. Be careful for print snow as that is the big nemesis of cards from that series. Don and others who actively collect this set could probably elaborate more.

Have you found any '52 Mantles in your stash yet? image

• << <i>I'd also say having a solid to high end example will also help to bring greater results. I didn't see your Miller but the last one that sold for $43 wasn't a very strong 8 and was marginally centered. But for $750, they must be hoping for a bump from 8 to 10! Congrats on the results. >>

Good point. I do remember Don's and it was a high-end dead-centered example.

Bob: If you find a nice Berra in that presentation set, I'd be highly interested in it. The last centered one on ebay went to Jim Crandall and I was the unfortunate underbidder. It is on the top of my want list.
    My ebay listings
    Bob-

I think it is safe to say we'd all love to hear the whole story about your '63 Presentation set. image

Here is a list of the cards that I've seen sell for at least 2xSMR. Not every time, but in most cases more than once. Yankees typically sell well but that certainly isn't groundbreaking news. Good luck and please share the story and some scans if you get a chance.

14  PEDRO RAMOS
    21  MARTY KEOUGH
    22  CURT SIMMONS
    23  ED LOPAT
    27  CHOO CHOO COLEMAN
    30  HARVEY KUENN
    34  DICK SCHOFIELD
    40  VIC POWER
    58  BOB WILL
    84  RON KLINE
    100  JOE CUNNINGHAM
    105  RON FAIRLY
    109  LEE MAYE
    114  DAN OSINSKI
    148  WORLD SERIES GAME 7
    149  MARV BREEDING
    162  TWINS TEAM
    174  LARRY BURRIGHT
    184  VERN LAW
    190  MINNIE MINOSO
    208  1963 ROOKIE STARS
    224  MIKE ROARKE
    227  JIM GRANT
    261  BOB MILLER
    262  ELLIS BURTON
    283  ROY SIEVERS
    285  DICK STUART
    289  HAL BROWN
    291  DON RUDOLPH
    293  BILL PLEIS
    298  DON DILLARD
    305  DON HOAK
    309  JIM BREWER
    310  TOMMY DAVIS
    314  JOHN GORYL
    315  RALPH TERRY
    319  JOE GAINES
    324  1963 ROOKIE STARS
    325  JACK SANFORD
    328  DICK WILLIAMS
    341  JACK BALDSCHUN
    343  JOHNNY PESKY
    354  DOM ZANNI
    363  DICK RADATZ
    382  RALPH HOUK
    496  1963 ROOKIE STARS
    501  JOE AZCUE
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you not remember that you have a 1963 presentation set in some "boxes of stuff I have." LOL
    Between me and my brother we have quite a few boxes, those who know me know why too, and there isnt 1 card in them you can have. I still remember you nam812 and your still on my blocked bidder list.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you blocked me because I asked for a clearer and larger scan. If you're going to tell the story, then tell the whole story.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Kurtman,

That is amazing that the Berra I won is the last PSA 8 to appear on ebay. I know its a tough card but I had no idea it was that tough.

Jim
    Had nothing to do with larger scans, so if you really want me to tell the story I will. Or we can leave it at that. 6 yrs ago when I blocked you I didnt even sell graded cards. Just lots of NRMT- MT ungraded cards.