Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's a preview of a few tough 8's that I listed tonight including #787 for you Arny.

link to auctions

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Pardon me for not being specific. I have an 8 and wanted to upgrade it. I thought the card I submitted was a lock for a 9 but it came back last week an 8. More disappointments than pleasant surprises as usual.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Think I've got a shot at an 8?

>>

Yes....but there is something about the top left hand corner I do not like. >>

I was just happy to find one that wasn't completely OC. I'll post a better scan when I get the card. I'll be happy with a 7, I haven't seen one in a long time.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Thanks for the link jmoran....I've outbid our friend Bill for a moment. I fully expect him to push the price out of 'reasonable' range, so you should have a nice hammer on that one at least.

I finally won a Mickey Stanley PSA 8 (Thanks Dave)! Sheesh....I'm glad that I can cross that sucker off of my list. There's another one that was just listed yesterday, I believe. So, someone should be able to get a nice price for that one! image

Here's my updated want/need list.....

#40 - Bob Barton IA
    #150 - Norm Cash (Have a PSA 7)
    #228 - WS Game 6 (Have a PSA 7)
    #230 - World Series (Have a PSA 7)
    #292 - Hal McRae IA
    #296 - Dick Dietz IA
    #377 - Terry Harmon
    #532 - Fred Kendall (Have a PSA 9oc)
    #533 - Ralph Houk
    #582 - Montreal Expos Team Card (Have a PSA 7)
    #666 - Hector Torres (Have a PSA 7)
    #670 - Ken Holtzman (Have a PSA 7)
    #708 - Tim Foli IA
    #720 - Sam McDowell
    #723 - Al Santorini
    #734 - Bob Burda
    #787 - Ron Reed

.....so, if anyone has any to help me...send me a PM or post here! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i> I fully expect him to push the price out of 'reasonable' range, so you should have a nice hammer on that one at least.

<< <i>

Soooooooo many cards have been going unreasonable prices . I stayed away from some of them because I simply refused to pay more for 8's than I had previously paid for 9's or pay more for 8's than what 9's sold for.

I thought the Aaron IA went for a good price considering, that with a card like that the appeal is greater for a larger group. I got a Dunning for waay less than I expected but paid 2x what I hoped for a Harrelson BH.

Having said all that, the current market is very tough to predict.

Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The last few Aaron IA , over the last 6 months, have gone for $190- $225. .......although BNovick caught us napping about a month ago and got one for about $155.

I am glad I finally got one, although this was at the high end of my price range and was won with only $.50 to spare.

OH well......................6 cards to go........
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what is the trick to attach pics to a message still trying to learn basic & fortran stuck in the 80's >>

You have a PM
  • Options

<< <i>although BNovick caught us napping about a month ago and got one for about $155.

...and was won with only $.50 to spare.

OH well......................6 cards to go........ >>

This would explain why he bid just under 150 for this one?

50 cents !!! AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHH ! Normally I wouldn't bid against a guy so close to the finish line, but I thought I may be able to "steal" the Aaron.

The Kranepool IA is somewhat of an enigma, it has always been a tough 9 but I can't recall 8's being that tough.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Grades are finally done for the cards I sent in because of this thread. I knew the Henderson was borderline 7/8, thought I might get lucky

1 063xxx 1972 TOPPS 322 JOSE PENA N/A 8
    2 063xxx 1972 TOPPS 385 MICKEY STANLEY N/A 8
    3 063xxx 1972 TOPPS 443 KEN HENDERSON N/A 7

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Just got a PSA 9 #635 in the mail from 4SC today. I'll post a scan later tonight, but I can see rounding on two corners without any magnification. Anyone who thinks PSA grades the same for everyone is dead wrong.
  • Options
    Another Stanley....
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    Someone for God's sake please come up w #93, #292, or #673 in PSA 9 or better...submit away folks, I am desperate at this point, want to finish this set off...going back to focusing on collecting RCs in 9, just bought a 49 Bowman Paige in a 9 which Ive been looking for in awhile. I might be tempted to try either the 71 or 75 set at some point, but need a breather.

EO
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    EO.............Just got my grades back from Psa on the June $5.00 / card special , and sadly , the '72 card #93 came back a Psa 8 !!!! Thought it had a chance for a 9 , but if I remember correctly , one side of the card had a rough cut , but was perfectly centered with nice gloss and sharp corners ! Must have penalized me for that , along with the rest of my submission ! Really harsh on the '71 Topps baseball - Two 8's and eight 7's ............Hope someone comes up with the cards you need in 9 soon ! Good Luck ! Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    I am done to needing 5 cards now ( plus one upgrade) as I picked up a Ray Newman card last night:

# 182 Ed Kranepool IA
    # 230 World Series
    # 296 Dick Dietz IA
    # 312 Clay Carroll IA
    # 518 Wayne Garrett
    # 582 Expos Team

Hey Joe Maggio,

I saw in the "how old was the gum thread" that you said you had a piece of 72 gum in front of you. Does this mean you opened a pack of 72s??? ............and you did not let us know???? image

If I ever open my two 72 packs ....y'all would be the first to know........good bad or indifferent..

• Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    A bunch of 1972 cards are on ebay. Some are ending tonight. I will be adding about 40 more by Thursday
    Also 1960 and 1961 Fleer cards.
    Ebay Listings
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    So 72 ers should I open my 4th series wax box?
  • Options
    Gaspipe,

How do you know it is fourth series?.................does this mean you get cards from the 1st thru the 4th series?....4th series goes to about #500 or so??

In general, now is a good time to be selling 72 Topps in PSA 9 OR BETTER....plus any low pop PSA 8.....as the prices for these are through the roof.
    Prices for other PSA 8s including low profile HOFers are iffy. ( IMHO)

• Options
    It says 4th series on the box. Card #'s 395 to #525 I believe. Real nice crisp box. I may send it off to get graded.
  • Options
    The entire box or just the packs ?

Like Jami said tough 8's and 9's seem to be hot. I've been picking off random 8's for a song and if Bill doesn't need them some of tough 8's are soft. 60 bucks for a Harmon in 8 , 80 bucks for a Houk , under 35 for a Dunning .
  • Options
    Both, box and packs I guess, Ive never had unopened graded before. I looked at one of the packs and it had a Boyhood card on the back, coundnt tell which one but a boyhood card.
  • Options

<< <i>Does this mean you opened a pack of 72s??? ............and you did not let us know???? image >>

I did let everyone know. I bought it from Angelsshoppingaddiction on eBay and it was a searched/resealed pack. His feedback is taking a hit, but idiots still keep buying his searched packs. Another eBayer told me that the seller's name is Andrew Boyer and that he was formerly "boyerendeavors" on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>So 72 ers should I open my 4th series wax box? >>

Oh, no... you should sell them to us real cheap! Or at fair market value!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does this mean you opened a pack of 72s??? ............and you did not let us know???? image >>

I did let everyone know. I bought it from Angelsshoppingaddiction on eBay and it was a searched/resealed pack. His feedback is taking a hit, but idiots still keep buying his searched packs. Another eBayer told me that the seller's name is Andrew Boyer and that he was formerly "boyerendeavors" on eBay. >>

Ah yes...it is all coming back now.........the gum probably was not 34 years old though.

• Options
    OUCH! just got my invoice from, (made_the_grade) 28.00 S/H for 11 slabed cards, last bussiness I
    do there. Told me price break on shipping if I bought 10 or more cards, did'nt say how much of a price break.

Well just for an update made the grade would not return my e-mail after i politely told him shipping was high. I went ahead and paid. Received cards Priorty mail $4.05 postage 23.95 handing poorly packed . This is Just FYI. Have decided no positive or negitive feedback, maybe nuetral. Oh well just figured I'd give everybody an update.

IT'S BUD Time. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So 72 ers should I open my 4th series wax box? >>

Oh, no... you should sell them to us real cheap! Or at fair market value!image >>

Yes open the packs and then sell us the raw mint & centered for 80% of Beckett I'll Take #496 at 100% Of book HEH HEH
    Seriously get the Packs or the whole box graded . Sometimes alot of disapointment opening packs and finding all the cards centered 80/20. Just MOO
  • Options

<< <i>OUCH! just got my invoice from, (made_the_grade) 28.00 S/H for 11 slabed cards, last bussiness I
    do there. Told me price break on shipping if I bought 10 or more cards, did'nt say how much of a price break.

Well just for an update made the grade would not return my e-mail after i politely told him shipping was high. I went ahead and paid. Received cards Priorty mail $4.05 postage 23.95 handing poorly packed . This is Just FYI. Have decided no positive or negitive feedback, maybe nuetral. Oh well just figured I'd give everybody an update.

IT'S BUD Time. image >>

I hope you do leave this guy nuetral ( or better yet negative) feedback. He needs a lesson in EBAY ethics. You did not get these commons cheap ( $9.99 each I do believe.).................so he didn't need to gouge you on S/H.....................by the way he isn't yet into giving feedback. He has only giving two feedbacks to date.

• Options
    Joe,
    I didnt open any packs but Im really tempted too. I knew I had this box , and after talking to you I went looking for 72's , didnt find any but the box.
  • Options
    I look at unopened packs like lottery tickets... and I am sucker for those. I'll open every pack I can get my hands on. Coming from Bob, I'd know they hadn't been opened before.
  • Options
    I...........

• Options

<< <i>I added a Ryan PSA 9 to my set today...............I thought I had gotten screwed..........I was the third highest bidder on this card and got a second chance offer on the card..............I explained my doubts to the seller about the offer and made him a counter offer for the card which he accepted..............I paid and he pissed and moaned about givng me a delivery confirmation number on the card.........he did give me a phone number and i even spoke to him on the phone............the last i spoke to him he was sending it tomorrow...(this was last week).........he never sent me a delivery confirmation number...the card was supposed to be shipped insured.........................In the mean time he got NARU'ed from EBAY........he was shilling his bids.......

..but the card arrived today....................no insurance......no delivery confirmation..................if i wanted to i could make a claim with PAYPAL............................this is the only proof I got the card..............and I can erase this post.....

I have done almost 3000 EBAY transactions........... >>

But what if some idiot quotes you like this... you couldn't erase that post, could ya?image
  • Options
    Who was the seller?
  • Options

<< <i>

But what if some idiot quotes you like this... you couldn't erase that post, could ya?image >>

Thanks Joe.....image

• Options
    Joe, you need that Henderson or just dropping a low bid in case no one else bids on it?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Joe needs that Henderson for his set...........

• Options
    Cool....I'm stayin' away.... image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    At the risk of a lengthy jail sentence, do I dare say I will stay away from the Henderson too ?

I really wanted the one that was up for auction last week , somehow this one lacks the same appeal.....
  • Options
    I'm going to have all of you busted for so many things that I haven't even thought of them all yet. This is a threat to national security. The N. Koreans have nothing on this bunch of thugs. lowstartmick, you'll never see the light od day OR another PSA slab. You will receive a box of PRO graded cards on visiting days. :-)
  • Options
    Thanks !! PRO cards have a deal of value in the joint, the sturdy plastic holder could be sharpened to make a lethal shank.
  • Options
    You will not be with the general population. Solitary is the only place the rest of the inmates will be safe from the likes of you!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to have all of you busted for so many things that I haven't even thought of them all yet. This is a threat to national security. The N. Koreans have nothing on this bunch of thugs. lowstartmick, you'll never see the light od day OR another PSA slab. You will receive a box of PRO graded cards on visiting days. :-) >>

Will this be a federal pen or one of the new co-ed pens, everybody should have fun even the inmates? PLS ADV inmate #Icu711 1/1.
  • Options
    The pen in "Face Off" will seem like a country club in comparison. I can't even imagine the corrupting influence this group would have on killers, rapists and the like. I shudder to think of the monsters created by blending the two elements. It may even be the end of western civilization as we know if let loose on society.
  • Options
    Is anyone who posts here, "bjuice" on ebay? Seems like everytime I find nice raw '72s "bjuice" right there too. Just wonrdering if he might be a registry member.
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone who posts here, "bjuice" on ebay? Seems like everytime I find nice raw '72s "bjuice" right there too. Just wonrdering if he might be a registry member. >>

The name is not familiar.

• Options
    I was checking out a on-line store that had some raw cards. This website claims these variations which I had never heard of before:

Checklist card # 378

Computer '*' (asterick) version
    Hand drawn '*' (asterick) version

Rich McKinney #619

Blue line in top border variation
    No blue line in top border variation

Anyone hear of these variations?

The website had both variations of both cards for sale.........My PSA 9 #378 card appears to have a computer astericks....so I ordered the "hand drawn" version.

My PSA McKinney has the blue line......so i ordered the variation without the blue line.

Check out your cards and let us know which variation you have> (if these variations actually exist)

Jami

• Options
    My 378 has a computer "Asterisk" but it has 5 points (like a star). My 619 has the blue line.
  • Options
    Interesting variation , my graded 378 has hand drawn. I have to dig out a raw Mckinney and take a look.
  • Options

Notice the small blue line in the top border above the two "E's in yankees.

• Options
    The Mckinney would probably qualify as a print defect over a true variation and hardly in the same vein as a the print defect on a 58 Herrer or Herrera.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mckinney would probably qualify as a print defect over a true variation and hardly in the same vein as a the print defect on a 58 Herrer or Herrera. >>

Yes ..............but the print defect is in the same exact spot on every card.......

• Options
    Yep. just like the white spot over the IB in Russ Gibson #643 , some have 'em some don't.

I never thought of it before but there is no Master Set for the '72 's , the green under/over letters and the copyright on the checklists. I think I'll request it , I believe the variations are all weighed the same ?