Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Official 20th Anniversary Gold American Eagle Price Thread™

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking the gold set has been overshadowed by the silver sets at this time. The silver sets are where the heat is now; lot of the masses jumping in on these with the recent sellout and christmas on the way.

The gold sets have probably had their initial flare up.... now may be time to hold and let the low mintage push the price up in the next year or so.
    ----- kj

• << <i>So when do you think the gold sets will rebound in value.
    >>

I don't think the sets will start going back up again til the price of gold starts making new highs.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This eBay auction shows the power of a PCGS graded PF70 AGE set.

3 hours to go.................................this could be a record.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    That seller passed up $16 k before I think. I bet his reserve is 20k.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    holeinone1972: Only 7 sets with PCGS 70/70/DCAM69 have sold on eBay. The average price is $7993, and declining. The previous 2 sold for $7,250 and $7,500. AGEs are generally in a distinct downward trend, but for the 70 sets. If you're doing this as a short term investment, prices aren't apt to rise anytime soon IMO . On the other hand, if you put 'em away for the long-haul, they still have a lot more upside.

On another note, the prices for NGC sets continue dropping and are diverging further from the PCGS graded sets:

NGC 69: ( 58 Sets) Avg.: $4,616 and declining Last 12 traded between $3945 and $4,179.
    NCG 70: (111 Sets) Avg.: $7,139 and declining Last 10 averaged $6676.

Compare to PCGS Graded Sets:

PCGS 69: (16 Sets) Avg: $ 5,005 and declining Last 4 traded between $ 4,645 and $4,850
    PCGS 70: (10 Sets) Avg: $14,413 and rising. Last 4 Traded between $15,501 and $16,989. That's a $10,000 difference vs. NGC

Hope this helps.

Happy Collecting!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    Thanks 53Bkid, very informative post!!!!

Yes.........that does help a lot!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AGE's are looking like the Buffalo silver dollars in which they were hot for 3-4 months then calmed down then was fairly steady for 5 YEARS before they went on fire in the middle of 2006.

This makes predicting these AGE's impossible.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    How low did the 2001 Buffalos go during that trougth?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How low did the 2001 Buffalos go during that trougth? >>

I seem to remember about $80- $90 per coin or about $160 to $180 per set after they hit a high of about $110 to $120 per coin ($220 -$240 per set) in the first four months.

These were for the raw coins.

I might be slightly off in my memory. Feel free to correct me.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Here's something for anyone still following this to note:

This afternoon I encountered in my email what I concluded to be a highly deceptive and fraudulant 'second chance offer' for a 20th AGE set. The set was offered to me at the price I bid, a full $1000 less than the average selling price the past several weeks. I've learned that anything in the coin world that seems too good to be true, generally is.

The item was offered via email through something called eBay Express Services. Through a conversation with someone who handles suspicious transactions for ebay I learned that 'second chance offers' are not made through email, but only direct through 'My Messages'.

By all appearances the item seemed as if it was offered by ebay, claiming that members are 'insured up to $20,000.00'

Going through the offering, the purchase of the item required payment via 'bank wire receipt' to an Austrian bank. (Always a red flag).

As I have personally been stung on the purchase of a coin before, I am taking this up with the FBI on monday. However, I wanted to let other members of the forum know about this as well, hopefully to prevent others from being stung.

Happy Collecting!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

***The item was offered via email through something called eBay Express Services. Through a conversation with someone who handles suspicious transactions for ebay I learned that 'second chance offers' are not made through email, but only direct through 'My Messages'.***

Believe it or not, I actually got a second chance offer in my email and My Messages together....very deceptive and shrewd.

I will be wary of My Messages from now on.

Can anyone tell me what price the AGE RP graded by PCGS PF70 should be valued???

I'm seeing prices from $5k to $5+k.

Will this coin continue toincrease in value as so many have posted here?

Thanks in advance.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE
    2006 W PCGS MS69 have ranged $165 to $190 since 11-6. These of course are the FS, 20th Anniv. coins.
    2006 P PCGS Pr69 Rev proof: $285 to $470 since 11-6.
    Raw sets range from $160 to$ 260

Rev Proof: I have seen a lot of "buy now" but no sales in the past 2 weeks.
    Proof 69: One for $811
    Unc W PCGS MS69: One for $688

The gold RP is the only coin going for above the average cost of $850 in the 3-coin set.
    The silver W, RP are above the average $33 in the 3-coin set.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Sever Rev PR70 Golds lately for $4,200 give or take. Seams to be a drop in the last couple days. Unfortunately, mine was one of them
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    Thought this one......Link....would have gone off much higher.

Thoughts????

• << <i>Thought this one......Link....would have gone off much higher.

