Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Official 20th Anniversary Gold American Eagle Price Thread™

Comments

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AGE set

This won't last for long. >>

Yea I saw that one. Not sold because no paypal I guess. I got my sets, but I was seriously thinking of speculating on that one... Seems you could flip it for an easy $500 +

Did you see the 3 Coin ALL PCGS 70's !!

Sold for BIN $12,500 !!

Heck you could have bought almost 5 sets from the Mint for that.

Living Large

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    These sets will be over $6000 tommorow caused mostly from the disapointed mint customers who won't be getting their sets tommorow. I think tommorow I would guess is the last shipment for these but who knows, unless they are doing these in intervals of 2500 sets every few weeks.

• << <i>Did you see the 3 Coin ALL PCGS 70's !!

Sold for BIN $12,500 !!

Heck you could have bought almost 5 sets from the Mint for that.

Living Large

image >>

Holy crap, that's insane.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These sets will be over $6000 tommorow caused mostly from the disapointed mint customers who won't be getting their sets tommorow. I think tommorow I would guess is the last shipment for these but who knows, unless they are doing these in intervals of 2500 sets every few weeks. >>

Right now there is only ONE COIN in the three piece gold set that will not be offered as a single piece. That means people will be paying several thousand dollars for the reverse Proof, and the rest of the coins will kind of be coming along for the ride. The reverse Proof is going to have to be mighty popular item to have that price hold up. And if the mint is dumb enough to double cross its customers and offer that as a single coin, look out below!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a question: does it make more sense to have the reverse proof graded or keep the set intact (for the speculator). My analysis is that there are more reverse proofs in 70 than 69, and the coin by itself will sell for $5000+ in 70. The set by itself is selling for $4800-$5000. If you get your 70 and can sell the coin for $5000, you can essentially keep the other two coins "for free".

<< <i>

<< <i>These sets will be over $6000 tommorow caused mostly from the disapointed mint customers who won't be getting their sets tommorow. I think tommorow I would guess is the last shipment for these but who knows, unless they are doing these in intervals of 2500 sets every few weeks. >>

Right now there is only ONE COIN in the three piece gold set that will not be offered as a single piece. That means people will be paying several thousand dollars for the reverse Proof, and the rest of the coins will kind of be coming along for the ride. The reverse Proof is going to have to be mighty popular item to have that price hold up. And if the mint is dumb enough to double cross its customers and offer that as a single coin, look out below! >>

Unless you are buying the label. First Strike/20th...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless you are buying the label. First Strike/20th... >>

Heaven help us! Some people are like Pavlov dogs. The grading companies come up with a new term “First Strike,” which to my recollection had it origins with the barkers at Home Shipping Club, and now the lemmings are paying premiums for it.

Here’s the acid test. It should be once a “First Strike” always a “First Strike” if the term has any meaning. What if one were to crack out a “First Strike” and send it in for grading. Would it come back with the “First Strike” designation? If not, at least 80% of the time I’d say “First Strike” is a GIMICK.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless you are buying the label. First Strike/20th... >>

Heaven help us! Some people are like Pavlov dogs. The grading companies come up with a new term “First Strike,” which to my recollection had it origins with the barkers at Home Shipping Club, and now the lemmings are paying premiums for it.

Here’s the acid test. It should be once a “First Strike” always a “First Strike” if the term has any meaning. What if one were to crack out a “First Strike” and send it in for grading. Would it come back with the “First Strike” designation? If not, at least 80% of the time I’d say “First Strike” is a GIMICK. >>

It might be more difficult to find one that is NOT First Strike™.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    Bear I hope you get your set. I now know I won't recieve my AGE Set since I was placed on a waiting list after ordering 19 hours after the selling began.
    ttt
    Camelotimage

There's a lot of coin on ebay, but almost all of it is from the 2 coin set.

There's only about 10 3-coin sets.

• << <i>I have moved to "In stock and reserved" status (from "backordered") today. I expect my set to ship in the next 24 hours. image >>

Same here.
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a lot of coin on ebay, but almost all of it is from the 2 coin set.

There's only about 10 3-coin sets. >>

For all the quick flipping, I think a lot of people (speculators and collectors) are going to be holding some of these for a bit to see what happens. It's people that got multiple sets that are selling them and others are buying to see where it all goes....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Seven ungraded sets sold on ebay for between $5400 and $5900+ on 10/5/06, with none over $6000.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Just a little update to those who are waiting. I thought I was dead in the water, but 2 of my 3 sets as of this a.m. are showing in stock and reserved.

