Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

the printers of 90 topps were extremely lazy.

when a sheet goes down crooked it folds over and damages the printing blanket causing missing ink because it can not take it from the plate and transfer it to the blanket.

a good printer would catch this quickly.

a printer who’s “distracted” would allow the printing process to continue.

• Options

Hey guys. RoflesPosts brought up a good question the nobody realy answered. I have a few of the same ones he does. Especially the Biggio and the Sandberg. I have a crisp copy, and I have a VERY FADED and grey background, but the border is sharp. All the black is almost faded away. Are these considered part of this? And what about the Print lines, should I be saving those as well? Thanks in advance, and sorry if someone has already answered this...Rich

• Options
    LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

@cardshark0131 said:
    Hey guys. RoflesPosts brought up a good question the nobody realy answered. I have a few of the same ones he does. Especially the Biggio and the Sandberg. I have a crisp copy, and I have a VERY FADED and grey background, but the border is sharp. All the black is almost faded away. Are these considered part of this? And what about the Print lines, should I be saving those as well? Thanks in advance, and sorry if someone has already answered this...Rich

No, these are specific to the pattern of MISSING blank ink associated with the nnof Thomas.

• Options

@Ltlbvr said:

@cardshark0131 said:

No, these are specific to the pattern of MISSING blank ink associated with the nnof Thomas.

Are they worth slabbed goods?

• Options
    HalfNipponeseHalfNipponese Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020 8:48PM

I keep forgetting to post but I checked my Jackson and there isn't a crease in that area. Like Brian mentioned, my packs were full of complete garbage (or so I thought) when I opened them. It seems as though Topps may have pulled some defective sheets and later decided to process them anyway.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options

@cardshark0131 said:

@Ltlbvr said:

@cardshark0131 said:

If you happen to have a Partial Blackless card you should get it slabbed right away. A word of warning, PSA won't grade the PB cards with economy vouchers or bulk anymore. I guess this is a good thing as they recognize the value of the cards is over $500. Looks like I missed my chance by a few days.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:

@cardshark0131 said:

@Ltlbvr said:

@cardshark0131 said:

If you happen to have a Partial Blackless card you should get it slabbed right away. A word of warning, PSA won't grade the PB cards with economy vouchers or bulk anymore. I guess this is a good thing as they recognize the value of the cards is over $500. Looks like I missed my chance by a few days.

I also found 2 cards that have that crease that was mentioned. When you put them side by side, the surface crease. Like a wrinkle on the front, runs directly into the next card. When I get home. I'll post a pic . Its Pretty cool. And they're from the same sheet cut. Sheet F.

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@cardshark0131 said:
    @cardshark0131 said:
    But at this point I dont want to sell it I just wasnt aware of the value of this when I posted it the first time.

I almost forgot that you mentioned pulling this card from 35 pack box that also had a corrected Thomas. You were going to have it graded. What's the status of this card?

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

@junkwaxgems said:

@cardshark0131 said:
    @cardshark0131 said:
    But at this point I dont want to sell it I just wasnt aware of the value of this when I posted it the first time.

I almost forgot that you mentioned pulling this card from 35 pack box that also had a corrected Thomas. You were going to have it graded. What's the status of this card? Hey man. Sorry I didn't see this.. im not on to much lately. I ended up selling that Thomas and a bunch of Partial Blackless that came from the same box. I honestly had no idea the Blackless cards were a thing. I knew the Thomas was, but there were Sooooo many Allstars and Harts, there's even more now...I have a bunch of the Blackless, but yea the Thomas I sold when the Virus hit. I got 400 for it. He made out there, but it was nessasary at the time..

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020 3:14PM

Hey man. Sorry I didn't see this.. im not on to much lately. I ended up selling that Thomas and a bunch of Partial Blackless that came from the same box. I honestly had no idea the Blackless cards were a thing. I knew the Thomas was, but there were Sooooo many Allstars and Harts, there's even more now...I have a bunch of the Blackless, but yea the Thomas I sold when the Virus hit. I got 400 for it. He made out there, but it was nessasary at the time..

>

I’d like to see pics of the other cards besides the Thomas. The Thomas looked sketchy at the time, plus the fact that you only got $400 for it when the floor for any NNOF in any condition seems to be at least $1500.

• Options

@West22 said:

Hey man. Sorry I didn't see this.. im not on to much lately. I ended up selling that Thomas and a bunch of Partial Blackless that came from the same box. I honestly had no idea the Blackless cards were a thing. I knew the Thomas was, but there were Sooooo many Allstars and Harts, there's even more now...I have a bunch of the Blackless, but yea the Thomas I sold when the Virus hit. I got 400 for it. He made out there, but it was nessasary at the time..

>

I’d like to see pics of the other cards besides the Thomas. The Thomas looked sketchy at the time, plus the fact that you only got $400 for it when the floor for any NNOF in any condition seems to be at least $1500.

Sure. However may I ask why the sudden instructions on what to do for you? Why are you suddenly so interested in what I did with My card? I honestly don't care what you think, and I dont have to prove anything to you. That post was almost a year ago. Sketchy? I prayed a pic and asked if it was legit. I wasnt selling it. And now you want to see all my 90 topps? Are you the baseball card police doing an investigation on why I sold a raw copy of a card for half is value? SMH. Go harp on someone else, it's ain't like I'm pushing fake cards and blowing up the post. GOODBYE 👋

• Options

@cardshark0131 said:

@West22 said:

>

Sure. However may I ask why the sudden instructions on what to do for you? Why are you suddenly so interested in what I did with My card? I honestly don't care what you think, and I dont have to prove anything to you. That post was almost a year ago. Sketchy? I prayed a pic and asked if it was legit. I wasnt selling it. And now you want to see all my 90 topps? Are you the baseball card police doing an investigation on why I sold a raw copy of a card for half is value? SMH. Go harp on someone else, it's ain't like I'm pushing fake cards and blowing up the post. GOODBYE 👋

I’d rather not see a good thread derailed by petty arguments, but new finds on here are to be properly vetted. You made a claim of having other blackless cards. If you had them you would post up the pics. Yes, the Thomas did not look real. Sketchy is one word I would use to describe a fake. It wasn’t directed at you personally.

• Options

@West22 said:

@cardshark0131 said:

@West22 said:

>

I’d rather not see a good thread derailed by petty arguments, but new finds on here are to be properly vetted. You made a claim of having other blackless cards. If you had them you would post up the pics. Yes, the Thomas did not look real. Sketchy is one word I would use to describe a fake. It wasn’t directed at you personally.

I agree on this, however, until HalfNipponese's finds/info, this guy's post was a recent "discovery" and I since he claimed it came from a "sealed, 35 pack box" that included a corrected Thomas too, it was worth following up. Having held a few different fake NNOF Thomas', I'm entirely certain that his posted card was fake. And if he isn't interested in digging up the other cards after the new sales info on them, I'm even more suspicious. That said, I kinda was hoping that it was legitimate and that with more knowledge, he could prove it to be the case.

• Options

The last couple posts compel me to comment on one of the negative sides of collecting these cards. Most collectors have been great but there is a percentage of people that seem to get noticeably angry at the the suggestion that Partial Blackless cards are valuable. When I go to card shops, I don't dare bring them up due to the inevitable mocking I'm bound to receive. The funny part is it's the actual shop owners that try to belittle me.

I've also noticed that many people try to claim they found tons of PB cards and that they are were ultra common. Again I know this not to be true but the card shop regulars make sure to tell me I'm delusional. They love to claim they have dozens in their "common" boxes but I've yet to see any. A couple got visibly angry when I told them they should get them graded as they could be worth a grand each.

I'm pretty mild mannered and always polite so I was caught off guard by the reactions. I still love going to the card shop but talking about error cards is off limits now.

• Options
    JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

@HalfNipponese said:
    The last couple posts compel me to comment on one of the negative sides of collecting these cards. Most collectors have been great but there is a percentage of people that seem to get noticeably angry at the the suggestion that Partial Blackless cards are valuable. When I go to card shops, I don't dare bring them up due to the inevitable mocking I'm bound to receive. The funny part is it's the actual shop owners that try to belittle me.

