Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    It's page break time.....let's move this little doggie along>>>>>........imageimageimage
  • Options
    GO BROWNS!!!!! GO OHIO STATE!!!!! GO PAGE BREAK!!!!!!!! this can be ridiculous.....hoop fever!!!! GO CAVS>>>>>image
  • Options
    Anyone have any '84 Donruss at PSA trying to get those 10s!? image

I've got about a half dozen (couple that I need outright) that I hope will at least pull a 9.....in the PSA system as of 11/3....no word yet. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Arny,

It's a race! I also have a sub in at psa logged on 11/3, and still no results. Mine is under the tallboy special of last month (1984D champions - 16 cards).

Did you sent the Remy in? That's the nicest centered one I've seen to date - not terribly tough but tough enough in 9. I think you have an chance at 10'ing that one.
    Good luck!

All,

Place your bets now and see who is the winner of the 'log 11/3' contest!!!!!
  • Options
    I just pulled that Remy this morning, so I didn't include it in that group of cards. But, I'll be sending that one in the next group more than likely.

My sub is part of another member's sub (we pooled our cards to get a 100 card submission) so you'll probably end up getting yours graded first. Good luck with those!

Who will win the race? I hope we both end up on the same day and both end up with all 10s! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I've got my '84D sub going in sometime of the next week.

I'll let you guys know what I sub once I figure it out.

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    I went back thru a binder I had and pulled out about a dozen or so that I"m going to submit.....Don't know if 10's will result but believe they are good candidates for 9's. I'm also going to go back thru a set I broke to see if any are worthy.....will let everyone know when they go in......al.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won this one:

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have to say, this is one of my favorite threads for lurking. Having given up on building complete graded sets this is a great way to enjoy without actually diving in.

great stuff fellas, keep em coming and good luck to everyone in pursuit of this beautiful set !

And BTW, when anyone has extra PSA 9 or 10 Yankees feel free to look me up image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Bri,

Glad to have you aboard ... feel free to pop in anytime...

but, I must ask, why have you given up on building complete graded sets?

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Bri,

Glad to have you aboard ... feel free to pop in anytime...

but, I must ask, why have you given up on building complete graded sets?

-t >>

Well, in general I sold off 95% of my complete sets, graded and ungraded. I had a nice run of ungraded, including 2x 1960 , 64, and 70-around 1990. Graded I had completed around 75% of the 1971 topps in PSA or better. Around 1 1/2 yrs ago I began selling them off to narrow my interests down primarily to Yankees items. My Munson, Mattingly, Guidry master sets along with alot of graded yankee team sets in particular. I also have ungraded Yankee team sets from the mid 60's to 2006 in albums that I enjoy looking at as often as I can, and a pile of various yanks from the 40's through 60's.

Though I love complete sets it never seemed to hold my interest long enough to finish a graded one. Something about chasing several hundred commons just couldnt keep my focus long enough, so I had to make a decision.

Ive also been accumulating various Yankee stuff besides cards ( auto's, balls, postcards, photos, etc ). In the end it cleared up more room, freed up some funds for my main interests, and kept me motivated having more of a focus.

None of that is meant in any way to put down anyone elses pursuits, it just seemed like what worked best for me, and what was most enjoyable for me.

If there is one set I would shoot for should the day come where I decide to get back into a graded set it would most definately be the 84 donruss. The set is such a classic, beautiful set from top to bottom. It was also the one set that was out of my budget as a child ( I was 11 in 1984 ) so to be able to pick them up now would be satisfying.

Until then I love checking out what you all have to offer on this thread. To have so many collectors going after the 84's has to be fun. I can see the camaraderie amongst the great many of you involved in the set, and Im sure it makes it that much more worthwhile.

So as long as the group doesnt mind an onlooker who hasnt jumped into the fun yet I will continue to enjoy watching you all build your gems !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Bri,

well said --- nothing wrong at all with narrowing your focus.

I got back into collecting this past summer after a 15 year layoff (30 yrs old, stopped when I was around 14). I started off with only the '60 set as it was my favorite set when I was a kid (I was into a lot of vintage as a kid).

I now realize that I'm a setbuilder at heart. I love putting together sets ... and the advent of the registry makes it even more fulfilling. 1984 was really the first year I got any cards, but I didn't get many Donruss ... and it really wasn't until '85 and '86 that my collecting really picked up ...

However, looking back, I feel the 84D set is one of those "greats" of the hobby. It has a class and quality above everything else in the decade. The design is so timeless, and the photography is fantastic. I just love it.

My focus is still narrow ... but instead of one PSA set I'm now pursuing 4, with a possibility of going for an Ozzie Smith Basic Set (my childhood hero) as well...

... oh, who am I kidding .... getting back into collecting has been pure heroin. I can't stop. It's madness ... sheer, enjoyable, madness. I envy your ability to focus, my friend!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    I hear you on that stuff, I have started a number of sets only to lose focus. This must be my 6th or so different one, but I think this one will be a lot more fun since there are more members interested in this set. I think I lost interest in doing my last sets is because I felt like I was the only one doing them. It is a lot more fun for me to have such a great group of collectors pursuing the same thing!!
  • Options

<< <i>It is a lot more fun for me to have such a great group of collectors pursuing the same thing!! >>

I agree. It makes things tougher and it's easier to stop and sell off your cards if there aren't people really helping and/or competing with you to complete a set. I was so close to selling off this set and moving onto some others until Bill and Al and Robert and others really kept cheering me on to finish. It's such a great set to look at .... timeless and classy design as was mentioned by Tom. And, it was "the" set of the '80s. I mean, that Mattingly card is a classic itself.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    My first package arrived (thank you Bkritz!!!!) .....

This card marks the FIRST card of my 1984 Donruss Set in PSA 9 or better.

I'll be setting up the Registry shortly for this set.

Though they haven't all arrived yet, I'm already at 85 PSA 9's ... over 10%!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    That is funny, that was one of my first cards I bought for this set!! Alright somebody from here better win that 44 card PSA 10 Lot on ebay right now. To rich for my blood, but I would like to see someone familiar win it.

LINK
  • Options
    I bid up to $400 for it. But, got outbid. I might revisit it towards the end of the auction.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I don't understand. Seller's third attempt with this lot, each time with a reserve. Then same seller lists his psa 9's individually starting at a dollar. Not sure what he has in mind but oh well..................

Bill
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I am going to send in a sub on 84 Dons before the end of the month.I got some sweet stuff from my 2 boxes with some 10 possibilities in my opinion.I think I am really going to enjoy this set.I consider antyhing past 1980 as modern and in my opinion I think and have always thought this to be the best release of all the modern cards.I have a nice small group of 9s coming from one of our respected fellow board members(AV) sometime soon to get me started.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Picked up a PSA 9 Fred Lynn DK "Steele" on the bay tonight for $4.13 shipped.

Pop (9s+10s) is 7.

Can't beat that deal, eh?

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Hi all,

I have an 1984 Donruss raw set with a psa 9 Mattingly if anyone is interested. $80 delivered.

I also have a couple partial sets of 84 Donruss (600+ cards are in each one with stars - no Donnie M.). I only pulled a small stack of cards from the partials that were so perfect perfect perfect that they were guaranteed to get 10s, unless I ran into the grader of death.

Tons of psa 9s in both the set and the partials. Great for the 84 Donruss Fanatics!

Othe partials, if you are interested, I can do $45 delivered for both partial sets.

Just PM

Brian
  • Options
    Bill, any luck on your sub? I'm still waiting for mine since 11/3.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Does anyone have a Kent Takulve PSA 9 available. Really like that card and would like to add it. PM me please.

Thanks,

Kirk
  • Options
    Can't beat that deal Tom! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny - not a word...............

This has been the longest I've had to wait on results. I've had 100 card subs come back in 3-4 days, with 5 days as the average. Thought it might be the tall-boys that caused the delay, but I guess not.

Hard to complain when they've been so good about turn-arounds, but I anxious just like you.

good luck - I'll post my results as soon as they're received.

Bill
  • Options
    Hey guys, don't fret...they must be behind....I sent in a submission that was logged in on the 15th. No grades yet.....mine were mostly basketball and some of the 75 Topps mini cards that I purchased as part of another thread....no 84 Donruss in this submission but I hope to have another one out before the end of the month....al.
  • Options
    can't see the latest post ... c'mon little doggie ... page turn....
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    I'm turning in a 25 card '84D submission in the next week or so... Stay tuned.

-t

PS Up to 86 PSA 9's ... woo-hoo!

- Building these sets:
  • Options

<< <i>I'm turning in a 25 card '84D submission in the next week or so... Stay tuned.

-t

PS Up to 86 PSA 9's ... woo-hoo! >>

Nice start!!
  • Options
    Would be nice for someones set registery, but I have seen 9s with better centering.

Link

P.S. Were the heck is everyone on the set registery getting their 10s, submitting or Ebay?? Did not see that many for sale on Ebay, but there are a lot being added to the sets on the registery.
  • Options

<< <i>Great response guys, thanks!

Bug... I'm basically where you were at the beginning. I want a PSA 9 set. To date, I've only got 3 cards sitting at PSA (Mattingly, Carter, O.Smith). Perhaps I'll submit another 25 with the current special as a "test batch" to see how keen my eye is currently. It'll be a good learning experience no matter the results.

FYI, I fully expect the Mattingly to pull a 9. I am optimistic with the Carter and Ozzie.

Hmmm.... guess I need to get that test batch ready.

Thanks again, guys.

-t >>

Got poppage on my first ever 84D submittals. I'm very pleased:

11 06565740 1984 DONRUSS 59 OZZIE SMITH N/A 9
    12 06565741 1984 DONRUSS 41 JOE CARTER N/A 9
    13 06565742 1984 DONRUSS 248 DON MATTINGLY N/A 9

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Good job! My first 84D 'test' sub was the same as yours, minus the Smith.
  • Options
    Great job Tom!

Looks like you have the eye for solid cards! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Am also currently working on a group of 84's to submit in the near future. " Hats off " to those of you who can find a Carter ( Joe) to submit!! The ones I have, I would be embarrased to send in, as centering is horrible. Maybe if the grader had his head tilted at a 90 degree angle I would stand a chance. Am holding off sending in as there is an auction in a few days which has 10 raw 94 SP A-Rods, 8 regular, and 2 Die Cut. Will see what happens. Craig
  • Options
    How many '84 Donruss you sending in 86Nova?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Arny--- Will most likely be sending in about 20 to 25. The usual suspects Mattingly, Ryan, etc. Have been trying to focus in on cards with a low pop. percentage. Have a fairly strong Dipino, Burgmeier, Hume, Wilson, and Moreno. The Moreno looks the best centering and no "fuzz" inthe corner that I can detect with a 10X. Naturally, all subjective, so time will tell. Have been able to privately purchase in my area some factory and HC sets that people have put together. Must say that it is mildly disappointing in that the OC, by and large, is very prevalant. Have spent a lot of time trying to run down a sealed rack case, but to no avail. IMHO, this is the way to obtain a higher percentage of 9s and 10s. The people I have purchased from are "rippers" and nothing left unopened. One more person left to try as he bought and kept for his grandsons, but will make an attempt anyway. Craig
  • Options
    Waiting since 11/3 on a small sub....nothin' yet image

Bill, any luck with yours yet?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    What are most of you sending in, cards from wax or factory sets?? Just wondering.
  • Options
    Kirk,

I'm sending in a combination of both to see what the graders think and to gauge my 'eye'. All of my '84 Donruss has been from purchasing from eBay up to this point and I'm trying to see if I can either get a few of the last ones that I need or maybe pull a couple of 10s that could be sold/traded for other cards that I need to complete. I'm really close and have actually moved to the top of the All Time '84 Donruss ranks for my "master" set and am catching up to Bill's beautiful set on the "basic" set.

I'm not sure how long this #1 position is going to be locked in for, so I'm trying to submit for some upgrades here and there as well! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Also, has anyone noticed "tilting" with the 84 Donruss?? Any paticular cards that might exhibit this more than others??
  • Options
    Pagey Turny
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Kirk, by the way, I just got Julen to respond a little earlier and I picked up two cards that I needed. Did he PM you yet?

About the tilting...I can't say that I remember any particular cards having tilting issues right off hand.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    In my small sample of two factory sets all the DK's were tilted, some worse than others of course.
  • Options
    I've also experienced the "tilt" factor for some cards....especially the DKs. I add this to the many reasons why this set is hard to finish off....the set I'm working on has 19 DK's that I've had a hard time finding. As noted I've gotten off center and tilted cards in factory sets I've broken also
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    congrats arny on assuming the top spot .
    i have a couple 84d's at psa awaiting holders.
    Bob
  • Options
    Yes Arny congrats on being #1. I would like to thank you for getting me my first 84 Donruss, Jason Thompson, that I kept looking at over the months thinking to myself should I start this set.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

I hope to stay at #1, but with a few certain guys getting real close, I might not be able to hold off everyone! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    PSA 10 Mattingly went for less than $500, but it doesn't have "10" centering top to bottom for me...does it for you guys?

PSA 10 Don Mattingly 1984 Donruss
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I agree, stated in a prior post about that card that I have seen 9s with better centering. What could it have gone up to with better centering??
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    yeah that was a low end 10 for sure.
    Bob