Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stown, those are sweet looking cards, and two I don't have yet for my collection!!!

I'm amazed at how well a nicely centered 5 or 6 presents itself.

Good luck on your set!!

shawn >>

Thanks Shawn image

They are a tad OC t/b but still have great eye appeal. I think the OC issue they are notorious for is more evident with vertical cards like the Thorpe.

Don't ask me how in the world I'm ranked #16 on the Master set with only two cards image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Page turn...........
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    4,800 image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfie

Those are tremendous! Great centering. Did you find that you had to pay closer to SMR for the near perfect centering - or did you get lucky?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    I was looking for a card and came across this one - I think I bought it in the early 90s.

I wanted to post it since I think I got a really nice 8 - centering is really good - and back then I was prone to buying OCs that many would shy away from.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Nice card Mike, dont see too much wrong with that centering PHEW!
  • Options

<< <i>I was looking for a card and came across this one - I think I bought it in the early 90s.

I wanted to post it since I think I got a really nice 8 - centering is really good - and back then I was prone to buying OCs that many would shy away from.

mike >>

Don't let the flip's number fool you, that's a 10 image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Awesome card!!
  • Options
    Wow awesome card Mike !!

I've been tossing around the idea of doing either the 55 or 56 set . . That Kaline is making me think 56 lol

Dave
  • Options
    Both sets have tremendous eye appeal:

Just say fook it like I did and do 'em both image
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Set Registry newbies!

1/1's! image

rd

Mulliniks was most successful as a steady role player for the Blue Jays. Originally a shortstop with the Angels and Royals, he was the lefthanded component of a Blue Jay third-base platoon (with Garth Iorg) in the 1980s. When Mulliniks was injured during the home opener of the 1988 season, Kelly Gruber proved he was ready to become an everyday third baseman, and Mulliniks gracefully adapted to a reduced role as a lefthanded DH when he returned from the disabled list. Not blessed with great defensive skills, Mulliniks nevertheless led AL third basemen in fielding percentage in three straight seasons, from 1984 to '86. When he retired in 1992, he had set several Blue Jay club records at the plate, including the highest single season batting average (.324 in 1984), most doubles by a lefthanded batter (34 in 1983), most seasons leading the club in pinch hits (three), most consecutive hits (eight), and most consecutive times on base (10). His father, Harvey, a former pitcher in the Yankee organization, proved a useful advisor to break Mulliniks out of batting slumps. baseballlibrary.com

Wildness, inconsistency, and injuries plagued the unusually muscular 6'5" 235-lb Bibby. Drafted first by the Mets and then by Uncle Sam, he spent two years in Viet Nam, one on the disabled list (after a spinal fusion operation), and five in the minors before reaching the majors in 1972. With Texas in 1973, he no-hit Oakland on July 30, and also pitched a one-hitter and a two-hitter. He went 12-4 with a 2.80 ERA for Pittsburgh in 1979 and pitched well in the LCS and WS. His .760 winning percentage (19-6) in 1980 was the NL's best. On May 19, 1981 the overpowering Bibby allowed a leadoff single to Atlanta's Terry Harper and then retired 27 Braves in a row. Shortly after that he suffered a rotator cuff injury that eventually ended his career. His brother, Henry, played in the NBA. baseballlibrary.com

Herrmann was a hard working White Sox catcher in the early 1970s, gutsy in blocking the plate and knocking down Wilbur Wood's knuckleballs. Thanks mainly to Wood, Herrmann led the AL in passed balls four times. Although his batting averages were generally low, he had some power. In 1970, when he hit a career-high .283 with 19 homers in 96 games, he spent his bench time during home games in the bullpen helping restore a 1929 Ford. After infrequent Chicago victories, he'd delight fans by riding the smoking "Big White Machine" around the park. His grandfather Marty pitched for the Dodgers in 1918. baseballlibrary.com
  • Options
    Question : Is Jim Bibby the brother of former basketball player Henry Bibby ? Henry has a son Mike Bibby who plays in the NBA now

Stown, i agree both sets are nice to look at

Great cards guys !

Dave
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Question : Is Jim Bibby the brother of former basketball player Henry Bibby ? Henry has a son Mike Bibby who plays in the NBA now

Stown, i agree both sets are nice to look at

Great cards guys !

Dave >>

Wildness, inconsistency, and injuries plagued the unusually muscular 6'5" 235-lb Bibby. Drafted first by the Mets and then by Uncle Sam, he spent two years in Viet Nam, one on the disabled list (after a spinal fusion operation), and five in the minors before reaching the majors in 1972. With Texas in 1973, he no-hit Oakland on July 30, and also pitched a one-hitter and a two-hitter. He went 12-4 with a 2.80 ERA for Pittsburgh in 1979 and pitched well in the LCS and WS. His .760 winning percentage (19-6) in 1980 was the NL's best. On May 19, 1981 the overpowering Bibby allowed a leadoff single to Atlanta's Terry Harper and then retired 27 Braves in a row. Shortly after that he suffered a rotator cuff injury that eventually ended his career. His brother, Henry, played in the NBA.

source: www.baseballlibrary.com

rd
  • Options
    Thanx for the compliments guys...