I've also noticed that many people try to claim they found tons of PB cards and that they are were ultra common. Again I know this not to be true but the card shop regulars make sure to tell me I'm delusional. They love to claim they have dozens in their "common" boxes but I've yet to see any. A couple got visibly angry when I told them they should get them graded as they could be worth a grand each.

I'm pretty mild mannered and always polite so I was caught off guard by the reactions. I still love going to the card shop but talking about error cards is off limits now.

I think you should be proud of what you have and not be ashamed to talk about them with fellow collectors/card shops. They are probably uneducated about them and once they hear about their value they are kicking themselves in the buttocks because they may have thrown them out among other commons. I talk about them at my local shop and the guy is always welcoming to hear about my stories regarding the PB. Heck- another customer was actually in the shop and over heard our conversation and happen to have a box full of 1990 Topps in the shop and started frantically looking through them to see if he hit it big- haha. He did have a few of the players, but they were of the normal versions. Rock your cards man- I am always reading the checking out the cards on this thread and will never criticize your thoughts and sharing of information.

Error and RC collector.
  • Options

Everyone make sure to checkout Wave of Cards on YouTube. He and Stu opened a box of 1990 Topps today.

• Options

@junkwaxgems said:
    I agree on this, however, until HalfNipponese's finds/info, this guy's post was a recent "discovery" and I since he claimed it came from a "sealed, 35 pack box" that included a corrected Thomas too, it was worth following up. Having held a few different fake NNOF Thomas', I'm entirely certain that his posted card was fake. And if he isn't interested in digging up the other cards after the new sales info on them, I'm even more suspicious. That said, I kinda was hoping that it was legitimate and that with more knowledge, he could prove it to be the case.

Darn, I was hoping so as well. I was actually excited for the info to be real, because it gave hope to so many more boxes, but alas it was not to be. :neutral:

• Options

By any chance has anyone else sent in their PB Frank Thomas in for grading? PSA emailed me a while back and said that PB cards need to be submitted regular service or higher. Does anyone know if that also applies to the Frank Thomas cards now that they are being looked at as a PB set? I'm done with Beckett so SGC and PSA are my only options now.

• Options

I went ahead and sent my PB Frank Thomas in with a bulk submission. I'll post if I have to pay any up-charges.

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

In searching for these, I found 2 odd/error types.... you can see them..... if anyone wants I would sell......
    Jeff Hudson Line on front
    Jay Howell Ghost Image

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 3:34PM

nm

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2020 3:03PM

We'll I can confirm that the cards sold for almost exactly what Brian was paying for cards before he completed his collection. The McGriff sold for $800 and the Morris sold for $573 with 11 bidders. Was it someone from this board that won the actions?

• Options

Congrats to the winners. I was in on them until around $350 for Morris and $600 for the McGriff. Felt like there was just one other bidder I was upping the price with on both items from around 9-930PM. I believe after I went to bed a third bidder came in and pushed the price up to get the McGriff. I'll let them identify themselves if they want.

It was an interesting experience participating in my first real auction with an auction house. I was unaware that the entire auction stayed open until all bids on all items ended. I thought I had won the Morris around 930 when no one bid for 15 minutes.

Whoever won these cards has a real piece of interesting history. The fact that these shipped from Duryea to Japan and back is pretty cool. Very glad that Mark made them available and told his story. They were literally dug out of the trash! I hope some more surface in the future.

• Options

@West22 said:
    Congrats to the winners. I was in on them until around $350 for Morris and $600 for the McGriff. Felt like there was just one other bidder I was upping the price with on both items from around 9-930PM. I believe after I went to bed a third bidder came in and pushed the price up to get the McGriff. I'll let them identify themselves if they want.

It was an interesting experience participating in my first real auction with an auction house. I was unaware that the entire auction stayed open until all bids on all items ended. I thought I had won the Morris around 930 when no one bid for 15 minutes.

Whoever won these cards has a real piece of interesting history. The fact that these shipped from Duryea to Japan and back is pretty cool. Very glad that Mark made them available and told his story. They were literally dug out of the trash! I hope some more surface in the future.

Thanks West22. I probably won't be selling another card for awhile. I found a ton more Japanese cards like the one I sent you. I have my fingers crossed that I'll find a Ichiro in there.

• Options

Congrats on the sale. I was watching the auctions but didn't get a bid in. Tried talking the wife into it but we just aren't in the best financial place to get them at this time- hopefully next time! Let me know if ever interested in parting with them. Thanks

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    KGriffey24KGriffey24 Posts: 4
    edited December 8, 2020 11:53AM

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and am fascinated by what I am reading! I have been out of collecting since I was 13 or so, and I am just getting back into it. I've known about the NNOF Frank Thomas card, but had no idea about the partial blackless cards. My Brother actually pulled a NNOF back when these cards were new, but we had no idea and ended up throwing it away!!

I got my hands on a couple of boxes of unopend '90 Topps and pulled 3 Frank Thomas Rookie cards, which based on what I have read are the partial blackless (see pictures). I'm trying to figure out if it is worth spending he $$ to get them slabbed. Are they actually worth anything? I also pulled a couple of the Griffey Jr. cards that have the red scar/scrape on his arm. Anyone know anything about those? I'm starting to remember what I loved so much about this when I was young! Thanks in advance for any help!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have opened 3 rack cases of 90 Topps many years ago, and never pulled a No Name Frank Thomas.

• Options

Has anyone actually seen the only PSA10? It used to be owned by Dimitri Young who sold it for $25K. Now PWCC has it in their vault sales for over $400K. Personally I think if they were going to give one of these a PSA10 it should have been a stand out near pristine. Not kinda OC with a bottom right corner showing white. LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Topps-No-Name-on-Front-Frank-Thomas-414-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/224269049788?hash=item34377a1fbc:g:C84AAOSw3v1fzqoP

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I have opened 3 rack cases of 90 Topps many years ago, and never pulled a No Name Frank Thomas.

Not really a surprise given the limited quantity opened vs the scarcity. Oh, and the fact one has never been found in racks, only in wax.

• Options

@KGriffey24 said:
    Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and am fascinated by what I am reading! I have been out of collecting since I was 13 or so, and I am just getting back into it. I've known about the NNOF Frank Thomas card, but had no idea about the partial blackless cards. My Brother actually pulled a NNOF back when these cards were new, but we had no idea and ended up throwing it away!!

I got my hands on a couple of boxes of unopend '90 Topps and pulled 3 Frank Thomas Rookie cards, which based on what I have read are the partial blackless (see pictures). I'm trying to figure out if it is worth spending he $$ to get them slabbed. Are they actually worth anything? I also pulled a couple of the Griffey Jr. cards that have the red scar/scrape on his arm. Anyone know anything about those? I'm starting to remember what I loved so much about this when I was young! Thanks in advance for any help!

That's a nice stash. I think you'll want to slab them up as there aren't very many and PSA is recognizing the variant. I have one at PSA right now.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:

@KGriffey24 said:

That's a nice stash. I think you'll want to slab them up as there aren't very many and PSA is recognizing the variant. I have one at PSA right now.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. what is their typical turn around time? This would be my first submission.

• Options

@KGriffey24 said:
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking. what is their typical turn around time? This would be my first submission.

I'm not really sure what it'll be. My 2 day submission for Beckett took a little over a month. I'm guessing it'll take about 6 months or so.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over 20 years ago I unloaded all my commons including 1990 Topps. Wonder how many of these I may have had.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2020 11:58AM

@HalfNipponese said:

@KGriffey24 said:

I'm not really sure what it'll be. My 2 day submission for Beckett took a little over a month. I'm guessing it'll take about 6 months or so.

I just submitted all three. We'll see what happens! Thanks!

• Options

@KGriffey24 said:

@HalfNipponese said:

@KGriffey24 said:

I just submitted all three. We'll see what happens! Thanks!

Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 21, 2020 5:03PM

@Ltlbvr said:

Hello everyone. I've tried to keep my posts about opening the partial blackless packs to another thread so I don't gum this one up. I opened the 8 packs Live on Facebook yesterday and today. I got 2 known Blackless cards - Fisk and Russell. In the same pack (pack 4) as the Russell was Paul Assenmacher. He is next to Darrin Jackson and under Kevin Tapani. I got a second one in 7.

I'm looking for opinions on might this be another Blackless? It's similar to Jackson in that its a very small area. But that's not a fisheye dot (at least I dont think so).

I'd look to hear your thoughts. Again, I have video of these cards coming out of the same pack at the Russell Blackless.

I recently picked up a hanger pack of 1990 Topps since it had a Sammy Sosa RC on front, and noticed the hanger pack had quite a bit of wiggle room. I had originally bought the pack to keep sealed, but after receiving it I noticed the pack had a suspicious looking area near the top that I thought would not pass third party authentication. I decided to check collation of the pack to see if it was authentic, and started sliding cards up to see the names. I quickly stumbled on this Paul Assenmacher card nearly identical to the one Brian pulled from one of his packs that yielded a blackless Jeff Russell. The dot is slightly darker as if the error was partially corrected.

Alas, there was a Jeff Russell All Star card in the pack, but I could see the bottom border of the card and it was normal. I'll leave the pack unopened since it is an interesting oddity.

• Options

@West22 said:

Hello everyone. I've tried to keep my posts about opening the partial blackless packs to another thread so I don't gum this one up. I opened the 8 packs Live on Facebook yesterday and today. I got 2 known Blackless cards - Fisk and Russell. In the same pack (pack 4) as the Russell was Paul Assenmacher. He is next to Darrin Jackson and under Kevin Tapani. I got a second one in 7.

I'm looking for opinions on might this be another Blackless? It's similar to Jackson in that its a very small area. But that's not a fisheye dot (at least I dont think so).

I'd look to hear your thoughts. Again, I have video of these cards coming out of the same pack at the Russell Blackless.

I recently picked up a hanger pack of 1990 Topps since it had a Sammy Sosa RC on front, and noticed the hanger pack had quite a bit of wiggle room. I had originally bought the pack to keep sealed, but after receiving it I noticed the pack had a suspicious looking area near the top that I thought would not pass third party authentication. I decided to check collation of the pack to see if it was authentic, and started sliding cards up to see the names. I quickly stumbled on this Paul Assenmacher card nearly identical to the one Brian pulled from one of his packs that yielded a blackless Jeff Russell. The dot is slightly darker as if the error was partially corrected.

Alas, there was a Jeff Russell All Star card in the pack, but I could see the bottom border of the card and it was normal. I'll leave the pack unopened since it is an interesting oddity.

That's a cool find. I wonder if that pack was packaged in the same facility as the rack packs I opened.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 6:56AM

Update: I just heard that my 3 Frank Thomas partial blackless got 2 9s and 1 6 by PSA! the pop report has been updated! Has anyone found any clarity on value for these yet?

• Options

Hello everyone! Are these 1990 Topps relevant at all or is it common to find errors like these? I have several of them. Here are a few examples:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

• Options

@kgjwv said:
    Hello everyone! Are these 1990 Topps relevant at all or is it common to find errors like these? I have several of them. Here are a few examples:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Very common. Literally every box or factory set I've opened has a handful. For some reason a few of the Griffeys with the misaligned plates like that have sold very well. Otherwise, most are ignored.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@West22 said:

@Ltlbvr said:

I have 5 of those exact packs that I bought as a lot. One has Thomas showing on top and the other 4 have Thomas-sequence cards showing on top. I never thought to check the other 4 Thomas cards since the one that was showing was full name. Now I have to decide whether to leave it as a mystery or not.

Arthur

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Wow!
    Nice pulls!
    Was this a regular wax box?

• Options

Great pulls!! There is another Partial Blackless find about to go public in a pretty big way. I got a chance to talk PB cards with Matt Strahm a couple days ago.

• Options

Television debut of the 1990 Topps Partial Blackless set on The Card Life.

https://youtu.be/qL3Wpkh_yeQ

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Enjoyed that. Nice show.

You did well in your segment.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

That was incredibly cool. Pretty amazing.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

• Options

Looks like some collectors have noticed the difference in pop reports between this and the NNOF. I think at last count there were about a dozen in existence.

$6250 with 14 days left. That's going to be a pretty impressive hammer price.