Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Nothing new, just a PSA 2 replacement;image
  • Options
    One for my Lasorda collector's showcase and another for my Tiant collector's showcase....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Nice Mays image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Picked up both variations of the 1934 Gallaher Champions Primo Carnera and a few '86 McDonalds FB Patriots team sets to get the Tatupus graded for my registry.

Arthur
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Haven't posted to this thread in awhile. Wow, you guys have acquired some great stuff!! I'm jealous.

Still working on my all-american set......this one is an SP and I got it for less than half of SMR

Decided to build a '75 Reds team set in PSA 8 just for fun, thought it would be a nice display. On a side note, the team card I received through ebay looks like a PSA 9+ in my hands. JMO

shawn
  • Options

Both of those Carnera cards are just awesome, Arthur. Nice pick-ups.

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Beautiful items guys. I got my first Christmas card of the year in the mail today.

Here is the front

Open up the card and here is what you get

Nice oddball addition for the Perez collection. I just love findings goodies like this.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    I don't even know where to begin with all this stuff. You guys are picking up some really nice items.

PackCollector, I too am a big fan of that '49 Bowman set. Before I started grabbing all the pre-war boxing/golf I could I had narrowed down my decision on what to collect to the '33 Goudeys, the '48 Bowman and the '49 Bowman. I'm real happy to see anybody collecting that set especially in the condition you're picking them up in.

Ajw, awesome Mays cards. I love the yellow/green on those Stand-Ups. I may have to pick a few of those up if they made any BoSox players for that set. Any Mays is a good Mays IMO.

The Cobb, the '85 Topps FB, Luis Tiant, All-American and I love the Perez XMas card. Great stuff everybody. Keep them all coming, I want to live vicariously through you all. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Couple more to add to my '84 Donruss set! Nearly complete now!

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Wow, this thread is just filled with beauties! I won't point out just one or two because it is all fantastic! Thanks for sharing the photos and information everyone. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Here are a couple that I hadn't shown....I received them about a week or two ago.

An upgrade to my Drysdale set and a step closer to completion on my '72 set.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Between my spending, the board members here and their generosity and no mail on Saturday I had quite a bundle of packages waiting for me today. I won't post scans of everything (since I received more Greenwells from you guys than my scanner would ever be able to scan and a lot of the golf/boxing stuff were doubles of cards I've already posted) but here are some highlights.

1922 The Champion/Sports Champions Georges Carpentier (the RC of this HOFer, according to the SMR)

Of course, this next card seems to dispute the previous RC status image

1912 Cohen Weenen Georges Carpentier "Green Back" (the REAL RC)

I've posted a few of these before but this one is the best conditioned one I've picked up so far.

1935 Pattreiouex Sporting Events & Stars Jimmy Braddock RC

Found two of these ... one is a Salem back and the other a Jasmatzi back (the better conditioned one)

1929 "World In Pictures" Max Schmeling

I'm hoping for an 8 on this but looks more like a 7

1928 Churchman "Men of the Moment in Sport" Gene Tunney

1935 Gallaher Champions 2nd Series C.J.H. Tolley & 1935 Ardath Crick. Tennis, Golf Henry Cotton

And I also picked up a 1979 Venorlandus set (48 cards)

They're not rare or that valuable but it's a pretty cool set with nice illustrations and an interesting mix of athletes. Here are a few ...

Arthur
  • Options
    Awesome Arthur....love those old boxing cards. Any doubles, I'll take 'em! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

the small start towards attempting a complete T206 set, should be done in about 15 years....starting with just portraits for now...
  • Options
    yeah for me i think it will be like 20 years..lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Picked up a Tiant rookie for my collector's showcase and three more upgrades/additions for my '72 set that arrived. image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny, that Tiant is a beauty. Nice find! image

Arthur
  • Options
    Another Camilo Pascual card for my collector's showcase.....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I just got two more Pirates for my collection.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.

Beautiful Fred Lynn.

Why do his cards get zero love?

Might start a Fred Lynn Registry set.
  • Options

dunno he was solid!! As for that lynn is coming back in a 10 holder as we speakimage Its one of the toughest cards in the 81 set only 2 10's and 8 9's, but to get one centered is luck usually 7030 or worse.

Matt
  • Options
    Lawnmowerman, your are number 1 in AIKMAN set with only 3% completed!! looks like you need some more competition!

you thnk you will ever be #1 in Emmitt Registry?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I was woken up by my mailman a little after 2:00 PM today, as I had to sign for a package. In the package was this nice little pickup

I still like press plates, especially 04 Draft plates, so I couldn't let this one slide. After getting back from the store, my concierge informed me that I had 2 more packages waiting for me. The first one was my Mastro catalog (damn those things are heavy!). The second was a group of auction house items I had recently won. I'm glad it arrived, as I was starting to get concerned about it! The goodies:

1973 Topps Near set (missing 11 cards), with 186 signed cards, PSA 8 Ryan and Mays cards, and a PSA 7 Schmidt rookie!

Lot of 500 autographed cards from the 70's

When flipping through the pages, I found a lot of cards nicer than the ones scanned (why scan a 74 Blyleven, when there is a signed 71 Rookie Card of his in the lot?)

And lastly, a 1949 Cleveland Indians Team signed baseball:

Hall of Famers on the ball start of with Satchel Paige (panel shown above), Lou Boudreau, Bob Feller, Early Wynn, Larry Doby, and Bob Lemon. The ball is also signed by Lefty O'Doul. How often do you find a baseball signed by Paige from his second season in MLB?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

you thnk you will ever be #1 in Emmitt Registry? >>

I hope so! I have about 75 cards that still need to be added to the composite. I also have about 140 at and going to psa this month. So that should help me. When I get determined to do something I usually follow through. I just need to stay focused.

Matt
  • Options
    Arch: Awsome '63 Pirate cards.

ArneVee: You have inspired me to start a '72 registry set, darn you! 90th finestimage so far!

Robert

• Options
    Welcome aboard the '72 train Robert!

Check out the "official" thread here 1972 Topps Baseball Thread as there are lots of tips and things you can read.

It's a great time to buy '72s as 8s are very affordable (aside from the lower pop commons and star cards) and can be picked up from $5 to $10 in PSA 8 and $10 to $15 for lots of 9s. Good luck and let me know if you need any help! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just purchased:

imageimage

The Hooton card is one of my favs, so far, of any of the action shots I have seen on the 84 Donruss set.

Only 655+ more to go!!image
  • Options
    Aren't those '84 Donruss beautiful cards? I mean, even the common players have things such as the grip on the ball on the Hooten card which are just crisp clean pictures and beautiful action shots.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks, AV. Looks like you are well on your way to a top 5 set. Good luck.

Robert
  • Options
    1907- W555 Napoleon. Damn mice;

• Options
    Burt Hooton is THE MAN!
  • Options
    Just won:

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    As always, some great stuff all around !

This is a little project I started about 2 months ago. The latest 2 arrived in the mail the past few days. Guidry was my favorite player as a kid before Mattingly came into the league, so to be able to pick up auto'd cards for roughly $5-12 a piece its been good, inexpensive fun.

I have another 4 or 5 waiting to arrive, but here is my efforts so far.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I had a bunch of these autographed at card shows in the mid 80's and sent them in the PSA/DNA. I got the Carlton and Carew at the National this year. I have decided to pursue this as a side project and see how many I can get.

These here are the ones that I obtain in person and just got back last week.

This is one of the first PSA/DNA cards I sent in last year (?)

I recently picked this one up on eBay:

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This is the coolest thread to browse through - wonderful cards everyone!

Here's my latest pickup - an upgrade from an 8 to the only 10 out there

edit:
    Butler master set

Geordie

• Options
    Finally a star card!!

• Options
    Great cards everyone!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    My latest addition:

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Some great stuff pouring in from everyone as always !

These just came today. Two more Thurman Munson AP and UPI Wire photos to go along with the one I picked up a couple of weeks back....

First, from 5/26/71 in Detroit. Thurman blocking the plate on Bill Freehan of the Tigers.

And this, from April 7th, 1973 at Fenway park in Boston. Munson was sliding to catch a foul ball hit by the Sox Reggie Smith.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremendous stuff!

This is always the highlite of my viewing here!

When I saw Chris's 73T Hunter auto card, it reminded me that the artwork on the cartoon back was the first one I ever bought - it came from the 89 Guernsey Topps vault auction.

Thanx for the scans!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This finishes off my T205/T206/T207 HOFer run (minus T206 Wagner and Plank) image

Steve
  • Options
    Another:

• Options
    Hey rbdjr1,
    Those cards scored very well even though the edges are very rough looking. How do you think PSA would grade those?
    I have a few 85 Donruss Clemens with that and I'm afraid to send them in because I don't think PSA will grade them well.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Wow, great stuff. The only thing better than checking this thread out everyday is being gone for 5 days and catching up on all the stuff you guys picked up.

Speaking of being gone for 5 days, I apologize in advance to anyone with dial-up. image

I'm starting to realize that I'm going for a Dempsey Master set. image

1922 Sport Champion Jack Dempsey RC

1947 Cummings & Son Famous Fighters Jack Dempsey (I really love the bright red background on this set)

I picked up a near-complete set of 1976 Isaly Discs. Here are some of the highlights ...

1923 Union Jack "Monarchs of the Ring" Georges Carpentier HOF

1957 Sweetule "Famous Sport Records" Joe Louis

Once I get this slabbed I can add it to my registry ....

1930 Wills Famous Golfers Abe Mitchell

I figured since there seems to be a autographed card theme going on lately and I can't show you (nor would you want to see them image) all the Greenwells i've been picking up I'd throw these babies up. Maybe after I finish my Greenwell Master set I'll do it all over again with autoed versions. image

There's a lot more but I'm tired of scanning and I'm sure you're all tired of scrolling down. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur, great job on the Greenwell autos and beautiful boxing cards!

Here are two more Tiants to add to my collector's showcase. Only need the '66, '67, '69, '80, '81, '82 & '83 to complete the run. Past the halfway point already! image

imageimage
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    CK; Nice Hubbell auto. This is an upgrade for a PSA Aut;

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Just one more to go image

Courtesy of jay at qualitycards dot com

Edited to add:

4,100!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts