Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

I'm having a great time searchin' all over eBay and other sites to pick up cards (mostly commons) for my 1972 Baseball Set!

In just one month's time, I've moved into the Top 25 and with an acquisition that is close to being completed, I could end up in the top 20 before next week is up!

Thanks to everyone that has offered me '72s at great prices and helped me reach my year-end goal A LOT faster than anticipated. Now, my next goal is to be at 50% of the set by end of July!

By the way, if anyone has dups or have upgraded their sets, please let me know because I would be interested in any cards that I might need.

My 1972 Topps Baseball Set!
* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
* PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! Fantastic beginning on a great set. I am a big fan of '72 in all 4 sports - great colors and era-specific design. Good luck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    I am looking to buy a group of PSA 9-1972 Topps at the same time if anyone has a group to sell Me?

Cardknowledge@earthlink.net
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am looking to buy a group of PSA 9-1972 Topps at the same time if anyone has a group to sell Me?

Cardknowledge@earthlink.net >>

THIS SET has just been retired by its owner. He is in the process of selling it off. As you will see it is about 65% PSA 9. I am sure you can work something out with Dave. (His email is listed with the set)
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

HEY ARNY,

Congrats!!!........keep up the good work cause.....................ITS A BIG FRIGGIN SET!!!

Jami

• marzmarz Posts: 1,601

<< <i>

<< <i>I am looking to buy a group of PSA 9-1972 Topps at the same time if anyone has a group to sell Me?

Cardknowledge@earthlink.net >>

THIS SET has just been retired by its owner. He is in the process of selling it off. As you will see it is about 65% PSA 9. I am sure you can work something out with Dave. (His email is listed with the set) >>

Thanks a bunch~ just wrote him!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Arny,

image Very nice start. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Yup, quite a climb I've got ahead of me! LOL

LostDart, I'm working with Dave on some of those PSA 8s that he has as well as a few other irons in the fire. Let's see if I can get to your level at some point!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I have risen to #21 on the 72 set registry since June of this year. I am willing to buy any 8s available that fit into my set. Send me a PM or email me at Barkusd@gtlaw.com if you have 72s available.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
    Wow, congrats Barkus....and this from someone who was lookin' to get out of the '72 gang. LOL

Keep on movin'....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I have been simultaneously pursuing a number of sets. The price of 72s seems to be unreasonably depressed at the moment so no point to selling now. At current market prices I am a strong buyer.

<< <i> The price of 72s seems to be unreasonably depressed at the moment so no point to selling now. At current market prices I am a strong buyer. >>

I have noticed a drop in prices even in just the 7 months that I have been putting the set together.

Mind you it was a fluke, but last night on the bay I picked up a PSA 9 for $5.00!!!

Wow, you're lucky that Barkus and I weren't on the bay last night! LOL
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow, you're lucky that Barkus and I weren't on the bay last night! LOL >>

A lot of people weren't. I picked up a 1961 All-Star in PSA 8 for $46 that had only 3 bids.
    LostDart, I saw that 9 this morning. Nice jouyersb. I picked up a few high number 1960 PSA 8s last night for nice prices as well. This has been a slow period for b.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I hope it's just the holiday weekend and that next weekend, all of the buyers will be in full force, esp. on my auctions <---- hint image
    Arny,

Seems you have been unceremoniously dumped back to #26 again. There is a new set registry member who has debuted in 18th place (Derek's 72 set). His set consists of all the cards from #600 - 787 and nothing else. (right now)

I know for a fact that he got his cards from Dave Read.

Oh well.................

Jami

I just picked up another 61 cards from Dave this morning. Can't wait to receive and add them to my set.
    I've got a few comin' from Dave as well image

We'll see about that #25 spot! Heck, we might see even more than that #25 spot when I get 'em. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I like the 'new generation' of 1972 collectors though! We are a competitive little bunch! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I have been following EBAY for 1972 PSA cards on a daily basis for 8 months. As of this minute there are 158 items listed. This is the least I have EVER seen..................Most of the time there are between 200 and 350 items listed.

• << <i>I have been following EBAY for 1972 PSA cards on a daily basis for 8 months. As of this minute there are 158 items listed. This is the least I have EVER seen..................Most of the time there are between 200 and 350 items listed. >>

you should put that in the "You know you're a hardcore collector when ..." thread image

i'm the same way, 111 PSA '65s on ebay, 0 that i need...

