Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options

<< <i>thats awesome...your dad owned those?? >>

Lothar...The 56's he did. He had stuff from '52 to '56 with complete '54B, '54T, and most of a '55t and '56T set. Over time, I'm sending stuff in for grading and upgrading where needed. He took a lot better care of his boyhood cards than I did. Centering is the biggest issue as far as condition goes. I'm still nervous about sending in the Aaron Rookie, Mantles, and other big cards.

The '57's are from those I've picked up on my own over time. I am half-seriously and ever so slowly working on a '57 set...

-Todd-
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That Curt Simmons card is great. I love the way the '57s show the old ballparks in color.

I just looked up Simmons' stats, he had some nice years with the Phils. He won his first game at age 18 pitching a complete game in 1947. His highest win total was 18 at age 35 ptiching for the Cards in '64. Interesting career.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charlie
    Nice Cards team card! One of the best I've seen.

The Curt card is nice too. Superb vintage sub.

Congratulations!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Picked this one up recently off ebay. Rare instance of a seller undergrading a raw card (advertised as EXMT). These scans were on his listing. When I received the card, I examined closely and believe it's an 8. We'll see if PSA agrees as I expect the grade to pop any day now.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    It's been a bit slow for me, lately. I did just get this in the mail. One of my favorite Mays cards (along with the 1958 and 1960 All-Stars)

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options

This card's been getting lots of attention in another thread!!! image
  • Options
    jmbkb4
    Did you buy the Piazza or are you a long time owner happy to see the ebay sale?

Kurtman-
    That is a nice Jackson. Nice find. I wonder how Jackson hit 17 triples in 114 games in the Southern League in 1967.
  • Options

<< <i>Kurtman-
    That is a nice Jackson. Nice find. I wonder how Jackson hit 17 triples in 114 games in the Southern League in 1967. >>

Thanks tkd. Got the grade on that one today and indeed came back an 8 image
    You're right, that is a ton of triples in 114 games. Must have been those young wheels he had back in '67.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Congratulations on the grade. Little Jackson anecdote. I went to old timers day at Yankee Stadium this year. The old timers game was rained out before Reggie got to take his swings, but he was still practicing his stroke while playing right field. Reggie really loves the game.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on the grade. Little Jackson anecdote. I went to old timers day at Yankee Stadium this year. The old timers game was rained out before Reggie got to take his swings, but he was still practicing his stroke while playing right field. Reggie really loves the game. >>

Indeed. I'll never forget that monster shot he hit in an AllStar game, can't remember what year but it was a tape-measure job for sure. What power he had!
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple more for the set:

imageimage

Stingray
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Been away from home for awhile.. Nice stuff guys!
  • Options
    Received my recent submission, so i'll jump in. Hope no one minds they are from the other side of the street, personal preference for PC stuff....

Happy for the most part, but think the Killer could have been a bit higher even though its OC and the Brroksie's I thought would be 6's easy, live and learn..enjoy the scans...
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    Chip
    That Alcindor card is off the chart!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice stuff 70chip. That Killebrew looks sweet could have been an 8 with better centering, corners are nice.

Stingray
  • Options
    70chip-
    I love the Art Donovan. That card design always makes me laugh, simple but the poses are a bit corny.

Stingray-
    Looks like you are making good progress on your set. Have you been picking up the commons also?

I'm disappointed I don't have anything to post. I feel like I would cheat if I posted stuff I already have.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Killer Chip,.... I've always loved that set design. Nice submission!!!
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me an idiot proof way how to post pics here? I've got some neat stuff to show off but can't seem to get it right.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I host a lot of mine through imageshack. Once you select your image and click "host it!" a thumbnail of your image will appear on the next page along with a dazzling array of copyable links and HTML codes. Go down to the one that says "Direct link to image," copy that URL and bring it over to this site. Here, above the box in which you enter your message text, you'll see a little picture icon. Click on it, and you'll be prompted for a URL. Paste in the URL you copied from imageshack, hit OK and you should be good to go.

See. Like this:

Just arrived today and hot off the scanner bed. I love this card!

(typo edited)
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    are you collecting the e92 set?
  • Options
    I'm slowwwwwwwwly working on the Dockmans. I think the Magee gives me a whopping 6. I'd like to add some Nadjas too at some point just because of the St. Louis connection.
  • Options
    Question on the Dockmans card, how did that not get a MC qualifier? The bottom of the card is slanted, but the rest is square?? Just curious.

Stingray
  • Options
    I guess because irregular cuts aren't all that uncommon with T and E cards. I guess some do get rejected as N-8 miscuts, but I think an MC qualifier is more for cards that are terribly off center as opposed to cards that deviate wildly from the standard rectangle shape. Ultimately, it probably comes down to the whim of the grader. For example, only one of the cards pictured below has an MC qualifier.

I don't know if the whole MC/N-8 issue as as mystifying as PSA's all-over-the-place treatment of paper loss/scuffing, but there does not seem to be a definitive guiding standard. The Leach, by the way, is a 3 while the Ferris is a 4MC. Doesn't matter much to me since weird cuts kinda add to the charm of these cards.
  • Options
    Purchased this one today:

sorry so small!

Stingray
  • Options
    70chip - great cards! Glad to see I'm not the only "green label" guy on the block here.

• Options
    A couple of my first Pre-1930 submissions. Just received back a couple of weeks ago courtesy of Steve.
    L to R. 4-5-5.

• Options
    Great stuff, Ben. I almost scanned them myself when they arrived back from PSA since they're so cool. Glad you posted them.

I got a T206 Vic Willis (STL-Throwing) in the mail today that I'll have to scan later if I still have the energy.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Yawie for telling me how to post a pic. Now I need to figure out how to make the picture nice and big.
  • Options
    I've tried imageshack 4 times now and it seems like the photo is loading forever but never gets done........is there another way?
  • Options
    yawie and ben-
    nice to see the vintage stuff again. i've got a T206 Phillippe with a Tolstoi back to send in for grading. I'm sure it will be a 1, but it presents well with no creases, just some excessive corner wear.

keep it coming.
    Tom
  • Options
    ok, I think I got it now. This is a raw 54 that I spotted at my local shop. He normally sells mostly newer stuff but I thought it was worth $6....mostly just showing this one as a test.

• Options
    It's a lot of trial and error at finding the right combination of resolution and image size. I usually scan at 200 dpi, then resize my images down to a height of 450-500 pixels. Or at least that's what I do with my close-cropped Registry pics since saving them at 90-95 percent JPEG compression will usually get me below the 100 KB max.

Imageshack doesn't have such a maximum file size (or maybe it has a huge max like 1,024 KB). If I'm scanning something in a slab, I'll usually keep dpi at 200, but resize the image to a height of 750 and save at 95 percent compression. That usually gives me a file between 160-200 KB's.

Oh yeah, I have an HP scanjet 3500c, but I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9.0 to edit my scans since I'm not real crazy about the HP software.

(typo edited)
  • Options
    Here's the Willis I mentioned:

Unfortunately, the color looks a little more washed out in real life, so I might keep my eyes open for a bolder one, but I still like the fact it's a Cardinal HoFer with one of my favorite backs.

Also - and I apologize for changing the spirit of the this epic thread - I have an extra T206 Liebhardt if anybody's interested. I'd personally rather trade than sell. PM or e-mail me.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dang Steve Yawie you are on some type of roll! very nice examples.

My latest arrived today, not as great as those above but to me very inportant. With it I am finally up to date on a Fireman of the Year set that i have collected. Courtesy of a board member who saw my crie on threads.

Thanks Zef

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    A few that arrived today . . . Most from '70's special.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    bob gibson card is sweet. he sure looks nice in that picture, i dont think tim mccarver would say he smiled like that very often when he caught him...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    NewJerseyMeatHook,

Very nice Cliff Harris ! !

I collect graded Cowboy cards ( concentrate on the 70's in PSA 9 -10 )

Im not sure if that stays in your collection or not , but if you plan on selling shoot me a pm with a price.

I actually picked a 78 this afternoon 78

Dave
  • Options
    That Gibson sure look like a 9, that is a nice card, nice grades on the other Meathook.

Stingray
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my latest arrival!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Just back from PSA, all 1/1's...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    where did you get the venezuelans? those babies are tough to get at that high a grade
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    My gem from GEM in the only holder that matters: PSA.
  • Options
    Very nice Yount - if ya don't mind - what did it go for in the gem holder?

Super Veni cards in 8!!! Ya don't see that very often here.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lol couldnt they have found a better pic of terry bradshaw?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    halosfan, that sugar ray is awesome!..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    64 Topps Giant Vada Pinson

I know it does'nt mean a lot to many. But this is the last card I needed to finish the 64 Giant set autographed. I actually paid the $7.50 through PSA to get it verified & it came back genuine & it definitely matches up to other auto's I have seen. Some of u may have remembered I won an auction through Heritage with many of the stars & deceased including the Clemente & Mantle. Frame is getting done as we speak & hope to have it all finished within a few weeks. Naked wall is waiting for it!! Woo hoo!!! All 60 baby!!

Mike, if u could be so kind to post a pic of the Pinson for me with the Heritage pic u did a few weeks ago. I am still an invalid when it comes to those things. Thanks a million!!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice Yount - if ya don't mind - what did it go for in the gem holder?

Super Veni cards in 8!!! Ya don't see that very often here.

mike >>

It was graded GEM 8. I think I paid $11 plus shipping for it. I bought it as filler and when I received it the thing looked too dang good. So I cracked the case and examined the edges. Looked legit, so I sent it in hoping it was...

And what do you know?
  • Options
    here you go splinter

beautiful card!
  • Options
    Getting the hang of this now...76 Topps Maximino Leon SGC 96

68 Topps Tim Cullen SGC 96