Thoughts???? >>

That was my auction, not so good but I did get 11200 for the 70dcam so now if I can get 2000 for the unc, I will be at 17500+ for 3 coin set
    Michael
    Major gain.......CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, Okay, Okay....

Only 3 PCGS graded DCAM 70s (First Strike) have sold on eBay for an average price of $10,711. But if you missed the "First Strike" deadline of what 10/24? and you opened your box, and sent your coin in for grading...

You just get the regular lable, right?....no 20th Anniversary...No 'First Watchamacallit, er, I mean First Strike (TM) , but the same 70 grade though sold for...$1,318.80.

Two identical coins--two different pieces of paper with a world of difference of perception and about a seven fold difference in the price the market will bear.

What a sad commentary on this whole gig...

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Okay, Okay, Okay....

Only 3 PCGS graded DCAM 70s (First Strike) have sold on eBay for an average price of $10,711. But if you missed the "First Strike" deadline of what 10/24? and you opened your box, and sent your coin in for grading...

You just get the regular lable, right?....no 20th Anniversary...No 'First Fraud, er, I mean Strike' but the same 70 grade though sold for...$1,318.80.

Two identical coins--two different pieces of paper with a world of difference of perception and about a seven fold difference in the price the market will bear.

What a sad commentary on this whole gig... >>

I just dont see why the rev proof gold is not the big winner here, like the rev proof silver.

Naturally I got the rev proof gold, and the proof silver in 70, so backwards on each for most valuable.

Dannnnng
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, Okay, Okay....

You just get the regular lable, right?....no 20th Anniversary...No 'First Fraud, er, I mean Strike' but the same 70 grade though sold for...$1,318.80.

What a sad commentary on this whole gig... >>

I believe the Prf Eagle was also in the 4pc gold set... offered earlier this year. Someone at PCGS was smart enough not to allow the coins from both sets to be mixed.. I also have seen more than 3 of the PRF 70s sold on ebay..Perhaps 4 or 5 at least were sold as BIN.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

People will adventually wake up and figure out that the mintage of the Reg. Pr AGE is the highest in a long time, probably over 40,000.

I figure, think 10 years down the road. Which coin is going to sell?

That is probably right on the money.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    I agree the pf reverse will sell for more, but a lot of collectors are looking for a complete 70 set and the 70 DCAM with the annivesary label will play a role in that.
  • I smell a rat! ....

The last 13 bids have been from the same 3 bidders...all with 200-300 feedback....looks like a %^&*( to me!

JMO

FloridaBill
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    If not rats, it certainly seems like a bunch of rodents.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

<< <i>If not rats, it certainly seems like a bunch of rodents. >>

***The last 13 bids have been from the same 3 bidders...all with 200-300 feedback....looks like a %^&*( to me***

Hmmmmmmm.....that auction is very suspect!

Where are all the ASE auctions on eBay of late??????

For that matter, how about he AGE sets and Gold Buffalo sets??

Is there going to be a Christmas explosion?????????????????

Time will tell!!!!!!

<< <i>Where are all the ASE auctions on eBay of late??????

Time will tell!!!!!! >>

Strange ......PCGS and NGC combined , have graded only 8 ,000 of the 2006 Silver Anniv sets ..... will there be a big wave of sets ( 50-100,000 ? ) shipped next week ?

<< <i>

<< <i>Where are all the ASE auctions on eBay of late??????

Time will tell!!!!!! >>

Strange ......PCGS and NGC combined , have graded only 8 ,000 of the 2006 Silver Anniv sets ..... will there be a big wave of sets ( 50-100,000 ? ) shipped next week ? >>

????????????? Just sent in my last 5 sets for grading. I had all intentions of keeping them in original unopened shipping box, but I can't freeking stand it. It's worse than x-mas as a kid. LOL

Can some please help.

I want to send my 1 AGE set to PCGS for grading.

Do I include the Original gold box and enclosure, the lacquered box set holder, and the COA??

How do I insure that I get the "20th Anniversary set" on my PCGS slabs??

My dealer claims it must be in the sealed corrug. original FedEx box to achieve this status form PCGS.

He admitted he's never sent AGE sets to PCGS, so he's off the hook.

Please advise...just a bit of confusion on my end.

Thanks in advance.
    It cannot be opened at all if you wish to get the 20th anniversary designation. If you have opened the box, the only coin to get the label will be the reverse proof. The ms and the reg proof will not get the 20th anniversary designation.

Rob

<< <i>It cannot be opened at all if you wish to get the 20th anniversary designation. If you have opened the box, the only coin to get the label will be the reverse proof. The ms and the reg proof will not get the 20th anniversary designation.

Rob >>

Thanks Rob for the clarification.

Would you think it be better to have my AGE set slabbed or left alone in it's beatiful box?

I don't mind investing with PCGS on the chance, slim as it is, on getting a PR70 RP.

Regards,

Mike

personal opinion send it in...

only if unopened

<< <i>personal opinion send it in...

only if unopened >>

Thanks for your advice.

How about I just send the RP??

Is that viable???
    sure are you a pcgs member....if so grading is free this quarter on the rev proof..

<< <i>sure are you a pcgs member....if so grading is free this quarter on the rev proof.. >>

Yes I am....thanks again Rob and all that helped clarify this process.

This attached chart shows the progression of average daily prices paid on eBay for raw AGE sets since 8/31.

As you can see, prices are once again building as supply begins to dry up.

I don't think many sets were distributed in the past 2 weeks, despite the 11/27 delivery estimate.

Should be interesting to see how much these increase once the mint cancells outstanding orders that can't be filled.

Happy Collecting!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Nice work 53BKid, thanks for charting the prices.

<< <i>This attached chart shows the progression of average daily prices paid on eBay for raw AGE sets since 8/31.

As you can see, prices are once again building as supply begins to dry up.

I don't think many sets were distributed in the past 2 weeks, despite the 11/27 delivery estimate.

Should be interesting to see how much these increase once the mint cancells outstanding orders that can't be filled.

Happy Collecting! >>

Good reporting KId over the last 3 months .....If the raw sets continue to firm ..looks like it will be a reverse breakout ..breaking NGC 69s , putting them back in the box and selling all 3 coins as a set again
    Average individual prices for NGC graded 69s are less than the three sold as a set:

MS-69...............$699
    UCAM-69........... 818
    Rev.Pr 69......$2,356

Full 69 set.....$4,582, recently trading around $4100-4300.

Whereas ungraded AGEs have been selling recently at $4400-5000. No wonder the boxes are selling for $75-120.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Average individual prices for NGC graded 69s are less than the three sold as a set:

MS-69...............$699
    UCAM-69........... 818
    Rev.Pr 69......$2,356

Full 69 set.....$4,582, recently trading around $4100-4300.

Whereas ungraded AGEs have been selling recently at $4400-5000. No wonder the boxes are selling for $75-120. >>

The reverse price is much higher ..one sold last week for $ 3,100.00 +
    Actually, one seller sold off 7 NGC graded 69 Reverse Proofs early on for $2,150 a piece. Those sales weight down the averages.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    Here's something I found interesting. So far, PCGS & NGC have graded a total of 4,109 gold reverse proofs.

That's over 41 Percent of the entire issue.

As for myself, I just sent in mine today.

I wouldn't be suprised to see more than 50% of this issue graded, an outrageously high percentage compared with most any other coin!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Here's something I found interesting. So far, PCGS & NGC have graded a total of 4,109 gold reverse proofs.

I wouldn't be suprised to see more than 50% of this issue graded, an outrageously high percentage compared with most any other coin! >>

I sent in my Reverse Proof today also.

My very first submission to PCGS.....plus it was a free grading special for RP's.

Guess they want to corner this market's population.

Good luck to you.

<< <i>Here's something I found interesting. So far, PCGS & NGC have graded a total of 4,109 gold reverse proofs.

I wouldn't be suprised to see more than 50% of this issue graded, an outrageously high percentage compared with most any other coin! >>

This number sugests that most if not all sets have been delivered
    Yes, that's what I thought.

Despite this the mint still has so many people who have orders that indicate "Expect Delivery" on 11/27.

Don't you think it would be good business to cancell those which have no possible means of receiving these sets?

Or is that just expecting too much from the mint?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>

This number sugests that most if not all sets have been delivered >>

It's also a freebie grade for PCGS members this last quarter.

Sounds like PCGS wants to be the major TPG on this baby!
    Yeh, and I'll bet there some NGC's are being cracked open now that people see the price disparitiies.

Don't you find it odd that most all of the AGE sets graded 69 or 70 by NGC were either all 69s or all 70s?

Among the sets sold on eBay, 70 sets have sold so far with grades of 69 across the board. (for an average price of $4,566 and declining )...140 sets that have sold have been 70s for all three (with an average price of $6,990). A mere 9 sets had mixed grades.

I'd expect NGC 70s sets to continue dropping. They've gone from the mid to high 8,000s initially, to current sales in the low $6000s, despite the fact that raw prices are increasing as supply dwindles.

Sellers of the NGC 69 sets who are looking to maximize their profits are better off cracking them out and selling them ungraded. Oh, but that's why the 20th AGE boxes keep selling for nice premiums.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file