Home Sports Talk

The official DERAILED 2006 New York Yankees thread

Comments

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never said Unit never got booed >>

<< <i>Where are the boos for Randy Johnson? He's making nearly $20 million and has stunk it up this year, yet he gets no boos >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Where are the boos now Stown? You had to go back months to find an incident of booing...

When he's sporting a 4.88 ERA, why aren't fans calling for his head? Why aren't sportswriters crushing this guy like they do Arod?

It's easy - pure and simple jealousy. The 'fans' in NY can't fathom the best player in the league, perhaps all of baseball, wasn't a yankee all along, so they ostracize him. They have since he got there. Even last year as he was on his way to an MVP award, he was getting killed.

Stown, you sure do enjoy giving me a ration of crap about not posting about my team, when's the last time you even mentioned the asstros? You say I am filled with hate for the yankees, but all I see you post is hate towards me?

Hey topps,

why don't you collect yankee cards? I thought you were a fan?

Also, you said why you boo, but you don't say what your booing is supposed to do, other than make you look like a spoiled brat who isn't getting the toy you want.

Grow up and embrace Arod, instead of braying like a donkey when he has a bad stretch.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    First off, Randy Johnson has gotten ALOT of boos this year.

Second, Johnson is approaching 43 yrs old. He is well past his prime, and although he is a dissapointment, he is not expected to be the best pitcher or nearly what he once was.

Arod on the other hand is 30 years old and supposed to be in the prime of his career. That alone accounts for more expectations than Johnson. No way to spin that, no matter how hard you try.

He is also " projected " to make 30 errors this year. That, along with a very subpar offensive year by HIS standards, as well as having personality issues account for what he gets.

Now, back to D.J. Sorcerer smooth and his 24 hours of non stop SPINNING.....

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

I am still waiting for some yankee fan to explain what exactly they hope to accomplish by booing Arod.
    Its actually a NY wide conspiracy created by the Yankee fans just to drive you nuts Ax.

Now that we cleared that up, back to spinning....

-- Yogi Berra

<< <i>I never said Unit never got booed >>

<< <i>Where are the boos for Randy Johnson? He's making nearly $20 million and has stunk it up this year, yet he gets no boos >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    I asked a simple question of the resident 'fans' of the yankees here.

What do you hope to accomplish by booing Arod? I didn't say anything about a conspiracy, and I think my question is in simple enough English that everyone can understand it.

Please, tell me, how is your booing helping the situation?

It isnt meant to help anything, its meant to drive you nuts. I told you already and I will tell you again. Your impact upon the collective conscience of all NY'ers has resorted us to grouping together and booing Arod for the sole purpose of upsetting you.
    -- Yogi Berra

Upset me? heh good one.

At least I have the answer I was looking for: you yankee 'fans' are classless bozos who boo out of spite and jealousy, and yet have no idea why you boo.

I think its alot more a case of you have been given ample numbers of explanations over the past several weeks. At this point if none of them have absorbed into that rock sitting on your shoulders then its not about to penetrate now.
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>I think its alot more a case of you have been given ample numbers of explanations over the past several weeks. At this point if none of them have absorbed into that rock sitting on your shoulders then its not about to penetrate now. >>

You are confused as usual.

I know the perceived REASONS, I want to know what you hope booing him will accomplish?
    Here we go again. No matter what is said, no matter how many answers you are given you just wont accept it unless it is the answer you want to hear. Goodnight and sweet dreams. image
    -- Yogi Berra

But you have failed to answer a very simple and direct question. Instead of answering what you hope to accomplish, you continue to harp on why you boo.

WE GET IT. You think he should bat ..350 with 50 HRs and 150 RBI. Anything less and you boo.

But why? Please tell me what you hope to accomplish with your boos? Do you even know? Is that why you are so unable to answer this very direct question?

• << <i>But you have failed to answer a very simple and direct question. Instead of answering what you hope to accomplish, you continue to harp on why you boo.

WE GET IT. You think he should bat ..350 with 50 HRs and 150 RBI. Anything less and you boo.

But why? Please tell me what you hope to accomplish with your boos? Do you even know? Is that why you are so unable to answer this very direct question? >>

I am sure A-Rod can get a homer in every at-bat, and he still will not be "clutch" enough! BTW, it is only sarcasm, he should only be busting out 100 homers a year!!!

• << <i>I am still waiting for some yankee fan to explain what exactly they hope to accomplish by booing Arod. >>

I think it would be easier to ask what is the answer you specifically are looking for? Are you trying to bait someone into giving an answer you have a pre-loaded response for or do you truly not understand the nature of fans - true fans,casual fans,bandwagon fans, any fan.

To anyone who has ever actually been to a major league ballpark, who usually makes all the "noise", its usually the group of drunk guys either directly behind you or a few rows up. Are they true fans because they are making all the noise? I would never boo anyone on the team i was rooting for, thats not the way i do business, however i can see some peoples rational behind it. I'm a Yankees fan first and foremost, I live in Atlanta, when i go to the games when the Yankees are in town, i boo the braves, what do i accomplish other than pissing off the braves fans to the left and right of me? Nothing. Is it fun, heck ya, does it matter one bit in the big picture, not a dang bit.

In the grand scheme of things what does booing Arod accomplish? Nothing. How does booing someone who has accomplished more at that point in their life than you make you feel - to alot of people ...pretty good, maybe thats why they do it.

Let me go out on a limb here, I feel personally that most male baseball fans don't actually love the "game" of baseball, they just wish they were out there on the field being paid to play a childs game. Sometimes people can seperate their jealousy from not making it or doing it and cheer their teams on, some can't and boo. What sane male person would not want to be a major league ballplayer, there is really no better dream career (other than astronaut or president maybe).

The question I guess i'd like to ask Axtell is, As long as your a fan of Arod or any other player and he's your guy, what does it matter what anybody else thinks about that person? Does someone else's opinion of someone or something actually change your opinion of it? If it does maybe you weren't really true in your convictions or beliefs in that person/thing.

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one >>

and they all stink image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• << <i>

<< <i> Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one >>

and they all stink image >>

exactly
    and most true ones are well hidden from view
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Some fans boo a player when that player does not play up to his capabilities. (Arod)) thus they are showing displeasure.

some boo, when a player does not hustle. (heilmann)

some boo just for the sake of it. usually this boo is reserved for the opponent.

does that answer the question?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Some fans boo a player when that player does not play up to his capabilities. (Arod)) thus they are showing displeasure.

some boo, when a player does not hustle. (heilmann)

some boo just for the sake of it. usually this boo is reserved for the opponent.

does that answer the question?

Steve >>

Of course it does Steve. But this is Axtell we are talking about. No answer will be ok unless it fits his arguement 100%. This forum is unfortunatley his little home.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

I give up.

Look, I know why people boo, but what one hopes to accomplish by booing the home team is beyond me.

<< <i>I give up.

Look, I know why people boo, but what one hopes to accomplish by booing the home team is beyond me. >>

Hmmm, it seems that once again the resident voice of reason has spoken. I commend you on your neverending quest for reason in an unreasonable world. Here here image
    -- Yogi Berra

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Look, I know why people boo, but what one hopes to accomplish by booing the home team is beyond me.

heese i answered the question.....................ok, I'll spell it out for you.

A fan that boo's (in the arod case) wants to let him know that they are displeased with his performance. what they hope happens is that he will then perform up to his capabilities.

In the Heilmann case they hope he does not have a brain fart again.

in the case of the opponents it is for intimidation.

better?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I will boo Er-rod next week in hopes that it unlocks the real secrets of the universe..cause string theory is just a philosophy...and if the Er-rod gets heavy enough and small enough he mightl implode into a black hole before our eyes and we can than see how general relativity really works on the strong atomic force and electro-magnetism.
  • hey mr. quantum mechanics, where the hell you been?

• << <i>Hey topps,

why don't you collect yankee cards? I thought you were a fan?

Also, you said why you boo, but you don't say what your booing is supposed to do, other than make you look like a spoiled brat who isn't getting the toy you want.

