Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

@richtree said:
    Here are two more I found ---- sorry the scanner didn't work, I can correct in another scan at work ...... offer if you want em'

anyone interested the deal feel thru , message me

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1990_Topps__414_Frank_Thomas_NNOF_PSA_9_MINT-LOT62611.aspx

You guys see this PSA 9 top 20k last night?

Seems like a solid price to me but not sure what these have been going for.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a tremendous price. I am so glad I got mine when I did.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

I’m interested in collecting these cards. Anyone interested in selling?

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Ltlbvr said:
    I’m interested in collecting these cards. Anyone interested in selling?

Welcome to the forum

I’m a novice. But, this BGS 8 on eBay 383040887236 doesn’t look good to me. Anyone else see it?

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 1:49PM

https://ebay.com/itm/1990-Topps-414-Frank-Thomas-RC-HOF-NNOF-No-Name-On-Front-BGS-8-w-9-5-RARE/383040887236?hash=item592f0419c4:g:gr4AAOSway5dJN2h

A lot of wrong things going on there:

1. Its definitely not an authentic NNOF
    2. Its seems to be a standard fake (pre 2010) and not an authentic 1990 Topps card of any sort
    3. Yet it appears to be in an authentic BGS holder but typically their flips will clearly denote "No Name on Front"
    4. No record found when you enter the cert on the Beckett website
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

That card is a ridiculous fake! How is Probstein selling this???

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 3:30PM

@saucywombat said:
    4. No record found when you enter the cert on the Beckett website

It verified, but required me to log in: https://www.beckett.com/grading/card-lookup?item_type=BGS&item_id=0011017488&submit=Submit

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Everything requires a login on their site.... Can't even look up a cert number.... SMH

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Huge fake... how are there 15 people bidding on this thing, let alone Probstein allowing himself to consign it? Terrible...

• JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Do you have a PSA 9 Craig44? I have a raw that I am patiently waiting to get graded. Debating on who grades it and if I mail or take in person at a show.

Error and RC collector.

I have two, both graded by BGS. One is an 8.5 the other is a 9. if it were my card, I would have it graded at a show. I have a bit of a phobia about having my cards go through the mail.

That’s exactly my thought too- not a huge fan of mailing. I just look at when the big grading companies come through. I have SGC real close, but almost prefer BGS I think...

Error and RC collector.

Very cool you have 2 btw! Did you see the recent Frank with partial black missing that just sold on the bay? I almost jumped on it for $300 or obo. It was graded a PSA 9.

Error and RC collector.

yeah, that was an interesting card. I am not sure though if it really is related to the NNOF or if it is more of a random print defect. It is lacking the border line breaks and the discoloration around the heel and elbow. for me, 300 was steep.

• cardshark0131cardshark0131 Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 4:43PM

• Hey guys, can any of you help me with info on any potential double print cards from 1990 Topps? There’s one of Jim Abbott on eBay now and have also seen this John Smoltz where it’s very clear (even more than the Abbott) that it’s a double print. You can see the 4 eyes (hoping the pic works) and hoping some of you know if there’s others or it’s recognized by anyone.
    Thanks
    Two pics of a normal Smoltz n the double print one.

• Also I should have mentioned this before, but I first found this thread when it started in 2009 and brought back memories. Might as well share my NNOF story.

A friend of mine pulled a Thomas NNOF in a wax pack from a little store near Rice Lake, Wisconsin.
    (Northwestern part of the state)

I’ve seen that most are pulled from the East Coast but since I know the one I first got my hands on were from Wisconsin, definitely curious as to why or how they were potentially distributed.

I traded for the NNOF before it hit price guides. When it was first listed, it was $5.00, then $10.00, then it went to $100 and ultimately $1600. Which is where I was sick as a kid still early in high school when $1600 was a fortune. I was sick because as an avid Griffey collector I traded it for $10 worth of over produced Griffey’s. 🤦‍♂️

Only good thing is that my obsession over the card prompted me to buy an 8.5 Beckett on eBay for $600 in 2008.

I sold it same way in an auction on eBay in fall of 2017 for $4900. 😢 I needed the money at the time unfortunately so I gambled when I saw my same 8.5 just go for $6200 the week before (by probstein)

Since things have died down on here and this is such a legendary thread, I figured I’d tell my NNOF stories and hope someone has an answer or other double printed cards from this set as the Smoltz card above I posted.

Hope you’re all doing well through the craziness in the world.

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

it seems like the double print is just a shift in the plate, seems like no big deal to me.....

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not double-printed, the registration is off.

Arthur

just bad registration.

• @richtree said:
    it seems like the double print is just a shift in the plate, seems like no big deal to me.....

Hey guys, RichTree,,,,I have the whiten, and also the 1985 tiffany Carew very rare print error....Let me know if you are interested..

• @ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Yup

• I lined this one too....

• @richtree said:

• West22West22 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

No offense to anyone posting but a lot of us have worked hard turning this into a NNOF information thread. Let’s keep it on topic and not clog things up with very unrelated subject matter.

• None taken. I was trying to directly respond to Richtree, but it clogged up the thread. My bad...

• @ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

@craig44 said:
    just bad registration.

Appreciate the insight on the 90 Topps Smoltz above.
    I’m assuming this happened at times and there’s no precedence or examples of any of them being worth a premium other than maybe being collectible for some.

Thanks guys.

• NNOFNNOF Posts: 1

I recently came across a Thomas NNOF. Everything checks out except the dot. Does every legitimate NNOF Thomas have a black dot? Thanks

• @NNOF said:
    I recently came across a Thomas NNOF. Everything checks out except the dot. Does every legitimate NNOF Thomas have a black dot? Thanks

Do you have a pic? I can compare it to mine...

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

BIG DAY...I've decided to make some of my 1990 Topps Error Packs available. See BUY/SELL/TRADE forum for details.

@NNOF said:

If you mean the black dot in the nameplate, every one I have ever seen has had one. It is a small piece of the T that made it into the card

It’s actually the bottom of the “F” in “Frank” that didn’t quite get cut off. About 75% of the no name on front cards have it.

RookieWax - did you sell any partial blackless packs? I didn’t see the listing.

@West22 said:
    It’s actually the bottom of the “F” in “Frank” that didn’t quite get cut off. About 75% of the no name on front cards have it.

yes, you are correct sir

@Ltlbvr said:

RookieWax - did you sell any partial blackless packs? I didn’t see the listing.

The listing was closed and then deleted. It says in his profile he is banned as well. I hope we can keep this thread drama free going forward.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty amazing thread. Hard to believe the prices the other blackless cards have sold for on eBay. $4700 for a Darrin Jackson? This collecting world is so fascinating.

-Nathanael

• Hey guys. The list of Blackless and shade variations keeps growing. Has anyone noticed the Eric Davis All Star. I know it was affected on the sheet, but there is a version that is totaly different from the others....shade wise. Anyone know about the Blue Lines? And the Beringuer Partial on back?

• This is what I meant with the Blue lines....

The Eric Davis is not uncommon at all. Many cards thoughout the years were printed with varying degrees of lighter and darker ink.

The vertical lines running down the red sheet cards are slightly more uncommon but not unusual errors either. Those are plate scratches that occur over the course of a print run and are corrected after some time. Your look like black plate scratches. The cyan plate scratches on the Nolan Ryan, Kenny Rogers and a few others are associated with the NNOF. That is why they get some attention. They are, almost without exception, only found on the cards that were on the affected orange sheet of NNOF cards. I say almost, because this spring I was opening three boxes and found cards from at least three different error print runs. I pulled the Nolan Ryan blue plate scratch card twice, and in one of the packs there was a normal John Hart (it theoretically should've been the error version).

I haven't had time to scan all the cards from this find in but am eager to share the results.

Very impressive collection. Only 5 collectors on here have discovered error cards in packs or their collections so sources are very limited and the one person who is in possession of the majority of the population has set EBay prices very high.

Since many of the peripheral errors were likely tossed or lost in the 1990s and early 2000s and hobby awareness of these errors still remains low, the chances of more than a handful of these surfacing are low.

I hope the recent bubble of prices in late 1980 - early 1990 product encourages collectors who have abandoned the hobby to go back through their cards and surface a few more of these. I would like to see how they perform in a straight EBay auction.

Thanks West22. I’d love if a Fisk or Hart came up for auction :).

I’m the buyer on the recent eBay sales. I’ve paid between 800 - 1200. I understand most would say that’s way too much. But, the bottom line is these cards are rare.

I’m excited to have collected what I’ve got - but would love to find Fisk and Hart.

We all collect because it’s fun. And, this thread early is incredible.

Post close ups of the Magrane and Darrin Jackson if you can

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]

Here they are:

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

I am assuming PSA is getting a list from this thread?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Any chance you could post a scan of Acker, Lawton and Tapani?

If so I can complete a hi-def photo collage of all the error cards together.

[email protected]
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible collection. Thanks for sharing. You could pay 10x that amount from my perspective and if you get the enjoyment return then it’s all worth it.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too