I almost fell off my chair with joy.

imageimageimageimageimage

Rob

I ordered these at about 6 pm on the 30th.
  • Me too! I am showing that one is in stock & reserved.
  • They just canceled one of my single orders because I had a security flag on my credit card that I didn't know about and they canned the order after hitting the card twice. I even called my credit card people earlier this week and the person I spoke with said everything was fine. I just found out that that person was incorrect and it cost me a 3-piece gold set )_*&(^$$%^&*() image

On a more positive note a senior Mint rep told me that other orders should start shipping from tonight through next week, though they have a holiday (Columbus Day) on Monday, so no Mint business until Tuesday.
  • They just canceled one of my single orders because I had a security flag on my credit card that I didn't know about and they canned the order after hitting the card twice. I even called my credit card people earlier this week and the person I spoke with said everything was fine. I just found out that that person was incorrect and it cost me a 3-piece gold set )_*&(^$$%^&*() image

On a more positive note a senior Mint rep told me that other orders should start shipping from tonight through next week, though they have a holiday (Columbus Day) on Monday, so no Mint business until Tuesday.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    So, you guys that just went to "reserved", what time did you order?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • My order of 1 AGE set also went to "in stock and reserved" this morning. I thought it was a lost cause!!. My order was made at 3:01 PM on the 30th with a # 231254XX. I also have a charge pending on my CC card.image
    Gary
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Is this thread still on page 1? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
    WAHOO, My order just changed to, IN STOCK., RESERVED.

WITH NO CANCELL BOX.

Ordered on the 30th at 4:30 PM #231290XX.image

When I get my set, I an gonna ship it off to PCGS and

after grading, I am gonna sit on the set for at least a year.

I will ask PCGS to return the box, papers and coin capsules

in case the complete set becomes worth more then the graded set.
    Camelotimage
  • Hi,
    My two sets have gone to "in stock and reserved" with no cancel box. Checked my CC and the Mint has been there. I am sooooooooo HAPPY! Don't lose hope.

• << <i>So, you guys that just went to "reserved", what time did you order? >>

08/30/2006 at 03:26 PM
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, you guys that just went to "reserved", what time did you order? >>

6 PM on the 30TH

I have one more pending from the 31st b4 the mint put up the still taking order b.s. I am hopefull.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like 15 - 20 AGE sets listed Thursday on Ebay ..many were 69 - 70 sets.... Several , new dealer sellers
  • I believe it was around 4:30pm
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    coin collecting or coin speculation. you decide.

• << <i>coin collecting or coin speculation. you decide. >>

Speculating to fund the collecting.
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
    There is a mint fairy. I just went to in stock and reserved too for my AGE Set but I ordered 19 hours after they started selling. I will believe it when I see my set. I guess being civil and nice when I called the mint about these sets paid off, plus all the mint products I ordered in the last 2 years is now way above $10,000.
  • jrscoinjrscoin Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Pr70collector, I think I ordered at about the same time (19 hrs 15 min after sale) and I am still backordered. Was your order near order #231359XX ?
    my order # is very close to yours and before yours also
    There was a post on here about someone surmising if you are on their subscription list for other mint products, which I am, you will have priority. I just don't know.
  • jrscoinjrscoin Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Thats very good news for me, THANKS!
    jrscoin, just as a precaution I would not list your order number on here. The first 4 digits is ok
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    There is a very saavy e-bay buyer who cleaned up buying these at ~$3,500 in the early days..... He has received positive feedback from multiple sellers, and he has returned feedback for many of them, so it appear the transactions are completing.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    Prices have softened a bit. Sets seem to be settling in the $4600-4950 range today. An NGC-69 complete set sold for $6000 yesterday. The NGC-70 sets are routinely trading over $8000. I have seen vanishingly few single reverse proof coins sell.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    $10,300.58 Oct-09 08:12 (Two Sets)
    $5,400.00 Oct-09 07:36
    $5,799.95 Oct-09 06:00
    $5,200.00 Oct-09 05:08
    $5,276.00 Oct-08 18:38
    $4,926.02 Oct-08 18:12
    $5,101.00 Oct-08 09:44
    $5,100.69 Oct-07 19:07
    $4,975.00 Oct-07 17:05
    $5,100.00 Oct-07 16:18
    $5,400.00 Oct-07 12:28
    $5,500.00 Oct-07 06:15

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    I have no interest in these coins, but I wanted to give this thread a bump to page 1. image
    I sold my two sets (one acquired from the Mint and received yesterday, the other on the secondary market). I probably left some money on the table, but I elected for a low-risk, private, off ebay transaction vs. the higher-risk, higher reward, fee-laden, ebay transaction.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold one yesterday on ebay for 5250.00 minus ebay & paypal expences netted 5000.00+
    Editted to add still in orginal shipping box from mint
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the sets are realizing in "over the counter" sales to dealers at recent shows?

Honestly, I'm a little hesitant to make a $5000+ sale over eBay using PayPal...and I'd be willing to get a little less for peace of mind.

Gold set #23129XXX was mailed 10/10/06

I await its arrival with great anticipation.

Set was delivered at 9 AM this morning , 10/11/06.
    Camelotimage
    I have to help this thing get to 100. image
  • Set #231254XX was also shipped 10/10/06.image
    Gary
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Gold Set #1 - Order number: 2313XXXX - 1 unit shipped on 10/10/2006 image

Gold Set #2 - Order number: 2314XXXX - 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 10/06/2006. image
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭
    20th anniversary gold 3-coin set received this morning. It is an outstanding set. I ordered on 8/30 at 7:35PM central time if that helps anybody gauge their set arrival. Good luck to you all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file