Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@West22 said:

@junkwaxgems said:

Also, what am I looking at with the Cory Snyder?

About 3/4” directly below the white “Topps” logo on the Snyder card is a black slash/dash line about 1/4” long. It is present on his card.

Thank you! I did spot that mark before asking but figured it must be something bigger. I think there are a handful of other subjects that have similar thin black lines in the set. Likely unrelated to the specific NNOF run.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 9:38AM

Is this just a "print dot" of some sort?

I found these in several different vending boxes, but then got side tracked from digging further into the cases.

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I really have no idea what kind of plate error causes that, since it appears to affect several different colors equally. One of the printing experts will have to step up. Since it is multiple colors and not just “blackless”, I would guess it is unrelated to the NNOF, but would defer to the experts here.

• Options
    HalfNipponeseHalfNipponese Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 4:33PM

@secretstash said:
    Is this just a "print dot" of some sort?

I found these in several different vending boxes, but then got side tracked from digging further into the cases.

I have a card with a similar error in the upper left hand corner. Blue border as well. My blue cards seemed to have grown legs and I can't find them. Hopefully I didn't pack them away accidentally. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

Just an update on my Blackless cards. I'm getting them graded through Beckett. I know I should choose PSA but Beckett has never graded a specimen of several of my cards. Being the first and only one to have some of the cards feels cool to me and my cards will hopefully be the reference photo on the site.

Also, 2 auction houses are interested in some of these cards for their fall offering. Chances are I'll be going through one of them. If you have any you want to sell DM me and maybe we can coordinate. Right now I'm only going to be offering up a Morris and maybe a McGriff. I'm leaning towards just the Morris in the fall and then maybe the McGriff in the spring. Has anyone had any experience selling through Lelands or For the Love of the Game?

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options

Just a heads up that another collector of these cards has started a private Facebook group called 1990 Topps Partial Blackless. It might be a good marketplace if anyone is looking to add more to their collection. He just started it so hopefully it'll grow.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2020 9:32PM

Well the cards are on their way to Beckett. Between shipping and grading, I’m in for over a $1k. I hope that Morris card gets me my money back this fall. Insurance to mail them was $180. Now I'm starting to understand why graded cards are worth more.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    Guys in Magic like these kinds of errors. It's become so popular that I believe the company producing the cards has started lowering production quality on purpose. To allow more "errors" to get out into the market. IMO there is no way that frank thomas NNOF "error" happened naturally.

You should go back and read this whole thread again.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:

Based on the pictures the spots are all "fisheye" type errors and fairly standard variations. The Scott is somewhat atypical in that it is large but same idea. Lines could be part of the production process or scratches. These cards would not be considered part of the blackless error.

Congratulations on your find though. Wow. Really a world class haul. Needle in haystack does not begin to describe the rarity of your stash. Great story as well.

Thanks! The search is officially over. I found a second McGriff in my sleeved cards but my wife and I decided to leave any further finds for my kids when they grow up. When they start their families in 20 years, I'd like to send them on a treasure hunt. Maybe there's another All-Star card waiting to be found.

Ten of the 11 cards I have will be sent off for grading this weekend. I'm going to sacrifice my duplicate Morris to pay for the extremely expensive grading. When they get back I'll post one last pic before stashing 9 away. I'll keep 1 Crime Dog available to sell when he gets into the HOF. I'd love to build awareness of the legendary 1990 Topps "Blackless" set and see values take off. Thank you everyone for the help. Thank you Ross for creating this treasure map.

I had to post a pic of this last card. It's giving me the creeps and I look forward the my future nightmares. It looks like someone cut off Lee Mazzilli's face and wore it like a mask for this card.

What's the verdict on this one? I have the same one and yes it is very creepy! Lol

• Options

What's the verdict on this one? I have the same one and yes it is very creepy! Lol

@Richie0131 said:

@HalfNipponese said:

Based on the pictures the spots are all "fisheye" type errors and fairly standard variations. The Scott is somewhat atypical in that it is large but same idea. Lines could be part of the production process or scratches. These cards would not be considered part of the blackless error.

Congratulations on your find though. Wow. Really a world class haul. Needle in haystack does not begin to describe the rarity of your stash. Great story as well.

