Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Ok, I know this topic has been mentioned dozens of times in the history of this forum, but I want to revisit it in the form of a project I've been working on for several months.

As I've stated before, it is my belief the NNOF error was the result of a strip of cardstock intersecting the printing dyes and several runs of the orange card sheet. Whether this was done intentionally or not, I do not know, but I lean toward unintentional because Frank was nowhere near the number one prospect at the time of the sheet's printing, and if this were an intentional error, I suspect a higher rated prospect would have been chosen to create this variation for.

If this theory is correct, there are potentially several other cards affected by black-less sections on their respective printings...

Namely, this defect could affect the Craig Biggio All-Star card, but potentially including the cards of Jim Acker, John Morris, and John Hart.

While no major print defect would be noticed on these cards, I suspect they, when taken from the sheets that produced the NNOF error, are missing ink on the black edging around some borders and, in a couple of cases, team names.

This is a recreation of what may have occurred...but the cardstock would have been stuck to the printing side...

While the monetary potential for these supposed variations, less the Biggio, is very slim, I have been trying to locate an example of each. I wanted to be able to unveil them together as one display, but I've yet to uncover one example.

So, this is a shout out to everyone...be on the lookout for potential black-less variations of these cards. I think the concept is novel and brings a little bit of enjoyment to a widely overproduced set.
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• If your looking for the website www.BigHurtHOF.com, shown watermarked on the sheet picture, the site is under construction. He hopes to have it completed shortly.

Here's what BunchOBull had to say about his site..

"It's a player collector site meant to highlight the early cards and memorabilia featuring Frank Thomas, as well as random items of interest through the present day. I'm designing the site to follow a timeline of events. Highlighted pieces of memorabilia will include relevant information about the pieces and statistics and facts about Frank's career that parallel the release of each individual item.

Special projects I'm working on include the '90 Topps Blackless errors and a complete encyclopedia of game used bats used by Frank from his professional career."

-Summary of Events- Still compiling info

Page-

1- B.O.B. Theory
    2- Hart Blackless, Morris Blackless
    4- Russell A.S. Blackless
    5- 1990 Topps Sheet pic
    B.O.B. –New Theory
    slantycouch Theory
    Franco A.S. Blackless
    McGriff A.S. Blackless,
    Mattingly ”Blackless” later on page 9 decided it's not related to NNOF
    slantycouch Offset Printing expliantion
    7- jasoneggert- Theory
    slantycouch- Theory (McGriff points to fluid)
    imageimageimage
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    Certainly, I'll try to get a better picture for you in time.

• << <i>Certainly, I'll try to get a better picture for you in time. >>

Thank You.

No need for a different pic unless you want. The pics will all be B/W (only the FF will have color....hopefully) and it's photocopied. Trying to keep it cheap.
    imageimageimage
    Oh ok, very good then. I hope someone can substantiate this for me. I've been working on this project for the unveiling on my website, but it's not getting anywhere fast...so I hope someone can help...the more people who are introduced to it, the better.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a scan of a NNOF, believe it or not I've never seen one. image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    You should check out a site like Sportlots.com and buy up the commons that surround the Thomas in bulk. It'd be a few bucks, but you'll be able to see if you get lucky and strike gold.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Never heard of any 90 Topps errors of broken lines,missing ink etc. Only 3 errors in the set, Thomas,Frohwirth and King. But with such a limited run of the NNOF, they should be out there in someone's closet. Probally next to all the rare FF variations.
    imageimageimage
    Last time I checked sportslots they only had 8 or so listed so I didn't bite. I need to take a look again. I really like checkoutmycards.com because they scan every card, front and back. No go on there either.

edited to say...of the Biggio variety...I've been looking for it specifically.

<< <i>Do you have a scan of a NNOF, believe it or not I've never seen one. image >>

Darin,

I do not currently own a NNOF. They're surprisingly easy to come by so I haven't stressed about it.

Here is a borrowed picture:

A fake:

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    What about that super rare "name blacked out" version?
    Yeah, that's a 1 of 1 I'm pretty sure. Until someone gets creative again. Don't sniff the Sharpie.

• << <i>What about that super rare "name blacked out" version? >>

lol

imageimageimage
    Just checked out sportlots...a lot more examples now...I think I'll have to bite.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the NNOF card only found (in packs) in a certain part of the country or something like that?
    New England wax packs, yes sir.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, someone told me that awhile back but I forgot.

I was going to open a couple boxes I've had since 90, but they are cellos from Ohio.
  • I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...).
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...). >>

Midwest wax sucks.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

<< <i>I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...). >>

I appreciate it Paul.
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Great pics and good writeup!

Very interesting theory too...

As clean as the breaks are in the black, I agree that it was likely a rogue piece of paper or cardstock. It's fairly common in printing. The mystery certainly is how long/wide the piece was and where it stretched across the sheet. Would be awesome to find any of those surrounding cards with similar errors.

<< <i>Great pics and good writeup!

Very interesting theory too...

As clean as the breaks are in the black, I agree that it was likely a rogue piece of paper or cardstock. It's fairly common in printing. The mystery certainly is how long/wide the piece was and where it stretched across the sheet. Would be awesome to find any of those surrounding cards with similar errors. >>

This is very true, there is no telling how far up the sheet the strip blocked, and therefore there may be other significant errors to look out for. I can only confirm that those four cards were potentially affected, if the theory is correct. I'd love to own an uncut sheet with the NNOF one of these days; however, if one exists and were to surface, I'd not be able to contend with the market.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Seeing Jeff Juden sure does bring back bad memories.

Can't miss prospect my rear...

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Yep. Pieces do slip in.

imageimageimage
    How fitting...a border in with Borders.

• << <i>How fitting...a border in with Borders. >>

I thought it was pretty funny. Couldn't of happened to a better card.

"Are your borders OC?,or over trimmed?, well, with our new "Extra border per pack" you can now fix that problem !"
    imageimageimage
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I've got gobs of 1990 Topps in #'d order - what are the card numbers for the others? I'll take a look.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
    I appreciate it...the numbers are:

141, 383, 404, 728
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bull ... you ever get one of these from Front Row?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    I have one Front Row auto, but not that card. There are auto'd versions of every card in the set!

Just bumping this up for anyone who may have been looking through their stacks or anyone who didn't see it yesterday.
    edited February 26, 2024 3:37PM
    BunchOBull - great detective work! - following up on your lead I have exciting news - I found the errors on the John Hart and John Morris cards where expected. See below. The blackless areas are not so uniform though, they appear to be a sort of irregular area, almost like a spill or some other sort of splotching. I had between 8-15 examples of each card could not find any variation of Biggio or Acker. Maybe we can agree on a finder's feeimage I'm pumped. The mindless sorting of 1990 Topps paid off.
    Upper Left John Hart (Notice the color degradation)
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Interesting stuff
    edited February 26, 2024 3:38PM
    John Morris
    John Morris Upper Right (Area is more uniform but also color degradation)
    [email protected]
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular and interesting work! Coolest modern thing I've read/seen in a long time.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • AWESOME! 19 years later a sound theory finds new variations! Congrats BoB
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    From my detective work the Thomas NNOF never came in packs, only from some uncut sheets Topps sold in bulk (as garbage), because they had noticed the problem in printing. They were later cut and sold.

<< <i>From my detective work the Thomas NNOF never came in packs, only from some uncut sheets Topps sold in bulk (as garbage), because they had noticed the problem in printing. They were later cut and sold. >>

90% of my 1990 Topps cards came from wax or rack packs in the Charleston, SC area. I have several thousand because my high school friends all gave me their collections back when, since they had given up cards. So the "blackless" examples above definetly didn't come from uncut sheets.
    [email protected]
    Wow...how exciting!!! I wonder if PSA will recognize these?

Thank you so much for your work!

<< <i>From my detective work the Thomas NNOF never came in packs, only from some uncut sheets Topps sold in bulk (as garbage), because they had noticed the problem in printing. They were later cut and sold. >>

I can say with almost certainly that this is not the case. I've been following this card for 15 years, and it all leads to the same source.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow, crazy. Great detective work and hard to believe that it took almost 20 years for someone to find this!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    You learn something new everyday. Great work!
    AWESOME! Great work!
    So each of those are equally as rare as the Thomas, since they all would have come from the same flawed sheets. Wonder if there will be a demand for them?
    If a major TPG will recognize them, it will certainly help. The Biggio would of course be the biggest draw. I ordered 50 of them in hopes that I may find one. We will see!
    Haha my first thought was to do the same. I hope you get lucky!
    They've got to be out there somewhere. Good luck if you try to find any.

• << <i>So each of those are equally as rare as the Thomas, since they all would have come from the same flawed sheets. Wonder if there will be a demand for them? >>

I know if I owned a NNOF, I would want these cards surrounding it in a frame. Wouldn't pay NNOF prices though.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>So each of those are equally as rare as the Thomas, since they all would have come from the same flawed sheets. Wonder if there will be a demand for them? >>

I know if I owned a NNOF, I would want these cards surrounding it in a frame. Wouldn't pay NNOF prices though. >>

I wouldn't pay those prices either. But I can see paying a modest premium.
    edited February 26, 2024 3:39PM
    Fun with Paint.

Affected areas:

Together as they would be on the sheet:
    [email protected]