Grow up and embrace Arod, instead of braying like a donkey when he has a bad stretch. >>

I do collect Yankee cards you twit. The majority of my collection is NY Yankees/NY Giants rookies and/or autos. Another topic you have no idea about. Why embrace someone who isn't playing up to their abilities? Most errors in the MLB at thirdbase.....Your mancrush.

"WE GET IT. You think he should bat ..350 with 50 HRs and 150 RBI. Anything less and you boo."

What, do you have mice in your pockets? If he even put up an AVERAGE year for himself he wouldn't get booed.

Keeping preaching on your soapbox about how Arod is the best player in the MLB. It's time for him to play like he is one of the best, because he hasn't been doing it for the most part this season.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Dude, he was getting booed last year en route to an MVP season, so don't give me this crap about his not performing up to his abilities being the cause of the boos.

He's never been accepted in NY, never will be, because his skillset dwarfs that of resident 'hero' Jeter - plain and simple.
  • Funny, Jete's #3 in the MLB in Batting average. Quite possibly(if the Yankees make the playoffs) on his way to MVP. Although there are some strong candidates this season, you can't discount a .347 BA, 20+SBs, 59 rbi, 4th in hits in the MLs, and top 10 in MLs in OBP. Not saying he'll win it, but if the Yankees make the playoffs he's got a great shot at it.

I won't say Jete is better than ARod, but he's done more for the Yankees than Arod did for the Mariners/Rangers/Yankees. No matter what you say, you can't dissprove that.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>
    I won't say Jete is better than ARod, but he's done more for the Yankees than Arod did for the Mariners/Rangers/Yankees. No matter what you say, you can't dissprove that. >>

And no matter what you say, you can't prove that statement either.

As far as Jeter, an MVP? I'd be surprised if he cracks the top 10.

• He's cracked the Top 10 in MVP voting 5 times in his 11 seasons already. Your rebuttal shows you don't know a thing. He's having a career year. So yes, I see him "cracking" the Top 10. Again, if the Yanks make it into the playoffs I see him as a legit MVP candidate. Oh Lemme see, Jeter has been a WS MVP. Has 4 rings. ARod...Yes a great player. Truely a once in a generation talent, I'd even go farther than that and say the ONLY guy to do what he's done.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Ax, its funny how the Mariners had a great run lately against the Yankees and Sox and yet you didnt spend any time talking about them. 100 % proof that you are nothing but a hater of teams and have no concept of what it is to be a fan. If you spent 1/10th of the time on here actually talking about a team you are a fan of instead of bashing the Yankees maybe you would get some respect. Instead it is just more proof of what a joke of a fan you are.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Bri-That's all he is, a hater. I mean, why if you loathe a team/area post 9 times out of 10 about them? Either a hater or a closet fan. I hear that in Cali there are a lot of guys in the closet....
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>He's cracked the Top 10 in MVP voting 5 times in his 11 seasons already. Your rebuttal shows you don't know a thing. He's having a career year. So yes, I see him "cracking" the Top 10. Again, if the Yanks make it into the playoffs I see him as a legit MVP candidate. Oh Lemme see, Jeter has been a WS MVP. Has 4 rings. ARod...Yes a great player. Truely a once in a generation talent, I'd even go farther than that and say the ONLY guy to do what he's done. >>

heh shows just how biased you are. He's the fortunate byproduct of being in the right place at the right time. You surely don't think that if Arod had started his career with the yankees, that he wouldn't have his rings, and Jeter would be ringless?

Look, Jeter's had a nice career, but a 'once in a generation' talent? Really? Based on what facts? Don't bring out the old 'clutch' hyperbole, that crap's been shown to be a figment of yankee fans' imaginations. Show me numbers, show me how he truly possesses once in a generation talent.

He's not even the best player on his team! Let alone a once in a generation talent - that title goes to Arod: youngest player to 450 career HRs, 2 MVPs...by the time he's done, he'll be approaching 800 HRs and who knows how many MVPs...while Jeter will sulk and say 'I was pretty good too ya know!'

A legit MVP candidate?

Here's who are 'legit' MVP candidates in the AL:

Vernon Wells
    David Ortiz
    Manny Ramirez
    Joe Mauer
    Jim Thome
    Roy Halladay
    Jermaine Dye
    Jonathon Papelbon
    Paul Konerko
    Francisco Liriano
    Jason Giambi

All of these guys are more valuable in my eyes than Jeter's high BA. Like I said, Jeter will be lucky to crack the top 10 this year.(Jeter's MVP finishes? 3, 6, 10, 10, 10. Arod? 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 9. You must be right though, Jeter's a better player).

<< <i>Ax, its funny how the Mariners had a great run lately against the Yankees and Sox and yet you didnt spend any time talking about them. 100 % proof that you are nothing but a hater of teams and have no concept of what it is to be a fan. If you spent 1/10th of the time on here actually talking about a team you are a fan of instead of bashing the Yankees maybe you would get some respect. Instead it is just more proof of what a joke of a fan you are. >>

hah well it's a hell of a lot more fun busting your chops and watching all the so-called 'fans' get up in arms when called for their BS - booing Arod for apparently no expected result. When asked point blank what the expected outcome is, there was no one with an answer, just the usual rhetoric of 'he should be producing!' and 'he's not playing up to his standards!' apparently unable to justify their booing the best player this game has seen in a long time.

And if you checked the blue jays thread, or the red sox ones, I posted my mariner comments in there...it was refreshing to have a back and forth banter with educated fans who respect the game - unlike the blind yankeeites in this one who can't see straight when someone dares to criticize the yankees.

We critize the Yankees more than anyone. You just cant accept that. And all I have read on other threads is you chiming in about how your team does when they beat someone else, pumping up your boy King felix, only to fall on deaf ears.

I guess an educated fan is one like yourself, who doesnt even know the basic rules of the game ? Or should we go back and find the thread where you dont even know who covers what base on certain throws ?
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>We critize the Yankees more than anyone. You just cant accept that. And all I have read on other threads is you chiming in about how your team does when they beat someone else, pumping up your boy King felix, only to fall on deaf ears.

I guess an educated fan is one like yourself, who doesnt even know the basic rules of the game ? Or should we go back and find the thread where you dont even know who covers what base on certain throws ? >>

You criticize Arod more than anyone...you got that one right. Your hate for him is undeniable. Why you hate him so is the big question. Why you don't hate players like Sheffield and Giambi, admitted cheaters who should be thrown out of the game, is beyond me. Why you don't boo Randy Johnson, for earning $18 million and having a near 5 ERA is beyond me. Why you don't want Steinbrenner to retire and leave the team to an owner who will let his employee make better decisions, is beyond me.

Yankee fans are a spoiled breed - and it will be an amazing sight to see where they will place the blame when the miss the playoffs this year.
    During the course of the season I have ripped Arod, Giambi, Johnson, Sheffield, Farnsworth, and the management. You know I have, but once again you feel the undying urge to lie. Nobody on these boards has ripped RJ more than me, I have called him old, washed up, cranky, a dead beat father, and other stuff too. Nobody on here has bashed Giambi and Sheffield more than me for being cheaters. I have repeatedly said I cant wait for them to be gone. You know I have said it Ax, so why deny it and lie about it ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• "Look, Jeter's had a nice career, but a 'once in a generation' talent? Really? Based on what facts? Don't bring out the old 'clutch' hyperbole, that crap's been shown to be a figment of yankee fans' imaginations. Show me numbers, show me how he truly possesses once in a generation talent."

Reread my last post, I was referring to ARod as a once in a generation player.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

• << <i>He's cracked the Top 10 in MVP voting 5 times in his 11 seasons already. Your rebuttal shows you don't know a thing. He's having a career year. So yes, I see him "cracking" the Top 10. Again, if the Yanks make it into the playoffs I see him as a legit MVP candidate. Oh Lemme see, Jeter has been a WS MVP. Has 4 rings. ARod...Yes a great player. Truely a once in a generation talent, I'd even go farther than that and say the ONLY guy to do what he's done. >>

Ummm...yeah. Go ahead and continue with your tired tirade but I was actually saying Arod is a once in a generation player.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>

<< <i>He's cracked the Top 10 in MVP voting 5 times in his 11 seasons already. Your rebuttal shows you don't know a thing. He's having a career year. So yes, I see him "cracking" the Top 10. Again, if the Yanks make it into the playoffs I see him as a legit MVP candidate. Oh Lemme see, Jeter has been a WS MVP. Has 4 rings. ARod...Yes a great player. Truely a once in a generation talent, I'd even go farther than that and say the ONLY guy to do what he's done. >>

Ummm...yeah. Go ahead and continue with your tired tirade but I was actually saying Arod is a once in a generation player. >>

My mistake...apologies for the misread.

<< <i>During the course of the season I have ripped Arod, Giambi, Johnson, Sheffield, Farnsworth, and the management. You know I have, but once again you feel the undying urge to lie. Nobody on these boards has ripped RJ more than me, I have called him old, washed up, cranky, a dead beat father, and other stuff too. Nobody on here has bashed Giambi and Sheffield more than me for being cheaters. I have repeatedly said I cant wait for them to be gone. You know I have said it Ax, so why deny it and lie about it ? >>

bri, Ax waits for the lies he spews to sink a page or two in all threads before he changes his thoughts AND will always bombasticly point fingers at others for saying things that they never do say ..... and Ax knows it ...... he also knows that 98% of these thread readers WILL NOT go back and research anything. Check it out bri, he does this all the time.

Yeah I know it Dan. Just like in the other post where he claimed that MANY people have said his insight into sports was golden. I have been asking him to tell me one person who said it and he ran and hid, came back, changed the subject doing his spinning wheel impersonation, then ran again.

Doesnt matter what topic is discussed .He will lie, spin, dissapear, and change the subject when he is called out or proven wrong. You make a point to beat him on a topic, he just does a 180 and talks about something else.
    -- Yogi Berra

• SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Someone should ask Axtell about his recent Letter to the Editor in the Modesto Bee.

<< <i>Someone should ask Axtell about his recent Letter to the Editor in the Modesto Bee. >>

Oh, are you talking about the Brokeback one titled "Give gays right to wed"?

• SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone should ask Axtell about his recent Letter to the Editor in the Modesto Bee. >>

Oh, are you talking about the Brokeback one titled "Give gays right to wed"?

image >>

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I have several gay friends of both sexes. No "lipstick lesbos" unfortunately.

However, once again the world is chastised by the writer in his asking "Are you seeing how ridiculous this exercise becomes?" as if we are all to learn from this fountain of ideologic and philosophic knowledge and suddenly come to our senses.

The right to speech is a given.

The right to be condescending is not. For those in Modesto, that means "to deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner."

Wow, your life must be truly a sinkhole if you are keeping tabs on my writing letters to the editor of my paper. Really, you're keeping tabs on my letter writing activities? Are you that miserable in your lives that you are researching what I do outside the CU forums? I think it's time for a new hobby if that's the case.

Yes, I wrote to the editor...have you dopes ever done that? Ever taken a stand? Have something you believe in? Or are you too busy yanking it here on the CU boards that you can't do anything worthwhile?

If you read the letter in its entirety, and not just one sentence, you'd have known it was in response to a closed-minded homophobe who said that the only people who should be allowed to marry are those able to reproduce without outside help. I then posed the question: what about infertile couples? what about couples who choose not to have kids?

But nooooo, you all would rather run with one line instead of taking the entire letter in context.

Hey stownie, are you saying then you're against gay marriage? Are you against giving approximately 5-10% of the population this basic human right? Are you a homophobe?

Why are you attempting to derail this thread, Tinkerbell?

Speaking of Brokeback, last night A-Rod kissed a man and went hitless.

<< <i>Why are you attempting to derail this thread, Tinkerbell?

Speaking of Brokeback, last night A-Rod kissed a man and went hitless. >>

Hey, MORON, you and SoFL are the ones detailing my letter writing.

Are you a homophobe? I think so, from your countless 'brokeback mountain' references....
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    golden insight = pissing all over himself

<< <i>golden insight = pissing all over himself >>

something I am sure you know alllll about murcer.