• Options
    Arny,

Paypal sent.

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    weird, my post isn't showing... testing.
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Brian, here's what I need from your list.....

Upgrades for my set: #72, #103, #104, #113, #211, #222, #290, #311, #323, #384, #386, #404, #411

....I'd be interested in these. Unless Robert (rvc) needs them for his set outright. If he needs them, he can get first crack at any and all.

Here's my updated list....

129 - B.Blyleven
    209 - B.Ramos
    224 - C.Bando
    228 - J.Lowenstein
    230 - D.Decinces
    238 - K.Hernandez
    435 - E.Nunez
    437 - E.Whitt
    442 - W.Brusstar
    456 - E.Cabell
    471 - M.Wilcox
    472 - T.Martinez
    480 - J.Youngblood
    481 - J.Slaton
    482 - M.Fitzgerald
    535 - B.Horner
    544 - D.Darwin
    554 - R.Staub
    558 - L.Whitehouse
    575 - M.Trillo
    582 - D.Spillner
    590 - B.Anderson
    597 - L.Sanchez
    605 - A.Griffin

.....any help would be appreciated. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Arny,

I still have 3 psa 10s that would be upgrades for you.

104, 113, and 404. Check your PM for my offer on them.

Brian
  • Options
    Guys, the 1984 Donruss box has arrived! Steve Hart packaged it nicely and it's sitting right here on my desk.

Robert, I just need your $50 to be all paid. I'm going to try and get to the post office on Monday (I work today) to pick up some boxes and package each lot of 9 packs. From there, we can set a date (possibly next Saturday or Sunday?) to rip these puppies open! Or, would you like to rip 'em as you receive 'em?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    paypal sent arny, sorry i forgot!
    Bob
  • Options
    No problem Robert.

Alright, we're all paid up and ready to go to the post office. I'm hoping to mail these out Monday afternoon/Tuesday morning so that we can have them in time for the weekend. By the way, please keep an eye out for any PSA 9 condition or above cards that I need for my set! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any feedback about one what Pop1/Pop2 PSA 10s sell for? I have a group of BGS 9.5s and I can't decide whether to try and cross them myself or put them out on Ebay as is. If any of you are feeling lucky send me a PM. image
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    not exactly sure what they go for but I seem to notice a lot of 10's regularly listed at $19.99 to start. I also know that a lot of 44 PSA 10's were listed and it ended yesterday without meeting the minimum...high bid was around $575 if I remember correctly....there were some stars in the lot also.........I've seen the stars sell for high prices, especially Carters and Mattingly's.....need to have Bug on the Rug fill you in more...he's the expert as far as I'm concerned........Arny and a few other can help also.......
  • Options
    If you have 1/1 or even 1/2 PSA 10s, then you're looking at anywhere between $25-40 per common player. For the stars, it goes up from there. Joe Carter 10s have been going consistently for $400 and Mattingly 10s for no less than $600 or so. Ryan, Rose, Ripken, Gwynn...anywhere between $75-100.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the info on the 10s.
  • Options
    page break...why does this happen.....turn, turn, turn....too bad we can't add the music from the song to the thread!!
  • Options
    Man, I'm getting so tempted with this box of '84 Donruss sitting in front of me!

Would you guys mind if I opened my 9 packs and started to post the results? Or, would you rather we all do it together this next weekend?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

LOL --- absolutely no self-control!

I'm out of town Sun-Tues next week so if we don't post on Sat or earlier you'll really go nuts.

Go ahead and rip if you must!

... but get my packs in the mail first!

-t

- Building these sets:
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Hey board!

I have a lot of 42 psa 9 84 Donruss commons. If anyone wants to start a psa 9 NQ set, here is a nice lot. I also would trade for psa 7 or 8s 50s or 60s baseball or 9s from the 70s. I am looking for $120 cash or a fun trade.

Brian
  • Options
    Bkritz - Don't tempt me! image

Besides BOTR's scans are so sweet I think I'll live vicariously through anything he posts; his set rules!

RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Bug, where is the bug.....Bill are you ok??? haven't heard from you for awhile........

Wanted to bump this back to the first page and thought I"d put out a bug alert!!!image:
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I'm still around but haven't spent much time in the card world as of late. I was back east last week with family and have been very busy since spring attending to family matters, both out here in CA and back in PA. Just typical life happenings that we all go through, but in a condensed version so far in 2006.