Thanks! The search is officially over. I found a second McGriff in my sleeved cards but my wife and I decided to leave any further finds for my kids when they grow up. When they start their families in 20 years, I'd like to send them on a treasure hunt. Maybe there's another All-Star card waiting to be found.

Ten of the 11 cards I have will be sent off for grading this weekend. I'm going to sacrifice my duplicate Morris to pay for the extremely expensive grading. When they get back I'll post one last pic before stashing 9 away. I'll keep 1 Crime Dog available to sell when he gets into the HOF. I'd love to build awareness of the legendary 1990 Topps "Blackless" set and see values take off. Thank you everyone for the help. Thank you Ross for creating this treasure map.

I had to post a pic of this last card. It's giving me the creeps and I look forward the my future nightmares. It looks like someone cut off Lee Mazzilli's face and wore it like a mask for this card.

This looks to just be unaligned print plates. I nicknamed it 1990 Topps “Leather Face” Error. My scanner just came in. I’ll post some high res scans no the other 1990 Topps error thread.

• Options
    LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I've tried to keep my posts about opening the partial blackless packs to another thread so I don't gum this one up. I opened the 8 packs Live on Facebook yesterday and today. I got 2 known Blackless cards - Fisk and Russell. In the same pack (pack 4) as the Russell was Paul Assenmacher. He is next to Darrin Jackson and under Kevin Tapani. I got a second one in 7.

I'm looking for opinions on might this be another Blackless? It's similar to Jackson in that its a very small area. But that's not a fisheye dot (at least I dont think so).

I'd look to hear your thoughts. Again, I have video of these cards coming out of the same pack at the Russell Blackless.

• Options

I'm probably bias but here is is mine. Exact same spot.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 6:13PM

With Ltlbvr finding another identical to HalfNipponese and its position on the "F" plate, the Assenmacher card got me interested so I went back and looked for that + all the reported blue line cards.

I have the same or nearly identical Assenmacher with the spot in the "R". Looked at it under the stereoscope and its not a fisheye. Also the blue line on mine is barley discernible but appeared clearly under magnification. Wish I could take pictures through the stereoscope. The centering on my card was the same as the other blackness errors that I have.

I have 3 of the Mike Scott cards that have the orange splotching. These are essentially identical except that the registration of the black plate is a little different on one.

Card #433 Steve Olin also has the blue streak running the length of the card through the "D" in INDIANS

They all appeared to be of similar centering and condition, so I'm assuming probably came from the same source.

I will scan these when I get a chance.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

@saucywombat said:
    With Ltlbvr finding another identical to HalfNipponese and its position on the "F" plate, the Assenmacher card got me interested so I went back and looked for that + all the reported blue line cards.

I have the same or nearly identical Assenmacher with the spot in the "R". Looked at it under the stereoscope and its not a fisheye. Also the blue line on mine is barley discernible but appeared clearly under magnification. Wish I could take pictures through the stereoscope. The centering on my card was the same as the other blackness errors that I have.

I have 3 of the Mike Scott cards that have the orange splotching. These are essentially identical except that the registration of the black plate is a little different on one.

Card #433 Steve Olin also has the blue streak running the length of the card through the "D" in INDIANS

They all appeared to be of similar centering and condition, so I'm assuming probably came from the same source.

I will scan these when I get a chance.

My Steve Olin has the exact same print line. I'll post a high res scan when I have a chance.

• Options

Here are the high res scans of my F Sheet errors in the same proximity of the Partial Blackless errors.

Ozzie Smith has 2 white spots by his leg and there is a black print line by his shoulder. The line and dots are not on the regular card but I don't have a duplicate to confirm anything.

My Olin has the exact same print line as saucywombat and I found a Ripken that has the spot by his right leg.

Here are my other duplicate errors.

• Options

If anyone is interested here is an article about my find and Ltlbvr’s recent pull. I made sure to give as many shout outs as I could.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    If anyone is interested here is an article about my find and Ltlbvr’s recent pull. I made sure to give as many shout outs as I could.

Congrats on the write up

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

@saucywombat said:

@HalfNipponese said:

Congrats on the write up

Thanks!

• Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed it now. PSA population report shows one Frank Thomas “Error-Partial Blackless”. Are they now acknowledging the partial blackless Thomas, or is this just a mislabeled holder?

• Options

Very exciting developments on this thread this week. I'm sorry to have missed a lot of it as it has been a crazy week at work. I haven't seen this many blackless cards come out of the wild at any one time since 2009. Very pumped for the recognition these cards are getting and the article that just came out in SCD - congrats to all who got mentioned in there! This is truly a modern day collecting mystery and we are still seeing new developments. I appreciate all the detectives on here who helped unearth more evidence.

@stanforddude said:
    Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed it now. PSA population report shows one Frank Thomas “Error-Partial Blackless”. Are they now acknowledging the partial blackless Thomas, or is this just a mislabeled holder?

>

I think we have Ltlbvr (Brian) to thank for that - somehow he got them to recognize the misprint. I believe the Assenmacher should be recognized as well, it was on video coming out of two packs from the blackless lot, and two owners of blackless cards - halfnipponese and saucywombat have them in their collections that also had blackless cards. And most importantly, the Assenmacher has the distinctive blue plate scratch running vertically along the card.

• Options

@stanforddude said:

I believe Ltlbvr had his NNOF re-slabbed as Partial Blacks. That is probably what you're seeing as they made special arrangements with him. PSA looks to be considering the errors as a legitimate subset now. I'll let him speak to it as my info is second hand.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 4:42PM

@HalfNipponese said:

@stanforddude said:

I believe Ltlbvr had his NNOF re-slabbed as Partial Blacks. That is probably what you're seeing as they made special arrangements with him. PSA looks to be considering the errors as a legitimate subset now. I'll let him speak to it as my info is second hand.

I see. I was under the impression he had submitted one of the Frank Thomas cards in the picture you quoted with smaller chunks missing from his name. Those partial blackless cards were found in rookiewax’s case back in 2009 and are recognized by Beckett but not PSA (though they should be as they have been proven to be directly related to the NNOF). So PSA is just making a minor labeling change? I feel like this is only going to make pop count a little more confusing.

• Options

The card will be here tomorrow. It is not a nnof. It is a Partial Blackless. Just like West22 pictured. PSA 9. I was waiting until it’s here to post I was successful in getting the card recognized. I will post a picture when it arrives.

• Options

Sorry, Stanforddude posted the pic.

I submitted Assenmacher to PSA, with the Fisk and Hart express service. I’m going to post the videos of both Assenmacher I pulled coming from confirmed blackless packs. One including Russell.

I’m sure it’s part of the group. Hopefully it will be recognized.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 5:54PM

@Ltlbvr said:
    The card will be here tomorrow. It is not a nnof. It is a Partial Blackless. Just like West22 pictured. PSA 9. I was waiting until it’s here to post I was successful in getting the card recognized. I will post a picture when it arrives.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I wonder what made them change their mind? The Lawton, Tapani, Morris and Biggio are also affected in that run, and could be graded as such. The errors in the Tapani and Morris are very small. I also have some additional variations on those variations, believe it or not. There are a couple different versions of the Lawton. I know RookieWax pulled one of them in his case back in '09.

• Options

I have an F sheet print error somewhere in the house but I don't dare pull out my cards to look. My wife has pretty much had it with my PR blitz. It looks like it's snowing in the background with all the tiny white spots.

I'll scan all the orange cards I have that I'm sure were with my PB cards. I found 3 regular Nolan Ryan cards in my sleeved collection but I don't think they were pulled with rest. I traded for a lot of Ryan cards when I was a kid. I do have a rather interesting one that I just caught. Part of Ryan's name is missing on the front.

• Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Thanks @Ltlbvr. I’m planning to send mine in for grading in the near future and add another to the population. Not expecting a 9 though because mine is off-centered t/b and has a print dot in the red border on the top.

@Ltlbvr said:

• Options

Here's everything else I have.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there needs to be a distinction between blackless cards and common print defects that may have occurred on the sheets that the blackless cards got printed on.

What I mean is, when you see a card with a fisheye, dot, whatever, it didn'[[t just happen to that one card. I opened a rack box of '90 Topps and got three Rick Wrona wish a fisheye in his name. That print defect happened on multiple sheets; who knows how many. Regular print defects that occurred on the blackless sheets don't necessarily make them blackless (or "error") cards.

Arthur

• Options
    JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Shout out to HalfNipponese for sending me some other odd error cards from the 1990 Topps set. It's not everyday you find great people like yourself that just do it for the hobby. I appreciate you taking the time to mail me the cards. Hoping to add to my blackless card collection soon. Only have the Thomas NNOF and plan to get graded soon. Any others available, let me know. Thanks!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options

I was very excited to post a picture of a newly slabbed Partial Blackless Thomas. There is no doubt this is the card reflected in the population report. But, they didn’t update the flip. So I’ll need to send it back.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2020 2:57PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I think there needs to be a distinction between blackless cards and common print defects that may have occurred on the sheets that the blackless cards got printed on.

What I mean is, when you see a card with a fisheye, dot, whatever, it didn'[[t just happen to that one card. I opened a rack box of '90 Topps and got three Rick Wrona wish a fisheye in his name. That print defect happened on multiple sheets; who knows how many. Regular print defects that occurred on the blackless sheets don't necessarily make them blackless (or "error") cards.

Arthur

This is absolutely true. However I quite enjoy cataloging all variations that occur in the same print run as the NNOF Thomas. I realize that the orange sheet cards with the diagonal blue line (plate scratch) have no relation to the cause of the blackless errors, and have found many, many examples of other 1990 Topps cards with plate scratches of all colors. But those specific orange sheet cards with the blue slanty lines are significant because they ONLY occur on the blackless sheets - I have yet to find them anywhere else. They may not be considered errors by PSA or some in the community but they are significant variations in my eyes. I also consider the Pascual Perez card with the short black plate scratch above his name, and the Cal Ripken Jr with the white tadpole in bottom right to be variations specifically linked to the blackless print run, and thus, significant errors.

While I don't want people to use this thread as an excuse to post every fish eye they find in a 90 Topps pack, I do hope anyone with cards from the NNOF run posts any variation they find, no matter how minute. The Assenmacher card was a big find, in my opinion.

• Options

@Justfishinjj said:
    Shout out to HalfNipponese for sending me some other odd error cards from the 1990 Topps set. It's not everyday you find great people like yourself that just do it for the hobby. I appreciate you taking the time to mail me the cards. Hoping to add to my blackless card collection soon. Only have the Thomas NNOF and plan to get graded soon. Any others available, let me know. Thanks!

My pleasure. I have a few more if anyone wants some. On Friday I'll be packing them all up.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2020 7:25AM

Found this in my cards. This was in a lot of 3 boxes that had a partial blackless Frank Thomas, Nolan Ryan blue plate scratch, and Biggio partial blackless.
    I can't believe I missed it the first time around as I was looking through these cards quite closely.

• Options

I find it humorous that the newest partial blackless card is going to be one of the most populated. Are we up to 7 now?

• Options

I also have some other matching errors to Brian and Mark's packs:

Pascual Perez black plate scratch:

Sanderson black plate scratch and fish eye in nameplate:

Some interesting errors of note that I haven't seen yet but were also in these packs:
    Glavine last name:

Koufax black plate scratch:

• Options
    edited August 9, 2020 12:18PM

How rare is the partial black Frank Thomas? I was going to buy one on eBay but I mistakenly thought it was of higher quality. The seller was using pictures of other cards and I thought it re-slabbed. I feel bad about cancelling the order but maybe I'll be back in the market if the card indeed does get re-slabbed.

• Options

The pop count on the 414A.2 partial blackless Frank Thomas is around 12-15.

Rookiewax - 5 from his wax case
    Ross has 1 I think
    I have 3
    A guy on EBay selling them has 2-3
    Brian has 1
    Stanforddude just posted 1

• Options

@West22 said:

Ross has 1 I think
    I have 3
    Brian has 1

Ahhh, OK so it's directly related to to the same errors. I though it was part of another sequence of errors. Makes much more sense to me now.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2020 6:33PM

I believe it occurred simultaneously with the NNOF as another plate that went on the presses with damage, bad negative or improperly exposed negative/plate. I would guess the partial blackless population at printing was equal or greater to that of the NNOF, based on the copies found thus far and the few first hand experiences we have with folks opening error packs. However the current population is likely lower as the NNOF is almost universally recognizable and coveted while many copies of the partial blackless version are languishing in storage or thrown out every year.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 8:56AM

Soooo, Beckett has had my cards for 12 days but I haven't received any sort of update since they day they got them. Choosing that expensive express service really has paid off. Well at least I know what to expect when I send the Assenmacher in.

Does anyone know how charges will work? Since I asked for 2 day service, will I be charged less since they've missed that timeline by quite a bit.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2020 8:58AM

Does anyone live in the Chicago area? There appears to be a glitch in the Matrix as another partial blackless error card may be surfacing soon. My heart drop yesterday when I saw the card and I don't know what to think.

What are the odds of winning the lottery twice in a month? I don't want to get to excited until I have visual confirmation of the card but I'm hopeful there will be "sister" cards available. I'll let everyone know more details once I confirm the card is indeed a partial blackless variant. If you live in the area PM me.

• Options
    JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Dang it HalfNip- if you add more to your collection I am going to be super jealous! Leave some for the rest of us that only have one to our name. :)B) Good eye tho btw! Let us know if you get it!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2020 5:22PM

@HalfNipponese said:
    Does anyone live in the Chicago area? There appears to be a glitch in the Matrix as another partial blackless error card may be surfacing soon. My heart drop yesterday when I saw the card and I don't know what to think.

What are the odds of winning the lottery twice in a month? I don't want to get to excited until I have visual confirmation of the card but I'm hopeful there will be "sister" cards available. I'll let everyone know more details once I confirm the card is indeed a partial blackless variant. If you live in the area PM me.

I saw that on eBay. Did you win the auction?

It is the partial blackless Frank Thomas variation. It looks just like all the ones I have seen.

• Options

@West22 said
    I saw that on eBay. Did you win the auction?

It is the partial blackless Frank Thomas variation. It looks just like all the ones I have seen.

Yeah and I’m worried the rapture is coming. Generally I’m not a lucky person so this is freaky.

All I wanted was the Leaf rookie card and thought I’d give the Topps cards away as gifts. Once I get the card I’ll post the auction link. We’ll see if it shows up.

• Options

Definitely a partial blackless Thomas. Even has the little notch of missing black on the right side of the “O”. Congrats again @HalfNipponese !

• Options

@stanforddude said:
    Definitely a partial blackless Thomas. Even has the little notch of missing black on the right side of the “O”. Congrats again @HalfNipponese !

Thanks! I’m now waiting for my luck to swing the other way. Hopefully I don’t get run over by a car...again.😁

I finally have an update from Beckett on my cards. I had to contact customer service to find out what’s going on. They accidentally logged my submission as a 30 day service and I had to convince them their computer system was incorrect before they would actually look at the online submission form. They have now escalated my order so they are logged and in the repository. I have no idea what that actually means.

Fortunately for me, Beckett is going to allow me to pay the full grading price for a service level they came nowhere near meeting. They have me by the short hairs so I’ll concede.

• Options

THE CARD WAS LEGIT.

It came today and sure enough it looks like the other partial blackless Thomas cards. Below is the link to the auction. Sorry I didn't post it earlier but I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me. If you look at the seller's listings, he appears to be a bulk pack breaker. I reached out to see if the seller had any unopened packs but he was out. Considering that, I made no mention of why I asked to preserve the source. This will be the only forum I'll post about this in so you guys have a shot to check out the shop's "commons". I have no idea if he has anything or if he just pulled the stars out and trashed the rest.

Good luck hunting. I hope someone in the area can go in person and take a look. I'll post a scan of the card when I get a chance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Score-Topps-Leaf-FRANK-THOMAS-RC-ROOKIE-LOT-OF-14-WHITE-SOX-L6020/333674092940?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

@West22 said:

Ross has 1 I think
    I have 3
    Brian has 1

I currently have 4 or 5, I'll have to check.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Congrats @HalfNipponese! I've found a half dozen over the years doing just like you did.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com