Home Sports Talk
Options

The official DERAILED 2006 New York Yankees thread

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>bri-

from your very own article you linked:

"It might be strange to hear Mussina come to A-Rod's defense, given that Mussina himself pointed a finger at his third baseman for a throwing error on Thursday that helped spark a four-run inning in New York's 5-4 loss.

"I thought he was going to throw to first," Mussina said after Thursday's game. "When I turned and saw him throw home, all he had to do was throw it on target and the guy would have been out by 20 feet.

"It let everything happen from there," Mussina added of the error. "I was doing the same things I was doing before, it all just mounted up in one inning. It was a tough inning." >>

Ax, he was not bashing Arod in anything he said. What you read ( which I also read several times just for the record ) was taken out of context and based on what was asked of Mussina, not just what he offered on his own. Either way, it wasnt bashing Arod. He was asked questions, and he answered. Nothing more.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why the Yankee captain hasn't come out publicly and threw support behind A-Rod.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bri-

Again you missed my link on the prior page of this very thread, comments mussina made a day prior to your link:

Link

Mussina probably got blasted by Torre, and Mussina had to do a backstep. >>

Look at Tinkerbell stretching to validate his spewing hatred from a Canadian site image Notice no credible sites (cbsportsline, espn, etc) didn't even bother to run with that angle.

Again, who are you to call out hometown fans when you aren't even a fan of the numerous teams in your own state?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Stown-

you've lied repeatedly to this forum...you've said you were going to keep your hate and bile for me in your bet thread...now, stop it. You made a promise.

As far as Mussina's comments, it's not taking out of context when you post the entire answer. And what, Canadian sites are suddenly invalid, just because they aren't under the thumb of MLB?

Look, Mussina made the comments, there's no out of context crap when his entire response was posted.
  • Options
    Look, you are wrong, period. Mussina came to Arods defense more than any player or coach has. You are wrong, looking for an excuse to bash any Yankee other than Errod. I will not continue to go back and forth over this, you cant admit anything nor is it possible for you to ever be wrong.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Mussina made those apologetic comments a day AFTER bashing him for playing poorly.

Where is jeter to stand up for Arod? I thought he was 'the captain'? Why isn't he in the press telling fans to get off Arod's back? Why isn't he telling the press, the fans that booing Arod repeatedly is just making things worse?

Booing arod has become the thing to do in NY - the petty fans are jealous of his success, his fame, and his money. If they were REAL fans, they'd be applauding the guy every time he comes up, in hopes that reinforcement will turn the slump around. But NO, they'd rather laugh and boo at the guy who's gotten to 450 HRs faster than any one - ever.

Good work, NY! You deserve to spend $200 on payroll and miss the playoffs.

• Options
    NY Yankee fans don't get jealous over Arods "percieved" success, nor his contract. They are angry that this "Best player in the league" is having a lower than average year for himself, when he is most needed to come through with all the injuries the Yankees are having. There is no reason to applaud a guy who isn't performing as of late. No one on the team "has to" stand up for Arod, Arod has the abilities to let his in game performance speak for itself. To bad as of late he hasn't been able to do that. Maybe it's true, he can't handle the pressure. Jete is batting a clean .344(3rd best in the majors), he's doing his best. The same CAN'T be said for ARod.

Oh, the Yankees won't miss the playoffs. But I guarentee your Mariners will.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Arod sucks.

and now it's Jeter's fault.

what kind of fantasy realm do you live in ?

He should tell the media what to say and write...tell the fans what to think...ya....brilliant.

• Options

<< <i>Stown-

you've lied repeatedly to this forum...you've said you were going to keep your hate and bile for me in your bet thread...now, stop it. You made a promise. >>

Where have I repeatedly lied, Tinkerbell? I'm calling a spade a spade, just like I said I would image

<< <i>As far as Mussina's comments, it's not taking out of context when you post the entire answer. And what, Canadian sites are suddenly invalid, just because they aren't under the thumb of MLB?

Look, Mussina made the comments, there's no out of context crap when his entire response was posted. >>

Mussina was answering questions, not bashing E-Rod. It's not like he went out of his way to randomly bring up that a 5-year old could have made the play better than A-Rod. Funny how the only site that reported this "bashing" was your Canadian site and perhaps a couple of bloggers. No one else, not cbssportsline, espn, or even MSM sites, twisted Mussina's comments as bashing.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Please explain something to me, yankee 'fans':

What exactly does booing Arod do? How is that going to make him perform better? Do you think he isn't harder on himself than any of you petty dopes could ever be?

The 'thing to do' in NY now is to boo Arod. Where are Jeter and Torre to publicly back this guy and tell you idiots to lay off?

Jeter came out and publicly defended Giambi during the steroid mess - where's his voice for Arod?
  • Options
    Oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Tell them to stop picking on A-Rod! The fans are being a bunch of meanie-heads.

Please...

A true professional athlete should be able to tune out the boos. He's a head case and can't take the bad with the good.

What a chump.
  • Options
    stown-

you aren't a yankees fan, this question was addressed to them. Why are you being such an ass? You promised this forum you'd quit your incessant whining and crying and pointless arguing with me...yet here you are doing it over and over and over again.

Get lost, twit.

Yankee fans (and yankee fans only):

What is accomplished in booing Arod? How do you think that's going to make him perform better?
  • Options
    I cheer guys when they are performing well(at or above their usual numbers/abilities). How will cheering a guy who's in a funk make him work through his problems any quicker? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Both Jete and Torre realize this "Guy" has the most errors of ANY third baseman in the MLB. Until his current performance merits his paycheck, no one has a reason to defend this guy.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Since when did you become the forum police, Tinkerbell?

I'm simply calling a spade a spade. You call out hometown fans when you aren't even one yourself. You hate the Yanks with a passion, spewing hatred on this thread almost daily. Who are you to tell others what they can and can't do.

Go bark up another tree, Tinkerbell.
  • Options
    PS - Yankee fan, you have every single right to boo E-Rod image
  • Options
    I think the problem with Arod may just be perception.
    In NY i don't think the fans feel he's one of "ours", and they do for the most part feel that way for Jeter.
    Theres nothing Arod can do to change that perception in the fans, its something that he has to deal with, its up to him how he chooses to deal with it. I'm also not saying its right or wrong for the fans to have that attitude towards him, but it looks like they do.

All i know or care about, is that i would much rather have him happy and with his head on right, than the way it seems he's playing now. He looks lost in the field and at the plate. I mean this is a guy who changed positions when he came to NY and still went out and won an MVP last year at a completely new position for him, the guy has talent, no doubt about it, his mental toughness or state right now is what i'm most concerned with.

Free Agency has changed the game, your guys used to be your guys until they retired or got traded, who could imagine brett,yount,gwynn or yaz playing somewhere else? These days, your guys can be someone elses guys from year to year. I still have a hard time rooting for damon, knowing how he killed us in the past, but i can look past that and realize how he helps.
  • Options
    That's why I cheer so much for guys like Jete, Jorge, Bernie, Cano, Melky, and Big Mo. There guys that I've watched come up. I have nothing against ARod, but he chose to come and play in the biggest spotlight. No matter how great his played last season the Yankees didn't win the WS. So any and all individual awards are just that. I'd say the same if it was Jete or Bernie. Now he's playing in the field like it's his first time on the left side of the infield.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>What exactly does booing Arod do? How is that going to make him perform better? Do you think he isn't harder on himself than any of you petty dopes could ever be? >>

it does the same thing that 10000 posts on a message board does - not a whole hell of a lot...

Maybe it lets Arod know that the real fans are watching though - they see through his years of inflated stats for bad teams, past his meaningless MVPs, to the real Arod - the one who grounds out meekly (ARod the Meek was the best nickname EVER) to short 90% of the time he comes to bat in a crucial situation. Booing lets family guys who spend $500 to take their kids to a game voice his displeasure over a 26 million dollar man being the 5th or 6th guy on the team (maybe) you'd want up in the World Series with 2 on and 2 out in the ninth.
  • Options

<< <i>it does the same thing that 10000 posts on a message board does - not a whole hell of a lot...

Maybe it lets Arod know that the real fans are watching though - they see through his years of inflated stats for bad teams, past his meaningless MVPs, to the real Arod - the one who grounds out meekly (ARod the Meek was the best nickname EVER) to short 90% of the time he comes to bat in a crucial situation. Booing lets family guys who spend $500 to take their kids to a game voice his displeasure over a 26 million dollar man being the 5th or 6th guy on the team (maybe) you'd want up in the World Series with 2 on and 2 out in the ninth. >>

Just like it does a lot of good defending him on said message board image
  • Options
    stownie-

you have continued to break your promise COWARD about leaving your childish spats with me in the bet thread...good work there chump.

And I hear the 'he's not one of ours', but Giambi, a self professed steroid user, is cheered loudly after a short bad stretch. Arod wins an MVP, is a professional day in and day out, yet he's booed.

<< <i>his years of inflated stats for bad teams, past his meaningless MVPs, to the real Arod - the one who grounds out meekly (ARod the Meek was the best nickname EVER) to short 90% of the time he comes to bat in a crucial situation >>

This is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER seen posted. Last year's MVP was meaningless? Inflated stats?

You, sir, are even more idiotic than stownie could ever hope to be.

And 'real' fans? You sure you didn't mean 'real spoiled fans'? I think you did.
  • Options
    New rule......NO Arod talk for the next 24 hours.....whose with me ??
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>stownie-

you have continued to break your promise COWARD about leaving your childish spats with me in the bet thread...good work there chump. >>

Why do you continue to bring up the bet that you pussed out from, Tinkerbell? Have I even mentioned it here? Nope, only you have. Gosh, is it that much in your head? Must be haunting you image

<< <i>You, sir, are even more idiotic than stownie could ever hope to be.

And 'real' fans? You sure you didn't mean 'real spoiled fans'? I think you did. >>

Again, who are you to call out who real fans? A real fan supports their home team. What does Tinkerbell do? Run away to another state...
  • Options

<< <i>New rule......NO Arod talk for the next 24 hours.....whose with me ?? >>

I'm down, it's not like "so-n-so" has done anything mentionable.

How bout that Jorge though!?!?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I still think we should just blame Jeter for Er-rod's horrendous play.
    after all, he is always standing on second or third base (watching and waiting) when Le Grande Whiff comes to the plate....this has to be intimidating....and just puts too much pressure on him.

We should also blame Torre...and Mattingly...and Giambi.. and Chuck Knoblauch..and prolly Bud Selig...and the fans...and the press..and the war...and the moon and the stars.

I can't be Er-rods fault... he "won" the MVP.

I say trade him back for Soriano...and do it today.

let him go win his MVP's somewhere soft and quiet.

• Options
    you call stown a child, then try to bait me with -

<< <i>You, sir, are even more idiotic than stownie could ever hope to be. >>

lol... I have no time for petty name calling, sir, that crap runs into hours and post after meaningless post....

The MVP last year came after a big second half which just happened to coincide with Giambi tearing the cover off the ball and batting behind him often in the 2nd half... I think ARods career probably boils down to something like this, though as the ARod expert you'd know better than me (I freely admit to only having time to closely follow the Yankees in MLB any more) -

1) Hitting in front of Griffey in Seattle, putting up big numbers in front of the most feared hitter in the game at the time. No rings.

2) Hitting in a bandbox in Texas, in a pretty stacked lineup, on a pitchingless team that played in a lot of meaningless, high-scoring games (an ARod specialty - watch for the HRs here!!!) putting up big numbers. No rings.

3) Hitting in a stacked (200 million!! 200 million!! 200 million!! say the haters) lineup in NY, putting up big numbers when all are healthy, coming up small in big situation after big situation, crapping out when injuries hit the other stars. No rings.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe some people agree with me, maybe they don't - I don't get my blood pressure up over it... And I would never, ever go to (example) an Astros website and defend Andy Pettitte like his honor was dependent on it, even though it ripped my heart out when he went to Houston...

edited because I can't type and missed the 4th t in "Pettitte"
  • Options
    Where are the boos for Randy Johnson? He's making nearly $20 million and has stunk it up this year, yet he gets no boos. Where's the treatment for him like for Arod?

These 'fans' are only digging into Arod because they are jealous - that's the only rational reason for it. The amount of hate being spewed is irrational and has no basis in reality.
  • Options

<< <i>
    1) Hitting in front of Griffey in Seattle, putting up big numbers in front of the most feared hitter in the game at the time. No rings.

2) Hitting in a bandbox in Texas, in a pretty stacked lineup, on a pitchingless team that played in a lot of meaningless, high-scoring games (an ARod specialty - watch for the HRs here!!!) putting up big numbers. No rings.

3) Hitting in a stacked (200 million!! 200 million!! 200 million!! say the haters) lineup in NY, putting up big numbers when all are healthy, coming up small in big situation after big situation, crapping out when injuries hit the other stars. No rings. >>

So plenty of players have never won rings...baseball more than any other sport, is dependant upon a TEAM being good. Do you really think that the yankees not winning rings the last 2 years was Arod's fault? What about the teams in Seattle and Texas? Was HE the reason they didn't win rings? If you honestly believe that, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

<< <i>Maybe I'm wrong, maybe some people agree with me, maybe they don't - I don't get my blood pressure up over it... And I would never, ever go to (example) an Astros website and defend Andy Pettitte like his honor was dependent on it, even though it ripped my heart out when he went to Houston...

edited because I can't type and missed the 4th t in "Pettitte" >>

Last time I checked this wasn't a team website.
  • Options

<< <i>New rule......NO Arod talk for the next 24 hours.....whose with me ?? >>

Cool with me... Hopefully Johnson can pitch well tonight, he has a decent (15-5) lifetime record vs. TX and has looked better the last couple of months... Look for Giambi to have a big game, he KILLS Millwood...
  • Options

<< <i>Last time I checked this wasn't a team website. >>

You'll have to forgive my internet terminology faux pas... I guess I should spend more time on message boards, then I would know that this is just a "Yankees thread". Maybe 9700 posts later, I'll get it... Feel free to correct me any time you see such a glaring error in my occasional posts...

adhering to the 24 hr. moratorium.
  • Options
    So because this is a yankees thread, someone can't defend Arod in it? And last time I checked, Arod was a yankee, isn't he?
  • Options
    only in NY..........best player in baseball........minor slump..........he's a worthless bum

yankee fan more of a spoiled brat than he's ever been
  • Options

<< <i>only in NY..........best player in baseball........minor slump..........he's a worthless bum

yankee fan more of a spoiled brat than he's ever been >>

Who has called him a worthless bum ?

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who has called him a worthless bum ? Text

murcerfan for one!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>only in NY..........best player in baseball........minor slump..........he's a worthless bum

Who has called him a worthless bum ? >>

Every so-called 'fan' who's booing him.

You 'fans' are pathetic.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You 'fans' are pathetic. >>

Ax, are we pathetic ? Why dont you just make it your sig line since you mention it in every post.

I didnt know booing someone was akin to calling him a worthless bum, but thanks for that clarification. Amazing what you can learn on here in any given night.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You 'fans' are pathetic. >>

Ladies and gentlemen, Tinkerbell's 10,000 post!

Congrats on 10,000 hate filled, name calling, attempted insult throwing, posts image

Perhaps one day, you can be a fan of your own home team and then bash fellow home team fans. Until then, you are waaaaaaaaay up in the peanut gallery.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Every time Ax-hole posts I imagine him sitting at his computer with his face beat read, screaming at his monitor with veins bulging out of his head.

lol

10.000 served

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    it's good to see that no one can give a single good reason for booing Arod, or say what their booing hopes to cause.

and stown-

I see you are again failing to live up to the promise you made to the forum.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the ol computer back up and running. Put new floors in my house the last two days image It really sucks that everything in the house has to go ON TOP of the new floors image Hey, even Yankee loses don't look so bad with sparkling new laminate and tile floors staring at me everywhere.

Glad to see the thread is as drailed has ever. Wooooooo Hooooooo image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Just got the ol computer back up and running. Put new floors in my house the last two days image It really sucks that everything in the house has to go ON TOP of the new floors image Hey, even Yankee loses don't look so bad with sparkling new laminate and tile floors staring at me everywhere.

Glad to see the thread is as drailed has ever. Wooooooo Hooooooo image >>

Soft,

Good to have you back. Tough series against my Jays, but I won't gloat, because there is plenty of time for payback next week. I'm a little nervous because unless the Jays revamp the rotation, Halladay will not be pitching in next week's series against the Yankees.
  • Options
    Yankee fans never booed Randy? Tinkerbell, you pull so much stuff out of your rear and you honestly have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Link

"The crowd of 52,587 began to boo Johnson"

There must be some mass conspiracy going on here.... Yankee fans ONLY boo E-Rod!!
  • Options
    The hate and bile yankee 'fans' throw at unit is nothing, absolutely NOTHING compared to what is being tossed Arod's way.

Good to see you had to go all the way back to May to find anything...while Arod's getting ripped in the papers and tabloids daily, and fans day in and day out abusing him.

Get lost pipsqueak, leave the baseball talk to the grown ups.
  • Options
    Look at Tinkerbell spinning to catch her tail..

<< <i>Where are the boos for Randy Johnson? He's making nearly $20 million and has stunk it up this year, yet he gets no boos. >>

• Options
    Oh and PS:

Anyone who watched the All-Star game this year heard loud and clear boooooooooos for E-Rod.

Care to explain that, Tinkerbell?
  • Options
    Stown-

why are you such a liar?

<< <i>I've tried, yawnie.. Oh lord, how I've tried. Tinkerbell followed me to several threads and kept instigating yet I resisted the bait and kept on keeping on. >>

You are the one following and stalking me...you are the one who came to this thread after I was posting about Arod and kept running your trap.

The forum sees you as a LIAR and HYPOCRITE...in addition to being a COWARD for not accepting the simple terms of the bet I offered.

Back on topic, Arod going 2-5 tonight with a couple RBI is a nice start...let's hope he can continue it and get these idiotic fans who have been booing him to shut their yaps.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Arod fans: not a bad night for the bum! 2 for 5 with a double & an RBI in a Yankee win! Alriiiiight!!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, Arod fans: not a bad night for the bum! 2 for 5 with a double & an RBI in a Yankee win! Alriiiiight!!!! >>

But he struck out and left a man on base!!! argh hang him!
  • Options
    Taking things out of context, as always, huh Tinkerbell?

I also said I will call a spade a spade.

How is your hometeam doing? Oh that's right, you don't even cheer for a team in your own state.

What happened to our proposed bet? Oh that's right, you ran away with your tail in between your legs.

What happened to Unit never getting booed? Oh that's right, he did and still does.

Why did E-Rod get booed at the All-Star game? Oh that's right, it was 100% Yankee fans in attendance.

You are not the forum police and I can post where I want. If you don't like it, tough cookies... Or in your case, tough doggy treats image
  • Options
    I never said Unit never got booed, I said where are the boos for Unit like they are for Arod? Arod's still having a pretty solid year: .277, projected 35 HR and 120 RBI. Not his usual numbers, but still career years for a majority of MLB players.

Unit on the other hand, is projected to end up 16-13, and currently sporting a 4.88 ERA. Where are the newspaper articles calling for his head, or him to be traded?

The differences in treatments are astounding - and speaks volumes about the spoiled nature of the typical Yankee 'fan'.

• Options

<< <i>it's good to see that no one can give a single good reason for booing Arod, or say what their booing hopes to cause.

and stown-

I see you are again failing to live up to the promise you made to the forum. >>

Like I've stated 3 previous times, Arod leads all ML 3rd baseman in errors. That's one helluva reason right there, and batting 30 points under his lifetime ba is another reason. Shall I continue?

" Not his usual numbers, but still career years for a majority of MLB players." He's not a "usual" player, nor do the "majority" have the talent Arod does. He's held to a higher standard because what's he's done and accomplished.

Still, you post more about how much you "hate" the Yankees and hardly ever about your so called favorite team. Why's that?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils