Home Sports Talk

The official DERAILED 2006 New York Yankees thread

Comments

• murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    gee sorry..i did not realize you were the yankee thread moderator.

..and...whooopps...was this a Yankee discussion thread or an Ax-hole forum?

sorry i didn't add value to your pathetic friday night wank-off...don't forget the lube ace.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    murcer-

so you have no real reason to hate arod, other than pure jealousy of his wealth and fame.

Got it.

arod sucks.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll throw out a congrats where a congrats is due. Congratulations to Arod, pretty good any way you look at it to be the youngest ever to 450 dingers, 2000 hits aint bad either.........Dont like the guy but I respect his ability.

Tuff series against the Jay's huh......image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arod is a first ballot Hall of Famer and has been a class act on and off the field. I just don't understand why Yankee fans spew such venom towards him. The only reason I can think of is it's because he's making 25 mil a year, but no one forced or held a gun to Hicks' head to sign him to that deal. The absolute hypocrisy there is that it was Hicks himself that started complaining about escalating salaries about a year or two after he paid WAY more than any other team would have to sign Arod to that deal. Let's face it, ballplayers make obscene amounts of money these days and most of them aren't nearly worth what they're making, but if you have a problem with salaries you have to blame the owners, not the players, and by extension, Bud Selig for the poor job he's done as the "commissioner" of baseball. Yes, Arod is struggling right now and making errors in the field, but there isn't a manager in the majors right now that wouldn't drool over the opportunity to insert him in the lineup everday, money issues aside. After all, this guy is going to wind up with 800 career homers! AnD I'm not a Yankees or an Arod fan, BTW, but to blast this guy day in and day out because of his paycheck is simply unfair and a bit ridiculous.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Let's not forget that now Mussina is 'calling out' Arod, effectively telling him that he needs to play better.

Mussina needs to shut his trap...last time I checked, Mussina's a guy that's never won 20 games, and has never approached the type of success Arod's had in his career. What a joke.

arod sucks.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

The Mariners are to blame.

If they had ponied up the cash the Yankees would not be in this mess. image

Congrats to Arod on the new milestones.

Now get back on the stick.

murcerfan - don't see you enough here anymore, keep coming back.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A-Rods defense has gone to pot. Last night was horrible. He looks like he has no idea what to do and has that "don't hit the ball to me" look in his eyes.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

<< <i> He looks like he has no idea what to do and has that "don't hit the ball to me" look in his eyes. >>

image Agreed

• << <i>A-Rods defense has gone to pot. Last night was horrible. He looks like he has no idea what to do and has that "don't hit the ball to me" look in his eyes. >>

I agree with you. But at the plate, he sure still scares the hell out of me. That HR he hit off Burnett was a bomb.
  • I wanted to add how impressed I am with Melky Cabrera. This kid can play. Solid fielder, a smart hitter, and is stealing bases at his leisure this series.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

Why do you hate the guy so much?

<< <i>

Why do you hate everyone else on the Yankees and New Yorkers in general so much ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>Let's not forget that now Mussina is 'calling out' Arod, effectively telling him that he needs to play better.

Mussina needs to shut his trap...last time I checked, Mussina's a guy that's never won 20 games, and has never approached the type of success Arod's had in his career. What a joke. >>

You are a dope. Mussina publicly defended Arod. He likened it to a child who does something wrong and gets yelled at for it...negative reinforcement, blah, blah......typical of you to spin things and distort facts.

For the 743 time on these boards Ax, it wasnt Jeters job to switch to 3rd, and nobody held a gun to Arods head either. His decision, and obviously a poor one.

-- Yogi Berra

<< <i>
    You are a dope. Mussina publicly defended Arod. He likened it to a child who does something wrong and gets yelled at for it...negative reinforcement, blah, blah......typical of you to spin things and distort facts.
    >>

Really?

"New York Yankees ace Mike Mussina wasn't in a forgiving mood Thursday night as he lashed out at third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Rodriguez's throwing error in the sixth inning led to a four-run inning for the Toronto Blue Jays, who defeated the Yankees 5-4 in 11 innings on a Vernon Wells walkoff home run at Rogers Centre.

"I don't know what's going on," said a pained Mussina. "I know he's played better. I know he's disappointed in the way he's playing. It's not him right now. We need him back the way he's supposed to be."

"However, Mussina didn't mince words when assessing the play.

"All he had to do was throw it on target," he said. "He would have been out by 20 feet."

Mussina was cruising through the first five innings, but gave up three straight hits in the sixth after Rodriguez's blunder.

"It bothers me when it all mounts up like that, especially after pitching so well for five innings," said Mussina. "When you get momentum going like that it's tough to stop."

Linky

Look, the last thing Arod needs are his teammates ripping him...if Mussina wanted to be a 'real' teammate, and not a glory hound, he'd have shut his mouth to the press about it and discussed privately.

How exactly is Mussina ripping him in the media going to inspire him to play better, give him confidence?

Utterly ridiculous.
    bri-

I look forward to your apology.
    And if you heard what he PUBLICLY said later on that night, and the next day you would see that he said the fans, the media and everyone else ripping Arod was not what he needed. I just heard the replay again on the FAN an hour ago. He talked about how he was frustrated, but didnt in any way mean to rip Arod. He THEN went on to say booing him was the same as scolding a child after doing something wrong, and how that is negative reinforcement that neither Arod or the team would benefit from.

So again, I didnt feel he ripped Arod, nor did any caller out of the dozens I heard. NOR did the media and announcers, AND Mussina went as far as to go through that whole speach that I just talked about. Therefore neither of you dopes will be getting or deserve any sort of retraction or apology. At least I expect it from Ax, but Perk, you are the real dummy for going through all that work without having a clue how it was said, or what was said afterwards.
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Really?

"New York Yankees ace Mike Mussina wasn't in a forgiving mood Thursday night as he lashed out at third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Rodriguez's throwing error in the sixth inning led to a four-run inning for the Toronto Blue Jays, who defeated the Yankees 5-4 in 11 innings on a Vernon Wells walkoff home run at Rogers Centre.

"I don't know what's going on," said a pained Mussina. "I know he's played better. I know he's disappointed in the way he's playing. It's not him right now. We need him back the way he's supposed to be."

"However, Mussina didn't mince words when assessing the play.

"All he had to do was throw it on target," he said. "He would have been out by 20 feet."

Mussina was cruising through the first five innings, but gave up three straight hits in the sixth after Rodriguez's blunder.

"It bothers me when it all mounts up like that, especially after pitching so well for five innings," said Mussina. "When you get momentum going like that it's tough to stop."

Linky

Look, the last thing Arod needs are his teammates ripping him...if Mussina wanted to be a 'real' teammate, and not a glory hound, he'd have shut his mouth to the press about it and discussed privately.

How exactly is Mussina ripping him in the media going to inspire him to play better, give him confidence?

Utterly ridiculous. >>

You forgot to say "I love you Arodcakes."
    Look I don't care that he backtracked, or tried to hide his initial response.

He said what he said, I don't care what he said as a retraction...he's a clown, and to say he didn't really 'mean' those things is ignorance.

<< <i>Look I don't care that he backtracked, or tried to hide his initial response.

He said what he said, I don't care what he said as a retraction...he's a clown, and to say he didn't really 'mean' those things is ignorance. >>

This bit of moral and factual advice brought to you by the resident freak show.

<< <i>
    This bit of moral and factual advice brought to you by the resident freak show. >>

Well I wasn't going to call Mussina a freak show...that's pretty harsh.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    This bit of moral and factual advice brought to you by the resident freak show. >>

Well I wasn't going to call Mussina a freak show...that's pretty harsh. >>

Ax, if ignorance is bliss then you are surely in a constant state of euphoria.

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The things I read in this thread really are amazing - do you Yankee fans really think that Arod is to blame for the team's current situation? The Yankees had essentially a fantasy baseball lineup of big-dollar FA acquisitions and veterans at every position, and it seemed like their front office thought that getting Arod would really put them light years ahead in the AL for the next decade. Of course, that hasn't happened, but it's hardly Arod's fault. The FA's, many of them older players, have suffered injuries en masse, and the rotation has been victim of some terrible signings (Wright, Pavano, Weaver, many others). The Yankee organization didn't really seem to plan for this, and now they have a young team on the field with several players coming from a mediocre at best farm system (some international players have been acquired through the Yankees spending their vast resources in foreign countries - these players can't be considered "homegrown" despite recent posts here to the contrary) and the bottom line is - is this really Arod's fault? I am hardly an Arod fan, but while the team falls down around him, he essentially made the difference last year in making the playoffs or not for NY, and is still considered one of the games best players. Yankee fans thought that Arod guaranteed them 10 WS rings in a row - and now that it's not happening, it's all his fault. Even murcerfan, who has been hiding under the bed for the last almost 2 years (since 2004) has come back on here to post, essentially, one thing - Arod sucks. Can you imagine where you'd be without him right now?
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    It is ok, he is just suffering from Chuck Knoblock disease. Maybe Arod should be moved to the outfield, that way he can get a better look at Jeters arss.

<< <i> The FA's, many of them older players, have suffered injuries en masse, and the rotation has been victim of some terrible signings (Wright, Pavano, Weaver, many others). The Yankee organization didn't really seem to plan for this, and now they have a young team on the field with several players coming from a mediocre at best farm system (some international players have been acquired through the Yankees spending their vast resources in foreign countries - these players can't be considered "homegrown" despite recent posts here to the contrary) >>

The Yankee staff on a whole has pitched better than the Red Sox. Spare us all the high and mighty analysis you seem to belch out once in a while Jerry. Also, UP YOURS with the crocodile tears regarding the home grown stuff. If your jealous little rear end does not want to count Wang as home grown then so be it. He cam up through the farm system Einstein. Oh and this image is for you Jerry!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    I would much rather have Mussina, Johnson and Wang , than Schilling, Beckett and Lester. Guess that Jared Wright, Pavano signings really worked out well for the Yankees. Now they can't even field the ball.

<< <i>
    The Yankee staff on a whole has pitched better than the Red Sox. Spare us all the high and mighty analysis you seem to belch out once in a while Jerry. Also, UP YOURS with the crocodile tears regarding the home grown stuff. If your jealous little rear end does not want to count Wang as home grown then so be it. He cam up through the farm system Einstein. Oh and this image is for you Jerry! >>

And yet nothing to contradict the accurate statements made about Arod.

Yankee fans are a pitiful lot.

If ya had a clue Ax, you would realize I have never been part of the A-Rod debate one way or the other. All I have done is recently point out his bush league play at 3rd base. Yankee haters are a pitiful cult.

<< <i> I am hardly an Arod fan, but while the team falls down around him, he essentially made the difference last year in making the playoffs or not for NY, >>

ummmm ...... no

PITCHING that the Yankees aquired from the scrap heap "essentially"was the difference last year Jerry .....

• and Giambi crushing the ball in the 2nd half last year helped too... It was no coincidence that ARods numbers picked up in the 2nd half as pitchers began to fear the Giambino...
    pitiful...the supposed "best player in the game"

I'd bench his ass and play Nick Green if I were Torre.

better yet..he should just turn in his pinstripes and go sit on a beach somewhere counting his money.
    Arod is a first ballot HOFer, case closed. You can boo him all you want, but there isn't a manager in baseball that wouldn't want him in his lineup every day. Only a Yankee fan could demand that the reigning MVP and a first ballot HOFer with 450 HRs and 2,000 hits by age 30 be benched! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I for one don't want him benched. That is crazy. I would like A-Rod to stop being a mental case though .... which he has become in NY.

Agreed, softparade. I think Arod's greatest weakness as a player is that he wants too badly to be liked. In an age where most players don't give a chit about the fans or their teammates, it's good to see. There's no doubt that Arod works hard and gives 100%, the other day he came to the ballpark hours early to work on his throwing, but unfortunately, the mental tic is very difficult to overcome (see Knoblauch, Wohlers, Sax, Rick Ankiel, etc.), especially if you're affected by the booing like Arod obviously is. But I believe Arod is far too talented to not get back on track, both at the plate and in the field.

at least Torre yanked him from third base....but he doesn't deserve to DH....taking ab's away from Giambi and Bernie is just wrong.

get rid of the bum..he sucks.
    will he wiff 3 or 4 times today?
    I'm sure all the opposing teams would love to have murcerfan making the decisions for the Yankees! At this stage in his career, Bernie isn't half the hitter Arod is, LOL! Fortunately for the Yankees, baseless envy and jealousy aren't justification for benching a player!

let's see...

so far Bernie has hit a home run...Nick Green made a clutch play at third.

....and A-rod ...another spectacular wiff with a man on base to end an inning...again.
    LOL, you must be kidding! Nick Green is hitting .151 this year! To prefer him over Arod is absolutely laughable and shows ZERO knowledge of baseball talent or skills. If you dislike someone for personal reasons, that's fine, but to attempt to present such biased opinion as truth is ridiculous.

blah, blah, blah.

wiff, wiff, wiff
    make that wiff, wiff, wiff, wiff

The first time since 1995 that A-Rod has earned the ol GOLDEN SOMBRERO

A-Rod has issues. Big ones. The clowns of this board who have no clue how miserable he has played all season can hop on the Hall of Fame soap box all they want. They don't know. They argue BLINDLY. THIS YEAR A-Rod has some major issues going on ..... his mental makeup is not major league at this moment ....

How in the hell can you say he has issues or can't handle the pressure of playing in NY....when he's already won an MVP PLAYING IN NY?

It's ridiculous...perhaps if every so-called 'fan' wasn't saying how much he 'sucks' and if the tabloids didn't want to run him out of town, perhaps he'd be more appreciated.

Send him somewhere where he'll be embraced if you 'fans' are done with him.
    THIS YEAR I said fool. This is why you qualify as a bonafide CLOWN Axtell. I said THIS YEAR. A-Rod has issues THIS YEAR.

Again, the CLOWNS of this board who no nothing of what they are debating are hoping on the Hall of Fame soap box of the PAST for A-ROd.

Apparantly, clowns can't read.

Alex Rodriguez is NOT ANYWHERE NEAR the player he has been his career. The same can be said about Randy Johnson. Yet the clowns have no problem bashing him image

RJ is old and broken down, Arod's in the prime of his career.

So Arod's having a bad year - I think all great players have had them, this is first bad year in what, a dozen years?

And you call yourself 'fans' for hounding him? No, you are just spoiled brats for hounding him.
    4 wiffs...5 runners LOB......prime stuff

can't hardly wait to see what he'll do next
    opps...my bad.

6 runners LOB