1212223242527»

Comments

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

One of my favs

• Options

@Appletrader1 said:
    Hello! I found this thread and decided to go dig out my old collection from when I was a kid and lo and behold, a nnof frank thomas along with 4 of the “blackless” cards discussed! I’m honestly just interested in selling these to someone that will appreciate them, so message me and Lmk how/who to reach if you are interested!

This, I gots to see.

• Options

@Appletrader1 said:
    Hello! I found this thread and decided to go dig out my old collection from when I was a kid and lo and behold, a nnof frank thomas along with 4 of the “blackless” cards discussed! I’m honestly just interested in selling these to someone that will appreciate them, so message me and Lmk how/who to reach if you are interested!

Just post your cards with time stamps. I have gots to see! I am always a buyer. Deep pockets, etc.

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 9:44AM

@Appletrader1 said:

Very cool that you found these, however we like to see pics in this thread. There are a lot of scammers out there and one of the more suspicious lines is the "just want to sell these to someone that appreciates them" leading many to rush into a bad decision in hopes of getting a deal. Pics or it didn't happen.

If you truly have these cards and are interested in selling you will find no shortage of buyers on this thread, the Facebook group or Ebay. Please provide pics to prove you are not scamming. A lot of us are still working behind the scenes, making discoveries and contributing to this thread for posterity. The value of the thread is diminished significantly when readers have to scroll through wasteful spam posts to find interesting content.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 8:45AM

A few of my adds over the last several months. Biggio, Walker and Ryan were purchases. Ryan blue print line and Walker yellow streak go along with the NNOF sheet. Perez, Assenmacher and Thomas came out of packs (way more fun this way). Lots of leg work goes into digging up the singles. I open a lot of packs, boxes and cases as well.

• Options

So I just discovered this whole blackless theory and find it fascinating. I decided to print up the numbers, a short description and a picture of the layout so i could go look for them in my old boxes and THIS happened when I hit print. No lie. that, my friends, is the universe.
    https://imgur.com/Qtjmstt

• Options

Okay, so I looked through my boxes and none of them have missing black, however, i did find consistent card damage on a few cards that I believe line up on the swash plate. Looks like a roller error or something dug into them. I don't know if that helps with any questions or if it may be evidence that helps reconstruct anything, so i figured I would just throw it out there as I found it odd that they lined up with the print sheet.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OGwcgpU

• Options

This one just popped up on Net54, it was on the right edge on the 6th row of the B* sheet, I would think Brantley above him and Cochrane to his left were also affected to some degree.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2022 6:03PM

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    This one just popped up on Net54, it was on the right edge on the 6th row of the B* sheet, I would think Brantley above him and Cochrane to his left were also affected to some degree.

Very cool error! I've never seen one that resulted in the team name being completely blank. It definitely appears as though the Brantley should be affected.
    That's an interesting location, with regards to where they are on the uncut sheet, as I have a Steinbech and Roger Clemens from the red sheet with blackless areas in nearly the exact same position on the uncut sheet, though the shape of the blackless area is different. Both cards are in the bottom right corner of the uncut sheet as yours is.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 7:07AM

@HalfNipponese said:

@secretstash said:
    Is this just a "print dot" of some sort?

I found these in several different vending boxes, but then got side tracked from digging further into the cases.

I have a card with a similar error in the upper left hand corner. Blue border as well. My blue cards seemed to have grown legs and I can't find them. Hopefully I didn't pack them away accidentally. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

Just an update on my Blackless cards. I'm getting them graded through Beckett. I know I should choose PSA but Beckett has never graded a specimen of several of my cards. Being the first and only one to have some of the cards feels cool to me and my cards will hopefully be the reference photo on the site.

Also, 2 auction houses are interested in some of these cards for their fall offering. Chances are I'll be going through one of them. If you have any you want to sell DM me and maybe we can coordinate. Right now I'm only going to be offering up a Morris and maybe a McGriff. I'm leaning towards just the Morris in the fall and then maybe the McGriff in the spring. Has anyone had any experience selling through Lelands or For the Love of the Game?

I still have these cards. I still have the vending case they came from that I need to search. Many years ago I removed superstars if I recall correctly, but I've definitely never searched for blackless, partial blackless, or more of these print defects.

Is there any value in these and should I continue searching? You mentioned that you had a run of these in blue border as well so I wondered if those ever panned out to anything?

Thanks.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Any chance these Ebay auctions are legit? Most of the cards in the streak are listed for auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284868337485?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2022 9:07AM

Any chance PSA designates this 1990 topps Marcus Lawton as partial blackless?

• Options

Hey everyone! I’m obviously new here. I was recently given a bunch of random Tupperware tubs with a bunch of old baseball cards and happened to come across the pics I’ve attached. My questions are two fold. I’ve seen and heard a lot about the Frank Thomas cards. I’m looking for some advice of what to do with them. Grade? Sell on eBay? Try to sell at a shop. The next question I have is about the Ozzie cards. The two on top look very different than the two identical ones on the bottom. Just curious if you had seen that before and if it fits into the main theme of this thread.

Thanks!

• Options

Are you looking to sell one og the Thomas's? Straight up?

• Options

@cardshark0131 said:
    Are you looking to sell one og the Thomas's? Straight up?

Yes, I’d like to.

• Options

How much for 1.
    Would you trade the 84 opeechee

with Ozzie and all the others?

• Options
    edited September 28, 2023 1:11PM

@cardshark0131 said:
    How much for 1.
    W

Once again you are clogging this invaluable thread with trash like you did three years ago trying to sell a fake NNOF here. Seriously. Take it to DMs and edit your post to clear out all the pointless images. This is so stupid.

Also, @C1n3rgy , you should know, if you go back to this post:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12525417/#Comment_12525417
    And then continued here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12728547/#Comment_12728547

You will see where "cardshark" was clearly phishing for vulnerable members to sell a fake NNOF to on this thread, with very blurry pictures (classic tactic when selling fraudulent goods). I would highly recommend grading and then selling your cards on eBay rather than getting involved in any private dealings with this person. We have receipts on them.

@cardshark0131 Fake NNOF:

• Options

@West22 lol I was literally sending you a PM to ask almost exactly everything you mentioned in your post. Thanks for the heads up.

You have any opinion on the Ozzie cards? My thoughts are leaning to just run of the mill printing issues as opposed to the “black-less” specific errors - but most here have a way better eye for that stuff that I do so far.

• Options

Glad you read my post. Anytime someone tries to take a deal private immediately you can be quite sure you are not getting fair market value on your cards. Also don't be fooled by the many clowns listing the Frank Thomas partial blackless error for many thousands of dollars BIN on ebay. The true selling value of these has been between $200 and $2000 historically, depending on grade, condition and market timing. Right now some clown has a ton of them listed at absurd prices so they don't look as rare as they once did.

Ozzie cards are fairly run of the mill differences in either the printing plates or the ink levels of the presses that day. I will say there are far more of these types of errors in the printing runs that contain the NNOF and related errors but still no premium attached to the Ozzie Smith cards.

• Options

@West22 appreciate the info. Glad I found this thread.

• Options

@West22 said:

Ozzie cards are fairly run of the mill differences in either the printing plates or the ink levels of the presses that day. I will say there are far more of these types of errors in the printing runs that contain the NNOF and related errors but still no premium attached to the Ozzie Smith cards.

Just an FYI: All of the All-Stars players have distinct background variations. These printing variances affect ONLY the black ink of the background and not the remainder of the card. A very unusual thing and it seems like Topps wasn't sure just how dark they wanted the area to be. I've noticed that the very light background cards seem to be in (slightly) shorter supply than the mid-dark versions.

@West22 said:

@cardshark0131 said:
    How much for 1.
    W

Once again you are clogging this invaluable thread with trash like you did three years ago trying to sell a fake NNOF here. Seriously. Take it to DMs and edit your post to clear out all the pointless images. This is so stupid.

You will see where "cardshark" tried to sell a clearly fake NNOF on this thread, with very blurry pictures (classic tactic when selling fraudulent goods). I would highly recommend grading and then selling your cards on eBay rather than getting involved in any private dealings with this person. We have receipts on them.

@cardshark0131 Fake NNOF:

Yeah, this was really obvious to me at the time but I recall a lot of 'benefit of the doubt' going on at the time but I may be misremembering.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

To any mod reading this, I won't be responding to the above poster any longer. My only concern and reason for posting originally was to protect a fellow member from a fraudulent dealing.

So PLEASE, I beg you, don't lock this great thread down.

I am happy to have any of my and his last few posts edited or (preferably) deleted at your discretion. This thread is a valuable trove of information so I ask that you please don't shut it down but rather deal with any offending individual members or posts separately.

• Options

@West22 said:
    To any mod reading this, I won't be responding to the above poster any longer. My only concern and reason for posting originally was to protect a fellow member from a fraudulent dealing.

So PLEASE, I beg you, don't lock this great thread down.

I am happy to have any of my and his last few posts edited or (preferably) deleted at your discretion. This thread is a valuable trove of information so I ask that you please don't shut it down but rather deal with any offending individual members or posts separately.

Running to the principal.
    Remember bud, you called me out.
    Back up your claims. Don't worry, im not returning. If the individuals here are like you, 🙄, especially last year. ID PREFERABLY, want your bull crap contained to some other lib tards message board.

• Options

Remember you cannot create a narrative with a single picture.
    So go back to ripping boxes with moms allowance. And leave me alone. All I wanted to do was make a buy and the self righteous keyboard warrior empties his crap filled mind with lies. Then Asks to tap out?? BRAVO

• Options

So funny story. I went to a local card shop after work today, just to ask if they knew anything about the Frank Thomas card and if they had any interest. Both guys (probably my age, mid 30’s) had no idea it even existed or what it was.

• Options

@C1n3rgy said:

So funny story. I went to a local card shop after work today, just to ask if they knew anything about the Frank Thomas card and if they had any interest. Both guys (probably my age, mid 30’s) had no idea it even existed or what it was.

I find this to be a very typical exchange. I had one for sale on eBay for awhile a few years ago. I got about 1-2 messages a month asking to explain "what the errors is" even though I had a blown up picture of the nameplate and a detailed description of the error in the listing. The other messages varied between those telling me it was worthless and those that accused me of scamming, "making up the error", etc. They wouldn't back down even after I sent them pictures of PSA recognized graded examples. To be quite honest, there's a significant number of dudes who are in this hobby who are down bad when it comes to brain cells.

• Options

15th Anniversary bump for this thread (15!!)

I restored the earlier pictures from 2009 on that I had posted in this thread that had otherwise been lost when photobucket went belly up.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, this is the single greatest thread of all time on CU. It reignited my childhood desire for the NNOF.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I wonder what happened to BunchOBull? he was a regular on here for many years. looks like he hasnt been active for almost 3 years.

• Options

A lot has changed in 15 years. Many have moved on from "message board" format entirely. Not sure what Ross is up to these days. But always to be remembered as the poster that launched a thousand ships.

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    pootshwanpootshwan Posts: 85 ✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I wonder what happened to BunchOBull? he was a regular on here for many years. looks like he hasnt been active for almost 3 years.

Ross is still an active member of the hobby and a Frank Thomas collector. I will let him know y'all were asking.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@pootshwan said:

@craig44 said:

Ross is still an active member of the hobby and a Frank Thomas collector. I will let him know y'all were asking.

that would be great. tell him to stop on by and say hi!!

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 11:37AM

He is still active in the Facebook group “1990 Topps Partial Blackless”. As is Joe (Rookiewax).

It’s a small group by sports card collecting standards, but we make up for it in enthusiasm. It’s really saying something that the original actors of this thread are still active 15 years later!

• Options

@BunchOBull said:
    Hi all, as others have mentioned, still actively collecting and still hoping to one day complete the blackless run. When I was last really active on the boards, I was a high school physics teacher and used my summers to really dig into the hobby. In 2018, decided to take a leap of faith and enroll in a full-time business school program for a chance to change industries. Between 16 hour days in b-school, to starting a new career, time to contribute to the hobby just vanished. While I'm still passionate about collecting, I don't get to share much these days. I hope everyone is well and actively chasing their next whale.

thanks for the update! I always wonder what happened to those folks who were so integral to our board and important threads like this. I wish you well on your journey! I hope if you get a few minutes of down time on occasion you will stop in and say hi.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

This is one of the best message board threads ever. Thank you.

• Options

Partial Blackless 1990 Topps Baseball cards are Satanic. Yet people still pursue them. hmm.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

I opened a 1990 Topps Price Club Box because of the motivation in the thread. All corrected.