During this time I've also come to the decision to sell my 'Summer of 84D' registry set. Changing priorities coupled with a slight burnout of collecting (which we've all gone through at some point - this is my 3rd time in 24 years) factors in the decision. My goal is to sell the Basic set complete, along with all the variations I have in the Master. If I can't get a fair price (to be determined) for the whole package, I will break it, giving the great bunch of 84D guys here first crack at making me very strong offers for any cards in the set. Please note that I'm not selling the cards for need of cash, and since I have good knowledge of the tough cards, very strong offers will only be considered.

At some point within the next few days I'll post the set on the boards with some scans and see what offers transpire. Ebay will be the next step, and if I'm not satisfied with that, I'll then bust the set and see what happens.

For me this is just a bump in the road and nothing more. Card collecting is in my blood and who knows - at some point I may do another 84D set. I certainly haven't lost my love for this set, that's for sure.

Stay tuned on the boards for the 'post' and we'll see what happens....................

Take care, Bill
  • Options
    Arny,

Did you get our packs out yet???

I'm dyin' over here!

-t

- Building these sets:
  • Options
    You should be receiving your packs soon! Keep an eye out in the next couple of days. image

Then, we rip!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just posted my set on the boards and will be readying it for ebay if it doesn't sell........wish me luck.

BTW, enjoy the eye-candy!

Bill
  • Options
    Bill, your scans really make your cards stand out even more than they already do! I forgot, aside from 'softening' the scans, what else do you do?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny - all I do is remove the noise and then sharpen. Nothing tricky........takes about 5 seconds of mouse clicks per scan.
  • Options
    So, I'm halfway to great looking scans then. I "soften" the pictures which probably means "reduce noise". Do you do that first or "sharpen" the scan first? Or, does it matter?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I've done it both ways and it didn't seem to matter much. I'm in the middle of scanning my entire set, doing it by removing noise then sharpening, in that order.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    technically, you're supposed to sharpen as the last step, but it probably doesn't matter as much on something like this.

Arny, got the packs this morning when I got back in town, I'm ripping tonite!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Woo hoo! Great....make sure that you scan 'em too!

I'll rip tomorrow morning as I have to work tonight.....others?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Ok, had to open one today since they were sitting on my desk. 3 HOFers in there and the 2nd card was a flawless, perfectly centered Pete Rose. Schmidt was a bit OC, but looked great otherwise.
    This is the first time I've had any of this set in hand- I'm more of a pre war collector, but I've seen a lot of Bill's scans and thought this was a really nicely designed and photographed set. Having them in hand makes me realize my first impressions were correct. I was always under the impression that '89 Upper Deck was THE set of the '80's, but IMO this set blows that one away. Damn, I'd vowed not to start any more sets until I completed a few.
    At least it shouldn't kill me putting together a nice raw set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Anthony,
    Why put a raw set together when a completely graded one in 9 and 10 will be put on ebay this Thursday? All it takes takes is a whole bunch of C-notes. I guarantee you the physical weight of the set will out-weigh the bunch of C-notes.

Ever try and lift almost 700 slabs at the same time?
  • Options

<< <i>Ever try and lift almost 700 slabs at the same time? >>

unfortunately, yes. The people at BofA know better than to try and pull out my safety deposit box themselves.
    Think I'll stick to raw, takes up a lot less space and I can flip thru the pages anytime I want. But best of luck on your set, it sure is nice!

• Options
    (stupid page bump)
  • Options
  • Options
    kinda funny........we get involved in grading but never forget our real roots in collecting raw in binders and 9-pocket pages.
  • Options
    my roots were ripping packs and putting them in cigar boxes- I've just refined it a bit (plus a box of decent cigars costs too much and they don't give away the boxes anymore!)

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>kinda funny........we get involved in grading but never forget our real roots in collecting raw in binders and 9-pocket pages. >>

Thats what Topps Heritage baseball is for image .... in my own humble opinion of course!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    And the '06 Allen and Ginters!

• Options
    Well, my first pack went decently well......Yount, Sandberg (OC), Parrish (wax) and a well centered Marshall Edwards....

....the rest of the pack goes like this.