Brian
    Picked up another 20+ 72s today including some of the 25 toughest cards. Arny, one of these days you will have to start buying the low pops!
    I know, I know......it's just that I'm working on a bit of a limited budget and I'm working on getting all the rest of the low hangin' fruit right now. More bang for my buck. But, I'll get some of those low pops and a few more star cards mixed in. I've only picked up the few star cards that I have because I've gotten tremendous deals on 'em.

I should be getting my lot from Dave either today or tomorrow, I'm hoping. Should give me a bit of a lift in the 'ranks'. We'll see.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    When I first started putting this set together in December the cards came fast and furious and cheap.

I rarely paid more then $6.00 for any common and was able to save on S/H by buying lots and winning multiple items from EBAY sellers. With the "STAR" cards I waited until I got a good price. Patience and perseverance paid off and with one or two exceptions I got the "STAR cards at I feel good prices. ($107 for the Ryan card!!!) I am still perservering for the Rose, both Bench's and both Aaron, the last of the high end cards i still need.

When I reached about the 75% level on my set I realized that most of the commons I needed were the "Low Pop" cards. Cards with populations of under 30 at the PSA 8 or above level. I have been able to pick up a bunch of these cards from the liquidations of jimmywalnuts and Dave Read. ......The price though has been high. The most recent 40 commons (all PSA8s) I have acquiered have cost me about $1100 (almost $30 a pop).......The funny thing is I know I got good deals on most of the cards.......

.....I still need 123 more cards..........I hope they don't all cost me $30 a pop.......

...Oh well its only money...................................image

Woo hoo! With the recent "Dave Read" buy that I made, I've moved into the Top 20 current sets!

I know that once Barkus updates his, he'll probably leap frog me, but for now.....I'm #19!! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Arny,

Congrats you made the first page!!!

Thanks for the bids on my items..............(I would have sold them off-line but I had 3 PSA 9s to sell and I didn't want to list just three items...)

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Wow!

I haven't seen this kind of excitement for the 72 set since the early days of the registry! Great job to Arny,Marz, Barkus, Lostdart and all the rest for keeping the excitement for this set alive! I have always loved this set and it holds special memories from childhood.

I do have two words of advice for all of you and take it for what its worth or ignore it - its your choice. The words are "patience"...

Remember... its a big frikkin set and its easy to get caught up in your charge up the rankings or GPA or set rating and spend, spend spend and find yourself caught short at 75%. Its happened A LOT. So, remember that most cards will come around again and again - especially in PSA 8 and even PSA 9.

and the other word is "educate"... Continue to check out the Pop report and understand which cards are tough and which are easy. You're better off bidding $60 on a PSA 8 5th series Jerry Grote than a PSA 9 6th series Jerry Reuss. Understanding the scarcity will keep you from bidding well above a cards worth and in the end, will make it easier for you to complete - and less likely to take a financial bath if you decide to break it up.

Continued good luck to all and look forward to seeing you in the Top 10 soon!!!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Thanks for the tips Frank!

I'm primarily looking at the PSA 8 cards and not really focusing on anything other than that. I bid on some 9s here and there, but definitely have a 'limit' that I set for those. Most of the 8s are coming around and around and I don't bid over what I'm willing to pay. So far, it has paid off as I haven't spent as much as I originally anticipated. And, I've only spent as much as I have because I've picked up a few star cards that I didn't even anticipate in having at this point.

At any rate, I am definitely enjoying putting this set together and I know that if we have the guys that are 'into' the set not give up, should be continued fun for all of us!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Doh! David just moved into the Top 20 and bumped me from #19 back to #20!

I hope that no one jumps up and bumps me off of the 'front' page...sheesh....gotta keep lookin' out there for cards! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Down to 19th with another few big blocks coming.

I have followed Frank's approach with my 8s. It will be interesting to compare dollars invested when I comlete my set.
    I've been keeping track of every card's price and will compare with the others if you'd like to.

Congrats! Like Arnold says...."I'll Be Back!" image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    When Frank speaks, everyone should listen. image....and he is right that patience is a strong virtue here..........All cards will come around again..........(except maybe a Schaal IA or a Houk or a Kendall)
    My original intent was to put this set together in 2 years time with 65% the first year. I am way ahead of that schedule in both % and grade. I am happy with the amount of money spent and have over taken my expected GPA.

It is a great bunch of collectors here......and I do not feel like its a competition.....

We will all complete our set to our satisfaction and along the way make good friends helping each other out

Dave Read offered me a bunch of cards that he had in PSA 9 that I needed. But he would do better selling them on EBAY cause i will only spend so much on PSA 9 and I will probalby bid on a few of those PSA 9s anyway.

We will keep on keeping on...............image

Hey.................... lets keep this thread as our official 72 TOPPS Registry thread.....Others may not be interested but lets keep it current as the OFFICIAL 1972 TOPPS SET REGISTRY THREAD......

.............mail came .....only one card to add today: Bill Buckner...#114.......

...Oh well at this point I do not have alot of cards coming.......slim pickins when your 84% done.....

Two cards for me to add came in the mail....#566 Reggie Smith IA & #590 Graig Nettles.

Just wanted to post today on our OFFICIAL 1972 THREAD!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I just noticed that I won the Tom Seaver card last night. Cool....always liked that card.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Two cards arrived today. #302 George Mitterwald IA and #771 Giants Team - both in PSA 10.

I don't even wanna go into what I've spent on this set so far. The only thing that is keeping the price reasonable is the fact that I've submitted over 6000 cards to PSA from 1972 and at one time had over 475 PSA 9's from my own submissions. Now, I'm down to about 390 PSA 9's from my own submissions as I've replaced some with 10's. But, I made good money selling off doubles after keeping the best ones for the set. I've also had some luck with picking up some of the tough cards in nice raw form. So far, from my own invoices, I've had

0 - Paul Schaal IA PSA 8 (this card deserves all the reputation it gets - ITS A BOOGER!!!)
    1 - Vida Blue IA PSA 8
    3 - Joe Hoerner PSA 8
    2 - Frank Baker PSA 8
    4 - Ken Henderson PSA 8, 1 - PSA 9
    3 - Alan Gallagher PSA 8, 1 - PSA 9
    2 - Fred Kendall PSA 8, 1 - PSA 9
    1 - Ralph Houk PSA 9
    4 - Jerry Grote PSA 8
    and others...

I used to wait to submit two of each card and I'd usually get 1 PSA 9 and 1 PSA 8 about 70% of the time. So, I'd keep the 9 and sell the 8 to Neil Downey. I'd buy raw cards at the Fort and complete sets from eBay. Each time I had 3 sets, I'd compare them and keep the two best of each card and sell off the "low" set. Then I'd buy another high grade set and do it again. Each time, I'd had about 500 cards that I thought were worthy of 8's - off they'd go to PSA.

There was always some competition between me and Erik Jarvi. But, we came to terms eventually. I did a lot of trading with Neil Downey and Mike Castaldi to help each other out. It sounds like you guys are having a blast as you build - believe me - thats the way to go. Its great when you've got someone you can email and say - I WON THE GROTE TONIGHT - 22 CARDS TO GO!!!!!

Keep it up guys! I'll be watching!!!

Take care and have a great weekend!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I just submitted 200-1972's , mostly 1,2 and 6th series cards. I had 8 Bob Barton IA, NOT 1 even close to centered for an 8. All short left.
    Gaspipe,

It goes without saying that you MUST post your submission results on this thread! LOL

You'll have some folks comin' after those things if they come out at least 8s.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Oh I didn'y tell ya but I completed my set the other day................HUH you say?

Well as a goof I have been filling in the various team sets. and the other day I completed my first one.

The 1972 Texas Rangers Team set

The last card added was the always tough Lenny Randle...............WOOHOO !!! image

(......actually everytime you reach 75% on a set you get FREE submissions for that set: one free for each team set and five free for the whole set.) I do have a raw set sitting around the house and although most of the set would grade EX-NR there are a handful of cards that will be worth grading including a nice Grote and a Clemente

• Hey FB ...Do you remember the time at the Fort I told you I would have the first PSA 9 Paul Schaal in action? If I remember right ,Eric Oleander won it for what I thought was a great price for that card.Its funny that his name has not been brought up in this thread.Both Eric and yourself have incredible sets.I admire that you have submitted many of your own cards.
    I remember buying that card at a local small show for .25 cents. It was in with a box of 72 commons this dealer had.It was a weird box in that some cards were dogs and others were of the crisp vending variety.
    I remember he had a few Schaals all centered like I had never seen before but the one was like pulling a diamond.
    Now I have never pursued this set but have always liked reading about the 72s and I have paid attention to the tougher cards and tried to find them when possible. I have had the Grotes,Cleon Jones IA, Schaal IA, an Unbelievable Houk,Mcrae IA ,Reds Rookies,etc but the one card I have never even come across a submittable example is that stinkin Vida Blue IA. Dont know why but thats gonna be a goal of mine to find one. Just recently had an Aaron Ia that was centered perfect come back a 7 because of some minor corner wear. Oh well.
    Nobody comes close to Mkwsportscards for the 72s though!!! What a dent he put into the 72 population!
    They hit the motherlode of 72s.

Oh and Gaspipe....too bad your garage full of vending cards are always O/C. There has got to be some centered cards in there somewhere!!

Frank is the man when it comes to 72s.Keep that #1 spot!!!! See you at the National.
    I guess you havent seen all the 9's and 10's Ive been listing for the last 6 months. Or the 9's and 10's 2 other known sellers are selling on Ebay who bought the cards in bulk from me.The reason there tough is because the majority of the particular card is OC. I do have a few Blue IA that arent to OC though. So please keep your incorrect comments about me to yourself. Thanks
  • Wow,
    Somebodys panties are in a wad. I dont know how you interpeted my post but obviously you took it the wrong way. Thats probably the reason my thread count is very low for the amount of time I have been part of these boards.And like everyone else here I was reading the boards LONG before I signed up.
    I thought it was kind of a cool story about the Schaal In Action and wanted to share with the other enthusiatic new 72 members. Thats what this board was intended to be.I was hoping to add something positive rather than sit on the sidelines. Sharing stories,information,trading,asking questions is what it should be all about. My bad if you were offended by anything. Im fully aware of who you are and the amount of high quality cards you have/sell. I have bought as well as sold to you .
    Now go back it up with some Blue In action Psa 9s.
    Seriously, my sincere apologies if something upset you. I dont wanna take away from the great 72 post.
  • VintageJeffVintageJeff Posts: 1,282
    Damn you guys. Read this thread and started searching ebay for 72's lol. Thats all I need is another set to work on.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
    Please share your stories, Dakota! Absolutely! Or anyone else out there for that matter.

Hey boys....we got another one! Vintage Jeff is in! LOL
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Man! Its like Old-Timers day on this thread!!!!

I haven't been around in a while and then when Bob (Gaspipe) and Brian (dakota) show up - it definitely feels like 2002 all over again!

Dakota - I remember that first Schaal IA in 9. I saw it go up on eBay and knew, JUST KNEW that there was no way that I was going to put up a bid to compete with Eric. For him, he was bidding to fill what at the time was considered the toughest hole in his set. For me, I would be upgrading my PSA 8 to a PSA 9 on a card with a Set Weight of 1. I think I set my snipe somewhere in the $250 - $275 range and wondered whether I'd even be n the top 3 bidders. I still don't have a 9, but the 8 that I have is a thing of beauty, so it doesn't bother me.

Bob - I know that you've been working out of that garage of yours for years... But, I still have it on my 8 Baseball Card Wonders of the World list along with Jim Crandells "vault" and other collections/inventory. I would love to see what Larry Fritsch has stashed away!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Great to see some of the "old school" 72ers jumpin' on the thread!

Some of us young guns are lookin' to go down the same paths that you all did. But, the good thing for us is that there are quite a few more 72s on the market compared to years past. Bad thing is that it takes more of the 'challenge' out of it. But, when you're talkin' 72s, you are talkin' about a monster set. So, it's still a challenge unto itself.

Thanks for sharing the stories and info!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Frank,

So how much did Olander pay for that Schaal? ...and where did it come from? (seller?) Yes I am being nosey but it was an EBAY transaction so it was public record.

Well Im at a loss because I dont know who you are. I have 3 more Blue IA at PSA right now. There all close to 9 but I wouldnt be surprised if they come back 8's either. The centering on this card has always been tough, and these are 40-60. I have already submitted and received 8 Blue IA in 8 over the last 2-3 yrs, which is almost half the 8's in the Pop report.
    The original comment I made was to make the point that in my opinion the Barton IA was also a very difficult card because the tendancy was to be way offcenter to the right. I came to that conclusion because I visually looked at 8-10 cards recently and all were miscut that way. It is the first time I ever saw these cards and really had no opinion until now. I recently found 1st,2nd, and 6th series vending runs. Unfortunately they were rubberbanded and the top 5-6 cards and the bottom 5-6 cards were all damaged by they bands.
    In my current submission I did find Jerry Johnson and Rick Wise IA cards that I expect 9's . These were cards I was not aware were difficult in 8 and 9 until now. Hopefully I will have the subission results back in a week or so and I'll list them before leaving for the National on the 26th.
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    As Frank alluded to, there are many benefits to finding your own raw stuff to submit.
    1 - It's the best way to control the quality of your set. For the stuff you submit, you know what it is. You don't have to order it from eBay and hope that you like it.
    2 - It's the cheapest way to get PSA9s.
    3 - It's the cheapest way to pick up tough cards.

In the early days, I'd had very good luck submitting tough 72s. . .
    Mays IA, Aaron IA, 3 Expos Teams, 2 Reds RC, McRae IA, etc.
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.