Sorry - I found one more - had to show it - don't think I did before - I think I got this a few years ago from Legacy auctions - I believe that's Greg who used to be one of the owners of Superior before it was
    Collector "Universalized."

Again, what I like - super centering - and here's the shocker - it went under SMR!

I think that's enough "me walling" for one night!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Very sharp Musial, one of the nicest I've seen
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Two new editions to my autograph cut collection ...

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    My sub came back and one of the highlights is this...

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    These two were part of the same sub and they were purchased as part of a raw set that I picked up for $50. I might be sending all of them in because they are all really sharp.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The Darrell Green rookie is a great example of a great card.
  • Options
    ......<had to take a quick trip over to the vault for these
    Kobe, 55's are my territory, one of my favorite sets enjoy

• Options
    page turn???
  • Options

<< <i>......<had to take a quick trip over to the vault for these
    Kobe, 55's are my territory, one of my favorite sets enjoy >>

Nice cards though image
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Dang! Nice pick-up there, Arny. $50 for the set??? Those are sweet!

And those '55s look great, too, RipublicaninMass, especially the Podres.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Just received these today. Getting closer to completing the set.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Awesome boxing cards! Congrats!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    those kellog's cards are a, how you say, nice?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    A nice gift from Downtown1974. It fits great in my '78 Topps set. I'm over 67% in PSA 9+ now!

Thanks Bob!
  • Options
    Looks like Nolan had an accident.

NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    My first T218. I love the colors on these cards

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Pop 3, none higher - dig that feathered hair!

Geordie

• Options
    Halosfan, how are you grabbing those? Buying raw and submitting or purchasing graded? Either way, nice cards. Did you happen to bid on the PSA 9 Dempsey Glossy from the set a few days ago?

Tkd, beware. Those babies will suck you in and propel you down a path that will occupy both your time and money. Get out now. (Statement made in the hopes that I'll have one less person to bid with image)

Arthur
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Nice boxing cards, the colors do look great. I just got these back in a 4 card autograph submission - 3 came back authentic with one questionable Kobe autograph. I paid $3 for the Lewis in a bargain bin box several years ago and recently acquired both Hill cards and the questionable Kobe for $6-7 each.

• Options

<< <i>I was looking for a card and came across this one - I think I bought it in the early 90s.

mike >>

Now that is one I would crack and resubmit!
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Some new stars for my 54 Bowman FB set.

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a couple of oddball Will Clark items. The first may or may not be authorized, but it was cheap and interesting. The second is a 1991 Topps TripleHeader with Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell and Matt Williams. They're small plastic baseballs and came packaged with some candy. I'm guessing it was some sort of a test issue, but I'm not really sure.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I think the Topps Triple Header Photo Balls were a 1992 issue. There were 26 to the set, which I am embarrased to say I have. Limited distribution. Came in "cute" little boxes with a pack of lousy candy and a stand
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

That's one fine looking 7.

• Options
    couple more in todays mail

Dave
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Perry

Very nice wrapper!

I've been out for a couple of days - so I'll have to review what you guys have posted after - I got a bit distracted tonite.

While we're on wrappers - I just got this in from toppsvault - a 69T wrapper proof. I'll probably pick up a wrapper - to accompany the proof - perhaps for framing?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Page turn...
  • Options
    New 72's...

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Added 2 more 55 Bowman to the collection today. 61 Marchetti too. I love them 55 Bowman!

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Stone, that wrapper proof is really nice. What size is it? What's something like that run? It'd look awesome in the right frame with or without a wrapper.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Love the action shot on the Cournoyer card.

It seems like we've seen a lot of nice examples of those Connerly and Gifford cards around here. They're both really cool, and the Marchetti card is great, as well.
  • Options
    Those wrappers are very nice.

Pandrews (or anyone, for that matter), have you seen any of those larger size cabinet-like issues the SK wrapper advertises? I've never seen them and didn't know they existed. I'm assuming by the dimensions they're about the size of a Turkey Red?

Does PSA grade them? I sure would like to get my hands on a Dempsey.

Thanks for sharing guys.

Arthur
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur, the last 20 cards from that set I bought slabbed. I also have the Louis and Dempsey. Now to track down the rest. I didn't see the 9 from the glossy version and that's probably a good thing!

Great stuff guys
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, that wrapper proof is really nice. What size is it? What's something like that run? It'd look awesome in the right frame with or without a wrapper. >>

SP
    Thanx.

Since it's a proof, it's the same size as the actual wrapper that goes into production.

The stock is different than the actual wrapper but not as thick as another proof I got which was on a very heavy stock.

I paid 87.50 for it - the best wrapper I saw for sale was with B&E Collectibles which had a starting bid of 24.99 - it closed at 73.55! I'll pick one up - but perhaps not that good - this one was good enough to "repack" with! image

Also note - the real wrapper is different than this proof:

I also picked up a 70T proof - was 20 bucks less.

thanx again
    mike

mike
    Mike