Bobby Grich - OC l/r
    Eric Show - dings & OC l/r & t/b
    Jose Morales - same as E.Show
    Gary Woods - PSA 8 candidate
    Len Sakata - OC l/r & t/b
    Dave Kingman - PSA 8 candidate
    Ben Oglivie - top left corner ding & OC t/b
    Frank Tanana - OC l/r & t/b
    Len Barker - possible PSA 8
    George Foster - OC l/r
    Richard Dotson - OC l/r

.....you can see that centering problems prevailed in the pack. The Yount and Edwards were decent though. More packs to come either later this morning or tomorrow! image

Oh....and Griffins....this set is absolutely beautiful when you look at it all complete (or nearly completed) in binders or in slabs. I've got a couple of complete sets raw. Good luck with yours!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The centering on the Edwards is super. Centering like this is sooooooo hard to find on a consistent basis. Throw in bold colors like on the Yount and it's understandable why 84D is so popular.
  • Options
    I agree Bill...that's why I just send in a 100 card submission....received the PSA receipt today.....so soon I hope to be telling everyone about a great submission......keeping my fingers crossed......I know that the $6 a piece cost was high but I couldn't wait any longer......It's probably affected us all at some time or the other....

al.
  • Options
    Arny,

Got my packs. Couldn't resist and immediately busted them all.

Will post scans soon.

I did pull a Ron Darling RC with no number on the back. Is this normal? It's in great shape, too.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    The Ron Darling No Number card is common. The Numbered card (in factory sets) in PSA 9 has been getting some nice dough. But, it's just as tough as the others with the centering issues. That's why this set is such a tough one to complete.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Pack #2 was not very special....a Fred Lynn DK (shown below) with an outside shot at an 8 image

But, that's why this set is a challenge for us! Here's the Lynn....

....the rest of the pack goes like this....

Frank White - OC l/r
    John Henry Johnson - OC l/r
    Jeff Russell - OC l/r
    Cesar Cedeno - OC l/r (outside shot at an 8)
    Willie Wilson - OC l/r (outside shot at an 8)
    Steve Trout - OC l/r & t/b
    Geoff Zahn - OC l/r & t/b
    Benny Ayala - looks like a PSA 8 w/outside shot at a 9
    Doug Sisk - OC l/r & t/b
    Luis Leal - OC l/r (outside shot at an 8)
    Phil Garner - OC l/r (possibly an 8 though)
    Mike Heath - OC l/r & ding
    Juan Espino - looks like an 8
    Salome Barojas - OC l/r

.....so, hopefully the next pack is better. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    My 3rd pack was a little better in the centering department, but the biggest 'star' was a Brett Butler (wax stain)....

...the rest of the pack went like this....

Andy McGaffigan - centered, but touched corner keeps it at an 8
    Checklist 4 - OC r/l
    Ned Yost - OC l/r
    Rich Gale - OC l/r (shot at an 8)
    Joey McLaughlin - OC l/r
    Luis Salazar - OC l/r (shot at an 8)
    Roy Smalley - OC l/r (shot at an 8)
    Bob Knepper - OC l/r
    Domingo Ramos - OC r/l & b/t
    Doug Frobel - OC l/r (shot at an 8)
    Dave Rozema - OC l/r

Let's hope for better stuff from the rest! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    sorry for the delay but i havent had time to check my box yet, hopefully tomorrow.
    hey blind post that darling scan - i 've been searching for that darling in a 10 forever!
    Bob
  • Options
    arny i got my packs, thanks. i ripped them in 5 mins. oh the memories. no mattingly. oc's, corner dings and some tiny dents on a few cards along the top border. joe carter oc, reggie oc, i pulled about 20 cards to post scans. a real nice dk checklist that has 10 centering but a tiny corner ding. ripken, boggs look like 9's. about 5 possible 10's i think. scans to follow
    Bob
  • Options
    Alright guys ... here come my scans for my portion of our bust....

Overall, I had 12 nicely centered, possible PSA 9+ cards out of the entire lot. Not too bad I guess considering the known centering issues for this product. Here are the first six of those 12.

RVC, unfortunately the Darling has a slight diamond cut -- otherwise it'd have a shot at a 10.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Here is the second half of my 12 gradeables ....

Though I'm currently building this set in high grade raw first --- so for now these won't be shipped to PSA anytime soon.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    I'm most impressed by the Cabell. It's a tough card and yours is very nicely centered.

Funny thing about 84D's - when I've ripped wax boxes, I swear I'll never to do that again, and then go to ripping factory sets. After ripping a few factory sets, I swear I'll never to that again, leaning once more in the wax direction. What does this all mean?.............

WHERE'S ALL THE FRICKIN RACK CASES????????............................... image (not that would change anything - it's just another short-sighted way out.)

• Options
    Here are the other notables from my portion of the bust ... overall it appears I had a pretty star-heavy 9 packs.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    and here is my final scan --- my four best pulls (centering aside) ...

- Building these sets: